Old 05-01-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walken After Midnight View Post
Republican strategist Rick Wilson said that: "the moral corruption of Donald Trump is his superpower." Trump appears to have some weird power to corrupt anyone in his orbit who is susceptible to moral corruption.
I think it's more that Trump is able to publicly expose how corrupt many people already are. They just have been getting away with it hidden for a long time.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:23 PM

Comey should write another op-ed:
How I fucked Over Hillary Clinton Late In The Game To Give Trump A Push.

Fuck James Comey and his guilty conscience.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Republican strategist Rick Wilson said that: "the moral corruption of Donald Trump is his superpower." Trump appears to have some weird power to corrupt anyone in his orbit who is susceptible to moral corruption.
I don't have the book handy but, according to The Big Con, it's generally accepted in conman circles that the key to a con is knowing how to find the larcenous bit in a person's soul and tempt it out. But if that isn't there, well, you can't cheat an honest man.

Likely, not many people are honest.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post

I think the main thing that Comey needs to write about is an apology for writing a book about how to be a moral and upstanding person, who simply does his job in accordance with the norms and laws of the land, while being a person who admitted before Congress to leaking information to the press and doing so with the political aim of forcing a special counsel to be appointed.

Not to say that I disagree with the leaks and motive behind them, just that he's failed in his own estimation and doesn't seem to realize it.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
The people Trump corrupts were forever corrupt to begin with; they just didn't have the balls (or lack of shame) he did to reveal it.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:10 PM

Barr refuses to show up tomorrow.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/01/ag-w...medium=ios_app
Old 05-01-2019, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

As Ditka is to the Pit, Barr is to the House.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

To be honest, his time tomorrow would be better spent polishing up that resignation letter.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:21 PM

Mueller has plans to appear, right? If not, it's time to subpoena Mueller and quit fucking around. This "administration" is an abomination and a disgrace.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
To be honest, his time tomorrow would be better spent polishing up that resignation letter.
Why in the world would he resign as long as Trump wants him there? There are no consequences this Congress will enact against him and no one else can touch him.

ETA: Y'all better start really thinking about January 2021, IMO.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 05-01-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
The people Trump corrupts were forever corrupt to begin with; they just didn't have the balls (or lack of shame) he did to reveal it.
I think he may have some mentalist-type aptitude for reading people, which, of course, is an important skill for a conman. We know he likes to have one-on-ones with people that he's attempting to recruit, with no-one else in the room. He probably talks about how great he is to test their obsequiousness, says some outrageous things to test their moral fiber, and then makes queries regarding the potential extent of their loyalty to him.

He's also a magnet and an emboldener for morally corrupt people, because his moral corruption is so brazen, yet he seems to get away with it and is "facially", to use a Barr term, successful.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Why in the world would he resign as long as Trump wants him there? There are no consequences this Congress will enact against him and no one else can touch him.

ETA: Y'all better start really thinking about January 2021, IMO.
It was a joke. Relax.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
The Attorney General is not prepared to put himself through the same conditions that the woman interrogated at the Kavanaugh nomination hearings went through (facing questions from committee staff, rather than committee members).
Old 05-01-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
He only needs to photocopy Rosenstein's resignation letter, complete with butt licking.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:17 PM

A Thread for the Mueller Investigation Results and Outcomes

Too bad Congressional subpoenas are toothless though.

Last edited by Fiveyearlurker; 05-01-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:40 PM

I guess we learned that if you are being investigated you should do your damndest to obstruct the investigation so that there isn’t sufficient evidence to charge you with the underlying crime and therefore the obstruction is now legal.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I think he may have some mentalist-type aptitude for reading people, which, of course, is an important skill for a conman. We know he likes to have one-on-ones with people that he's attempting to recruit, with no-one else in the room. He probably talks about how great he is to test their obsequiousness, says some outrageous things to test their moral fiber, and then makes queries regarding the potential extent of their loyalty to him.

He's also a magnet and an emboldener for morally corrupt people, because his moral corruption is so brazen, yet he seems to get away with it and is "facially", to use a Barr term, successful.
Bill Barr is what happens the longer that people like Donald Trump stay in office. I think a lot of people believed that the system was strong enough to withstand Trump, that the adults in the room would put boundaries on him, and that the millions of civil servants would do their jobs regardless of what Donald Trump directed. The assumption has been that the Washington machine would chew someone like Trump up and spit him out, that the machine would outlast Trump.

