Old 05-18-2017, 03:16 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Trump is speechifyin' right now, and he said that organized drug gangs have literally taken over towns and cities in the U.S.!
What towns and cities?
Old 05-18-2017, 03:21 PM

Weed, CA and Blunt, SD?
Old 05-18-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Pig View Post
The writing is on the wall as Advisors Urge Trump to Hire an Outside Lawyer.

Can you say "President Pence"?
I can, but when I do I always seem to throw up a little in my mouth.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

It makes you "mildly nauseous"?
Old 05-18-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
I can, but when I do I always seem to throw up a little in my mouth.
Better than the projectile vomiting that pronouncing the full title of 45 causes.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:28 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

And he just said "Walls work-Just ask Israel!"
Old 05-18-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
But, his desire to look for another job has changed in since running for election a mere months ago. What's changed?

This is one of the few things going on that I can certainly see a non-nefarious (if brazenly grotesque) rationale for, but I'm suspicious nonetheless. It's certainly unusual.
Like you I find his departure very, very odd. Two scenarios go through my head at the moment:

1. He has his eye on another office and doesn't want to get soaked in the Trump shit storm. He knows that by putting his fingerprints on any part of this scandal, whether it helps or hurts Trump, is a no-win situation. So he gets out of it, goes on Fox, talks about how he wanted time away from family and so forth, and waits for his opening in a few years -- whatever office that could be is anyone's guess.

2. Maybe it has nothing to do with Trump and might involve something that's not necessarily illegal but potentially embarrassing, like an extramarital affair, which in a pretty conservative Mormon state could be ruinous.

I tend to think it's scenario 1 but it wouldn't completely surprise me if it's the second one as well.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:45 PM

Trump just said at his press conference that the idea of his being impeached is ridiculous. "And everybody thinks so."
Old 05-18-2017, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Everybody who matters, to him, anyway. Anyone who doesn't think so doesn't matter, to him.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 05-18-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
I must say I am looking forward to Trump's foreign trip. With stops in Saudi Arabia, Israel, the West Bank, and the Vatican, the opportunities for gaffes and fuckups are mind-boggling.
I can't wait to see Bibi Netanyahu's flop sweat as he desperately attempts to smooth over said gaffes and fuckups. This is the kind of thing that can bring down governments.

Last edited by Alessan; 05-18-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
I can't wait to see Bibi Netanyahu's flop sweat as he desperately attempts to smooth over said gaffes and fuckups. This is the kind of thing that can bring down governments.

While Donald sails ahead entirely out of fucks to give about what he said or did.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:30 PM

The local news has been ticking me off lately. They started a story saying "Impeachment proceedings have begun against..." and I get my hopes up. It's actually about the Principal Chief of the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Indians instead of the Principal Fuckup of the American Nation.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Netanyahu doesn't strike me as the type of guy to smooth things over.

Can Trump remember that it's okay to hype Jesus at the Vatican but not so much in Israel? Not likely.

Question for the experts (you know who you are):

1) Was Mueller appointed as a Special Counsel or Special Prosecutor?

2) Is there a difference?

I'll take my answer off the air. Thank you.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
The local news has been ticking me off lately. They started a story saying "Impeachment proceedings have begun against..." and I get my hopes up. It's actually about the Principal Chief of the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Indians instead of the Principal Fuckup of the American Nation.
That's some Grade-A trolling by the local news.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Netanyahu doesn't strike me as the type of guy to smooth things over.
I'm kinda curious what the conversation about the intelligence Trump gave the Russians is going to go like. You know, the intelligence that may well have come from Israel. And will certainly end up in Syria and Iran. Could be a little awkward.

Betcha Bibi's having second thoughts about Obama right about now.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:40 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
I wonder if he'll manage to actually mention the Jews while he's there.
I'm not sure I want that antisemite to mention Jews.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:48 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
While Donald sails ahead entirely out of fucks to give about what he said or did.
To be out of something implies one had the thing at one time. A more accurate description would be "still without".
Old 05-18-2017, 05:06 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Pity J. Fred Buzhardt is dead.
And Saul Goodman has mysteriously disappeared.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:12 PM

sigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailybeast
Trump doesn’t just hope that Flynn will beat the rap. Several sources close to Flynn and to the administration tell The Daily Beast that Trump has expressed his hopes that a resolution of the FBI’s investigation in Flynn’s favor might allow Flynn to rejoin the White House in some capacity
which is really sad, not because it would be
Quote:
a scenario some of Trump’s closest advisers in and outside the West Wing have assured him absolutely should not happen
but because
Quote:
“He did not want to be National Security Adviser,” Michael Ledeen, a friend of the retired Army general, told The Daily Beast on Thursday. “He didn’t want to be in the government. He wanted to go back to private life. But Trump insisted on it.”
Some folks just need to learn how to move on.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:14 PM

From the Trumpster himself:

Quote:
President Trump denied any contacts between Russia and his campaign, though he added, “I can only speak for myself.”
Bumpity bumpity bump. There goes every one of his associates under the bus.

