Old 06-03-2019, 11:06 AM

The 14th annual SDMB Shot Glass Exchange is HERE!

Usually feppytweed honchos this gig, but since he’s apparently been waylaid by life*, I’m going to kick off this year’s exchange. I’ve shamelessly stolen much of the below from a previous year’s announcement.

The rules are pretty simple:
  • Reply to this thread and let me (and everyone else) know that you want to participate. The deadline will be July 1.
  • Send me an email at sdmbshotglass @ gmail . com. [Note: this is obviously a different email address than the one used in previous exchanges]. In your email please provide:
    1) Your Doper handle
    2) Your real name
    3) Your mailing address
    4) Whether or not you are willing to ship internationally. We’ve have players in the past from the UK, Canada, and Australia and I’d love to have them play again.
  • Names are picked Round-robin style... The person you're receiving from isn't necessarily the person to whom you're sending a glass.
  • Send your glass promptly!
  • Receive your glass and—perhaps most importantly—make sure it works.
  • The more the merrier, but please, please refrain from participating if you're going to be busy, going through a move, or otherwise indisposed.

If you’ve played in the past but have been burned by someone who didn’t send, I urge you to give it another chance. I know there are several Dopers (myself included) who are willing to send a second glass to someone who gets gypped.

Finally, fell free to throw in some extra goodies, local flair, or samples of select beverages so that your recipient can test-drive their new glass. Personally, that’s one of my favorite aspects of this. I still use the coffee mug that Baker sent the first year I played, and a bottle opener that silenus sent a few years back still gets regular use. Many other bits and bobs I've received in the exchanges get use as well.

It’s a fun way to get some goodies from far corners of the map.

Again, the deadline will be July 1. I think that will give everyone time to find that perfect glass to send.

This should be fun!

SPOILER:
I sent feppytweed a PM back in March inquiring about the date for this year’s exchange as I had a busy spring and didn’t want to miss out. He replied that he would kick it off a week later. However, he hasn’t posted on the boards since then and hasn’t logged in in ~3 ½ weeks. I know last year he didn't actually participate in the exchange, he just organized it. The guy's clearly a busy fellow and I don't want to bug him any further.

So feppytweed, I hope I’m not stepping on your toes or otherwise committing some egregious faux pas by emceeing this year’s exchange.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:11 AM

I've legit been thinking about this for a good month or so because I thought I missed it. Then again, I didn't do anything about it so I'm part of the problem.

Regardless, I'm in baby!

BTW if anyone is new, the "local flair and goodies" isn't, like, mandatory...but everyone does it. I say that just because I definitely felt like an asshole when I just sent a shot glass and got back a really nice care package.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:39 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

In!!!
Old 06-03-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
BTW if anyone is new, the "local flair and goodies" isn't, like, mandatory...but everyone does it. I say that just because I definitely felt like an asshole when I just sent a shot glass and got back a really nice care package.
Indeed. This is a shot glass exchange and adding a bunch of other goodies is optional. Having said that, everyone does add extra goodies but none of it has to be (and probably shouldn't be) expensive stuff: key chains, refrigerator magnets, a cheap Bic pen emblazoned with the name of a local company... all are welcome. The idea is to represent a bit of your neck of the woods. I've been picking stuff up since December just for the purpose of this exchange. Whoever I get will get quite a fun box of local swag—that cost less than $15 total.

Ultimately though, it's all about having fun.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:15 PM

That is a very good point. I should have mentioned the goodies needn't be expensive.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Is the address broken? It will not work for me.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

I think I got it. It was a misspelling. Anyway, I am in!

Last edited by Baker; 06-03-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

I already have the shot glass and "other stuff" selected. Let's get a nice, large group this year so things really get sent around!
Old 06-04-2019, 11:27 AM

So far I have confirmed:

Sir T-Cups
silenus
Baker

I received emails from all 3 of you, so you're good to go.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

IN!
email to be sent shortly...perhaps EOD
Old 06-04-2019, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Totally in! Actually bought the shot glass some months ago in anticipation of this.

Special thanks to silenus for the heads up!
Old 06-05-2019, 12:27 PM

Bump.

