Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 04-04-2018, 03:57 PM
John Mace's Avatar
John Mace is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Bay
Posts: 85,197
Did you ever wonder if, like, when you're dreaming, that's the real world and when you think you're awake, you're really dreaming? That kinda blows my mind, man. It, like, totally screws with reality!!
  #52  
Old 04-04-2018, 04:52 PM
kaylasdad99 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Why would a true Solipsist seek opinions on a message board? At best he'd be addressing imaginary reflections of imaginary people. That by itself is kinda nutty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Even a Solipsist gotta eat.
Heh. That could be fodder for an entirely new discussion. Couldnít a solipsist be able to benefit from setting out certain postulates and checking those postulates against his* personal experiences, to see if thereís significant divergence from what the postulates would predict?



*(or her. It could be a ďher.Ē)
  #53  
Old 04-04-2018, 05:07 PM
snfaulkner's Avatar
snfaulkner is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: 123 Fake Street
Posts: 7,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
On a more interesting note, the movie Ex Machina was wildly overrated.
Talk about tedious...that movie was that.
  #54  
Old 04-06-2018, 07:23 AM
Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 39,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jackson View Post
What if illusion is illusory and all there really is, is reality.

Man, THAT would suck.
Thanks - now my head hurts.

Regards,
Shodan
  #55  
Old 04-06-2018, 08:37 AM
digs's Avatar
digs is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 9,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
Did you ever wonder if, like, when you're dreaming, that's the real world and when you think you're awake, you're really dreaming? That kinda blows my mind, man. It, like, totally screws with reality!!
Add some weed smoke and Pink Floyd playing in a dorm room, and this is how the Matrix movies got written...
  #56  
Old 04-06-2018, 03:34 PM
DSeid's Avatar
DSeid is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 22,145
Have you been watching Legion ...
  #57  
Old 04-06-2018, 05:52 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
Did you ever wonder if, like, when you're dreaming, that's the real world and when you think you're awake, you're really dreaming? That kinda blows my mind, man. It, like, totally screws with reality!!
That's cruel on several levels. First it will send Machinaforce into fits of conniption-like existential angst, and then later, when he's calmed down a bit, it will very likely cause him to plague the board with yet another thread, asking that very question because he must have the answer in order to assuage the existential Weltschmerz that you, John Mace, have inflamed in this blameless young philosopher. I mean, what's the good of that? Which, come to think of it, is itself a terrific question that Machinaforce could pose via another new thread. What's the good* of anything, really?

*And what is "good"?
  #58  
Old 04-06-2018, 06:59 PM
Tamerlane is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Posts: 13,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post

*And what is "good"?
Pancakes.
  #59  
Old 04-06-2018, 08:09 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10,683
You jest, my friend, but I would suggest that there is a deeply interesting epistemological question here about the nature of "good", viz. - whether banning Machinaforce can be judged as an objective universal good from the perspective of a Kantian moral imperative. Applying the semantic ascent principle of contextualism, we arrive at the inescapable conclusion that there is no a priori objective sense in which banning Machinaforce could be anything but "good", and moreover, we can also infer that allowing his continued infestation of the board would be -- in the contextualist sense of moral epistemology -- "bad", or at least, within the strict meaning of experiential foundationalism, "extremely annoying".

I think there is a lot here for future philosophers to ruminate about.
  #60  
Old 04-06-2018, 09:59 PM
andros is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Dejagore
Posts: 10,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
And what is "good"?
That I cannot answer. But I do know what is best in life.
.
  #61  
Old 04-07-2018, 05:48 AM
WordMan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 22,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
You jest, my friend, but I would suggest that there is a deeply interesting epistemological question here about the nature of "good", viz. - whether banning Machinaforce can be judged as an objective universal good from the perspective of a Kantian moral imperative. Applying the semantic ascent principle of contextualism, we arrive at the inescapable conclusion that there is no a priori objective sense in which banning Machinaforce could be anything but "good", and moreover, we can also infer that allowing his continued infestation of the board would be -- in the contextualist sense of moral epistemology -- "bad", or at least, within the strict meaning of experiential foundationalism, "extremely annoying".

