Old 06-08-2019, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mabes View Post
Trump says, about the Queen of England, "there are those that say they have never seen the Queen have a better time, a more animated time” than when she was with him.
There are others who say she fled in horror when he started flinging his feces at the wall.

But I am proud of him for resisting the temptation to say there were good people on both sides during his D-Day speech.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
They've been trying to stop human trafficking for ages, it's not as if they consider it a normal part of business; if they can finally figure it out, multiple other countries would like the recipe.

Will the US also send to Mexico people getting in from Canada (although I understand that tends to go more in the opposite direction, at this point in time at least), by plane or by ship?
Maybe you didn't get my sarcasm. Of course they've been trying, it is not in their interest to have that or people coming in from Central America.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
. . . if we presume that the measures being discussed would actually reduce the amount of immigration within 90 days. .
For Trump it doesn't matter what actually happens in reality. All that matters is the show that he can put on and how he can spin it.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Trump didn't cave, Mexico did.
Or, in the real world, Trump caved and Mexico provided a convenient excuse. I guess that counts as Mexico caving.

He had a loser on his hands and knew it. The Republicans were going to buck him on this so his team found a nice way to spin his dud. Mexico, for its part, has done and promised essentially nothing while keeping a foreign relations door open with the Trump team. I doubt it will do them much good, but good on them for getting something for absolutely nothing. Masters of the Deal, one might say.

Mexico has promised jack shit in reality. There's a lot of strong but essentially vague, meaningless words about actions to be taken. Nothing concrete on how any of what they'll "do" will actually solve any of the issues they bring up. Just "we'll act tough on X and this time, WE MEAN IT!!!11!".

So, congrats to Trump on finding a "solution" that his supporters (and absolutely nobody else) will buy. He could have accomplished the same with much less effort and thinking, but these days few people give him any credit for being clever or innovative.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Antibob View Post
Or, in the real world, Trump caved and Mexico provided a convenient excuse. I guess that counts as Mexico caving.

He had a loser on his hands and knew it. The Republicans were going to buck him on this so his team found a nice way to spin his dud. Mexico, for its part, has done and promised essentially nothing while keeping a foreign relations door open with the Trump team. I doubt it will do them much good, but good on them for getting something for absolutely nothing. Masters of the Deal, one might say.

Mexico has promised jack shit in reality. There's a lot of strong but essentially vague, meaningless words about actions to be taken. Nothing concrete on how any of what they'll "do" will actually solve any of the issues they bring up. Just "we'll act tough on X and this time, WE MEAN IT!!!11!".

So, congrats to Trump on finding a "solution" that his supporters (and absolutely nobody else) will buy. He could have accomplished the same with much less effort and thinking, but these days few people give him any credit for being clever or innovative.
With the North Korea document, I would agree. With the Mexican, vague or not, it's still a pretty clear statement of "We're going to do what you say." It reads to me more like something that was signed in a hurry, to stop the click from ticking, than something that was a simple show piece.

It does mandate that Mexico take a specific action. If Mexico takes that action, they've folded.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 06-08-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
It does mandate that Mexico take a specific action. If Mexico takes that action, they've folded.
Which is?

There's not really a lot in that release.

Mexico will deploy its national guard throughout the country, prioritising the southern border. They....already do that. There's nothing there.

They will 'take decisive action' to deal with human trafficking. Ok....that's vague. There's still nothing there.

They commit to work on closer cooperation with the US. Still vague and unspecific.

They commit to authorize the entrance of migrants (to Mexico) who are sent back from the US at legal ports of entry to wait for their asylum claims. They already committed to doing that. Nothing new. They also offer to provide healthcare, jobs, etc 'according to its principles', which is enough qualifiers to mean nothing.

They also commit to doing something different if the results aren't what are desired. Well, shit. I know when things don't work, I just keep doing the same shit and expecting different results. Glad to know they are smarter than I am.

So, basically a big nothing-burger that lets Trump crow about 'winning' without anything actually happening or changing. Wonderful.

Last edited by Great Antibob; 06-08-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Trump says, about the Queen of England, "there are those that say they have never seen the Queen have a better time, a more animated time” than when she was with him.

