Old 03-18-2018, 10:02 AM

Hah. "Wafting stench". The guy's a supporter of a white supremacist party. And his bunch aren't the fringe any more, they're just the lunatics.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:16 PM

Can't reply properly in the Elections forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
... Others are probably employing illegals ....
Another right wing charmer. Yeah I get it, it's easier to hate people and treat them other than you would treat regular humans if you remove their humanity. A right wing standard play.
Since I can't call HD a fucking douchebag in that forum, I'll do it here.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:32 PM

If only he bothered to read here. Useless lump.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:03 AM

I can't decide if he's a troll or a moron. I'm leaning towards him just being a straight up fucking moron.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
I doubt there are many Dopers who can resist reading their own Pit threads, even when they're too craven or mock-virtuous to participate.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Per a PM exchange I had with him several months ago, he revealed (probably inadvertently) that he does. And IIRC he posted to at least one PIT thread recently, though not this one.

If you're reading (and I know you probably are), HD, your continued defense and cheerleading for someone who bragged about violating the consent of women (and teenage girls!), while pretending to actually care about moral values and the mistreatment of women, is disgusting, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 03-28-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Per a PM exchange I had with him several months ago, he revealed (probably inadvertently) that he does. And IIRC he posted to at least one PIT thread recently, though not this one.

If you're reading (and I know you probably are), HD, your continued defense and cheerleading for someone who bragged about violating the consent of women (and teenage girls!), while pretending to actually care about moral values and the mistreatment of women, is disgusting, and you should be ashamed of yourself.
Of course you know he won't be. The very fact that you are suggesting he should feel any shame at all is just evidence to him that his position is correct. Because you are a liberal, and therefore wrong in all things.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:53 AM

HD is no dummy. He's figured out the rules here and he plays by them. If that pisses off a few along the way, he's fine with it. Actually, get him into a thread that isn't political in nature, and he's a pretty decent poster. It's just that, as Republicans go, he's a socially awkward troll. I suspect even that is an act.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Pretending to be a troll? How does that work, exactly?
Old 03-28-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Pretending to be a troll? How does that work, exactly?
You think he's going to give up his secrets? Seriously, engage him on a non-political issue and he's not a bad poster. He just puts on his MAGA hat whenever someone criticizes the current administration and then trolls like rooster at sunrise.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:41 AM

Well, it's the meme. Say something stupid, get called out or laughed at, claim you were only trolling.

But people know who he is. We know he's an asshole and a troll. He's not a good and decent person. He can blow that off all he wants, but that's the reputation he creates for himself.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
Seriously, engage him on a non-political issue and he's not a bad poster. He just puts on his MAGA hat whenever someone criticizes the current administration and then trolls like rooster at sunrise.
Just what we need. Another Clothahump.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:12 AM
Charter Member

He's like a Clothahump who tries harder. Way too hard, actually. Won't shut up. And I think he may be just young enough to really believe that the identity between gun rights, "conservatism," small government, tax cuts, and the GOP is a normal historical thing rather than the product of relatively recent propaganda.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:15 AM

HD's all concerned about Syria:

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=848214

Of course, he doesn't direct one iota of criticism at Trump, even though his supposedly biggest concern about Hillary was her talk about a no-fly zone in Syria escalating things with Russia.

But of course he has no concern that frickin' bombing Russian allies in Syria might escalate things...

Because he's a lying piece of shit.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 04-14-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:26 PM

Lest there is any doubt how big of a Trump fanboy HD really is.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:56 PM

HD is back, and he thinks non-white immigrants are inferior and undesirable (or at least the ones from poor countries). What a shock!

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...5#post21038215

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 06-21-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, one of my prouder moments, when I was able to get one of the more "normal" righties on this board go full-on racist. And classist, too!
Old 06-22-2018, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
HD is back, and he thinks non-white immigrants are inferior and undesirable (or at least the ones from poor countries). What a shock!