I think there is a lot here for future philosophers to ruminate about.
[Animal House]

...the Germans?
Forget it man, heís rolling!

[/AH]
  #62  
Old 04-07-2018, 08:09 AM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 18,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
You jest, my friend, but I would suggest that there is a deeply interesting epistemological...
I'm sorry but the word, "epistemological" is my Niagra Falls. I immediately stop reading anything that contains that word and go to my garage to curse loudly while violently kicking the garbage cans.
  #63  
Old 04-07-2018, 08:37 AM
WordMan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 22,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I'm sorry but the word, "epistemological" is my Niagra Falls. I immediately stop reading anything that contains that word and go to my garage to curse loudly while violently kicking the garbage cans.
What do you say instead? Itís a fancy word, but it covers an important thing. Knowability?
  #64  
Old 04-07-2018, 09:09 AM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 18,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
What do you say instead? Itís a fancy word, but it covers an important thing. Knowability?
It's been my experience that anything containing the word, "epistemological", is going to be insufferable sophistry, written to obscure an idea rather than reveal it.

I'm sure it's me; My wife often reminds me that I graduated university with a vocational school education.

(To wit: I probably just use the semi-colon wrong.)
  #65  
Old 04-07-2018, 11:05 AM
John DiFool's Avatar
John DiFool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 18,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
You jest, my friend, but I would suggest that there is a deeply interesting epistemological question here about the nature of "good", viz. - whether banning Machinaforce can be judged as an objective universal good from the perspective of a Kantian moral imperative. Applying the semantic ascent principle of contextualism, we arrive at the inescapable conclusion that there is no a priori objective sense in which banning Machinaforce could be anything but "good", and moreover, we can also infer that allowing his continued infestation of the board would be -- in the contextualist sense of moral epistemology -- "bad", or at least, within the strict meaning of experiential foundationalism, "extremely annoying".

I think there is a lot here for future philosophers to ruminate about.
Another casualty of applied metaphysics.
  #66  
Old 04-07-2018, 11:20 AM
andros is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Dejagore
Posts: 10,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I'm sure it's me; My wife often reminds me that I graduated university with a vocational school education.

(To wit: I probably just use the semi-colon wrong.)
Nah, the semicolon is great. Just don't capitalize the beginning of the next clause and you're golden.
  #67  
Old 04-07-2018, 11:59 AM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 18,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by andros View Post
Nah, the semicolon is great. Just don't capitalize the beginning of the next clause and you're golden.
You'd think they'd have mentioned it when I was signing for all those student loans.
  #68  
Old 04-07-2018, 12:48 PM
XT's Avatar
XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 35,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Did he(?) do another thread on the theme of 'if life is optional, why live'? I seem to recall a thread on that but the one you linked too is really short and I thought the one I was following was longer. If it's the same guy then, yeah, I agree with your original assertion in the OP...the dude needs some help.
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
  #69  
Old 04-09-2018, 05:10 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10,683
Oh ... my .... gawd!

This has now descended to Luciano700 levels, just without the hostility and blatant narcissism. What is it about this place that attracts these infants? Are we giving out free candy?
  #70  
Old 04-09-2018, 05:40 PM
Lamia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 13,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Oh ... my .... gawd!

This has now descended to Luciano700 levels, just without the hostility and blatant narcissism. What is it about this place that attracts these infants? Are we giving out free candy?
I would guess it's because no matter how obviously trollish or just plain dumb they are and no matter how many repetitive threads they start, people here keep engaging with them.

For a message board that prides itself on having intelligent, skeptical posters AND has a maxim about not feeding trolls, we have a lot of posters who can't seem to stop giving these idiots the attention they crave.
  #71  
Old 04-09-2018, 05:46 PM
begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 12,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
I would guess it's because no matter how obviously trollish or just plain dumb they are and no matter how many repetitive threads they start, people here keep engaging with them.

