Old 12-25-2018, 09:27 PM

Iokiardi
Old 12-25-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Look at this ridiculous shitstain.

Jesus Christ, Donny. Who can take you seriously? Look at the pathetic, 71 year-old with his hairline on his eyebrows and the silly, orange face. Before we take in your lies and moronic ramblings, we are subjected to the raging insecurity that compels a man to make a fool of himself in this way. Just shut the fuck up. You have failed. You're a failure and your "administration" is a foul joke. There is only one thing left, you useless pus bubble. Just one word. The only word that should be spoken whenever your name is mentioned:

Resign.
From the link:
Quote:
As uniformed servicemen were beamed into the Oval Office via satellite from US bases in Alaska, Bahrain, Guam and Qatar -- but not war zones like Iraq, Afghanistan or Syria -- Trump said he was pleased to see rich nations like Qatar -- "There are many, many ways of pronouncing it," Trump observed of the Gulf nation -- chipping in for regional security efforts.
(Bolding added)

He can't even face them by satellite.

Last edited by don't mind me; 12-25-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
He used a big word that a 7 year old was unfamiliar with. So he's got that going for him.
Fortunately, that 7-year-old who talked to Trump about Santa had no idea what 'marginal' meant

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...225-story.html
To be fair to the kid, she probably still has a bigger vocabulary than he does.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:41 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
He used a big word that a 7 year old was unfamiliar with. So he's got that going for him.
Fortunately, that 7-year-old who talked to Trump about Santa had no idea what 'marginal' meant

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...225-story.html

When I heard that the tan twerp said "marginal" to the kid, I thought, "Well, that's okay. Neither party to the conversation has any idea what 'marginal' means."
Old 12-26-2018, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

"Many of mah darkies have told me they want to go without pay until the South prevails in this Democrat Northern War of Aggression."
Old 12-26-2018, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Slate is reporting... damn. It's just too stupid to just say it.

...sigh...

Slate is reporting that Individual-1 is going to fire Mnuchin because the stock market has been going down.

https://twitter.com/Slate/status/107...970928641?s=19

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...t-declines.amp
Old 12-26-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post

...sigh...

Slate is reporting that Individual-1 is going to fire Mnuchin because the stock market has been going down.

Sigh, indeed. This obsession with the Dow is just bizarre. Somebody ... one of the few remaining grown-ups, I guess ... needs to stand up, and point out that the charter of the Treasury Department, and the Federal Reserve, does not include "making sure the markets only go up."

Last edited by jsc1953; 12-26-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:14 AM

When Trump does one of these bizarre things, I often ask, "can you imagine if Obama did this and what the right wing reaction would be?" but this time I simply can't imagine Obama doing this. It takes a truly unique bundle of stupidity, insecurity, and narcissism to answer a phone call from a little kid on Christmas eve in the manner he did.

Last edited by madmonk28; 12-26-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:45 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't mind me View Post
He can't even face them by satellite.
I guess that the ole bone spurs are acting up.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post

...sigh...

Wow. Once again I am surprised by a new level of obtuseness out of this guy. What kind of fever dream must he be in to even consider that there is a cause-effect here that works out well for him? Words fail. Nice choice with the sigh there, JohnT. I guess there is a conversation to be had re: whether we'd be better off without Mnuchin regardless.

Remember kids, you can trust GOPers to manage public affairs every. single. time!
Old 12-26-2018, 10:04 AM

[Lord Vader]
Perhaps you think your are being treated unfairly?
[/Lord Vader]

Who would contradict a boss that had no qualms at all about throwing an underling to the wolves?

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 12-26-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
When Trump does one of these bizarre things, I often ask, "can you imagine if Obama did this and what the right wing reaction would be?" but this time I simply can't imagine Obama doing this. It takes a truly unique bundle of stupidity, insecurity, and narcissism to answer a phone call from a little kid on Christmas eve in the manner he did.
In his defense (snort!) he's probably never talked to a 7 year old in his life, including his own.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
In his defense (snort!) he's probably never talked to a 7 year old in his life, including his own.
Yeah, he considers them the big kids.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2B Comprehensive View Post
Wow. Once again I am surprised by a new level of obtuseness out of this guy. What kind of fever dream must he be in to even consider that there is a cause-effect here that works out well for him? Words fail. Nice choice with the sigh there, JohnT. I guess there is a conversation to be had re: whether we'd be better off without Mnuchin regardless.