I'm seeing Trump and Lizzie doing the dance from the end of Dirty Dancing...
Old 06-08-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
With the North Korea document, I would agree. With the Mexican, vague or not, it's still a pretty clear statement of "We're going to do what you say." It reads to me more like something that was signed in a hurry, to stop the click from ticking, than something that was a simple show piece.
Trump withdrew from NAFTA, negotiated its replacement, and before the ink is dry on the new agreement he's threatening tariffs against Mexico. If I were Mexico I'd tell Trump whatever he wanted, and then not follow through. Trump clearly doesn't keep his promises; I'd have no hesitation about making a promise to him and then breaking it.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:54 PM

Mexico may be making firm and sincere promises that they simply cannot keep. They have enough on their hands dealing with the drug cartels. And to what lengths they are willing to go to keep people even poorer than themselves from swarming in? We are America, and some of the shit we are doing to these people?

"Pity poor Mexico, so far from God and so close to the United States."
-Porfirio Diaz
Old 06-08-2019, 04:24 PM

So we don't need WALL any more, do we?
Old 06-08-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Hehe. Good one.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:

Does it matter that the specific actions were agreed to months ago, and had nothing to do with Trump's latest temper tantrum induced demand followed by ignominious retreat?
Old 06-08-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
We might need it for dealing with those other mexican countries.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Does it matter that the specific actions were agreed to months ago, and had nothing to do with Trump's latest temper tantrum induced demand followed by ignominious retreat?
Hush, do not make presidente Salazar become aware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ant%C3...th_and_funeral
Quote:
In 1968, Salazar suffered a cerebral hemorrhage. Most sources maintain that it occurred when he fell from a chair in his summer house. In February 2009 though, there were anonymous witnesses who admitted, after some investigation into Salazar's best-kept secrets, that he had fallen in a bath instead of from a chair.[91] As he was expected to die shortly after his fall, President Américo Tomás replaced him with Marcelo Caetano. Despite the injury, Salazar lived for a further two years. When he unexpectedly recovered lucidity, his intimates did not tell him he had been removed from power, instead allowing him to "rule" in privacy until his death in July 1970.[92]
Old 06-08-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Maybe.

What Obrador agreed to was for Mexico to keep the migrants in their borders for now, which is easier said than done. In the short term, they'll try their best to contain them so that they can get a trade deal. But they can't hold migrants forever, particularly since they don't want to stay in Mexico; they want to go north. And another factor is that it won't be long before the migrants begin consuming Mexico's resources, which is going to be a domestic political problem for Obrador.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

BTW I'm beginning to call the 'Mango Mussolini' Presidente Salazar the II for the reports that show that the POS POTUS is not being told of how several insane orders he made are being ignored and his lackeys expect that he will forget those orders. At the risk of making him remember, that seems to be the fate of the cutting of aid to Central America after how it was reported recently how simpatico Trump is with the new president of El Salvador.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 06-08-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Do not taunt WALL.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
"No wall needed" was unofficially conceded when Trump said he'd be busing (and flying) refugees to so-called sanctuary cities all over the USA.

If Trump is willing to transport people right into the heart of the nation, then he can't really say they're so dangerous they must be stopped (by a wall) from entering, can he?

(Of course he can; logic never stopped the rancid clown before! But the point is, his malicious 'brilliant idea' negated the entire argument than a Wall is needed.)

Quote:
President Donald Trump on Monday signaled he was eager to move forward with a plan to bus undocumented immigrants to so-called sanctuary cities — prompting a battle with Democrats that could easily scuttle any nascent congressional movement on the issue.

“Those Illegal Immigrants who can no longer be legally held (Congress must fix the laws and loopholes) will be, subject to Homeland Security, given to Sanctuary Cities and States!” the president declared in a tweet on Monday. ...
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...cities-1276353
Old 06-08-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I agree with the bolded part and I'm embarrassed for the Mexican people that their current administration is, apparently, both weak and easily fooled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Trump withdrew from NAFTA, negotiated its replacement, and before the ink is dry on the new agreement he's threatening tariffs against Mexico. If I were Mexico I'd tell Trump whatever he wanted, and then not follow through. Trump clearly doesn't keep his promises; I'd have no hesitation about making a promise to him and then breaking it.
In my head, that's somehow a better scenario than "oh noes; we'll do what you say".
Old 06-08-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
"No wall needed" was unofficially conceded when Trump said he'd be busing (and flying) refugees to so-called sanctuary cities all over the USA.

If Trump is willing to transport people right into the heart of the nation, then he can't really say they're so dangerous they must be stopped (by a wall) from entering, can he?...
Well, these kids aren't going anywhere any time soon.