For a message board that prides itself on having intelligent, skeptical posters AND has a maxim about not feeding trolls, we have a lot of posters who can't seem to stop giving these idiots the attention they crave.
Hey, the dude's threads give me a chance to wax philosophical without me looking like the douche in the turtleneck. Sue me if I like to waste my time on nonsense now and then.
  #72  
Old 04-09-2018, 06:01 PM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 12,214
Some of the discussion turns out to be interesting, if you just ignore the OP. He rarely comes back anyway.
  #73  
Old 04-09-2018, 06:11 PM
Beckdawrek's Avatar
Beckdawrek is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: So.Ark ?
Posts: 15,644
He's just feeling un-loved. Bless his little ole heart.
  #74  
Old 04-09-2018, 06:23 PM
Lamia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 13,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
Hey, the dude's threads give me a chance to wax philosophical without me looking like the douche in the turtleneck. Sue me if I like to waste my time on nonsense now and then.
You can waste your time however you like. But if people are wondering (as wolfpup did) why the SDMB is a magnet for a certain type of idiotic narcissist, it's because they get showered with attention here. I personally wish people would do less to encourage these trolls, although I understand it can be difficult to just ignore people who post things that are obviously stupid or misguided...especially when they do it over and over again.
  #75  
Old 04-09-2018, 06:39 PM
begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 12,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
You can waste your time however you like. But if people are wondering (as wolfpup did) why the SDMB is a magnet for a certain type of idiotic narcissist, it's because they get showered with attention here. I personally wish people would do less to encourage these trolls, although I understand it can be difficult to just ignore people who post things that are obviously stupid or misguided...especially when they do it over and over again.
I'm not convinced that he's a troll. He might be fairly thick, and unwilling to budge from his preconceived notions, but that's hardly unique to him.
  #76  
Old 04-09-2018, 07:08 PM
Lamia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 13,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
I'm not convinced that he's a troll. He might be fairly thick, and unwilling to budge from his preconceived notions, but that's hardly unique to him.
I would recommend not giving him so much attention even if he's "just" a remarkably stupid and unpleasant person rather than a troll.

However, people who are both sincere and inflexible in their beliefs don't typically start one thread after another asking other people to change their minds about these beliefs. That sort of person might start a bunch of witnessing threads, or even a "This is what I believe, go ahead and prove me wrong if you can!" threads, but they wouldn't play Machinaforce's game of saying "I find the rantings of this lunatic I found in the dark recesses of the Internet to be strangely compelling. Won't someone try to persuade me it's not true?" It's an act calculated to get a response here, and thus far it's been working for him.
  #77  
Old 04-09-2018, 07:10 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10,683
It's not the "preconceived notions" part that's the problem, it's the "what is the meaning of life?" type questions being asked by an infantile moronic obsessive thread-starter apparently determined to turn the board into his own tedious personal blog.

There are plenty of folks here that I vehemently disagree with on a variety of issues and I'm under no illusion that I'm going to change their minds (or that they're going to change mine) but at least we can exchange something that passes for actual discernible information that rises above the level of the babbling of a street-corner lunatic.
  #78  
Old 04-09-2018, 07:15 PM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 18,261
He's an obsessive fucking twat.
  #79  
Old 04-09-2018, 07:24 PM
Ambivalid is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
He's an obsessive fucking twat.
Definitely. With his interminable pseudo-intellectual, life-pondering 'queries'. You can basically give the same answer for all of his threads: "just fuck it all man..."
  #80  
Old 04-09-2018, 08:08 PM
Morgenstern is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,866
How does love work? Who is this fucking stupid? Love is a woman kissing frogs until she finds her prince. If he's a frog, it's not a woman's fault.
  #81  
Old 04-09-2018, 08:14 PM
Ambivalid is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13,764
Love doesn't work. Love is an illusion and everybody would be better off committing suicide. Just fuck it all, there is no reason for life and the angst and struggle is meaningless and God is dead. I am going out and buying a shotgun right now. Bye Straight Dope. It's been real.
  #82  
Old 04-09-2018, 08:17 PM
Morgenstern is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Love doesn't work. Love is an illusion and everybody would be better off committing suicide. Just fuck it all, there is no reason for life and the angst and struggle is meaningless and God is dead. I am going out and buying a shotgun right now. Bye Straight Dope. It's been real.
Wait, can I borrow your black book since you won't be using it anymore?
  #83  
Old 04-09-2018, 08:19 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10,683
Wait, don't be too hasty. It's likely that life is all an illusion. We have another genius -- this one in GQ -- whose Mom lost the TV remote control and then found it right where she had already looked, thus proving that objects disappear and then reappear again, proof positive that we are living in a simulation and that there are glitches in The Matrix. He should get together with Machinaforce and discuss. This would be great, as long as they don't discuss it here.
  #84  
Old 06-09-2019, 08:02 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 61,306
Jesus Freud on a pogostick-the asshole is at it again. If you must respond to him, remember that he is NOT looking for explanations or fixes-he is in it for pity points.
  #85  
Old 06-10-2019, 03:49 AM
purplehorseshoe is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 9,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
He's just feeling un-loved. Bless his little ole heart.
*flinch*