Remember kids, you can trust GOPers to manage public affairs every. single. time!
It has nothing to do with cause-effect. It's all about BLAME. He has to blame someone, and it ain't gonna be him.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2B Comprehensive View Post
Trump's probably raging he can't fire Obama or Hillary over this. You know, they must somehow be at fault. And George Soros. In Trump's mind, it couldn't possibly be his instability and craziness that are to blame.

Countdown to someone like Hannity, Limbaugh, or Coulter blaming Obama or Hillary for the market, though.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
Trump's probably raging he can't fire Obama or Hillary over this. You know, they must somehow be at fault. And George Soros. In Trump's mind, it couldn't possibly be his instability and craziness that are to blame.

Countdown to someone like Hannity, Limbaugh, or Coulter blaming Obama or Hillary for the market, though.
Wait, hold on. The Dow is up today; therefore, Trump is a genius again, and Mnuchin can keep his job for another 24 hours.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Wait, hold on. The Dow is up today; therefore, Trump is a genius again, and Mnuchin can keep his job for another 24 hours.
But with regard to the market, is Trump a stable genius?
Old 12-26-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
trump's probably raging he can't fire obama or hillary over this. You know, they must somehow be at fault. ....
Exactly!!

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 12-26-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Somebody ... one of the few remaining grown-ups, I guess ... needs to stand up, and point out that the charter of the Treasury Department, and the Federal Reserve, does not include "making sure the markets only go up."
The response to that will be "you say that because you are WEAK!!" -- the notion that any part of the government or of independent public entities does not have as its primary mission making DJT look good at any cost, that there is NO official or organization who is not an underling owing him personal obedience, or even that anyone has to accept that sometimes you lose, is just unacceptable.

As previously mentioned, the only way he knows how to deal with pushback is through intimidation, through "hitting back harder" so they are sorry to have challenged him. And so far in life it has worked well because even people who could have been in a position to push back effectively often felt it was not worth the cost and aggravation and image hit to do so (the "wrestling with the pig" scenario).

Last edited by JRDelirious; 12-26-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:11 PM

Only "The Best!" hires:

Acting AG incorrectly claimed 'Academic All-American' honors on resume: report

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...merican-honors

Quote:
Matthew Whitaker, the acting attorney general, incorrectly claimed on his resume and on government documents that he was named an Academic All-American while he played football at the University of Iowa, The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday.

Whitaker claimed the Academic All-American status in his biography on the website of the law firm where he used to work, as well as on a résumé he sent in 2014 to a patent-marketing firm, according to the newspaper.

The Journal reported that the résumé was also included in documents that the Federal Trade Commission released in November and that the claim was included in a 2009 press release from the Department of Justice.

A spokeswoman for the College Sports Information Directors of America told the Journal that the organization doesn't have a record of Whitaker as an Academic All-American. The spokeswoman, Barb Kowal, said Whitaker appeared to have been awarded a lower honor, an All-District honor.

Additionally, his name isn't on a list of past Academic All-Americans on the organization's website.
False claims on government documents? Trump might have to find a permanent position for this multi-level fraudster.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
anyone has to accept that sometimes you lose
Yabbut, the DOW climbed to effing 26,000, and the other indicies saw similar gains. The really smart people sold above 26k, and made a healthy profit, not losing at all. The sort-of smart people like me swapped out of stocks above 24k, locking in gains from the whole economic expansion, if they'd been investing all along. Some still pretty smart people will decide it is still worth selling now, either to take what profit they can or to protect against the downside. And the very last guy who decides to sell takes a bath, because he's selling at the bottom and the whole thing is going to bounce the other way some day. It's called a Stock Market.

Then there's Trump, who suggests firing the Treasury Secretary over falling stock prices, when he's the guy who tethered his star to stock prices in the first place!
Old 12-26-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
But with regard to the market, is Trump a stable genius?
Only in the sense that a stable is where you keep jackasses...
Old 12-26-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
I'll admit, Trump is a genius at jackassery--it's a feature of what he is and does, not a bug. It's also what appeals to much of his base. Country might be going down the toilet, but at least the liberuls are triggered.