And I got a note from the mod for noticing that. Oh well, I will dial that back, but really, I do think that the mods not making a note to HD for using hate speech, under the context of the thread and for directing that insult to a poster from one of those "inferior" nations is silly.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 06-22-2018 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
And I got a note from the mod for noticing that. Oh well, I will dial that back, but really, I do think that the mods not making a note to HD for using hate speech, under the context of the thread and for directing that insult to a poster from one of those "inferior" nations is silly.
I was surprised at who was getting mod notes in that thread.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:46 AM

Seems like you can be as racist as you want if you do so without personal insults and you can call someone out for it, but stay within the lines, at least in GD.

He's getting more pathetic as time goes on. When you're a bigot, you vote for someone if only because they hate the same people as you do. Since he's in your tribe, he can do no wrong.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:10 AM

I think the prime characteristic HD is demonstrating is that his highest value is angering/hurting liberals. More than any political issue, or any moral principle. By my perception, he shows by far the most glee and happiness when something is angering liberals, whether it's hurting children, a bigoted policy, or something else.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was surprised at who was getting mod notes in that thread.
It's more evidence, if any were needed, of the mods' Affirmative Action standard for conservatives. Oh, well, the soft bigotry of low expectations, I guess.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think the prime characteristic HD is demonstrating is that his highest value is angering/hurting liberals. More than any political issue, or any moral principle. By my perception, he shows by far the most glee and happiness when something is angering liberals, whether it's hurting children, a bigoted policy, or something else.
Yes, I thought you lost that argument pretty badly too.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 06-22-2018, 07:25 AM

nm

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 06-22-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Yes, I thought you lost that argument pretty badly too.

Regards,
Shodan
You mean you're not my biggest fawning fan? You wound me!
Old 06-22-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
I suspect that fragile little Ditka snowflake uses the “report” button a lot. Whiny little bitch.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:

HD did not say what you claim he said.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:13 AM

Pedantry in support of racism is not an avenue I'd be particularly interested in walking down, but you do you Barmy.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andros View Post
Pedantry in support of racism is not an avenue I'd be particularly interested in walking down, but you do you Barmy.
Twisting people's words in order to accuse them of nastiness is not something I approve of. It sounds like it's your thing, though.

OTOH, considering the amount of sheer stupidity that I've seen from you over your time here, it may be that you simply have no clue here either.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps View Post
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. If HD thinks I mischaracterized his views, he's welcome to come here and defend himself.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Twisting people's words in order to accuse them of nastiness is not something I approve of. It sounds like it's your thing, though.

OTOH, considering the amount of sheer stupidity that I've seen from you over your time here, it may be that you simply have no clue here either.
So, brown people like me are a failure for not lifting a nation like El Salvador and do not deserve a chance to improve their lives and the lives of others in the USA?

Well, I guess I have to thank you for showing all that you are indeed clueless.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
So you're perfectly willing to make inferences about someone you don't like (me), but feel the need to call out other people when they do the same about someone else. I get it, but let's at least acknowledge the inconsistency.

Quote:
And here I thought we'd been getting along lately.

Plain fact is that HD is clearly coming across to many in that thread as saying some blatantly racist things. I understand that you disagree, but you might want to bring along more than a "you're mischaracterizing his words" drive-by and actually explain why you believe his statements do not actually target brown people despite appearances.

(OTOH if all you want is to call me stupid, there are plenty of opportunities to do so. Again, you do you, and I wish you well of it.)
Old 06-22-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
So you're perfectly willing to make inferences about someone you don't like (me), but feel the need to call out other people when they do the same about someone else. I get it, but let's at least acknowledge the inconsistency.
Accuracy is significant here. I made a correct inference, and called out an incorrect one. Though perhaps you would consider that distinction "pedantry".
Quote:
Plain fact is that HD is clearly coming across to many in that thread as saying some blatantly racist things.
I didn't read that thread. I read the post that iiandyiiii quoted, plus I went back a few posts in that exchange to see the context. iiandyiiii distorted what HD was saying.
Quote:
I understand that you disagree, but you might want to bring along more than a "you're mischaracterizing his words" drive-by and actually explain why you believe his statements do not actually target brown people despite appearances.
There's nothing to say. HD didn't make any statement about brown people. There are no appearances that need to be explained away. This is purely about people looking to twist innocuous statements into racist ones, whether in order to score points (aka the "race card") or because their own mindset is warped WRT race issues.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:57 AM

