Old 04-03-2018, 06:17 PM

Machinaforce needs an intervention

Ok, I know I should post links, but you guys know the threads.

This guy is clearly mentally ill. Not like "mentally ill like all of the rest of us", but very clearly Solipsist* to the point of presenting a clear and present danger to himself and the people around him.

A long term reading of his posts will show you that the idea that 'hurting other people is wrong' is something he constantly denies. It is "other people" who tell him that it is wrong, so since other people don't necessarily exist, he refuses to accept the answer. Clearly, there is no part of his own thought patterns that have worked through this and decided it is wrong to do evil.

Which makes me worry how many pets and small animals he's tortured and killed and if he has hurt anyone. Yet.

* Solipsism - is the philosophical idea that only one's own mind is sure to exist. As an epistemological position, solipsism holds that knowledge of anything outside one's own mind is unsure; the external world and other minds cannot be known and might not exist outside the mind. As a metaphysical position, solipsism goes further to the conclusion that the world and other minds do not exist.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Ok, I know I should post links, but you guys know the threads.
Don't know how I missed 'em, but no, I don't. Someone link to a few!
Old 04-03-2018, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

No, I donít know the threads.

Clearly you live in a universe where the threads you read are the only threads that are real; all others are imaginary.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:33 PM

Here's a classic.

Quote:
I was just wondering what you think of other people. How do you regard them?

To me it just seems like everyone is an npc in a video game. It's kind of hard to see them as things that matter or that should be taken seriously.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:41 PM

Love is overrated

Is criticism untenable?

Human beings emotional vampires?

Does the self exist?

If life is optional, why live?

Those are just a few. Click on his ID, search all posts.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:43 PM

In my discussion with him about morality and harming others, he said that it was only 'other people' who told him it was wrong and therefore that was not correct.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:45 PM

It's stuff like this that raises the question of where I draw the line between "mental problem" and "character flaw." I have had to deal with people like this in my life and the quandary drives me crazy, as does the inevitable failing of the individual to seek any kind of help.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquernagy View Post
It's stuff like this that raises the question of where I draw the line between "mental problem" and "character flaw." I have had to deal with people like this in my life and the quandary drives me crazy, as does the inevitable failing of the individual to seek any kind of help.
That's an area that is often occupied by Personality Disorders.

(When I first began doing my own assessment and diagnosis, several experienced clinicians told me how best to diagnose a personality disorder: "You'll know it when you see it." I was entirely annoyed at the time...but goddamn if they weren't right.)
Old 04-03-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
In my discussion with him about morality and harming others, he said that it was only 'other people' who told him it was wrong and therefore that was not correct.
Maybe you should try to teach him phenomenology.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:09 PM

Is this thread meant to be the intervention, or is it more of a warning to the Board not to share personal information?
Old 04-03-2018, 07:14 PM

I read some of his threads ( like 3). He certainly has a distinctive idea about the world he finds himself in. I don't want to be rude, but it's kinda creepy.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:16 PM

Creepy and tedious.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andros View Post
That's an area that is often occupied by Personality Disorders.

(When I first began doing my own assessment and diagnosis, several experienced clinicians told me how best to diagnose a personality disorder: "You'll know it when you see it." I was entirely annoyed at the time...but goddamn if they weren't right.)
I take issue with this statement. Often times, what you see on the surface with someone with a Personality Disorder, at least some of the PDs, is a very misleading picture of the person struggling with the disorder. Unless you know the intricacies of the particular disorder and how it relates to the person with it, judging the person on their outward behaviors alone is problematic at best and harmful at worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
No, I donít know the threads.

Clearly you live in a universe where the threads you read are the only threads that are real; all others are imaginary.
I never search the dude's threads out but I can't help but notice the subject of the OP's ire posts threads quite frequently. As someone who regularly posts here, I'm surprised you haven't noticed Machinaforce before.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Interventions are overrated.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:46 PM

You can't intervention away a personality disorder. Just hope that he's likewise as obvious and tedious in physical space.

ETA- unless he's a troll, which is equally likely, considering how perfect borderline behaviors are for baiting normal people.