Last edited by dasmoocher; 12-26-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Who would contradict a boss that had no qualms at all about throwing an underling to the wolves?
Someone whose self-respect mattered more than their greed or ambition would probably write a "fuck you" resignation letter and walk away.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:45 PM

Surprise!

Trump And First Lady Make Secret Trip To Iraq To Visit U.S. Troops
Quote:
President Trump and first lady Melania Trump traveled to Iraq to visit U.S. troops the day after Christmas, a surprise trip the president had been hinting at for some time.

The Trumps' arrival at Al Asad Air Base, in western Iraq, followed the president's orders to pull back on U.S. troop deployments that have come under intense scrutiny.

The trip was announced on Twitter by press secretary Sarah Sanders. It's the president's first such trip since taking office nearly two years ago.

The president and the first lady spent about three hours at Al Asad. Trump delivered a speech and defended his decision to withdraw American forces from Syria.

The president and the first lady also met with troops. They visited a dining hall and posed for photos and signed autographs. The official party was then set to return to Air Force One for the flight back to the United States.
They stayed three hours.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Where's the fucking like button? <stab stab stabbity stab>

This is a great one-liner, and I'mma stealing it.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Of all the total outrages of the Trump Administration, we can cross off "Failed to ever visit troops in a combat zone." That only leaves 847 other crimes, failures, embarrassments and fuck-ups.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Amazing how quickly a PR stunt can be organized when necessary. If only that same level of organization could be applied to any and every other thing in this administration.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Of all the total outrages of the Trump Administration, we can cross off "Failed to ever visit troops in a combat zone."
'Shit! They're on my case for not visiting the troops? Fine! I'll show them! Get me Air Force One...'
Old 12-26-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
'Shit! They're on my case for not visiting the troops? Fine! I'll show them! Get me Air Force One...'
He must really hate hanging out in the White House
Old 12-26-2018, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

And I've just seen this: Twitter Users Suspect Trump Didn't Visit Iraq Troops Out Of Generosity Of His Heart.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
I liked the comment about changing the White House locks while Trump is gone.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:33 PM

Whether or not it was a last minute publicity stunt, this one I can't criticize much. If public pressure/perception got him to act like a halfway decent human being at least a few times during his miserable tenure, all the better.

The other million terrible things happening on a near daily basis on the other hand....
Old 12-26-2018, 04:33 PM

The what of his what??
Old 12-26-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Maybe I'm a little too cynical and mistrustful, but I can't help but wonder if six months from now someone will come out and say, "Yeah, this was actually filmed at Fort Myer."

Last edited by Swampwolf; 12-26-2018 at 04:38 PM. Reason: added link
Old 12-26-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampwolf View Post
Maybe I'm a little too cynical and mistrustful, but I can't help but wonder if six months from now someone will come out and say, "Yeah, this was actually filmed at Fort Myer."
Agreed. How long did it take to fly there, one-way? And the trip back? All that for a 3-hour photo-op, I mean, visit to the deserving troops? When his original plan was to be golfing in Florida about this time? I find it hard to believe he was talked into this by his PR staff, too -- it's such an imposition on his time, and a trip like this, for a man of his years (and health) is not nothing, even in a flying hotel room. It does fit with his ego and level of displayed 'intelligence' that he would think he could perpetrate such a scam and not think (and not care, either) it would ever get exposed.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romansperson View Post
Amazing how quickly a PR stunt can be organized when necessary. If only that same level of organization could be applied to any and every other thing in this administration.
In all honesty, *every* presidential visit to Iraq since 2003 has been a PR stunt. It's not like they're going there to hand-deliver military orders.

(And...every presidential or cabinet-level visit to Iraq or Afghanistan since 2001 has been "unannounced". When the day comes that we all get advance notice that a president is going to put Baghdad or Kabul on the itinerary, we'll know that we've achieved Utopia.)
Old 12-26-2018, 04:53 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripthicket View Post
Agreed. How long did it take to fly there, one-way? And the trip back? All that for a 3-hour photo-op, I mean, visit to the deserving troops? When his original plan was to be golfing in Florida about this time? I find it hard to believe he was talked into this by his PR staff, too -- it's such an imposition on his time, and a trip like this, for a man of his years (and health) is not nothing, even in a flying hotel room. It does fit with his ego and level of displayed 'intelligence' that he would think he could perpetrate such a scam and not think (and not care, either) it would ever get exposed.
Maybe, through a hilarious series of mistakes worthy of a Chevy Chase movie, he'll land in Florida.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
In all honesty, *every* presidential visit to Iraq since 2003 has been a PR stunt. It's not like they're going there to hand-deliver military orders.