HHS to house thousands of unaccompanied minor migrants on military bases and at Texas facility
Quote:
...The Department of Health and Human Services plans to shelter 2,000 children at the military facilities and 1,600 at a temporary emergency influx shelter in Carrizo Springs, Tex., a compound that formerly housed oil-field workers about two hours southwest of San Antonio. Federal officials said a private contractor will run the Texas facility, and HHS is expected to run the military shelters.

All children will be housed in dormitory-style buildings until case workers can place them with a parent or sponsor in the United States, but they will not have the educational programming or recreational activities that are normally required in child shelters.

HHS officials alerted shelters last week that the department expects to run out of money and will no longer fund English classes, art supplies, soccer coaches and other nonessential services for children in custody.

U.S. Border Patrol agents have apprehended 56,278 unaccompanied minors this fiscal year, a 74 percent increase over the same time last year, and new government data obtained by The Washington Post showed that many of the 2,000 unaccompanied migrant children in overcrowded Border Patrol facilities had been there beyond legally allowed time limits, including some who are 12 or younger. Government agencies have blamed breakdowns in the bureaucratic systems for the delays.
My bold.

"Including some who are 12 or younger."

Try to wrap your brain around that.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:11 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Why are you mocking the Almighty Wall of All? The mystical magical wall that is only needed when POTUS Trump does not need to threaten closing borders or ordering tariffs is almighty and already invisibly under construction, and somehow Mexico's paying for it. My guess is they're paying with invisible money.

Oh, and Mexico promised nothing in actuality. They can not punish people for not violating Mexican law because POTUS Trump wants to punish them for not violating American law.

Last edited by Monty; 06-08-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:13 PM

I've been reading David Copperfield again. I didn't know that Dickens was a Nostradamus who wrote about Trump and Melania -

“Gentlemen," returned Mr. Micawber, "do with me as you will! I am a straw upon the surface of the deep, and am tossed in all directions by the elephants- I beg your pardon; I should have said the elements."

“I have no scruple in saying, in the presence of our friends here, that I am a man who has for some years contended against the pressure of pecuniary difficulties.”

”I shall never desert Mr. Micawber." - Mrs. Micawber
Old 06-08-2019, 10:26 PM
Elephant Whisperer

OTOH, China built a wall, and they don't have any Mexicans.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Hm... That does make it less clear. Possibly that would be an indication that Trump did fold. Hard to tell. The language did still sound like they were obeying - which isn't a great look. But, they could have said that they'd agree to make it sound like that, just to spare Trump the humiliation, in return for something down the road.

Or my read just isn't the correct one.

Maybe we'll get a better view in 90 days.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
OTOH, China built a wall, and they don't have any Mexicans.
To be fair, the Great Wall of China was built a long time ago. The Mexican population could easily have been cross-bred into the Chinese population long ago, so that there's no longer any differentiation between the two groups in mainland China.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:45 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
To be fair, the Great Wall of China was built a long time ago. The Mexican population could easily have been cross-bred into the Chinese population long ago, so that there's no longer any differentiation between the two groups in mainland China.
When China built the Great Wall, the Mongols invaded them and founded the Yuan dynasty. With Chump building his wall, will the Mexicans invade the US and found the Juan dynasty?

Meanwhile, I saw a new poll out showing if an election were held today, Chump would lose.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
When China built the Great Wall, the Mongols invaded them and founded the Yuan dynasty. With Chump building his wall, will the Mexicans invade the US and found the Juan dynasty?

Meanwhile, I saw a new poll out showing if an election were held today, Chump would lose.
can I quote you to my Facebook friends. that is clever
Old 06-08-2019, 11:04 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
can I quote you to my Facebook friends. that is clever
Might as well. I stole it myself.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:16 AM

Michael Wolff talks about his new book about Trump. Some of the revelations are startling. Trump has no affection for son Barron because Barron might grow up to be taller than his father?
Old 06-09-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
The language did still sound like they were obeying - which isn't a great look. But, they could have said that they'd agree to make it sound like that, just to spare Trump the humiliation, in return for something down the road.

I think that is the right read, but I don't think that Mexico gets anything from Trump besides defusing the current tariff import tax on Americans threat.

If the hostage taker will release the hostages if you give him a diet coke you go ahead and give in.