Ouch. Damn.
__________________
I can haz sig line?
  #86  
Old 06-10-2019, 04:44 AM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 41,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Why would a true Solipsist seek opinions on a message board? At best he'd be addressing imaginary reflections of imaginary people. That by itself is kinda nutty.
My mother is both a solipsist and a social narcissist. She needs constant positive feedback and attention from people who exist solely in order to provide her with constant positive feedback and attention.

Yeah, it makes my head hurt too.
__________________
Evidence gathered through the use of science is easily dismissed through the use of idiocy. - Czarcasm.
  #87  
Old 06-10-2019, 02:14 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 10,949
The majority of Machinaforce topics summed up: "Buddhism is the most wonderful, perfect, correct religion in the world--why does it suck so much?"
  #88  
Old 06-10-2019, 04:01 PM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 25,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Jesus Freud on a pogostick-the asshole is at it again. If you must respond to him, remember that he is NOT looking for explanations or fixes-he is in it for pity points.
Nope, still just a troll.
  #89  
Old 06-10-2019, 05:36 PM
Swampwolf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 2,011
An intervention, either on the board or in reality (if reality even exists) won't do any good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinaforce View Post
Thing is that the guy I usually see (like over 4 years) I canít afford, and Iím not sure about starting from square 1. Last time I talked to one I could afford he was pretty bad.
It seems that he's not interested in getting help, which is too bad. I've known a lot of people like him. IANAPDoc, but he seems intelligent, but depressed, and prone to wandering down pathways that don't help his situation.

I often will check out his threads, hoping that in his search for enlightenment, he will have discovered that enlightenment is like a butterfly: run after it, and it will elude you. Sit still, and well...it'll probably ignore you. But at least you won't exhaust yourself. So far, it's all the same shtick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andros View Post
That I cannot answer. But I do know what is best in life.
.
"To crush your enemies -- see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!
toss me a slow pitch, why don't ya?
__________________
"_______________________________________"

-Marcel Marceau
  #90  
Old 06-10-2019, 07:19 PM
friedo's Avatar
friedo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 24,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampwolf View Post

I often will check out his threads, hoping that in his search for enlightenment, he will have discovered that enlightenment is like a butterfly: run after it, and it will elude you. Sit still, and well...it'll probably ignore you. But at least you won't exhaust yourself.
My dog used to run after butterflies. One time he caught one and ate it. I don't know if he found enlightenment, but he seemed pretty proud of himself.
  #91  
Old 06-10-2019, 07:34 PM
Isosleepy's Avatar
Isosleepy is offline
Friend of Cecil
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
Pancakes.
You are CORRECT, Sir!
  #92  
Old 06-10-2019, 08:08 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 10,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
My dog used to run after butterflies. One time he caught one and ate it. I don't know if he found enlightenment, but he seemed pretty proud of himself.

My dog tasted a toad once. He found lots of mouth-foam.
  #93  
Old 06-11-2019, 02:37 PM
Telemark's Avatar
Telemark is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Yet again, Titletown
Posts: 22,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinaforce View Post
I went to the site but there was nothing there.
I think this could be used as a plot summary for all of his threads.
  #94  
Old 06-11-2019, 03:54 PM
begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 12,592
I've been exchanging PMs with him for weeks - I get the impression that he initiated the exchange because I'm one of the few people that generally doesn't attack him personally.