So far we have playing:

Lancia
Sir T-Cups
silenus
Baker
zoid
Labdad

zoid, I never received an email with your particulars. No hurry, but I don't want you to miss out when I send out everyone's recipient.

Later in the month I'm going to send out PM's to past players to see if they want to join in again this year. However, I'm going to wait a while and let this thing grow naturally first.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

I'm in!
Old 06-06-2019, 06:48 PM

In!
Old 06-07-2019, 11:39 AM

Update:

We have playing:

Lancia
Sir T-Cups
silenus
Baker
zoid
Labdad
dogbutler
Sicks Ate

I still haven't received an email from zoid, and I haven't received one from Sicks Ate either. Note that, since this is my first year doing this I had to set up a dedicated email address for the exchange. This is a separate email address from the one that feppytweed used.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

I'm in, too. Email sent.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romansperson View Post
I'm in, too. Email sent.
Excellent! Email received.

I'm going to go ahead and PM some past players and see if they want to join in. silenus, does deedeeknowit want to play again this year?

Also, if there's enough interest maybe we can do a coffee mug exchange this fall. We've done that a time or three in the past and it was fun, too.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancia View Post
silenus, does deedeeknowit want to play again this year?
Sure, why not? The more the merrier.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:08 PM

Email forthcoming, probably tomorrow.

I almost didn't play this year, because things are crazy and I haven't planned ahead at all. I'll send more than a shot glass, but can't promise a REALLY impressive package. Edit: Not the first time I've said that, probably not the last.

If anyone else is holding back in participating because they're apprehensive about not blowing their recipient away, please join in an let Lancia know in your email that you're interested in a more casual exchange. Maybe connections can be made there.

Last edited by Sicks Ate; 06-07-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

I like to assemble packages with little, local things, along with the glass, but even that is not required, JUST THE GLASS. I have kept all the glasses I ever got, on a display shelf in my living room. I do not have the discipline to keep a diary, but little things like the shotglass brings back fun memories!
Old 06-07-2019, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I like to assemble packages with little, local things, along with the glass, but even that is not required, JUST THE GLASS. I have kept all the glasses I ever got, on a display shelf in my living room. I do not have the discipline to keep a diary, but little things like the shotglass brings back fun memories!
i sent a bunch of local free stuff last year, and my recipient enjoyed it. So don't feel like you need to spend money, other than shipping to give someone some joy.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:12 AM

I'll be in! I'll send the email when I get to my computer.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:36 PM

All right, y'all got me. I'm in!
Old 06-08-2019, 05:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I'm in.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:23 PM

Yeah, definitely doesn't have to be fancy or expensive stuff. I use my shot glasses, and a bottle opener, can cozy, coffee mug, and probably other stuff I've gotten in the past. It's fun to have just little stuff around, as Baker said.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:42 PM

Update:

We have playing:

Lancia
Sir T-Cups
silenus
deedeeknowit
Baker
zoid
Labdad
dogbutler
Sicks Ate
romansperson
Teuton
Inter Alia
Czarcasm

I have emails with w/ mailing addresses from everyone except zoid.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Update:

We have playing:

Lancia
Sir T-Cups
silenus
deedeeknowit
Baker
zoid
Labdad
dogbutler
Sicks Ate
romansperson
Teuton
Inter Alia
Czarcasm

I have emails with w/ mailing addresses from everyone except zoid.
Rectified
Old 06-14-2019, 08:35 AM

Giving this a bump just in case anyone has missed it.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:19 PM

Okay players, we haven't had any new sign-ups for a week now. I PM'd past players who participated in the last 10 or so exchanges (so, the majority of them) and, well, still no recent sign-ups. Most no longer post here and the ones that do are mostly in already.

Do we want to go ahead and kick this thing off?
Old 06-15-2019, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

I'd give it until Wednesday or so, then pull the trigger. That way we will get any of the weekenders who see the thread and want to play, along with the people that just check in on Mondays and such.

I'm ready to rock. Git the glass, got the various garbage to go with...just need an address.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

I am ready to go! My only regret about past exchanges is that I did not keep records of who sent what glass in my collection.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:27 PM

Assembled my humble contribution on my anniversary getaway this week. Ready to go as soon as my target is selected!
Old 06-16-2019, 02:46 AM

I don't have the glass yet, but can see about getting one - I think we are going somewhere touristy next weekend.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:39 AM

I like silenus's idea. If no new players sign up between now and Wednesday, I'll close the door then and start sending out emails.