Last edited by Euphonious Polemic; 05-18-2017 at 05:14 PM. Reason: quote tags
Old 05-18-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
From the Trumpster himself:

I'm surprised that line isn't getting more coverage. It's clearly setting the stage for bus throwing.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:18 PM

I cannot understand why the left wants to get rid of Trump. If you are going to have a Republican in the White House, wouldn't you rather have.a bumbling ex-democrat social moderate who can be manipulated with flattery and who has his two Democrat-voting children advising him, rather than a competent social conservative true believer?

Impeaching Trump means president Pence. In what world is that an improvement from the left's perspective? If anything, Pence will be even more conservative than Trump, but he's also much more skilled at working the Congress and the media. Hence, he will likely be more effective at advancing a conservative agenda. And if Pence doesn't take the job, or somehow goes down with Trump, you get President Ryan, whose main goals are reforming entitlements, flattening taxes, and lowering regulations

From the left's perspective, an idiot like Trump is the best card in a very bad hand, isn't he?
Old 05-18-2017, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Trump, Pence, or Ryan: which one is more likely to not get us into a war by pissing off the wrong country?
Old 05-18-2017, 05:22 PM

Speaking for myself, it's because I put country before party. Trump is a disaster for the party and the country, and he is supremely dangerously incompetent, and will drag the party down with him. But, I want him out of there ASAP for the sake of the country.

That shouldn't be hard to understand for anyone.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

No. He is doing damage to the country, Sam.

When you are not devoted to an ideology that focuses on the self, you realize that other people matter too, even those who are not on your team. Might want to try that some time.

Last edited by JohnT; 05-18-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
I cannot understand why the left wants to get rid of Trump. If you are going to have a Republican in the White House, wouldn't you rather have.a bumbling ex-democrat social moderate who can be manipulated with flattery and who has his two Democrat-voting children advising him, rather than a competent social conservative true believer?

Impeaching Trump means president Pence. In what world is that an improvement from the left's perspective? If anything, Pence will be even more conservative than Trump, but he's also much more skilled at working the Congress and the media. Hence, he will likely be more effective at advancing a conservative agenda. And if Pence doesn't take the job, or somehow goes down with Trump, you get President Ryan, whose main goals are reforming entitlements, flattening taxes, and lowering regulations

From the left's perspective, an idiot like Trump is the best card in a very bad hand, isn't he?
Country before party. Trump is a disgrace.

ETA, ninja'd

Last edited by Procrustus; 05-18-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:

You are absolutely correct, from a sharply partisan point of view.

Can you possibly understand why there are many on the left who are not sharply partisan, and would feel that perhaps, just perhaps, Trump is an absolute danger to the economy, and to the safety of the world, and this is MORE IMPORTANT than partisan advantage?
Old 05-18-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Speaking for myself, it's because I put country before party. Trump is a disaster for the party and the country, and he is supremely dangerously incompetent, and will drag the party down with him. But, I want him out of there ASAP for the sake of the country.

This. He is an embarrassment, in addition to being dangerous because of his ignorance, his refusal to learn/be taught, and his complete lack of awareness of...well, of anything.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:30 PM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

Quote:

You, like it seems most republicans, are missing the very important point. This isn't my side vs. your side. This is America. Trump leading America is a horrible idea. No good comes from a lying, mis-informed, narcissist. After I got over the shock of the election, My thoughts were, "OK so he sets America back by 4 years, its happened before and it will happen again, we can handle it." But Trump has to continue to go full on lying bastard. Not good for anybody. Pence makes America (except for the 1%) poor again. We can come back from that.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
No. He is doing damage to the country, Sam.

When you are not devoted to an ideology that focuses on the self, you realize that other people matter too, even those who are not on your team. Might want to try that some time.
What are you talking about? Trump is supposedly on 'my' team, and I haven't had a single nice thing to say about him. The last time I talked anout him here, I said he was a stain on the Presidency. There are a hell of a lot of 'Never Trump' Republicans who DID put country ahead of party in this case. That takes more courage than opposing a President who is in the other party.

And why the random cheap shot? Just can't contain yourself?
Old 05-18-2017, 05:33 PM

As for the rest of the comments - good to hear it. That's the way I feel as well.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:36 PM

Rosenstein Says He Knew Trump Planned to Fire Comey Before Writing Memo

Quote:
Rod J. Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general, told senators on Thursday that he knew President Trump planned to fire James B. Comey as director of the F.B.I. before he wrote a memo outlining the reasons for his dismissal, according to three Democratic lawmakers who were in the briefing.
Bolding mine.

