Old 10-24-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
...although I'd like to hear Eric Cantor's take on this.
Hee, hee.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:42 PM

Still, there is much division in Republican ranks, even as problems multiply!
Old 10-24-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
My Congressidiot, Frank Guinta, sent out this push poll today:
Quote:
Pick the Worst News or All:
Obamacare will cost a trillion dollars more than expected.

Federally backed insurance exchanges in nine states have failed. HHS warns a dozen more could soon fail.

Obamacare sign-ups are half of what the Congressional Budget Office (CB0) predicted.

Over 30 million Americans remain uninsured.

CBO reports 10 million could lose employer-based coverage, in addition to 5 million who already lost their private plans.

Obamacare is working well.
But he made the mistake of linking to the poll results:

https://iqconnect.lmhostediq.com/iqe...G&__sid=100028
I don't understand. How do you take a survey on whether facts are true or not?
Old 10-24-2015, 09:44 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
I don't understand. How do you take a survey on whether facts are true or not?
Exactly. It is right wing anti-Obamacare propaganda, masquerading as a poll. Still, the most popular choice is "Obamacare is working well." Not what he expected, but it will not change his position. Obamacare is bad, because Obama.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Read that carefully: The respondents are asked to pick "the worst news of all." A plurality appear to have agreed that Obamacare working well was the worst news of all, far worse news than 30 million Americans remaining uninsured.

Maybe they didn't read it carefully, but I suspect he knows his audience.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:32 AM

Has that source used similar "polling" before?
Old 10-25-2015, 02:03 AM

Private detective working for David Vitter campaign arrested for illegally taping Vitter's political opponents.

In other words, Louisiana business as usual.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:24 AM

If that Vitter guy got caught with the legendary dead hooker and live boy, it still wouldn't matter to those people! A pentagram, a sacrificed goat, black candles, well, shit boys will be boys....
Old 10-25-2015, 04:11 AM

From the [I]Des Moines Register[/I]:

Quote:
CLARINDA, Ia. – The U.S. is "one justice away" from a liberal Supreme Court causing enough damage for the nation to become unrecognizable, Texas Republican Ted Cruz said Friday.

"One more liberal justice and our right to keep and bear arms is taken away from us by an activist court. One more liberal justice and they begin sandblasting and bulldozing veterans memorials throughout this country. One more liberal justice and we lose our sovereignty to the United Nations and the World Court," Cruz said when responding to how he would treat appointing justices to the court....

After the Supreme Court made rulings upholding the federal health care law and legalizing same-sex marriage nationwide, Cruz called for Supreme Court justices to face retention elections.
Cruz has been known to pose as a Constitutional Scholar. There's a big picture in his office of himself presenting a case to the Supremes; he clerked for Rehnquist. But then he gets all pissy & wants to Amend the Constitution; sorry, Ted it's not that easy.

Still, I doubt sane appointment or two will make the changes he predicts....
Old 10-25-2015, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Burke View Post
I must have stepped out for a moment during the Democratic Presidential debate, when they all said they couldn't wait to start bulldozing veterans' memorials throughout the country.

Seriously, where does he get this shit? I mean, it's bad enough when the Pubbies take stuff completely out of context, like during the Benghazi fiasco Thursday, but Cruz must put destructive verbs and patriotic nouns on a dartboard, and just grab the first two he hits.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:06 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Has that source used similar "polling" before?
That's the first one I've received. Hopefully there will be more, just for the entertainment value.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:16 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
but Cruz must put destructive verbs and patriotic nouns on a dartboard, and just grab the first two he hits.
That is absolutely ridiculous.

I've never seen him use just two.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:23 AM

I didn't see this if it was already mentioned: Mo Brooks of Alabama threatens to start the impeachment of Hillary Clinton, on her first day in office.
As if I really needed to be reminded of how utterly batshit-fucking stoopid-crazy the Republicans are.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0SI02420151024

Quoted from link:
He told a radio interviewer that "she will be a unique president if she is elected by the public next November because the day she's sworn in is the day that she's subject to impeachment because she has committed high crimes and misdemeanors."
Old 10-25-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Quoted from link:
He told a radio interviewer that "she will be a unique president if she is elected by the public next November because the day she's sworn in is the day that she's subject to impeachment because she has committed high crimes and misdemeanors."
Hmm. Apparently it's a high crime and a misdemeanor to be a Democrat now. Well, can't say we didn't see it coming.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
Read that carefully: The respondents are asked to pick "the worst news of all." A plurality appear to have agreed that Obamacare working well was the worst news of all, far worse news than 30 million Americans remaining uninsured.

