Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-05-2016, 01:20 AM
Charter Member

Julian Assange (remember him?) update

When we last visited our friend Julian Assange, he was in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London, with bobbies out front, waiting to arrest him on a Swedish extradition warrant if he stepped out the door and back into British jurisdiction.

It sounds as if a UN panel is going to rule in a few hours that the four years he's been in the Ecuador embassy is arbitrary detention: Julian Assange is in arbitrary detention, UN panel finds.

I"m trying to get my head around this: there's been nothing stopping him for four years from leaving the Embassy, except his own fear of being arrested and sent to Sweden. But the Swedish and British courts have upheld the original rape investigation in Sweden, and the extradition warrant in Britain, so where's the arbitrariness? He's just avoiding answering legal process that anyone else would have to respond to.

I will be interested in reading the piece from the UN body. It sounds as if it is purely advisory, and the UK and Swedish governments plan to reject the findings.