Old 06-11-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
My understanding was that there's some uncertainty...
iswydt
Old 06-11-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
My understanding was that there's some uncertainty...
It is, in fact, unclear what his motivations were.
To win, it takes courage, tenacity, strength and wile; to lose, it takes everything you've got.
As I read it, Heisenberg told his superiors that it could not be accomplished in the military's time frame (and he was right, because the first US test was months after V-E day). Because of this, German nuclear research went into non-military application (reactor stuff). On the one hand, one could view it as Heisenberg derailing the effort to build a bomb. On the other hand, it could be seen as recommending a more effective use of resources in the war effort.

Of course he would say after the war that he did not want Hitler to have The Bomb. What his real intentions were we will probably never know. I prefer to grant him the benefit of the doubt.

In reality, if there are decent people in the alt-White, they are still supporting shitpiles like bannon, mcinnes and hannity, so they are, ipso facto, not decent people.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

There was also no possibility of Germany building the massive industrial facilities, on the scale of Oak Ridge, necessary to process U-235. Even if the resources had been present, by that point in the war anything noticeable was getting bombed day and night. That doesn't even get into there not being enough Aryan physicists of top talent left to get it done. Heisenberg was right about that and the time scale, whatever his motives may have been.

Last edited by ElvisL1ves; 06-11-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Oskar Schindler. He was a nazi and yet a good man. Werner Heisenberg, he was a nazi who kept them from getting the bomb. And, of course, Howard W. Campbell.

There are plenty of "good Nazis" - because in Nazi Germany after the Nazis took power and started taking over every institution and folding them into Nazi versions ; as well as persecuting non-Nazis (not just Jews and other undesirables - every person was suspect) there was plenty of incentive for people to join the NSDAP even if they had zero in common with them and hated them with a passion. It was just the path of least resistance, of getting left alone, of getting by, of plain surviving in many cases.

Modern far right assholes don't have that excuse. Yet.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:54 PM

Wall on private land near El Paso

The wall that was paid for by crowdfunding and built on supposedly private land in New Mexico near El Paso apparently does partially encroach on land owned by the United States Section of the International Boundary and Water Commission (USIBWC). The gate was locked closed by the "We Build the Wall" people on June 6, 2019, blocking access to a levee road and keeping workers from getting through to perform maintenance on the American Dam. Now "We Build the Wall" founder Brian Kolfage is crying about government overreach since the USIBWC got law enforcement officers to help them get the private lock off the gate and lock it in an open position so workers can get through.

https://www.kvia.com/news/border/ibw...sue/1085172933

WTF even? Why aren't these "We Build the Wall" people arrested or sued? Why is it considered okay to build on government land? Maybe not "okay," but the USIBWC doesn't seem opposed to the idea of still considering a belated permit application from WBTW. I can't imagine I could get away with doing something like that without at least running into some serious legal headaches. I really don't understand.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypist View Post
WTF even? Why aren't these "We Build the Wall" people arrested or sued? Why is it considered okay to build on government land? Maybe not "okay," but the USIBWC doesn't seem opposed to the idea of still considering a belated permit application from WBTW. I can't imagine I could get away with doing something like that without at least running into some serious legal headaches. I really don't understand.
Prosecutorial discretion, in case you really don't understand. No US Attorney with delusions of a career is going to take up a case where the highest reaches of the government are in support of the goals of the law-breaker.

I can't immediately think of a progressive side equivalent, but I'm sure they exist.

Actually, the whole DACA thing comes to mind (which I support, BTW)
Old 06-12-2019, 12:12 PM

I realize that the orangutan in charge Likes the lawbreakers. I just want this particular department to be a little less casual about the lawbreakers building a gate across government land. There have also been reports about these “we build the wall” people having armed militia chasing reporters and others away from the area. Someone may very well get shot but apparently all of this barely elicits a yawn from USIBWC.

And the city apparently backed down also on the issue of a permit. Probably afraid of getting shot.

Last edited by Skypist; 06-12-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:59 PM

June 13, 2019
Rick Wiles says that Impossible Burgers and other meatless hamburger products are a Satanic plot to change humans' DNA so they can't be classified as human any more, and thus can't be saved.
https://deadstate.org/christian-tv-h...brefreshforce/
Old 06-13-2019, 04:21 PM

Hail Satan. I can't wait to try one of the vegetable-burgers that purportedly taste like actual hamburger. I avoid red meat as matter of discipline and to avoid colon tumors so my existential crisis at craving a cheeseburger is really only half-baked in the first place. The local Burger King has not introduced it yet, as far as I know.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
June 13, 2019
Rick Wiles says that Impossible Burgers and other meatless hamburger products are a Satanic plot to change humans' DNA so they can't be classified as human any more, and thus can't be saved.