(And...every presidential or cabinet-level visit to Iraq or Afghanistan since 2001 has been "unannounced". When the day comes that we all get advance notice that a president is going to put Baghdad or Kabul on the itinerary, we'll know that we've achieved Utopia.)
Let's remember that the original plan was for Agent Orange to spend 16 days in FL starting the weekend before Christmas. Somehow I really doubt there was any other plan in place for that time absent the latest developments that damaged his image with the wavering segments of his base.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

I was wondering why he didn't tweet at all for 20 hours between yesterday afternoon and today. It makes sense now - that's probably enough time for AF1 to fly from DC to Iraq, spend three hours on the ground, and then fly back.

I imagine he has no idea how to get his phone to connect to AF1's Wifi, and nobody wanted to show him how.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Of all the total outrages of the Trump Administration, we can cross off "Failed to ever visit troops in a combat zone." .
It's a good reminder that 15 years after the US invaded Iraq, it's still a combat zone.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
It's a good reminder that 15 years after the US invaded Iraq, it's still a combat zone.
Is Iraq still a combat zone, as far as U.S. troops are concerned? How much combat have they been involved in recently?
Old 12-26-2018, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripthicket View Post
Looks like 11 hours 10 minutes to get there (12:06AM-11:16AM ET). Three hours on the ground means departure at 2PM so back in DC early morning Thursday.

https://publicpool.kinja.com/subject...raq-1831325199
Old 12-26-2018, 06:52 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Trump posted a video to his Twitter account after leaving Iraq -- and in doing so, he gave up the location and identities of SEAL Time Five members who are deployed on a covert special ops mission.

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trum...mpression=true
Old 12-26-2018, 06:58 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Trump posted a video to his Twitter account after leaving Iraq -- and in doing so, he gave up the location and identities of SEAL Time Five members who are deployed on a covert special ops mission.

He really has a knack for always doing exactly the wrong thing.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:35 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

If Barack and Michelle had done this, Fox News and congressional Republicans would have be OUTRAGED about a presidential vacation on the public dime.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:51 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post

Remember the scene in Tora! Tora! Tora! where LCDR Kramer showed the list of people authorized to see the "Magic" intercepts and later mentioned that he was happy the president was back on the list? When I first saw the movie, I thought that was ridiculous that the president could be removed from such a list. Silly me. Thanks for helping me learn something, Trump. Good grief.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:31 PM

Oh. I thought I heard Air Force One got shot down over Iraq.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:44 PM

During his three hour photo op, Trump:
Released classified information about Seal Team Five being in Iraq.
Lied that he gave the military their first raises in ten years. They get them every year.
Lied that the raises were 10%. They were 2.6%.
Got service members to sign his MAGA gear. Service members are forbidden by law from engaging in political activities while in uniform.
Criticized Democrats for not supporting his wall. Surely at least some of the service members there were Democrats?
Old 12-26-2018, 09:47 PM

Heh. I have no idea how true this story is but it could explain why today was Trump's first ever visit to a combat zone:

New York Times: Daughters of foot doctor say he diagnosed Trump with bone spurs as 'favor' to Fred Trump

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/26/polit...war/index.html

Quote:
The daughters of a Queens foot doctor say their late father diagnosed President Donald Trump with bone spurs to help him avoid the Vietnam War draft as a "favor" to his father Fred Trump, according to a new report Wednesday.

Dr. Braunstein rented his office in Jamaica, Queens, from Fred Trump in the 1960s, the Times reported, citing records. His two daughters told the Times that their father provided the diagnosis of bone spurs as a courtesy to the elder Trump.

"I know it was a favor," Elysa Braunstein told the newspaper, who added that the "small favor" got her father "access" to Fred Trump.

"If there was anything wrong in the building, my dad would call and (Fred) Trump would take care of it immediately," she told The Times.