I suspect that in 90 days Trump sees an opportunity to get more headlines and restarts to whole thing again.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 06-09-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Michael Wolff talks about his new book about Trump. Some of the revelations are startling. Trump has no affection for son Barron because Barron might grow up to be taller than his father?
Let's go to the quarry and throw stuff down there!

"shows... the President as committed as ever to his fundamental strategy, according to the book, of lying his way out of everything."

I've been watching clips of Mr. Wolff for a few days now. He's so far gone beyond incredulity into gobsmacked acceptance that this is, in fact, our reality, that it's kind of funny to watch him.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-09-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Hm... That does make it less clear. Possibly that would be an indication that Trump did fold. Hard to tell. The language did still sound like they were obeying - which isn't a great look. But, they could have said that they'd agree to make it sound like that, just to spare Trump the humiliation, in return for something down the road.

Or my read just isn't the correct one.

What language? The language from the White House? Why on Earth would I put any stock in that?

There was no deal. There was simply a capitulation followed by a pathetic attempt to spin it as a win. And his supporters will believe it despite how unbelievable it is because they are terrible people.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I've only watched the first 1:43 but...lol.

They're pretty clearly just trying to fuck with Trump's head, knowing that he'll watch the segment. Not to say that what they're saying is false (who knows on that one), but it's certainly not just a book review and the subdued glee on O'Donnell's face is pretty outstanding.

ETA: 2:58 now. The lol continues.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 06-09-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Fail to neglect Part Two, in which Jared dances like a spider on a hotplate.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I've only watched the first 1:43 but...lol.

They're pretty clearly just trying to fuck with Trump's head, knowing that he'll watch the segment. Not to say that what they're saying is false (who knows on that one), but it's certainly not just a book review and the subdued glee on O'Donnell's face is pretty outstanding.

ETA: 2:58 now. The lol continues.
So Don Jr. jokes that daddy went to two Yankees games in a row where they lost both games and joked daddy was "bad luck". He goes apeshit, freaking out on Don Jr. making him cry. Priceless family.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
So Don Jr. jokes that daddy went to two Yankees games in a row where they lost both games and joked daddy was "bad luck". He goes apeshit, freaking out on Don Jr. making him cry.
And that was this season...
Old 06-09-2019, 07:47 PM

I'm no fan of Trump obviously, but fuck Michael Wolffe. He's the Michael Avenatti of biographers (i.e. capitalistic attention whore)
Old 06-09-2019, 11:17 PM

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...hreat-n1012441

GOP lawmakers, business groups slam Trump's Mexico tariff threat

The business community is growing restless with Il Douche's improvisational approach to international trade. Cautiously, even gingerly, like porcupines making love, but perhaps matters of tariff and trade is best left to legislation? Are they turning on him? Turning back to their Republican old style religion, back to the Gospel of security, stability, and profit?

After all, what has he done for them lately? What does he have left to offer them? They already have their tax cuts. What do they need him for? Gratitude is not good for business, its space in the capitalist heart being just a bit less than social justice or compassion. True, their numbers are fewer than that the lumpenyokel that comprise the hot core of Il Douche's support.

But when the high clergy of the Dollar Almighty turn against him? How will he bring them to heel, insinuate that they are all a bunch of Jews? Put on a pair of Calvin Klein overalls and do his Tom Joad impression?
Old 06-10-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I'm no fan of Trump obviously, but fuck Michael Wolffe. He's the Michael Avenatti of biographers (i.e. capitalistic attention whore)
The question isn't whether Michael Wolff is a nice person. The question is whether he's accurately reporting events and statements made. I mean, I've met Carl Bernstein and he's an asshole. Didn't make him wrong about Nixon.

Last edited by Gyrate; 06-10-2019 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:55 PM

So we are stuck watching the Game of Assholes play out.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

The Game of Assholes is my favorite TV show -- for me to POOP ON!

Last edited by Ludovic; 06-10-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
The Game of Assholes is my favorite TV show -- for me to POOP ON!
When you play the game of assholes, you poop or you die.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:24 PM

So do y'all think that Kavanaugh learned this from watching Trump, or is it just endemic to jackasses like them?
Quote:
The daughter of Yale Law School professor and “tiger mom” Amy Chua, who praised Justice Brett Kavanaugh as a mentor to women after his nomination to the Supreme Court, is going to work for Kavanaugh this summer.

