Old 06-09-2019, 12:26 PM

The Metric system is the tool of the devil!

The global tyranny of the metric system rears its head on Tucker Carlson tonight.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:32 PM

Ignorance knows no bounds.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:32 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Will all Tucker's viewers immediately ditch their 9mm handguns for a good American .45cal? Tune in tonight!
Old 06-09-2019, 03:09 PM

Is it a requirement to watch the entire video to participate in this thread? I tried, I really did, twice. I just couldn't take it though and never made it further than "new world orders" before I had to shut off the clip.

QuickSilver summed it up nicely

Last edited by DorkVader; 06-09-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Will all Tucker's viewers immediately ditch their 9mm handguns for a good American .45cal? Tune in tonight!
No, a .357.

See how hard the metric system is?
Old 06-09-2019, 03:19 PM

Generally, I find that YouTube comments are some of the most moronic on the web, but the comments on that video are spot-on.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Ignorance knows no bounds.
We certainly couldn't measure the bounds with no metric system, that's for damn sure.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkVader View Post
Is it a requirement to watch the entire video to participate in this thread? I tried, I really did, twice. I just couldn't take it though and never made it further than "new world orders" before I had to shut off the clip.
You should have stuck it out a little longer - to the bit where the interviewee appears to claim that America put men on the moon without interference from the metric system. Part of me hopes that's true.

Here's a little something that may amuse you, if you haven't seen it before - the US's resistance to the metric system has some odd effects. Some animal health products are sold as high concentration premixes for addition to animal feed (hey - ever tried to get a pig to take a tablet?). OK, so how do you get around dosing in grams when you're talking to a farmer?

Simple. Like this.

Quote:
Active Drug Ingredient Tylosin (as tylosin phosphate) . . . 100 g per lb
Makes designing a rocket in foot-poundals seem logical.

j
Old 06-09-2019, 04:44 PM

....My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and thats the way I likes it!
Old 06-09-2019, 06:02 PM

Some gems:
  • Tucker correctly pronouncing Buenos Aires, Lusaka, Esperanto, and Criterion but faking ignorance of Kilometer.
  • Guest calling himself an "anti-Metrite"
  • A surprising focus on French revolutionary history
  • Terms like "ancient knowledge" and "global tyranny"
  • Tucker briefly contemplating replacing the Dollar for the Euro

Last edited by orcenio; 06-09-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:09 PM

Doesn't the U.S. military use the metric system, what with "klicks" and shit? Does Tucker Carlson not Support the Troops?
Old 06-09-2019, 06:26 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
You should have stuck it out a little longer - to the bit where the interviewee appears to claim that America put men on the moon without interference from the metric system. Part of me hopes that's true.
This Reddit post suggests that NASA used both metric and Imperial units in the Apollo program; scientific data, in particular, apparently was more likely to use metric.

The Reddit post contains a link to another article, written by an engineer who worked on the Lunar Module Guidance Computer; he states:

Quote:
With respect to units, the LGC was eclectic. Inside the computer we used metric units, at least in the case of powered-flight navigation and guidance. At the operational level NASA, and especially the astronauts, preferred English units. This meant that before being displayed, altitude and altitude-rate (for example) were calculated from the metric state vector maintained by navigation, and then were converted to feet and ft/sec.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:07 PM

This is hilarious. All automotive oems use the metric system now.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:32 PM

A mile is a thousand paces @ 5' each. I wonder if anyone has the legs for a 5' stride.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
A mile is a thousand paces @ 5' each. I wonder if anyone has the legs for a 5' stride.
Romans counted a pace as two steps - the distance between where your right foot hits the ground to where your right foot next hits the ground.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:27 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Doesn't the U.S. military use the metric system, what with "klicks" and shit? Does Tucker Carlson not Support the Troops?

When I was in Basic Combat Training, one Drill Sergeant constantly repeated "Keep three meters apart; keep three meters apart" when we were on cross-country marches. Oddly enough, he was from Mexico and what he thought was three meters was actually three feet.

And, yes, the US military does use SI. Of course there are some unusual terms in the US. For example, my unit conversion app does not have a measure termed shit, but it does have both assload (1 assload = 3 kg) and shit-ton (1 shit-ton = 4,000,000 pounds).
Old 06-09-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Here's a little something that may amuse you, if you haven't seen it before - the US's resistance to the metric system has some odd effects. Some animal health products are sold as high concentration premixes for addition to animal feed (hey - ever tried to get a pig to take a tablet?). OK, so how do you get around dosing in grams when you're talking to a farmer?

Simple. Like this.
Sadly, I've encountered it before, in the form of an American lab manager who claimed that "everybody measures density in kilograms per quart!" The out-of-the-US factories had previously used either kg/l or specific gravity (identical numbers, different units); we'd all moved to specific gravity as part of a company-wide project (a tiny, tiny, tiny part of it).