Maybe they didn't read it carefully, but I suspect he knows his audience.
No, re-read it, more carefully, it says "pick the worst news or all". I would suggest that the worst news is the lack of a proofreader.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I didn't see this if it was already mentioned: Mo Brooks of Alabama threatens to start the impeachment of Hillary Clinton, on her first day in office.
As if I really needed to be reminded of how utterly batshit-fucking stoopid-crazy the Republicans are.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0SI02420151024

Quoted from link:
There's precedent, sort of. It's pretty well accepted that the Southern Democrats switched to the Republican party in reaction to the civil rights movement of the 60's, and that they are arguably the most powerful faction of the Pubbies today.

And when Lincoln was elected in 1860, the Southern Democrats didn't wait to see what he would do after he took office the following March. Seven states seceded before Lincoln took office, just because he was elected.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:51 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Post #24979.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Post #24979.
I get so tired of people who only read the first 20,000 posts before jumping into a thread.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:51 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
I get so tired of people who only read the first 20,000 posts before jumping into a thread.
We need Zeldar to go through the thread and make a list of all the ideas.
With links.

And then a poll to determine the top 5.

Last edited by running coach; 10-25-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
That's unfair.

They should only have to read the last 20,000.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
With links.

We should all offer a toast to Equipose for starting this thread.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:28 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Captor View Post
We should all offer a toast to Equipose for starting this thread.
And then give up a good cry that this thread has run for so long with such attention and data.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
With links.

Or we could just ask adaher for the five ideas he thinks are the most misunderstood.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
And then give up a good cry that this thread has run for so long with such attention and data.
I think that this thread might outlive us all.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:03 PM

Ben Carson: Rape victims who get abortions are just like Hitler exactly like slave owners.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Is it illegal to record conversations that occur in public in Louisiana?
Old 10-26-2015, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Between this, turning the Department of Education into an investigatory body to weed out "extreme" liberal views, his views on evolution, comparing Obamacare to slavery, and the incredible recruiting abilities of the Gay Mafia in prisons, I really think he's trying to "Costanza" this race.

He just wants to sell books, and fleece the rubes.

He's trying to get fired, but everything he says, no matter how wacky, crazy, or intolerant is just lapped up.

If he's not careful, he's going to get the nomination. God help us all.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanceylebeef View Post
If he's not careful, he's going to get the nomination. God help us all.
It would make a good wacky comedy, along the lines of "The Mouse that Roared" but about inadvertantly winning the presidency. I'd enjoy this if I were in an outer universe observing this one.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:12 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

I thought he had suspended his campaign, so he could go on a book tour.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revtim View Post
I think that this thread might outlive us all.
I'm starting the believe that they think they won't get any press at all unless they something stupid.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:49 AM

Not an original stupid thought but certainly a doubling-down on the current party line stupidity: Texas Lt Gov Dan Patrick opines on Planned Parenthood
Quote:
I don’t think they do anything good. Look, they’re nothing more than a referral service. They pretend to care about women’s health. But they don’t have professionals even giving any information to women except referring them to another clinic. They don’t have equipment. They don’t do anything except profit from killing babies and then selling body parts of those aborted babies.
Um...no.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:54 AM

In the A Little Knowledge Is A Dangerous Thing Dept:

Conservative radio talk show host thinks LGBT people may use magnets to destroy the belief of the religious types that oppose them.

If I were to CONSIDER putting something like this in one of my stories, I'd go, "Nope, that's a bridge too far, NOBODY would believe anyone was that stupid."

Last edited by Evil Captor; 10-26-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
It's still not clear what he was arrested for. He was recording a sheriff talking to any other public official in a breakfast joint. When confronted he took off running and trespassed through several private properties while doing so.

Stupid idea to try and record the coversation. It's not clear if he did anything illegal.

David Vitter is involved so at a minimum it is sleezy.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Captor View Post
So that's how fucking magnets work !
Old 10-26-2015, 12:13 PM

As per Gentle Ben:
Quote:
Think about this. During slavery — and I know that one of those words you’re not supposed to say — but I’m saying it. During slavery, a lot of the slave owners thought they had the right to do whatever they wanted to that slave, anything that they chose to do. . .

Which word are we not supposed to say? During?

This is a man who who thinks there should be policy to stop black vs white discrimination. That we should put a stop to free speech-- as long as it's liberal free speech. Religion will keep people away from sex and drugs, no expensive programs needed. Today's college grads are stupider than 1800 6th graders. The United States is different and better than all the other countries in the world. Poverty in the U.S. isn't a real thing like it is in India and Africa. There should be a 5 year federal hiring freeze-- no hiring at all-- to reduce the size of the government. It is ethically right to stop countries we don't agree with with brute force. We should abolish Medicare and Medicaid and replace it with a 2000 dollar voucher.

