Old 02-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Maybe Mythbusters! could do a show where they take Levi to a laboratory and run some tests to determine exactly how long cuteness can be sustained in the presence of stab wounds.

I'd watch.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I caught Levi on Bill Maher's show a little while back and he startled me by not sounding like a total doofus. Maybe not the guy to run a whole town but at least he sounded like he'd given serious thought to the issues and unlike his ex-almost-MIL he could answer questions without tripping and falling into his own anus.

On the downside he laughs like a braying donkey. Too long in the same room as that and I'd be forced to stab him.
Yes, I saw that too. IIRC, he impressed me most by a willingness to admit ignorance of some subjects and to refrain from some knee jerk off the wall responses. That puts him miles ahead of Sarah Palin. Another plus, he was smart enough not to get railroaded into a marriage to Bristol.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:12 PM

Less a stupid (Republican idea) than it is a (stupid Republican) idea...

Congressman decides the Internet is the way to meet the ladies:
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...pt=T1&iref=BN1

Did I mention he's married?
Old 02-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punoqllads View Post
Less a stupid (Republican idea) than it is a (stupid Republican) idea...

Congressman decides the Internet is the way to meet the ladies:
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...pt=T1&iref=BN1

Did I mention he's married?
NOW you did.

Did he?
Old 02-09-2011, 07:35 PM

No reason you should, he didn't.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:37 PM

Hey! You! Yeah, you, Kaylasdad! Knock it off!
Old 02-12-2011, 02:13 PM

South Carolina is like a gift that keeps on giving. Fearing hyperinflation in the foreseeable future, a state senator is proposing the creation of a South Carolina currency to fall back on:
Quote:
State Sen. Lee Bright (R-Roebuck) says that federal spending and increased monetary intervention by the Fed have placed the entire US Federal Reserve system on a path to monetary collapse. And when the crash comes, state residents will need to rely on the stable South Carolina currency to weather the storm.

"If folks lose faith in the dollar, we need to have some kind of backup," Bright told the Spartanburg Herald-Journal on Friday.
Meanwhile, over here in the real world, let's look at inflation levels over the last 40 years.

Last edited by waterj2; 02-12-2011 at 02:14 PM. Reason: forgot the link the first time
Old 02-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Hey! You! Yeah, you, Kaylasdad! Knock it off!
[Waters]You! Yes you! Stand still Luci![/Waters]*

*Yes, I know it's not actually Waters, but Wrighting [Schollmaster] would have been too obscure. By Clouds, even.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:20 PM

If you don't slash your taxes, you can't have any balanced budget ! How can you have any balanced budget if you don't slash your taxes ?!
Old 02-13-2011, 05:18 PM

And the worms ate into the pubbies' brains...
Old 02-13-2011, 05:46 PM

nm

Last edited by Revtim; 02-13-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

This is like the humor version of death by a thousand final cuts.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:31 PM

State of South Dakota HB 1171
http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/20...=HB1171HJU.htm
Quote:
Homicide is justifiable if committed by any person while resisting any attempt to murder such person, or to harm the unborn child of such person in a manner and to a degree likely to result in the death of the unborn child, or to commit any felony upon him or her, or upon or in any dwelling house in which such person is.
Note: Underlining is from bill text and NOT added by me

Yeeeehaw! Open season on abortion doctors!
Old 02-15-2011, 12:39 PM

Why doesn't South Carolina just start honoring Confederate currency (again) ?

They need to re-gauge all their railroad tracks too.

States rights, doncha know!
Old 02-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revtim View Post
http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/20...=HB1171HJU.htm
Quote:
Homicide is justifiable if committed by any person while resisting any attempt to murder such person, or to harm the unborn child of such person in a manner and to a degree likely to result in the death of the unborn child, or to commit any felony upon him or her, or upon or in any dwelling house in which such person is
. Note: Underlining is from bill text and NOT added by me

Is the underlined portion new text, added to an existing law?

The "commit any felony upon him or her, or ... in any dwelling house" is also bit severe. Open season on a lot of folks.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdvl View Post
Is the underlined portion new text, added to an existing law?.
Don't know, but note that law has the text: "This bill has been extensively amended (hoghoused) and may no longer be consistent with the original intention of the sponsor."

Perhaps it was added to an existing bill, but wasn't a law yet.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/20...=HB1171HJU.htmNote: Underlining is from bill text and NOT added by me

Doesn't it say you can kill an abortion doctor only if you're the mother ("unborn child of such person")?