Trump is defying those who make those assumptions. Whether he succeeds or not is still unclear, but what's clear is that now we're into his second attorney general. We saw that despite being an ardent Trump supporter, Jeff Sessions ultimately deferred to the customs and traditions of the justice department, because he assumed that's what an AG does and that Trump would eventually relent. But Trump didn't relent. He humiliated and made a spectacle out of Sessions. All the while, as he did, it became clear that the Senate felt increasingly confident about supporting Trump regardless of what he does - because they have their own agenda, which has a lot in common with Trump's. This isn't just Trump's war on political norms and the rule of law; it's Mitch McConnell's as well. The Republican party has no problem turning the Department of Justice into its own public defender.

But I don't think it ends there. If you're Donald Trump and the GOP, what are you telling Barr right now? You're telling him stop playing defense -- and go on offense. Attack Peter Strzok. Go after James Comey. Go after the Clintons. Counter-investigate, and investigate the investigators, and try to make hyper-politicized look legitimate. In any event, they'll assume that since everyone's investigating each other, the public will eventually just give up and tune out.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
The Republican party has no problem turning the Department of Justice into its own public defender.
https://apnews.com/7d71a4e852a74859ad4f347913743d39
Quote:
The Justice Department says the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee is trying to place “unprecedented and unnecessary” conditions on the attorney general.

William Barr was scheduled to appear before the committee on Thursday but will not show up.
You mean like this?
Old 05-01-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
LOL! Yeah, like that.

"Hearins? I don't need no stinkin hearins!"

"Subpoenas? I don't need no stinkin subpoenas!"

Look, folks, they're untouchable until January 2021 - at the earliest. I'd rather talk about how if you had 100 people at a barbecue, the guy hosting it would end up taking 40% of all the food and drinks for himself (channeling my inner Huey Long).
Old 05-01-2019, 07:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I think he may have some mentalist-type aptitude for reading people, which, of course, is an important skill for a conman.
Anybody here read the noir novel Nightmare Alley?

I’d kinda like to see the short-fingered vulgarian end up like the conman protagonist...working for a two-bit carnival biting the heads off live chickens.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmare_Alley
Old 05-01-2019, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

By the way, is there any precedent for an attorney general to label the subject of an investigation "falsely accused" after the Department has determined that the evidence does not rise to the level where they can prosecute them for a particular crime that they were investigating?

Last edited by jshore; 05-01-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:54 PM

Stop the presses! Rachel Maddow: Barr ordered end of Mueller probe.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post

Oh, yeah, Comey fucked up big time. He's an idiot and I don't get why he was so determined to put the investigation into "her emails" on blast while the investigation into tRump's connection with Russia on the down low. Somehow it would "look political" for the FBI not to prosecute Hillary in the court of public opinion, but nobody worried at all how it would look to keep tRump's issues secret.

I just thought it was interesting that he addressed how some of these people tRump surrounds himself even start to talk like he does. It made me think of Ronny Jackson, whose letter marveling at tRump's extraordinary good health sounded as though it could have been written by The Cheeto himself.
Quote:

I think so too. He has a way of finding these people. He doesn't always get it right, because sometimes even shitty people like Jeff Sessions and James Mattis will not fully cooperate with what he wants. But he still finds lots of people who will just fall in line.

I know there's got to be a lot of corruptible people, especially when it comes to the amounts of money that that exchange hands in Washington. But I guess I thought a few more of them would be willing to stand in the way of authoritarianism. I mean actual authoritarianism but they don't mind. They love it.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:13 PM

Trust me, this isn't the story; we've already known that somehow or another, Trump would eventually find a way to shut down the election. I will admit that I was wrong in the timing - I thought he'd fire Mueller much earlier than he did. As we found out, he would have if only people in his administration had actually obeyed his orders to do so, so I wasn't really all that wrong to begin with as it turns out.

But now I'm tellin you all this, and listen up good: the real fun is about to begin. While everyone's outraged over the fact that Mueller didn't convince the entire congress or the American people to drive Trump out of office, it is clear that this has landed some blows to the body, which means that Trump will inevitably have to respond in kind.

Trump's in political jeopardy. He is in legal jeopardy. Even worse than that, he and his children are in potential financial jeopardy if they end up on the wrong side of this. They've known this was coming and they've been preparing for it. All they needed were some authoritarian-minded brethren who were similarly corrupt, and they've found their partners in Mitch McConnell and now Bill Barr. And what I'm sayin is this: they're about to go on the offensive. They're not going to take this lying down. They know that the electoral math isn't in their favor and that not everyone's swallowing their bullshit, so their answer is to simply render democracy and democratic processes ineffectual, or at least less so. From Bill Barr's point of view, it starts with not just avoiding subpoenas, but rather putting the Democrats on the defensive. The Department of Justice is going to start going to after its "enemies." Bank on it.

This is what I've been talking about. I know y'all thought I was nuts, but the moment is here. It's coming. Get ready.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

You weren't the only one, Asahi.

Quote:
Reopened emails investigation is my bet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
NO time, is what's being said now; the report won't be released until noon EDT.