He's given up solipsism and consciously recognizes that Buddhism-as-he-understands it is substanceless and doesn't make sense. I mostly get the impression that he for some reason has got it lodged into his head that things should make sense and, when faced with literal nonsense (which is what most of the links he forwards to me contain), there must be some underlying logic behind it.

Essentially he's a sucker for nonsense and deliberately obtuse philosophical psychobabble, and the reason he's a sucker for it is because he has a hard time believing that anybody can seriously present or believe in nonsense. Unlike the rest of us who can glance at things and reject them with a shrug and a "that's dumb", he has to actually disprove them before rejecting them, and it's hard to disprove something that you can't be sure you properly understand. And we can assert stuff all day, but until he understands the thing and the disproofs of it, he's not going to be able to let go.

In any case he's not a troll; he genuinely is seeking these answers. And he's certainly not a danger to himself or others.
  #95  
Old 06-12-2019, 06:07 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 25,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
In any case he's not a troll; he genuinely is seeking these answers.
I disagree, and I think you just got played.

My basis - my own PM exchanges with him, that I reported to the mods because of the implied suicide threats that mysteriously dried up as soon as reported.
  #96  
Old 06-12-2019, 02:35 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 61,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
I disagree, and I think you just got played.

My basis - my own PM exchanges with him, that I reported to the mods because of the implied suicide threats that mysteriously dried up as soon as reported.
My take also. He doesn't just ignore people that (rightfully) get pissed off at him-he also ignores all responses that point to possible solutions to his unending list of complaints and problems. To get a positive response you have to show acceptance and sympathy. he is here to bitch and moan because he wants to be a victim.
  #97  
Old 06-12-2019, 03:38 PM
DrFidelius's Avatar
DrFidelius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Miskatonic University
Posts: 12,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
I disagree, and I think you just got played.



My basis - my own PM exchanges with him, that I reported to the mods because of the implied suicide threats that mysteriously dried up as soon as reported.
I agree which is why I no longer waste any time with him.
__________________
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
  #98  
Old 06-12-2019, 06:24 PM
begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 12,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
I disagree, and I think you just got played.

My basis - my own PM exchanges with him, that I reported to the mods because of the implied suicide threats that mysteriously dried up as soon as reported.
I acknowledge that I can't prove that he's not merely putting on a persona. A multi-years-sustained persona.

(I also can't prove he -and you- are not bots. Sophisticated bots.)

I'd worry a lot more about being "played" if I ever spent any time on here that I could be spending doing something else more interesting elsewhere. I mean, no offense, but you guys are sort of my entertainment of last resort. If I'm killing time chatting with a pointlessly sustained persona, no harm no foul as far as I'm concerned. Honestly you should thank me for taking up a smidgen of his time.
  #99  
Old 06-13-2019, 04:03 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 25,548
Naah, at this point I'd rather he just goes away.

I mean, imagine someone else was toying with the idea of looking into Buddhism, and then they come across his bullshit?
  #100  
Old 06-13-2019, 11:54 AM
begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 12,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Naah, at this point I'd rather he just goes away.

I mean, imagine someone else was toying with the idea of looking into Buddhism, and then they come across his bullshit?
Okay, I'm imagining it, just as you asked. I'm imagining the dude coming across a typical Machinaforce thread about Buddhism, which typically includes links to Buddhism-related blog articles written by people who are not Machinaforce, along with Machinaforce making dubious interpretations of the contents of those articles, often along with other people ripping his dubious interpretations to shreds. What would their reaction be?

1) They instantly believe Machinaforce's interpretation, don't bother to click and read the links, doggedly ignore everybody's refutations, and sink into a pit of despair.

2) They click the links, read the articles, roll their eyes at Machinaforce, and become devout Buddhists because Machinaforce helpfully gathered Buddhism-related blog articles to help start them down the path.

3) They read the articles, read Machinaforce's interpretations, and then read the refutations to him, including ones like the ones I make which incidentally mention that Buddhism sounds stupid. They abandon Buddhism, become an atheist, and live happily ever after and the whole world is slightly better as a result.

Which outcomes do you suppose are more likely?
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017