Yale Law graduate Sophia Chua-Rubenfeld will serve as a law clerk to Kavanaugh for a year, beginning this summer, the court confirmed Monday. Chua-Rubenfeld had planned to work for Kavanaugh when he served as a federal appeals court judge, but his Supreme Court nomination intervened.

Shortly after the nomination, Chua penned a Wall Street Journal essay extolling Kavanaugh “as a mentor for young lawyers, particularly women.”
Quote:
Chua faced criticism that her essay was self-serving and that her daughter was virtually guaranteed a Supreme Court job with Kavanaugh. Chua-Rubenfeld responded on Twitter last year that she wouldn’t be applying for a Supreme Court clerkship “anytime soon” because she had to fulfill her military service obligation after attending college on an ROTC scholarship.

Neither Chua nor Chua-Rubenfeld responded to emails seeking comment Monday.
This may be the most back-scratching-est administration in US history! #MAGA!
Old 06-10-2019, 08:02 PM

And don't forget Kavanaugh had a lot of debt mysteriously paid off (thousands of dollars on baseball tickets? Please) and while I don't want to go full CT and don't generally dislike Justice Kennedy, his son's involvement in Deutchse Bank is concerning.

Truly, this all could have innocent explanations. Maybe they have been revealed and I just missed the stories. But there's a lot of quacking and a lot of feathers about Kavanaugh's ascension so I don't feel it's out of bounds to at least think about ducks.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
So do y'all think that Kavanaugh learned this from watching Trump, or is it just endemic to jackasses like them?This may be the most back-scratching-est administration in US history! #MAGA!
Isn't this a case of "It's who you know"?
Old 06-10-2019, 08:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
Truly, this all could have innocent explanations. Maybe they have been revealed and I just missed the stories. But there's a lot of quacking and a lot of feathers about Kavanaugh's ascension so I don't feel it's out of bounds to at least think about ducks.
Kavanaugh Has a history of hiring women...but only very good-looking women. Sophia Chua-Rubenfeld is a remarkably attractive young woman. The whole situation gives me the creeps.

“I am a big big mentor to young lawyers, especially women lawyers. No fatties or uggos, please.”
Old 06-10-2019, 09:06 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Isn't this a case of "It's who you know"?

Well, of course it's not. The correct version is: It's whom you know.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:33 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Christ a-mighty. Chau-Rubenfeld’s MOTHER, the original “tiger mom” and Yale Law School prof, supposedly told students that Kavanaugh hired female clerks who “looked like models,” and offered privately to give them advice on how to tart themselves up for him.

Is this some weird daughter-pimping thing?
Old 06-10-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Kavanaugh Has a history of hiring women...but only very good-looking women. Sophia Chua-Rubenfeld is a remarkably attractive young woman. The whole situation gives me the creeps.

“I am a big big mentor to young lawyers, especially women lawyers. No fatties or uggos, please.”
Kavanaugh has a history of hiring women whom Amy Chua has groomed by telling them how to dress and act sexy to appeal to him.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:19 AM

Newsweek is on it.
Quote:
Chua-Rubenfeld's appointment comes less than a year after her mother defended Kavanaugh in a Wall Street Journal op-ed that portrayed him as an "incredible" mentor. At that point Chua-Rubenfeld was scheduled to be an appellate clerk for Kavanaugh, and critics said that if he were confirmed to the high court, she would likely be chosen to clerk for him there—a hugely prestigious appointment.

Sophia Chua-Rubenfeld denied that speculation, tweeting that she planned to join the military after law school. "Won't be applying to SCOTUS anytime soon bc will be in the Army," she wrote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia Chua-Rubenfeld
Hi! Daughter here. Just to clarify your post: I was college ROTC, attended YLS on Army Ed Delay, and am joining Active Duty JAG after circuit clerkship (wherever that will be!). Won't be applying to SCOTUS anytime soon bc will be in the Army. Proud of my brave mom as always.
Others were, um, skeptical. And now, less than a year later, the skeptics were proven right.

Amy Chau has, and continues to deny any impropriety.
Quote:
Yale students told several news outlets that Chua was lying in her defense. "I personally heard her state that it's not an accident that all his clerks look like models. So I personally know that for her to say the allegations are 100 percent false is a lie, because at least that one is definitely true," one student said at the time.
OMFG what a shock: someone associated with the Trump campaign sees nothing wrong with bending rules and taking unfair advantages, but somehow needs to lie about having done so... totally didn't see that coming.