Wow! That's just an extra heapin' helping of stoopid! The mind, how it wobbles....
Old 06-13-2019, 05:41 PM

As human beings, you and I need fresh, pure hamburger to replenish our precious bodily DNA.
Mandrake, have you never wondered why I drink only distilled water, or rainwater, and only pure human-fetus hamburgers?

CMC fnord!
Old 06-14-2019, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

These people don't have the courage to do this in public at an announced location:

Lake County church hosting 3-day ‘Make America Straight Again’ event

During Pride Month, in the wake of the Pulse commemorations here in central Florida.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

From the article: “We’re asking for a normal lifestyle of a husband and wife and kids, sitting around a dinner table[*]," he said. "But somehow, we’re the ones who are weird.”

[* or else death]
Old 06-14-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypist View Post
I realize that the orangutan in charge Likes the lawbreakers. I just want this particular department to be a little less casual about the lawbreakers building a gate across government land. There have also been reports about these “we build the wall” people having armed militia chasing reporters and others away from the area. Someone may very well get shot but apparently all of this barely elicits a yawn from USIBWC.

And the city apparently backed down also on the issue of a permit. Probably afraid of getting shot.
Who says violence never solves anything? Violence solves plenty of things!
Old 06-14-2019, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
These people don't have the courage to do this in public at an announced location:

Lake County church hosting 3-day ‘Make America Straight Again’ event

During Pride Month, in the wake of the Pulse commemorations here in central Florida.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
From the article: “We’re asking for a normal lifestyle of a husband and wife and kids, sitting around a dinner table[*]," he said. "But somehow, we’re the ones who are weird.”

[* or else death]
I've been following this on Jimmy Snow's Mr. Atheist YouTube channel. In this one Snow takes exception to a local TV station's fawning report that mentions the conference is "facing some protests" without mentioning why. The crew was even given a tour of the church's office including an (unaired) shot of an animated poster showing flames and LGBTQ / Let God Burn Them Quickly (11:50) so they can hardly plead ignorance of the church's position.

"But somehow we're the ones who are weird." No, 'rev,' you're a murderous thug.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
June 13, 2019
Guess Pastor Wiles hasn't read his Mark 7:15 very carefully (and that's without even mentioning the Lamarckian pseudoscience of the claim).
Old 06-14-2019, 11:43 AM

I posted this over in the MPSIMS thread on Sanders but it belongs here too.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders would like to be remembered as "transparent and honest":
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS
I hope that [the way I am remembered] will be that I showed up every day and I did the very best job that I could to put forward the president’s message ... to do the best job that I could to answer questions. To be transparent and honest throughout that process and do everything I could to make America a little better that day than it was the day before.
Dear Sarah,

It will not be that. It will not be anything like that. You didn't even manage "showed up every day". You were not even in the same solar system as "transparent and honest". And America is worse off for your efforts.

Regards,

Reality
Old 06-14-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post

Dear Sarah,

It will not be that. It will not be anything like that. You didn't even manage "showed up every day". You were not even in the same solar system as "transparent and honest". And America is worse off for your efforts.

Regards,

Reality
"Transparent" only applies if it means you can see right through her and there's nothing there.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:42 PM

"Transparent" only can describe the lies.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Also as a svelte blonde with preternaturally symmetrical features and the enchanting, mellifluous voice of a Siren. Best of luck, Sarah!
Old 06-14-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
June 13, 2019
At least he believes there's such a thing as DNA.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post