Only F-P's interpretation of posts is correct! No one can ever have a different interpretation of any posts without being wrong. Thank you for sharing your inerring wisdom with us poor mortals!
Old 06-22-2018, 09:02 AM

The suggestion that the state of development of the nation from which an immigrant flees is somehow attributable to their individual skills and merit is completely incoherent unless you understand it to be a racist claim. The people who deny that are the ones whose "mindset is warped WRT race issues."
Old 06-22-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Accuracy is significant here. I made a correct inference, and called out an incorrect one. Though perhaps you would consider that distinction "pedantry".
You know what, you're absolutely correct. Your initial post above was not being pedantic, and you have my sincere apologies for it. Perhaps I'm deliberately looking for something that's not there, and that's really unfair and unkind of me. If your posts sometimes get on my nerves, that's my hangup, and I shouldn't be on the attack. Again, I'm sorry.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Parker View Post
The suggestion that the state of development of the nation from which an immigrant flees is somehow attributable to their individual skills and merit is completely incoherent unless you understand it to be a racist claim.
It's admittedly a very shaky claim, but it's not at all incoherent. That's ridiculous. To the contrary, it's extremely coherent - the problem with it is that it's too simplistic.
Quote:
You know what, you're absolutely correct. Your initial post above was not being pedantic, and you have my sincere apologies for it. Perhaps I'm deliberately looking for something that's not there, and that's really unfair and unkind of me. If your posts sometimes get on my nerves, that's my hangup, and I shouldn't be on the attack. Again, I'm sorry.
OK, we're good.

But what's this thing of adding an extra period at the end of every post?
Old 06-22-2018, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I didn't read that thread. I read the post that iiandyiiii quoted, plus I went back a few posts in that exchange to see the context. iiandyiiii distorted what HD was saying.There's nothing to say. HD didn't make any statement about brown people. There are no appearances that need to be explained away. This is purely about people looking to twist innocuous statements into racist ones, whether in order to score points (aka the "race card") or because their own mindset is warped WRT race issues.
I think it is worse to ignore when someone from those 'infesting' countries, as Trump is describing the families who are being separated, is telling you that it is racist. It is really tiresome to see people like you ignoring the context forest for the weak excuse tree.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 06-22-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I think it is worse to ignore when someone from those 'infesting' countries, as Trump is describing the families who are being separated, is telling you that it is racist.
You don't get special authority in interpreting someone else's statements just because you're a member of the group being discussed.

The opposite, if anything.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Would you rather see "Regards"?
Old 06-22-2018, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You don't get special authority in interpreting someone else's statements just because you're a member of the group being discussed.

The opposite, if anything.
Just like the ones demanding privilege talk. Incidentally racism to me is just a form of ignorance and here I'm taking into account how Trump even undermined people like HD that are defending a policy that Trump even 'corrected'. This is no different from the guys that stood up talking about defending their heritage when in reality they are/were defending monuments to disparage the memory of the slaves and their descendants.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 06-22-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. HD's post was insolent, sarcastic and nasty but made no racist statement: in fact it made little statement at all but was cleverly phrased like a rhetorical question.

And in a way I can't blame the Board's right-wingers for resorting to snideness and insolence. The Board's liberals sow what they reap.

It's all rather sad, really. America needs to re-ignite a bipartisan dialog and the SDMB could help in that task: there are many intelligent and articulate Dopers from both the "left" and from the "right." Yet mostly we waste energy telling the other side how much we hate them.

Here's a Modest Proposal: The Board's right-wingers should start a thread in IMHO debating among themselves, with lefties asked to confine their participation to asking an occasional respectful question.