There was a moment of silence while we processed the horror of that American unit. Then the one Englishman present said "excuse me, I would like to take this response" and the rest of us agreed. It's a pity it was before telephone cameras, because damn that was one of the most beautiful rants I've ever witnessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
I thought shit was customarily measured in bovine units.

Last edited by Nava; 06-09-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:46 PM

I work for a supplier to the automotive oems, we use SI exclusively. But it never fails, anytime I hire a contractor They tell me the old saying theres only 2 types of countries, those that have been to the moon, and those that use the metric system. Its usually just meant as a funny down home trope (is trope correct?) but evidently Tucker Carlson wants to use it as a serious talking point to keep dipshits voting for idiots.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:19 AM
Charter Member

I worked on an archaeological dig once. The director wanted to use feet and inches for measurement. I urged that he switch to metric. His compromise was to excavate levels in tenths of feet!
Old 06-10-2019, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

Burma and Liberia have not been to the moon
Russia and China have landed on the Moon (just not with people), and India has/is orbiting it.

Brian
Old 06-10-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitas View Post
I worked on an archaeological dig once. The director wanted to use feet and inches for measurement. I urged that he switch to metric. His compromise was to excavate levels in tenths of feet!
Am I correct to say Ford once used tenths of inches in its cars? I seem to recall you need special tools to work on some classic Ford cars.

A Google brings up nothing much.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 06-10-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
This Reddit post suggests that NASA used both metric and Imperial units in the Apollo program; scientific data, in particular, apparently was more likely to use metric.

The Reddit post contains a link to another article, written by an engineer who worked on the Lunar Module Guidance Computer; he states:
Thanks for that, Kenobi, those links were fascinating. I now have a mental picture of that old Nazi Werner von Braun, having been hustled back to the USA after the war, being brought before military officials to be "deprogrammed" - not of Nazism, but of SI units. Jesus.

j
Old 06-10-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Sadly, I've encountered it before, in the form of an American lab manager who claimed that "everybody measures density in kilograms per quart!" The out-of-the-US factories had previously used either kg/l or specific gravity (identical numbers, different units); we'd all moved to specific gravity as part of a company-wide project (a tiny, tiny, tiny part of it).

There was a moment of silence while we processed the horror of that American unit. Then the one Englishman present said "excuse me, I would like to take this response" and the rest of us agreed. It's a pity it was before telephone cameras, because damn that was one of the most beautiful rants I've ever witnessed.
I have to ask: did your English colleague address the additional layer of complication caused by the fact that a US quart is not the same as an Imperial quart?

(In the days before you could instantly resolve such questions by googling them on your phone, I once had an absurd cyclical argument with a US friend about gallons which were not the same as gallons because the pints they were made up of were not the same as pints because....)

j
Old 06-10-2019, 09:04 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Surely that is satire. No one is that dumb.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcenio View Post
The global tyranny of the metric system rears its head on Tucker Carlson tonight.
Thanks for that; it really got my day started well. I'll be sharing that with friends & family all day.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
Generally, I find that YouTube comments are some of the most moronic on the web, but the comments on that video are spot-on.
The video is from Buffy Browncoat, not from FoxNews.

Their big argument for "customary" units is that a third of a foot is 4 inches nice and simple. I think a reason that anti-Metricism hasn't caught on among FoxPotatoes is that many of them couldn't correctly answer "How many inches in a third of a foot?" anyway.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:20 AM

Go ask one of those guys if a century is metric.

How about Top Ten lists?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-10-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Easy, if you're wearing your 7-league boots.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Easy, if you're wearing your 7-league boots.
Unfathomable.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Just FYI, the metric system has been "the preferred system of weights and measures for United States trade and commerce" pursuant to federal law since 1975. It's just not mandatory.

As for the OP, it would be nice to get a summary or description of the linked video. I'm not watching a second of Tucker Carlson on the off chance that I might find something amusing.
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)

Last edited by Acsenray; 06-10-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcenio View Post
Some gems:
  • Tucker correctly pronouncing Buenos Aires, Lusaka, Esperanto, and Criterion but faking ignorance of Kilometer.
He even threw in a gratuitous reference to Robespierre (which he also pronounced correctly).

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-10-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Just FYI, the metric system has been "the preferred system of weights and measures for United States trade and commerce" pursuant to federal law since 1975. It's just not mandatory.

As for the OP, it would be nice to get a summary or description of the linked video. I'm not watching a second of Tucker Carlson on the off chance that I might find something amusing.
The OP is a summary of the linked video: it's Tucker Carlson & a guest talking about how the metric system is a tyranny imposed by liberals even tho feet and inches are way better because people have limbs. The guest seems to be making it his personal crusade and Carlson is sympathetic.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-10-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
The OP is a summary of the linked video: it's Tucker Carlson & a guest talking about how the metric system is a tyranny imposed by liberals even tho feet and inches are way better because people have limbs. The guest seems to be making it his personal crusade and Carlson is sympathetic.
That's far more information than the OP offers. Thanks.
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)
Old 06-10-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I have to ask: did your English colleague address the additional layer of complication caused by the fact that a US quart is not the same as an Imperial quart?
He did. He also addressed volume ounces vs. weight ounces and referred to the Americans as "you Colonials", with a tone where the font used in a comic book would have had a name along the lines of Drippy Corrosive Poison. We were surprised he didn't leave smoking holes in the floor.