[* or else death]
No one has yet poked the obvious hole here ... you want a normal lifestyle, with a husband and a wife and kids around a dinner table? Yeah, so? Go ahead. Who's stopping you? Have a normal lifestyle with a husband, a wife, 2.5 kids, a dog, a cat and a gold fish and go ahead and put a white picket fence around your dinner table while you're at it for anybody gives a shit. But don't tell me who I have to sit around a dinner table with.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
you want a normal lifestyle, with a husband and a wife and kids around a dinner table? Yeah, so? Go ahead. Who's stopping you? Have a normal lifestyle with a husband, a wife, 2.5 kids, a dog, a cat and a gold fish and go ahead and put a white picket fence around your dinner table while you're at it for anybody gives a shit. But don't tell me who I have to sit around a dinner table with.
Stealing for Facebook.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
No one has yet poked the obvious hole here ... you want a normal lifestyle, with a husband and a wife and kids around a dinner table? Yeah, so? Go ahead. Who's stopping you? Have a normal lifestyle with a husband, a wife, 2.5 kids, a dog, a cat and a gold fish and go ahead and put a white picket fence around your dinner table while you're at it for anybody gives a shit. But don't tell me who I have to sit around a dinner table with.
Exactly. Sounds like they want to influence everyone into thinking that families don't have two dads or transgender kids. What would they do if they get their husband/wife/kids dinner table and years go by and one kid discovers they're gay. Can they no longer be at the table? Can they marry the same sex and adopt children? Will those who oppose come and sit at the gay son's/daughter's table with THEIR family when they get older?

It's bullshit wishful thinking for them. If they teach that gay is wrong then, magically (or with the help of Jeebus), their kids who might turn out gay will simply go straight, 'cause you know, it's a "choice", right?

I can't even debate these idiots directly. Not unless they say what they mean: "Homosexuality is wrong and stupid and we won't accept it." If that were their motto, at least there's a point for honesty instead of lying with that fucking book as evidence.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sarah Huckabee Sanders would like to be remembered as "transparent and honest"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Also as a svelte blonde with preternaturally symmetrical features and the enchanting, mellifluous voice of a Siren.
An air raid siren, maybe....
Old 06-14-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS
I hope that [the way I am remembered] will be that I showed up every day and I did the very best job that I could to put forward the president’s message ... to do the best job that I could to answer questions. To be transparent and honest throughout that process and do everything I could to make America a little better that day than it was the day before.
Look out! Run! The White House Delusional Derangement is catching.....and it's gone airborne!
Old 06-14-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee, U.S. Sen. Marsha Blackburn and other top Republicans urged a “no” vote, saying a union could cause economic harm. Blackburn said attempts to unionize will harm workers, adding, “We don’t need union bosses in Detroit telling Tennessee what’s best for our workers.”
Yeah... that's not how unions work. Not surprised that a Republican would lie; just noting and refuting it.

ETA: I can't believe they got 57 people to vote against their own interests. [shakes head in exasperation]

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-14-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

More from Florida (sorry, the place still astonishes me - maybe I just haven't lived here long enough yet). The guy can't deny posting it, so he claims it was a joke.
Quote:
A Republican Brevard County commissioner jokingly responded to Facebook comments about running over protesters outside President Donald Trump’s rally in Orlando, writing he “wouldn’t recommend using a snow plow.”

Bryan Lober, who represents District 2 on the Brevard County Commission and has an office in Merritt Island, added he’d “look the other way” if Brevard Democratic Chair Stacey Patel had an abortion because “her litter” would have no work ethic.

Below, Bob Shafer commented, “Word of wisdom to the protesters, Beware of Dodge Chargers!”

A counter-protester at a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville in August 2017, Heather Heyer, was struck and killed by a Dodge Challenger driven by right wing rally goer James Alex Fields, who was later convicted of first-degree murder, hit and run and eight counts of malicious wounding.

Colby Karen responded to Shafer’s comment, “If you hit one back up and go again. (just kidding)”
For a little context, in the wake of Charlottesville,
Quote:
There have been several attempts to shield drivers who hit protesters “unintentionally,” including in North Dakota, North Carolina, Tennessee and Texas.

Two Republican legislators in Florida, state Sen. George Gainer and Rep. Jayer Williamson, had filed a bill in 2017 that sought to protect any driver "who unintentionally causes injury or death to a person who obstructs or interferes with the regular flow of vehicular traffic.” That bill failed to pass.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:05 PM

Updated 06.15.19
Alex Jones is trying to imply that the Sandy Hook families who are suing him planted child porn on his servers.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/alex-j...fsoV80OmGo-FvQ
Old 06-15-2019, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Is that a confession that there is, in fact, child porn on his servers? Enough probable cause for a search?
Old 06-16-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Is that a confession that there is, in fact, child porn on his servers? Enough probable cause for a search?
From that Daily Beast article:

Quote:
...a company tasked with screening Infowars’ emails found 12 threatening messages that contained images of child porn.
So 12 email messages with child porn images were emailed to some people at Infowars. Describing this as 'planting pornography on our servers' is quite a stretch. In fact, it's entirely possible that the email messages aren't even on the company's servers, but rather on the servers of the email provider.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:18 PM