It might work — especially if the righties just ignore any disrespectful injections. I think the rest of us could learn a lot about the right-wing mind-set just be watching the Board's righties debate among themselves.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Fair enough. HD's post was insolent, sarcastic and nasty but made no racist statement
I didn't describe it as "racist". I understand that some will disagree, but I think my actual characterization of the post, and the actual words I used, were reasonable.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Fair enough. HD's post was insolent, sarcastic and nasty but made no racist statement: in fact it made little statement at all but was cleverly phrased like a rhetorical question.
Not sure we're referring to the same post. I was commenting on the post linked in iiandyiiii's post above.

In that other thread, JohnT had claimed the US needed immigrants from non-white countries in order to be economically robust. HD responded that these immigrants had not been making their home countries economically robust, so the notion that they would make the US economically robust is unconvincing.

It's a rather simple, intuitive, and on-point response. At the same time, it's also overly simplistic. JohnT's point had been that the US in particular is in a position where population growth is essential and this is something these immigrants could provide. By contrast, in their home countries, population growth was not crucial and there were other obstacles to economic growth. As I said above, it was a shaky point. (That said, by the standards of the bilge which routinely passes for thought on this board, it's not bad. Probably in the upper half, I would guess.)

But in any event, right or wrong, it was a substantive if simplistic argument, there was nothing whatsoever racist about it, and it did not involve any denigration of non-white people as a group.

Last edited by Fotheringay-Phipps; 06-22-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
But in any event, right or wrong, it was a substantive if simplistic argument, there was nothing whatsoever racist about it, and it did not involve any denigration of non-white people as a group.
If someone said "Considering how poorly Africans have managed Africa, I don't think importing a bunch of Africans, who have been entirely unable to manage their home continent, would be beneficial to our country" -- would you also describe it as "a substantive if simplistic argument, there was nothing whatsoever racist about it, and it did not involve any denigration of non-white people as a group"?
Old 06-22-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
If someone said "Considering how poorly Africans have managed Africa, I don't think importing a bunch of Africans, who have been entirely unable to manage their home continent, would be beneficial to our country" -- would you also describe it as "a substantive if simplistic argument, there was nothing whatsoever racist about it, and it did not involve any denigration of non-white people as a group"?
Depends on context.

If the person made that statement in a vacuum, then it sounds bad.

But if the person was responding to someone else who said "the US needs for a lot of Africans to come here and manage this country", then it's completely benign. HD's comment was made in that context.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Depends on context.

But if the person was responding to someone else who said "the US needs for a lot of Africans to come here and manage this country", then it's completely benign. HD's comment was made in that context.
Okay, so then we've found the point or points of our disagreement. I don't think I agree 100% about the context. But even in the exact context you suggest, I think it would be reasonable to characterize such a statement as implying that Africans are "inferior" and "undesirable" (the terms I used) in terms of helping to manage the US.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I edit my posts relatively often, whether due to fat-fingering, typing faster than my brain, or multitasking. When we edit, the "Last edited by" note appears immediately below the last line of the post. I found it unsightly and cluttered, and began inserting an extra period whenever I edited in order to create some separation and hopefully improve readability (as VBB eliminates carriage returns at the end of posts). Apparently I edit often enough that it became simpler to add it in the majority of my posts by default.

tl;dr: It's a useless quirk.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Depends on context.

I can picture Willie Wonka saying "reverse that".

I take context into account to conclude what I said. There can not be a worst context than defending an inhumane policy from a president that uses terms like "animals" (it may be plausible to claim that it was just directed to gangs, but Trump' s statements later showed that it was his intention to call all of the Hispanics as such) or that the families are "infecting" America.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Not sure we're referring to the same post.
Probably not. I clicked the blue-arrows in the quote boxes and stopped when after a chain of seven or so, I finally got to a HD post.

So, what do you think of my advice to open a thread for right-wingers to debate right-wingers on substantive issues?
(The subthread here right now is nonsensical: scrutinizing semantic details unrelated to any policy matter.)