Last edited by Lancia; 06-16-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:48 AM

Also, is there interest in a coffee mug exchange? We can do one this fall (October / November) if there's enough people who want to join.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

We'd both be down with that. Dee and I both use our last exchange mugs on a regular basis.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Sure. I'd be happy to do mugs later on.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:07 PM

Got a special shot glass this past week!

So excited to give it away.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

In addition to the shotglasses I have the coffee mugs I have exchanged. They are mostly on display, every once in a while I drink from one.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Also, is there interest in a coffee mug exchange? We can do one this fall (October / November) if there's enough people who want to join.
I could do that.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:57 PM

I'll play.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:00 AM

So that brings us to:

Lancia
Sir T-Cups
silenus
deedeeknowit
Baker
zoid
Labdad
dogbutler
Sicks Ate
romansperson
Teuton
Inter Alia
Czarcasm
BeeGee

That makes 14 players so far.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:03 PM

Was just doing dishes and washed my wife's favorite shot glass, which she uses when she wants to measure a drink like a responsible adult. It's a nifty glass from Oregon with a compass in the bottom So I had an enjoyable moment and lined it up with all of the other glasses I've received in the past. No, I didn't line'em up and knock 'em down, but it was fun to see them all at the same time.

Ah what the hell, all I have left to do today is mow the lawn. Might as well enjoy one!*

*Disclaimer: Sicks Ate is a professional with extensive training and years of experience in mowing after a drink. Or two. Do not try this at home. If you think you may have a drinking problem....please...hire someone to mow for you. Nobody likes to see crooked lines.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:19 AM

LAST CHANCE TO GET IN ON THE FUN!!!

I'm going to try to match up senders and recipients this evening. Work has been hell and I'll be out of town from early tomorrow AM until Sunday afternoon. If I can't get to it tonight I'll do it Sunday evening. Regardless, everyone should have their recipient's name and address by Monday at the latest. Remember I'll be emailing them to the email address you used to send me your info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
Was just doing dishes and washed my wife's favorite shot glass, which she uses when she wants to measure a drink like a responsible adult. It's a nifty glass from Oregon with a compass in the bottom
That shot glass was the one that got me hooked on collecting these things. When I picked up that one for the exchange I got one for myself, and thought it was so cool that I decided to get myself another the next year. However, the store I had picked the compass one up at had closed down so I had to sniff out a new place to get them... which led me to discovering all sorts of places that sold them. Now I keep my eyes out for them whenever I travel. My collection is up to about 40.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:30 AM

I'm BACK, baby.

Sending a info in a few

Sorry I've missed the past couple - I'll make up for it, I swear.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:00 PM

OK, I'm in. Plus, the coffee mug exchange. I have some great stuff for that.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:59 PM

Names will be sent out Monday. I will be MIA until then. This will also give everyone a few extra days to sign up.

Catch y'all on the flip side.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:41 PM

Ok everyone, I just sent out everyone's recipient. Please check your email; I did not send any through PM's. A couple of notes:

1) The weekend was long and exhausting and I am tired af, so if someone didn't get an email, or got their own name, or some other silliness occurred, please let me know ASAP. I did a "reply" to everyone who sent me an email, so hopefully the emails all went through.

2) I tried to match senders with recipients who are not geographically close to them, and I skimmed through the past few years' worth of shot glass exchange threads to try to avoid anyone having the same sender/recipient pairing that they've had in previous games. I may have missed a few, but hopefully everyone has a name they haven't had before (or at least not recently).

One player noted to me that they would be a bit late (like, later this summer) sending out their glass—I let their recipient know, hopefully the wait won't be too long. I'm sure this player won't flake out (they never have before, and have played several times in the past), and hopefully the wait will be worth it.

Now it's time to go glass hunting!
Old 06-24-2019, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

In the mails! People in the Sunflower State and The Land of Perfect BBQ should be getting packages by Friday or so.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

I just dropped mine in the mail too - it's going international so it will be a little while before it shows up at the recipient's place.