So if your boyfriend tries to kill your kid by kicking you in the stomach, lethal force is justified (you can shoot his face off). A third party is not justified by this law.

Last edited by bup; 02-15-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bup View Post
Doesn't it say you can kill an abortion doctor only if you're the mother ("unborn child of such person")?

So if your boyfriend tries to kill your kid by kicking you in the stomach, lethal force is justified (you can shoot his face off). A third party is not justified by this law.
Nope.
Quote:
22-16-35. Homicide is justifiable if committed by any person in the lawful defense of such person, or of his or her husband, wife, parent, child, master, mistress, or servant, or the unborn child of any such enumerated person, if there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design to commit a felony, or to do some great personal injury, and imminent danger of such design being accomplished
Not sure if the "any person" in the first part is limited by the list of people in the second part, but it's certainly not limited to the mother.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Nope.Not sure if the "any person" in the first part is limited by the list of people in the second part, but it's certainly not limited to the mother.
So if a couple are separated, but still married, and the wife wants an abortion, the husband would be legally entitled to kill a doctor who provided a safe abortion?

Also, what is the deal with "servant" in the legislation? Is that normal legalese these days? What century are we in anyway?
Old 02-15-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Also, what is the deal with "servant" in the legislation? Is that normal legalese these days? What century are we in anyway?
I suppose if your maid or gardener wanted to get an abortion, you could whack the doctor legally.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I figure that after the Emancipation Proclamation they just did a global search-and-replace.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:22 PM

Yeah, that doesn't seem to be specifically aimed at abortion providers. It just adds another layer of protection to the self-defense, uh, defense.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:27 PM

Given that the first rule of statutory interpretations is to read the whole statute, this amendment appears to immunize what would otherwise be the murder of an abortion provider by the sperm donor, the fetus carrier’s wishes and the medical need notwithstanding.

If it makes anybody feel any better, a subcommittee of the Iowa House has just voted out a proposed bill that just flat makes any abortion, any time, with or without medical justification, unlawful. It is a three person subcommittee and the vote was two to one. The proponent (a leader of the impeach the state supreme court faction) acknowledges that the bill doesn’t have a the chances of a tinker’s bitch in court. She is just looking for a vehicle to get the whole question in front of the US Supremes. That and a little publicity.

The state legislature is in session; no man’s life, liberty or property is secure.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:31 PM

By "abortion provider", could this include pretty much anyone in the clinic?

If, for example, your housekeeper (servant) was in a clinic to get an abortion, and you did not approve, could you go in and shoot the receptionist, nurse, doctor and the cleaner, and still use this as your defense?
Old 02-15-2011, 01:40 PM

BTW, how the hell is a fetus a living person?

Genesis 2:7

And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Do the fetuses (fetusi?) have little straws poking out the po-po so they can breathe nowadays?
Old 02-15-2011, 01:49 PM

No, it just means that now you can shoot someone for fucking with the dust on your ground too.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
So if a couple are separated, but still married, and the wife wants an abortion, the husband would be legally entitled to kill a doctor who provided a safe abortion?
According to the law, why couldn't somebody also murder the mother, assuming she was voluntarily putting the fetus's life in danger by aborting it?
Old 02-15-2011, 02:39 PM

Yeah, I'm sure they could use the defense of, "But I was trying to save the baby, and whoops, the woman got in the way."
Old 02-15-2011, 02:58 PM

Here is how I think you read the clarifying subsection:

22-16-35. Homicide is justifiable if committed by any person in the lawful defense ... of his or her ... unborn child ..., if there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design ... to do some great personal injury [to the unborn child], and imminent danger of such design being accomplished.

I don't see this as an authorization to shoot the medical people who are going to abort your employee's girlfriend's fetus. I think the Second Amendment option is restricted to the mother and father of the fetus. It is not as expansive as some might think but it is still pretty radical and amounts to declaring open season on abortion providers and support staff (maybe down to the scrub nurse and the receptionist).
Old 02-15-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spavined Gelding View Post

22-16-35. Homicide is justifiable if committed by any person in the lawful defense ... of his or her ... unborn child ..., if there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design ... to do some great personal injury [to the unborn child], and imminent danger of such design being accomplished.

