Old 06-11-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
You may not know this, but we city dwellers laugh openly at folks who try to five such beasts in the city. It's hilarious to watch them try to park, either on the street or in a cramped parking garage.
Backup cameras have largely eliminated this. I rented a Dodge Ram 1500 double cab pickup in Nova Scotia a few years ago and was able to parallel park it in downtown Halifax. The backup camera makes it SO easy.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:32 PM

Actually the new GLS seems like a capable vehicle in this class, According to the online reviews. But more impressive to me is it’s main competitors are offerings from 2 of the low cost 3, GM and Ford. Either way I’d take the Chevy at a lower cost than all of them, lol we’ll never agree,we value different aspects of vehicle ownership.

(Sorry, I meant to quote Quicksilver’s last post) iPhones ain’t my speciality

Last edited by Mcmechanic; 06-11-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmechanic View Post
Actually the new GLS seems like a capable vehicle in this class, According to the online reviews. But more impressive to me is it’s main competitors are offerings from 2 of the low cost 3, GM and Ford. Either way I’d take the Chevy at a lower cost than all of them, lol we’ll never agree,we value different aspects of vehicle ownership.

(Sorry, I meant to quote Quicksilver’s last post) iPhones ain’t my speciality
And that's fair enough. Hence the variety of vehicles out there to choose from. I'm not even a fan of SUVs. Always been a german sport sedan guy. Nevertheless, good to chat with fellow car enthusiasts.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:56 AM

we’ll never agree,we value different aspects of vehicle ownership.
[/QUOTE]

My line to my sister about our vehicle choices is "I like to drive - you simply hate walking."
Old 06-13-2019, 11:49 PM

For a daily commuter, I prefer hanging from a bungee cord supported by clouds. When I want to “carve canyons “and pretend I am an F1 driver, I’ll use my hobby car on the weekends that I personally built ( and is appreciating in value) with coilovers, large sway bars, and sparco seats.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown01 View Post
we’ll never agree,we value different aspects of vehicle ownership.
My line to my sister about our vehicle choices is "I like to drive - you simply hate walking."[/QUOTE]

Tbh I like to drive to, when I can actually drive. But 99% of the “driving” I have to do sucks ass.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
Tbh I like to drive to, when I can actually drive. But 99% of the “driving” I have to do sucks ass.
QFT. I had a Mustang for a while, and people always look at me funny when I say that I detested it, because there's no place to actually drive it. It wasn't a good daily driver, because it's low to the ground and uncomfortable to get in and out of, and you feel every expansion joint in the concrete because it's not meant to be plush. I suppose it would be an awesome second car for weekends or something, but I can't afford to keep an extra toy around.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmechanic View Post
When I want to “carve canyons “and pretend I am an F1 driver, I’ll use my hobby car on the weekends that I personally built ( and is appreciating in value) with coilovers, large sway bars, and sparco seats.
Really? That's all you're going to say about it? C'mon with the PICS man!
Old 06-14-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I've never owned one, but I've heard that older Mercedes, particularly ones from after the early-1990s or so, often develop electrical problems. Is this anything you've experienced with yours?
On occasion the SRS (Static Restraint System, meaning seat belt) warning light and those next to it (can't recall which they are) all flash on for a few seconds and then go off. Maybe an intermittent computer fault. Never shows up as a ODB code.

Driver seat Forward/Back switch is stuck - too lazy to fix as the seat's in a good spot.

All the engine, environmental and lighting electronics are fine - air con is flawless and cruise control is rock-solid.

On long highway trips will get 22-23 MPG so it's not bad for a 4600 lb car.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Really? That's all you're going to say about it? C'mon with the PICS man!
I’m just a little too paranoid to share pics. On the internet. Yeah, I know it’s old fashioned. But good to know a fellow enthusiast on the site!
Old 06-15-2019, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliam View Post
On occasion the SRS (Static Restraint System, meaning seat belt)
Oooooh so that's what it was! Thank you! Where do I send the chocolate?

A couple of times we got rentals that had a little "SRS" red light on the dash that would come up now and then, but we didn't know what it was, we didn't have the manual (since it was a rental and those rarely include the manual) and the guys at the rental place just gave the standard and so-expressive response "it's nothing, don't worry about it".