'Yes' to all this. The order of the day will be to distract from the report. And the best way to do that---if Trump's people don't think he can get away with actually starting a war---is to create outrage.

And they will be interested in creating as much outrage as possible.

So, yes: investigations into James Comey (for starting the investigation), into Hillary Clinton (for having gotten more votes than Trump, but ostensibly for some made-up shit), and into any other of Trump's enemies they think they can get away with targeting. I would not be remotely surprised if Barr announces investigations of Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, and especially Adam Schiff and Jerry Nadler.

Trump & Co. will want all media outlets to have not one second to devote to the Report, because they'll be so busy talking about the plans Barr has announced to harass Trump's opponents.

And it wouldn't be surprising if a large number of those tasked with the harassment (FBI and other Justice Department employees) quit in protest. So Trump's people will simply sashay over to Liberty University and deputize the entire student body.

All this will serve very well to keep people from talking about Mueller's results.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:25 PM

There was scuttlebutt not long ago (unsourced so far as I know at this point) that Barr has ties to Alfa Bank. I think a lot more Republicans have ties to Russians than we're currently aware at this point. And I believe that's why they are so malleable.

They are as scared as Trump, which makes them all dangerous as hell.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:43 PM

Matthew Miller:
Quote:
"My theory now about what happened to Bill Barr is that his change over the past 25 years has tracked the change the entire Republican party has undergone. I really think he believes this investigation never should have started to begin with. I think he believes some of the worst conspiracy theories about people inside the FBI trying to take down the president.
Will the Attorney General go from Coverup General to Witchfinder General?
Old 05-01-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
I guess we learned that if you are being investigated you should do your damndest to obstruct the investigation so that there isn’t sufficient evidence to charge you with the underlying crime and therefore the obstruction is now legal.
... If You Are A Republican.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshore View Post
By the way, is there any precedent for an attorney general to label the subject of an investigation "falsely accused" after the Department has determined that the evidence does not rise to the level where they can prosecute them for a particular crime that they were investigating?
And furthermore has actively obstructed their obtaining the necessary evidence?
Old 05-01-2019, 10:08 PM

Barr also believes that a president can shut down any proceeding against them if they think it's unfounded or if they're being falsely accused. So, basically, corrupt presidents can never be investigated.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Trust me, this isn't the story; we've already known that somehow or another, Trump would eventually find a way to shut down the election. I will admit that I was wrong in the timing - I thought he'd fire Mueller much earlier than he did. ....
Did you mean "shut down the investigation"?
Old 05-01-2019, 10:32 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.c9c0d0d8d1ac

"In that call, Mueller said he was concerned that media coverage of the obstruction probe was misguided and creating public misunderstandings about the office’s work, according to Justice Department officials. Mueller did not express similar concerns about the public discussion of the investigation of Russia’s election interference"

Mueller basically extinguished the Russia-hawk narrative, yet there are many who just can't let go. I think these people are coming unhinged and I'm somewhat frightened that such a large group of otherwise intelligent people are so nuts.

"When Barr pressed Mueller on whether he thought Barr’s memo to Congress was inaccurate, Mueller said he did not but felt that the media coverage of it was misinterpreting the investigation, officials said."

More dousing of the flames. Mueller said the media fucked up. Some disturbed individuals are having trouble with plain text.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 05-01-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:06 PM

Mueller never mentioned the fucking media; Barr is the one who fucked up.

Last edited by Jack Batty; 05-01-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Mueller said the media fucked up. Some disturbed individuals are having trouble with plain text.
Did he now? You heard him?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 05-01-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Didn't the HoR Sergeant at Arms once have the authority to deputize the Capitol Police to take defiant subpoena recipients into custody?
Old 05-01-2019, 11:34 PM

The timeline of Mueller's letters is interesting.

24th March: Barr releases to Congress, and the public, his 4-page summary of the report's principal conclusions.

25th March: Mueller sends Barr a letter enclosed with the introduction and executive summary for each volume of the report marked with redactions for public release.

27th March: Mueller sends Barr another letter telling him his summary letter "did not fully capture the context, nature, and substance" of the report, which has led to "public confusion about critical aspects of the results of our investigation." He says the release of the pre-prepared summaries would "alleviate the misunderstandings that have arisen."

Almost all the media, both Fox and the mainstream media, were going with the Trump has been exonerated narrative at this time. It took some days following the Barr summary for the idea that this was a whitewash to percolate through to the main news media.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Anybody here read the noir novel Nightmare Alley?