I don't see this as an authorization to shoot the medical people who are going to abort your employee's girlfriend's fetus. I think the Second Amendment option is restricted to the mother and father of the fetus. It is not as expansive as some might think but it is still pretty radical and amounts to declaring open season on abortion providers and support staff (maybe down to the scrub nurse and the receptionist).

Your last paragraph. WAnt to vague that up some more? Either it is or it isn't. First you say it isn't....then you say it is.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I'm not following your parsing. 21-16-35 reads:
Quote:
Homicide is justifiable if committed by any person in the lawful defense of such person, or of his or her husband, wife, parent, child, master, mistress, or servant, or the unborn child of any such enumerated person, if there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design to commit a felony, or to do some great personal injury, and imminent danger of such design being accomplished.

The 'or' conjunctions are alternates for "such person," yielding:
Homicide is justifiable if committed by any person in the lawful defense of ... the unborn child of [people just listed], if there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design to [cause harm].
Old 02-15-2011, 04:20 PM

What I’m trying to do here is reconcile the two sections. Subsection 34 clearly applies to the supposed defense of the shooter’s unborn child and no one else’s.

Subsection 35 just sticks some unborn child language in the middle of a pretty standard provision for the use of deadly force in defense of another. I can’t see Sec. 35 as extending the protection of Sec. 34 to the unborn child of, for instance, your employee. It is an awkward construction in the second section.

As I said above, you need to read the whole statute and you need to try to reconcile the conflicts.

Here, again is the whole thing, which I read as little more than an “open season on abortionists” law:

FOR AN ACT ENTITLED, An Act to expand the definition of justifiable homicide to provide for the protection of certain unborn children.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF SOUTH DAKOTA:
Section 1. That § 22-16-34 be amended to read as follows:
22-16-34. Homicide is justifiable if committed by any person while resisting any attempt to murder such person, or to harm the unborn child of such person in a manner and to a degree likely to result in the death of the unborn child, or to commit any felony upon him or her, or upon or in any dwelling house in which such person is.
Section 2. That § 22-16-35 be amended to read as follows:
22-16-35. Homicide is justifiable if committed by any person in the lawful defense of such person, or of his or her husband, wife, parent, child, master, mistress, or servant, or the unborn child of any such enumerated person, if there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design to commit a felony, or to do some great personal injury, and imminent danger of such design being
accomplished.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:26 PM

OK, so, in theory, could a woman go into an abortion clinic -ostensibly to have an abortion- and "change her mind" during the procedure, killing the doctor performing the procedure. Would that be justifiable under the proposed law?
Old 02-15-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderw24 View Post
OK, so, in theory, could a woman go into an abortion clinic -ostensibly to have an abortion- and "change her mind" during the procedure, killing the doctor performing the procedure. Would that be justifiable under the proposed law?
Sure looks like it, doesn't it. It is her unborn child and it looks as if that's all that is needed. Saying "stop I've changed my mind" might be more reasonable, but the proposed statute seem to contemplate just that.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Republican idiots in the Missouri General Assembly are at it again, proposing solutions in search of a problem, and getting national attention for it. State Senator Jean Cunningham sponsored
Stupid Republican Idea of the Day legislation to put 12 year olds to work. The proposal drew attention from Jay Leno last night. The worst thing, Cunningham is somehow Chairman of the General Laws committee that will hold hearings on the bill.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margin View Post
Your last paragraph. WAnt to vague that up some more? Either it is or it isn't. First you say it isn't....then you say it is.
The Spav (as we like to call him) has earned a reputation for clarity and quiet dignity you would be welll advised to admire.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:40 PM

A grateful but restrained nod to my learned friend from the frozen wasteland beyond the Root River Valley.

With the onset of the February thaw we can all expect that he will soon cut himself out of his winter underwear, the burning of which is the sure and certain harbinger of Spring along the Upper Mississippi. If there ever were any decent painters from Minnesota we can be sure that the seminal picture would be titled “Burning the Winter Underwear,” and it would have the same iconic status as Grant Wood’s “American Gothic” or “Spring Corn.”
Old 02-17-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
If there ever were any decent painters from Minnesota we can be sure that the seminal picture would be titled “Burning the Winter Underwear,” and it would have the same iconic status as Grant Wood’s “American Gothic” or “Spring Corn.”
I don't know. A seminal picture? I'm thinking more along the lines of Maplethorpe. Or am I thinking 'semenal?'

Last edited by Jack Batty; 02-17-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
A grateful but restrained nod to my learned friend from the frozen wasteland beyond the Root River Valley....
Aw, hell, Spav, go wild! Nod twice, let yer ya-yas out! Neighbors aren't looking!