Last edited by Nava; 06-10-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Simple. Like this.

Makes designing a rocket in foot-poundals seem logical.

j
I don't know about animal health products, but you get a somewhat similar thing with children's medicines, too. Dosing is given in metric (mL), based on weight in US customary units. It actually never occurred to me that it's odd to mix units like that, because I'm used to medicines being dispensed in metric weight and volume units, but most people only know their weights in US customary units. I'm all for standardizing in metric, but it really isn't that hard to reconcile the two in situations like these.

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-10-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Go ask one of those guys if a century is metric.
Well, as a cyclist, we have both centuries (the default is metric) and Imperial centuries (so named).
Old 06-10-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:

My pace per chain is 14 which works out 4.7 feet but I measure mine on uneven terrain which is more realistic but probably shortens it a bit.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I don't know about animal health products, but you get a somewhat similar thing with children's medicines, too. Dosing is given in metric (mL), based on weight in US customary units. It actually never occurred to me that it's odd to mix units like that, because I'm used to medicines being dispensed in metric weight and volume units, but most people only know their weights in US customary units. I'm all for standardizing in metric, but it really isn't that hard to reconcile the two in situations like these.
I take your point, but the two situations are not quite the same. Measuring a child in pounds and then dosing is mL based on the weight is one thing*; actually making a medicine and expressing the strength in grams per pound - to make to a final concentration of grams per gallon or ton - is that not weird? A medicine - one of those high tech, highly regulated things?

Anyways, if that doesn't do it for you, Nava's stories should.

j

* - and you created a moment of self doubt for me as to whether in Britain, with one foot still entrenched in Imperial, we do the same; but seemingly not, eg: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/pro.../smpc#POSOLOGY
Old 06-10-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
Well, as a cyclist, we have both centuries (the default is metric) and Imperial centuries (so named).
Really? In everything I've read or heard it is the other way around. There is a century (160.93 km) and a metric century (100 km).

Here's a link to a very common topic amongst popular cycling rags:

https://www.bicycling.com/training/a...ide-a-century/
Old 06-10-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorio View Post
Really? In everything I've read or heard it is the other way around. There is a century (160.93 km) and a metric century (100 km).

Here's a link to a very common topic amongst popular cycling rags:

https://www.bicycling.com/training/a...ide-a-century/
This matches my experience. I did a Summer Century ride here in the PNW earlier this month and it was 100 miles.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
That's far more information than the OP offers. Thanks.
The Metric System is a revolutionary system, dating from the Age of Enlightenment. Now, if you think about it, the Americans too had themselves a little revolution around the same time, not only the French, so one would imagine they would be aggressive proponents of the new system in America. Those staunchly resisting it are clearly counterrevolutionary imperialists.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitas View Post
I have a tape measure with tenths of feet instead of inches. VERY useful when calculating area&volume for landscaping.

In your case, it doesn't seem like that sensible a choice.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:58 PM

Ignorance and arrogance.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
No, a .357.

See how hard the metric system is?
It's always struck me as really weird that people would make bullets with a three fifty-sevenths of an inch diameter cross-section. Also not that pragmatic.

No, I don't own any firearms. Why do you ask?

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 06-10-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you consider a stride to be from left footfall to the next left footfall (or right, if that's the way you roll), it seems a bit less implausible.

The fact that very few soldiers had identically-sized legs does complicate things a bit.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
He even threw in a gratuitous reference to Robespierre (which he also pronounced correctly).
But the closed captioning got it as "rogue spears"...
Old 06-10-2019, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
If you consider a stride to be from left footfall to the next left footfall (or right, if that's the way you roll), it seems a bit less implausible.

The fact that very few soldiers had identically-sized legs does complicate things a bit.
Wouldn't the parameters of formation movement have required them to train their soldiers to march with the same stride despite any differences in leg length?
Old 06-10-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
It seems like a soldier without identically sized legs wouldn't be very effective. I'm glad we've made that a requirement in modern armies.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
And as an aside, this has to do with why the big multi serving bottles of soda are sold by the liter, while everything else in the US is sold in ounces/quarts/gallons. The first soda company to introduce a bottle larger than a single serving did so in the 1970s around the time this law was passed, so they decided to make it 2 liters to be compliant with the new law that was about to be passed.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:

For nighttime land navigation, we were taught to measure how many double strides (right foot to right foot), on average, it took us to advance 100 meters. The average for a male soldier was 60, I think, although I'm fairly long-legged myself, so I remember doing it in 57.

That makes a kilometer 600 double paces or so, which is fairly close to 1000 per mile. YMMV (literally), but the math checks out.