I’d kinda like to see the short-fingered vulgarian end up like the conman protagonist...working for a two-bit carnival biting the heads off live chickens.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmare_Alley
Victor Mature was BORN to play that role!
Old 05-02-2019, 01:13 AM

Quote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.c9c0d0d8d1ac

"In that call, Mueller said he was concerned that media coverage of the obstruction probe was misguided and creating public misunderstandings about the office’s work, according to Justice Department officials. Mueller did not express similar concerns about the public discussion of the investigation of Russia’s election interference"

Mueller basically extinguished the Russia-hawk narrative, yet there are many who just can't let go. I think these people are coming unhinged and I'm somewhat frightened that such a large group of otherwise intelligent people are so nuts.

"When Barr pressed Mueller on whether he thought Barr’s memo to Congress was inaccurate, Mueller said he did not but felt that the media coverage of it was misinterpreting the investigation, officials said."

More dousing of the flames. Mueller said the media fucked up. Some disturbed individuals are having trouble with plain text.
Again, I could explain this to you if you're genuinely not understanding what you see, but you would need to accept that I had explained to you in good faith and that what I have said is factually accurate, whether it comports with your beliefs or not.

Do you want me to do so?
Old 05-02-2019, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
We'll have to see, I suppose. No great hopes, but it certainly sounds plausible.

I'd say that it seems like a patently dumb thing to do, except I do believe that we have reached the stage where the Republican Senate has made it clear that they're going to defend Trump all the way through 2024 if it comes to it, regardless of whether he felches a live goat on TV or decides to take up a hobby of murdering peasants on the weekend. So, while impeachment isn't only for Presidents, I'm not feeling like the Senate is going to let Barr go. So far as they're liable to be concerned, if the man is willing to spend his days practicing the political coprophagia that it requires to try and hide Trump's shit, well that just spares them from having to do it. If anything, they're liable to be more protective of Barr than they have been of Trump.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 05-02-2019 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:08 AM

nevermind - misread. I thought Snowboarder was coming after me. Sorry if you happened to read my bile.

Last edited by Jack Batty; 05-02-2019 at 03:10 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Did he now? You heard him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Again, I could explain this to you if you're genuinely not understanding what you see, but you would need to accept that I had explained to you in good faith and that what I have said is factually accurate, whether it comports with your beliefs or not.

Do you want me to do so?
Let’s try again:

“When Barr pressed Mueller on whether he thought Barr’s memo to Congress was inaccurate, Mueller said he did not but felt that the media coverage of it was misinterpreting the investigation, officials said."

At this point, there are two possibilities. First you can read the above and realize you fucked up and not respond. The other option is you really are that dumb, and you continue to trudge along with your complete stupidity.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 05-02-2019 at 03:58 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:19 AM

"Officials said that Mueller said that what the officials said was fine." Meanwhile, what Mueller actually said appears to have been something entirely different.

But please keep trudging along, Governor...
Old 05-02-2019, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Let’s try again:
Well I tried. Your loss.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Let’s try again:

“When Barr pressed Mueller on whether he thought Barr’s memo to Congress was inaccurate, Mueller said he did not but felt that the media coverage of it was misinterpreting the investigation, officials said."

At this point, there are two possibilities. First you can read the above and realize you fucked up and not respond. The other option is you really are that dumb, and you continue to trudge along with your complete stupidity.
According to Barr and his people, you mean, right?
Old 05-02-2019, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
"In that call, Mueller said he was concerned that media coverage of the obstruction probe was misguided and creating public misunderstandings about the office’s work, according to Justice Department officials.
Barr is a big boy and can tell his own lies. He doesn't need you to repeat them for him like Gwen DeMarco repeating the computer in Galaxy Quest.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
At this point, there are two possibilities.
Indeed. You can either realize that you screwed up again, or you can keep digging yourself deeper.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
"Officials said that Mueller said that what the officials said was fine." Meanwhile, what Mueller actually said appears to have been something entirely different.

But please keep trudging along, Governor...
Just informing you of the reporting on the issue. It is hard to get a grip when your media is being filtered thru lord knows what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
According to Barr and his people, you mean, right?
According to the Post, with officials as a source. All of a sudden the hardcore statists are skeptical of officials. I guess the rise of Trump has helped relieve them of their childish reverence of authority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Barr is a big boy and can tell his own lies. He doesn't need you to repeat them for him like Gwen DeMarco repeating the computer in Galaxy Quest.
Don’t get the reference but I’m sure if I did that would be funny.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Just informing you of the reporting on the issue. It is hard to get a grip when your media is being filtered thru lord knows what.
The word you're searching for is "reality". I'm aware you find it hard to get a grip on reality, but the rest of us manage just fine.

Also - try reading the actual report. And then trying comprehending what you read.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
According to the Post, with officials as a source.
And you are confident that this is true? Why?
Old 05-02-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
look, he's got one fucking job on this board and he's sure as hell going to do it.