We all knew this already, but still....
Old 05-18-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
As for the rest of the comments - good to hear it. That's the way I feel as well.
And yet you started off your comment with "I cannot understand why the left wants to get rid of Trump"

Which means you have a really, really shitty view of what motivates "the left".
Old 05-18-2017, 05:38 PM

Pence's only redeeming quiality is one of humor. He doesn't intend it, but whatever. When he tries to feign thoughtful dignity he squints his eyes and makes a kind of straight line smile- no mouth curving. He looks like he is ripping one of those long quieter high pitched squeaky farts: furrrrrrrrrrrrrrt.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Pence's only redeeming quiality is one of humor. He doesn't intend it, but whatever. When he tries to feign thoughtful dignity he squints his eyes and makes a kind of straight line smile- no mouth curving. He looks like he is ripping one of those long quieter high pitched squeaky farts: furrrrrrrrrrrrrrt.
I think he's trying to imitate Anderson Cooper's 'serious face.' Possibly Pence thinks about A.C. a bit too much.

But in any case: yes, Pence would be bad for the USA but Trump is disastrous for the entire world. As a life-long Democrat I eschew all party-plotting and say 'get that mentally-ill, loose-lipped idiot away from the nuclear codes.'
Old 05-18-2017, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What are you talking about? Trump is supposedly on 'my' team, and I haven't had a single nice thing to say about him. The last time I talked anout him here, I said he was a stain on the Presidency. There are a hell of a lot of 'Never Trump' Republicans who DID put country ahead of party in this case. That takes more courage than opposing a President who is in the other party.

And why the random cheap shot? Just can't contain yourself?
I responded in the spirit and tone in which your question was set.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:20 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:

I felt this way when he was first elected. Trump would do more damage to Republicans and be far less effective at getting their agenda through than Pence, so he would actually be preferable.

But after a few weeks of the continuing shit-show I changed my mind. As others has said, Trump is doing severe damage to my country, to its institutions, to its reputation, and to its standing in the world. The longer he stays, the worse it will get. I care enough about my country that I would find Pence more tolerable even if he was worse politically.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:28 PM

Fair enough.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
I think he is going to need a bigger bus...
Old 05-18-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Real question : why would he sweat ?
I mean, I know precious little about Israel's domestic politics, but can't he just say what everybody knows ? "He's obviously a muppet, don't worry, we'll wait until they get someone remotely sane up there before signing anything with them" ? It's not like Bibi or his goons are going to be responsible for Trump shoving his foot so far in his mouth he'll be shitting shoe polish for a week. Don't we all expect it at this point ?

Last edited by Kobal2; 05-18-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I cannot understand why the left wants to get rid of Trump.
Well, then, allow me to strike a blow in the never-ending battle against ignorance (article paywalled, but the opening sentence ought to suffice):

Quote:
The classified information that President Donald Trump shared with Russian officials last week came from an Israeli source described by multiple U.S. officials as the most valuable source of information on external plotting by Islamic State....
Old 05-18-2017, 06:54 PM

(Another thing to fully expect : Trump firing off a tweet his first day in Israel vouching that "Nobody knew this Israel/Palestine thing was so complicated. Apparently they tremendously don't agree on some things.")
Old 05-18-2017, 07:03 PM

If Trump pulls off this visit without actually causing a war, or shitting in his own pants, this will be touted as a MAJOR TRIUMPH.

The bar is set pretty darn low at the moment.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:03 PM

Just wait until he suggests that one side should pay rent to the other. I give no odds on which side would be which.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Fair enough.
I too was schooled by the replies to Sam. I've been saying I'm more afraid of "Evil and Competent" than "Evil But Luckily Incompetent". I'm afraid I was underestimating the damage that can do, and yes, I do need to put America First Foremost.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:43 PM

In D&D terms, Pence is lawful evil, which is very bad, whereas Trump is chaotic evil, which is far, far worse.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
But after a few weeks of the continuing shit-show I changed my mind. As others has said, Trump is doing severe damage to my country, to its institutions, to its reputation, and to its standing in the world. The longer he stays, the worse it will get. I care enough about my country that I would find Pence more tolerable even if he was worse politically.
This.

Even more importantly, the longer this shitshow stays in office, the more normalized a shitshow presidency becomes. If we give Trump a pass on flagrant violations of the public's trust, we open the door for the next guy (or woman) to do the same or worse. Republicans might not care about Trump's ass-showing, but I seriously doubt they'd be so nonchalant if a liberal was doing the same thing. If we ever get a liberal shitshow president, Republicans will be eager to tell Democrats "Hey, when our guy was showing his ass, we kicked him out. Where's your integrity?" The game the Republicans are playing now almost guarantees the Dems will play even dirtier when they are back in control. I'm very liberal, but even I don't want to see what that kind of gameplay would look like.

It's a race to the bottom if we don't do anything. We need to maintain some basic standard for the WH.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:47 PM

Investigation, impeachment and trial take time, and Trump has too big an ego to resign, so by pushing hard now for impeachment, there is a good chance that there will be a shit-show through to the mid-terms, at which time the democrats should be able to make some gains and then carry the vote on the impeachment trial, and block the republicans and their Pence on their more extreme attacks against the people.

Last edited by Muffin; 05-18-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:

This.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
President Trump denied any contacts between Russia and his campaign, though he added, “I can only speak for myself.”
Actually, he literally said, “I can only speak for myself and Russia". He said that.