Last edited by Lasciel; 04-03-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Is this thread meant to be the intervention, or is it more of a warning to the Board not to share personal information?
What?
Old 04-03-2018, 08:26 PM

Wow, those were all by the same poster? I just read the hover text, thought "Nope!" and scrolled on.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
Wow, those were all by the same poster?
They all end up as the same thread. His major offence is his tediousness, followed only by his repetition.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

If he needs an intervention it is because somethingís wrong. Pit him, but donít jerkiishly goad someone who is clearly struggling.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Quote:
What?
The thread title states that Machinaforce needs an intervention. The OP makes the case, however, that Machinaforce is dangerously mentally ill.

Quote:
This guy is clearly mentally ill. Not like "mentally ill like all of the rest of us", but very clearly Solipsist* to the point of presenting a clear and present danger to himself and the people around him.
My question more properly rendered would be, did the OP actually intend for the Dope to stage an intervention, or is this thread a warning to avoid Machinaforce, particularly in real life because he's one scary dude?

My own impression is that he is easily influenced by depressing blogs and strange youtube videos, and brings his somber young self here to ponder the imponderable. Sometimes it's interesting. Sometimes I want to tell him to come back after college. I can just picture him reading Nietzsche and feeling all nihilistic. What is the point of it all anyway? *woe* Get out of the house kid! Have some fun! See a movie, take a walk. I promise there is more to life than the unhappiness blog.

ETA: What Wordman said while I was typing this up. Not sure he needs a pitting. I think he's just young and wandering a bit.

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 04-03-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:24 PM

I've no idea whether he's a danger to himself or others. But it's become quite apparent that humoring him doesn't help. Neither does thoughtful argument, logic or reason. I don't know if telling him that he needs immediate professional help will be effective. Worth a shot.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
If he needs an intervention it is because somethingís wrong. Pit him, but donít jerkiishly goad someone who is clearly struggling.
Did someone actually do that, or are you playing some kind of high ground game?
Old 04-03-2018, 09:47 PM

Mods, Feel free to lock this silliness.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquernagy View Post
They don't think they need help. To the extent to which they recognize the existence of other people, it is themselves who are perfect and others who are weak and stupid.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
Mods, Feel free to lock this silliness.
Are you the op? Checks. No. Then who the fuck are you to request a Pit thread be locked? Covfefe, Feel free to not read or participate.

The subject of the Pitting does, I think, have some real issues, and has blamed his .. condition ... and having been exposed to philosophy. Maybe these concepts did trigger some anxiety in him. A few of his initial threads still resulted in decent discussion amongst other contributors.

But he really did then just repost the same question over and over again phrased differently in many subsequent threads. If he's gotten onto any new schtick or demonstrated any ability to actually read and learn from the quality responses he got it happened after I gave up opening his threads anyway. Not sure why others kept engaging.

OP, what sort of intervention would you suggest? We are not his family or real life friends. He has self-identified as having an Asperger label and it may be that his position on the spectrum is such that he really does seriously struggle with abstract concepts, with empathy, and the basic concepts inherent from having a functional theory of mind. And? What should we be doing regarding that?
Old 04-04-2018, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasciel View Post
unless he's a troll
*Ding!* *Ding!* *Ding!*
Old 04-04-2018, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
They don't think they need help.
And technically, they're right - the fact that they don't get along with other people is other peoples' problem, not theirs. That's why dealing with them is a social problem, not a psychological one.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Did someone actually do that, or are you playing some kind of high ground game?
In a previous thread, MrDibble stated that M had PM'd him in a way that made it clear he was questioning whether life was worth living given his conclusions.

Machinaforce may be a troll, but I will not take a jerk route.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:29 AM

You can't post a negative thread about someone in any other forum. There isn't a thread for "posters who need psychological help." But there is value in publicly warning people.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:20 AM

I remember reading one of his early threads out of curiousity. I saw the crazy and proceeded to ignore him since. There are people who do not do this?
Old 04-04-2018, 06:35 AM

Whether or not the subject of the thread is a solipsist, I gather he enjoys being the center of attention.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:

... Machinaforce may be a troll, but I will not take a jerk route.
IOW?

Seriously I am not seeing anything jerkish about this OP.

If the OP is correct then the goading him on is being done by those who continue to engage with hi in his threads instead of simply expressing their concern. If really really correct (and I do not think so) and the Pitted poster does present a clear and present danger to himself and others, then we would have some ethical obligation to report such to those who could actually find the real person and evaluate for those risks.