Now, about this "underwear" of which you speak......?
Old 02-18-2011, 05:17 PM

Bachmann now decides that if the government gives you a tax break for something, you're spending government money:

Quote:
"To think that government has to go out and buy my breast pump for my babies. You wanna talk about the nanny state? I think we just got the new definition of a nanny."

"I strongly believe in breastfeeding," Bachmann said on Thursday's "Good Morning America," but argued the "tax code is used by government as social engineering."

Last week, the Internal Revenue Service said it would reclassify breast pumps as medical-care purchases that could be deducted as medical expenses.

Interesting how all of a sudden a tax cut is a bad thing.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:40 PM

What a boob!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:10 PM

Governor Scott Walker reveals his secret plans to a reporter claiming to be David Koch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Governor Scott Walker
…I would be willing to sit down and talk to him, the assembly Democrat leader, plus the other two Republican leaders—talk, not negotiate and listen to what they have to say if they will in turn—but I’ll only do it if all 14 of them will come back and sit down in the state assembly…legally, we believe, once they’ve gone into session, they don’t physically have to be there. If they’re actually in session for that day, and they take a recess, the 19 Senate Republicans could then go into action and they’d have quorum…so we’re double checking that. If you heard I was going to talk to them that’s the only reason why. We’d only do it if they came back to the capital with all 14 of them…
Not so secret no more...
Old 02-23-2011, 04:22 PM

Oh, look, now the Buffalo Beast website is down.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Governor Scott Walker reveals his secret plans to a reporter claiming to be David Koch.
Not so secret no more...
So I think he said to the "fake" reporter that:

I have no intention of negotiating or listening to my democrat colleagues. I only said I would talk to them in order to fool them into returning to the state. Once they are physically here, I will wait for them to take a recess, then claim we have quorum and jam the legislation through without them.

Nice.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:43 PM

Yet another Fox Typo: Gallup poll which shows 61 percent of its respondents oppose Governor Walker's efforts to bust unions is characterized on Fox & Friends as showing the exact opposite.

After discussing the implications of this for a good chunk of the show, in the final minute of the show, Brian Kilmeade noted the mistake and issued an apology. In the final minute. Plausible deniability, anyone? "Oh, yeah, we corrected that error, our bad."
Old 02-23-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenaroph View Post
Yet another Fox Typo: Gallup poll which shows 61 percent of its respondents oppose Governor Walker's efforts to bust unions is characterized on Fox & Friends as showing the exact opposite.

After discussing the implications of this for a good chunk of the show, in the final minute of the show, Brian Kilmeade noted the mistake and issued an apology. In the final minute. Plausible deniability, anyone? "Oh, yeah, we corrected that error, our bad."
Why would any self-respecting reporter call Fox "News" a news network? It is an insult to the entire profession.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Not so secret no more...
I want someone to interview Dick Tuck about this.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:29 AM

"Fox 'n' Friend" is in full-on anti-union mode. This morning I caught a part of a story where they were presenting a speech from the head of some teacher's organization ... I can't remember which ... saying essentially: 'If we want to make a difference in education standards we need the power of the union.' This story was presented with the title splash: Education Leader's Focus: Power, Not Children.

The very next story was a cry and moan piece because Waiting for Superman was 'snubbed' in Oscar nominations. The reason: it's critical of unions, of course.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:43 AM

An opinion piece from FoxNews.com today: Egyptian Protest Is No Tea Party. Now, I find most comparisons between what's happening in Egypt and anything else flat-out stupid, but that's not why I'm posting. Rather, I read the following single, small point of comparison contained therein:
Quote:
The media tells us that the Egyptian protests “drew on every segment of the Egyptian population,” while the same media tells us that Tea Party protests are racist, homogenous, and not a welcome place for black people. The media seems obsessed with counting black people at protests. So how could they miss the rather glaring fact that there are more black people at an average Tea Party than there were in the protests in Egypt?
Which is so mind-numbingly stupid that I think I experienced a short loss of consciousness while my mental gears spun trying to process it. The fact is, according to the CIA World Factbook, that Egypt's ethnic population is 99.6% homogenous Egyptian. Kinda dismisses the point with prejudice, dunnit?
Old 02-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

But Egypt is in Africa, Africa is full of black people.

Therefore Egypt must be full of black people.