Note that he wants a federal hiring freeze but wants to increase the size of the military. Because the military isn't federally run-- or something.

Yet 6 in 10 Republicans think he can win the White House. The same poll says 7 in 10 think Trump will win, so there's that-- very stupid Republican idea.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:26 PM

Trumps foreign policy plan is to "make our military so strong, so powerful we'll never have to use it." How, you ask? Trump is going to find a General Patton. Believe him.

That whole Town Hall meeting is hilarious. In it Trump also states that he knows what it's like to be a common man. He started way low-- in Brooklyn, even. And all he got was a million dollar loan from his father that he had to pay back. He knows what it's like to start from nothing!

All the polls that say he's trailing crazy Ben Carson in Iowa? Wrong! He knows he's winning! Just like Charlie Sheen. Winning!

The two Republican frontrunners, ladies and gentlemen.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:40 PM

Isn't it already ? I'm struggling to find a war that the US ever had to fight, as opposed to chose to fight. Even WW2 is sorta sketch on that ground as the Japanese hardly threatened the mainland - but it's the closest I can come up with. 1812, maybe ?

Last edited by Kobal2; 10-26-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Isn't it already ? I'm struggling to find a war that the US ever had to fight, as opposed to chose to fight. Even WW2 is sorta sketch on that ground as the Japanese hardly threatened the mainland - but it's the closest I can come up with. 1812, maybe ?
He's gonna make it classier and more luxurious! It's gonna be YUUUUGE!
Old 10-26-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
It's illegal unless one of the parties consents, yes.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
He started way low-- in Brooklyn, even. And all he got was a million dollar loan from his father that he had to pay back. He knows what it's like to start from nothing!
This is why Trump's a genius. How come I never thought of borrowing a million dollars from my dad?
Old 10-26-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
It's illegal unless one of the parties consents, yes.
Hmm. I went and googled for it; couldn't find a direct link to Louisiana Revised Statutes, but I did find it at Justia:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 LRS 15:1303
§1303. Interception and disclosure of wire, electronic, or oral communications

A. Except as otherwise specifically provided in this Chapter, it shall be unlawful for any person to:

(1) Willfully intercept, endeavor to intercept, or procure any other person to intercept or endeavor to intercept, any wire or oral communication;

How does that square with the concept that people have no right to privacy when in public? Is a journalist recording cops making an arrest violating that statute if the cops are speaking?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 10-26-2015 at 01:02 PM. Reason: fixed coding
Old 10-26-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
So that's how fucking magnets work !
Might be related to the phenomenon that causes me to lose my will power when I'm close to my refrigerator. I'll take the magnets off it, and report back.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:26 PM

Lindsey Graham can't figure out how he's losing in the polls:

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/linds...150953390.html

In fairness, that's kind of a legitimate question.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Lindsey Graham can't figure out how he's losing in the polls:

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/linds...150953390.html

In fairness, that's kind of a legitimate question.
Graham appears to have no understanding whatsoever of who makes up the Republican Party.

Also, I never knew that Carson had tried to kill somebody.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
Graham appears to have no understanding whatsoever of who makes up the Republican Party.

Also, I never knew that Carson had tried to kill somebody.
Well, he did try to get that fast food worker killed by an armed robber-- trying to stab someone is taking a more personal approach. Ooooorrrrrr-- Carson is actually insane and is having on-going delusions. Take your pick.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
What a short memory you have. Saddam Hussein forced us into war by refusing to give up his WMDs.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:55 PM

Panama practically spit in our face. How could we NOT go to war?
Old 10-26-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
What a short memory you have. Saddam Hussein forced us into war by refusing to give up his WMDs.
Just in case anyone thought I was joking, this is from the 2003 SOTU address:
Quote:
Originally Posted by George W. Bush, emphasis mine:
Sending Americans into battle is the most profound decision a President can make. The technologies of war have changed; the risks and suffering of war have not. For the brave Americans who bear the risk, no victory is free from sorrow. This nation fights reluctantly, because we know the cost and we dread the days of mourning that always come.

We seek peace. We strive for peace. And sometimes peace must be defended. A future lived at the mercy of terrible threats is no peace at all. If war is forced upon us, we will fight in a just cause and by just means -- sparing, in every way we can, the innocent. And if war is forced upon us, we will fight with the full force and might of the United States military -- and we will prevail. (Applause.)
Old 10-26-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
Panama practically spit in our face. How could we NOT go to war?
And Grenada? Those bastards. I heard from someone they were totally talking smack behind our backs, and then were probably gonna get right up in our grill at some point. They needed a good smackdown, amiright?
Old 10-26-2015, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
I'm starting the believe that they think they won't get any press at all unless they something stupid.
Fiorina hasn't seemed to have said anything stupid for days, and look what's happened to her.