If Machinaforce instead is just a confused person with some ... issues ... but not of clear and present danger (etc.) then putting out warning buoys is not being a jerk. Stating that someone seems to have mental health issues is being a jerk because they may actually have mental health issues and may be offended? Sure thing Linus.

If he is just a persistent troll, or someone who is just wanting attention for what they think are novel concepts and not really interested in engaging, then a pitting is justified.

What to you seems so jerkish?

A thread to express concern that this person may need help is not mean spirited and might be all we can do to help, if he reads it and takes it to heart. Whether or not the mods want to limit how many of the essentially same threads they let him open is up to them. But if troll, then DNFTT*, and if ill, then poking with a stick by participating in pointless repetitive discussion seems jerkish to me.

*Are we feeding him here?
Old 04-04-2018, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Everyoneís free to do what they want. I would just hate to see a pile on - but itís sure not my place to tell others what to do.

The threads - man, they reek of knotted damage.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
I take issue with this statement. Often times, what you see on the surface with someone with a Personality Disorder, at least some of the PDs, is a very misleading picture of the person struggling with the disorder. Unless you know the intricacies of the particular disorder and how it relates to the person with it, judging the person on their outward behaviors alone is problematic at best and harmful at worst.
Cheerfully conceded; "judgmental" was in no way my intention. (Nor was it my intention to pathologize any poster, alive or dead, in any way. I just find the space between the emotional and the social--the space in which PDs manifest--to be deeply fascinating on personal, academic, and professional levels.)

Last edited by andros; 04-04-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:17 AM

Why would a true Solipsist seek opinions on a message board? At best he'd be addressing imaginary reflections of imaginary people. That by itself is kinda nutty.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Why would a true Solipsist seek opinions on a message board? At best he'd be addressing imaginary reflections of imaginary people. That by itself is kinda nutty.
Even a Solipsist gotta eat.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
In a previous thread, MrDibble stated that M had PM'd him in a way that made it clear he was questioning whether life was worth living given his conclusions.
Yeah, but his phrasing made it pretty clear he was just doing it to troll. Believe me, I've seen serious cries for help and suicide attempts before, this was not that. Especially telling is that he stopped PMing as soon as I forwarded his PMs to the mods...

Last edited by MrDibble; 04-04-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Creepy and tedious.
Creepy, tedious, and hypocritical.

He argues, a lot, with things that don't exist. And he insists on winning those arguments. Seems to invest a lot of effort, thought, and emotion on wrestling us, the phantasms of his solipsistic imaginings.

In other words, a troll with a fairly limited schtick.

I just ignore him. It's like he doesn't exist.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Yeah, but his phrasing made it pretty clear he was just doing it to troll. Believe me, I've seen serious cries for help and suicide attempts before, this was not that. Especially telling is that he stopped PMing as soon as I forwarded his PMs to the mods...
Ah!!!

I had not fully understood that.

Argh.

He wants to hunker down in his cycle of damage and drag us all into his existential mosh pit. Got it.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:39 AM

You're not getting it - there is no "cycle of damage", there's just performance.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
You're not getting it - there is no "cycle of damage", there's just performance.
For a minute there, I felt bad for telling him that his posts were bullshit and that he needed to get some mental help. Not so much now.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Intervention is an illusion.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 04-04-2018, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ah - even more fool me. So much for believing in humanity

So you really think he is a Pure Trolling Troll, giggling at me/us about his faux existential angst while we try ways to speak constructively with him? Sigh.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:14 AM

The OP could get about 20 or so Dopers to simultaneously PM Intervention spam to Machineaforce. That should go over well.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:24 AM

On a more interesting note, the movie Ex Machina was wildly overrated.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
The OP could get about 20 or so Dopers to simultaneously PM Intervention spam to Machineaforce. That should go over well.
He could only imagine what that would be like.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Yeah, but the recent Star Wars sequels took the Caleb and Nathan characters in a TOTALLY unexpected direction.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I hated that movie.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
I hated that movie.
Yeah, I mean how do you even pronounce it? Ex Muh-SHEEN-uh? Ex MAH-cheen-uh? WTF-- is that even English???

Last edited by John Mace; 04-04-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Intervention is an illusion.

Regards,
Shodan
What if illusion is illusory and all there really is, is reality.

Man, THAT would suck.