June 16, 2019
Right winger Candace Owens thinks people should have their citizenship revoked if they burn the flag.
https://twitter.com/RealCandaceO/sta...35720843550720
Old 06-16-2019, 02:27 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
June 16, 2019
Right winger Candace Owens thinks people should have their citizenship revoked if they burn the flag.
Dogs hump others as a show of dominance. Should Trump's citizenship be revoked for humping the flag?
Old 06-16-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
June 16, 2019

Well that obviously is pretty smart wrt the first amendment, but there's another layer of smartness : so, OK, say you're a US citizen born and raised, citizen by birth and you've got no "back where you came from !" to go to. You get your citizenship revoked...and then what ? Do they kick you out to sea ? Do we get to enslave you because you're not a citizen of anywhere ?
Inquiring minds want to know where this no doubt carefully thought out policy goes.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:55 PM

"If I were President, the punishment for burning the U.S flag would be the renunciation of citizenship."
A: That's not it works.
B: "renunciation" . . . "renunciation", BWHAHAHA the stupid burns so much.

CMC fnord!

Last edited by crowmanyclouds; 06-16-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:

I liked Stormy Daniel's reply to Sarah's comment: And I hope to be remembered for being a virgin **eyeroll**
Old 06-17-2019, 06:07 PM

The plot thickens...

Alex Jones sent Sandy Hook victims files with child sex abuse images, say lawyers

Quote:
Lawyers for relatives of some victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting allege that far-right conspiracy theorist Alex Jones sent them documents relating to the court battle they are fighting that included electronic files containing images of child sexual abuse, as the latest twist in the defamation case against the Infowars website host.

Jones denied the allegations during his web show last Friday and accused one of the lawyers involved of framing him.

Lawyers say the imagery was among documents they had requested from Jones as part of the discovery process of the lawsuit.
This guy needs to seriously just shut up and go away.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:34 PM

Truly he is Richard Linklater's worst decision.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:57 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post

When I read about his bellyaching that someone was trying to frame him with child porn files, my first thought was, "Yeah? Smart money is you sent it yourself."

Quote:
This guy needs to seriously just shut up and go away.

He needs to shut up and be put away.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

The irony, of course, is that Republicans tend to view flag desecration as a sign of patriotism. Flying a flag 24/7? Wearing flag-pattern clothes? That "Blue Lives Matter" flag? All desecration, according to the Flag Code.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Didn’t Abbie Hoffman get arrested around 1968 for wearing an American flag shirt...?
Old 06-17-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Didn’t Abbie Hoffman get arrested around 1968 for wearing an American flag shirt...?
Exactly right:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/washin...rk/33844103521
Old 06-17-2019, 10:37 PM

Sure that isn't Bernie?
Old 06-18-2019, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

DSYoungEsq promises that South Carolina will secede again if it loses its outsized influence on Presidential elections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
I can tell you for a fact that you simply won't be able to convince large swathes of the country to accept your idea of a popularly elected President. I live in South Carolina. I know the people here pretty well by now. And I can tell you without fear of contradiction that, if it ever comes to the point that the people of Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago and New York get to choose who the President over South Carolina is, the compact that is the United States will most likely unravel post haste.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

And here I thought the question had been settled.

Silly me -- I hadn't foreseen the Enabler in Chief.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:00 PM

Why do we as a country continue to act as if done voters inherently deserve to count more than others? Why should living in Wyoming entitle a person to more say in who is president?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2019, 12:14 PM

I think it's one of those things that made good sense almost 250 years ago.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Dogs hump others as a show of dominance. Should Trump's citizenship be revoked for humping the flag?
And what about the time he wiped his ass with the American flag?

At least, the guy who plays him did.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...follies/n10799
Old 06-18-2019, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
DSYoungEsq promises that South Carolina will secede again if it loses its outsized influence on Presidential elections.
If DSYoungEsq was at all serious in that post, he is a fucking moron. Since 1900 South Carolina has voted for the winning candidate in 17 out of 31 elections. The 14 losses include both Clinton terms and both Obama terms. If the US electing a black man President didn't spark the 2nd Ft. Sumter, nothing will.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:07 PM

TODAY 3:43 PM
Mitch McConnell says proposals to make District of Columbia and Puerto Rico states are "full bore socialism".

https://www.thenation.com/article/mi...ore-socialism/

From the 2016 Republican Party platform:
"We support the right of the United States citizens of Puerto Rico to be admitted to the Union as a fully sovereign state."