View Poll Results: Which side of the political spectrum is better than the other in your honest opinion?
the left (liberals) 72 84.71%
the right (conservatives) 13 15.29%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2019, 03:22 PM

Which side of the political spectrum is better than the other in your honest opinion?

Which side of the political spectrum is better than the other in your honest opinion?
Old 06-07-2019, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Gosh, I'm on pins and needles to see how the poll turns out.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 06-07-2019, 03:28 PM

Cancer or a stroke? Tough call. I'll get back to you.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:38 PM

Left and liberal are not synonymous.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
This.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:46 PM

Liberal or left; which as said aren't the same thing.

This is more "common cold versus weaponized smallpox", not stroke versus cancer. The Right is about as purely a force for evil as it is possible to be.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:49 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Oh, yeah. This will turn out well.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:34 PM

Too vague a poll.

The "right" generally dresses better, but I'm not sure that's what the OP was asking.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:36 PM

I wonder what the OP was trying to accomplish with this poll? Something besides demonstrating yet again how overwhelmingly left-leaning the SDMB is?
Old 06-07-2019, 06:36 PM

Only question here is whether it will be a poll majority of 70% or 80%.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Only question here is whether it will be a poll majority of 70% or 80%.
That low?
Old 06-07-2019, 10:16 PM

"giant douche" or "turd sandwich".
Old 06-07-2019, 10:19 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Gosh, I'm on pins and needles to see how the poll turns out.

Regards,
Shodan
Hahaha hahaha

Ps

Hahahahaha
Old 06-07-2019, 11:35 PM
Charter Member

Well, one side is comprised of self-serving scum that has no interest in anything other than acquiring and keeping power, while enriching themselves and their social group.

The other side is even worse.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:56 PM

The current "Right" is not conservative.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
"giant douche" or "turd sandwich".
Lol. You win the thread.

/Cartman.

Last edited by Grrr!; 06-08-2019 at 05:21 AM.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:26 AM
Friend of Cecil

Better at what? Fuck ‘m both, in any case.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

One side believes in equality for all groups, and the other side believes that power should only be where it traditionally has been for centuries, in the hands of the wealthy, straight white Christian man "because God says so."
Old 06-08-2019, 09:37 AM

From a European point of view, the US has a right-of-centre party and an extreme right-wing party.

Bring on Universal Health Care!
Old 06-08-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post
From a European point of view, the US has a right-of-centre party and an extreme right-wing party.

Loosely quoted from memory “In England we have two parties. The Labour Party, which you would call ‘Communist,’ and the Conservative Party, which you would also call ‘Communist.’
Old 06-08-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Yup. Not answering as the poll itself with only those two options.

That said I find more evil by far in the Far Right than the Far Left. Hate is more often contained on the extreme Right than on the extreme Left. The extreme Left is more often just misguided and mistaken (IMHO.) But hate resides there too, as in all extremist positions.

Middle of the road more one way or the other I agree more with the left than the right but "better"? Too odd of a word for a poll answer.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:

That's my US point of view as well.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
Yup. Not answering as the poll itself with only those two options.

That said I find more evil by far in the Far Right than the Far Left. Hate is more often contained on the extreme Right than on the extreme Left. The extreme Left is more often just misguided and mistaken (IMHO.) But hate resides there too, as in all extremist positions.

Middle of the road more one way or the other I agree more with the left than the right but "better"? Too odd of a word for a poll answer.
That's it. When you account for the results instead of just looking at the intentions the choice is much harder, even though I agree the far right is more evil than the far left. The left is ineffective and often stupidly driving voters to the right as a result.

Last edited by TriPolar; 06-08-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Liberals are better.

But Radicals are every bit as bad as Reactionaries. The extremes are equally bad.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:18 PM

Until recent events I would have agreed that there is bad in both camps, although I certainly lean left. Now that the right has genuflected before agent orange, I cannot see anything so evil on the left. Yes, there are left wing kooks, but minor and not nearly as self-serving.

I am reading a wonderful book, "Democracy and Dictatorship" by Sheri Berman. Essentially European (and eventually American) history from the 18th century on. Over and over, the democratizing forces have shot themselves in the foot by a failure to reach a reasonable compromise (cf. the 2016 election, where too many Bernie supporters sat it out), leaving the right in charge.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:37 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:

Pretty much. Our political spectrum runs from far right (republicans) to center left (progressives). We don't have a far left (communists).
Old 06-08-2019, 05:37 PM

The polling data seems quite different here pre-Trump and post-Trump.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:25 PM

I find the democratic party, at least their leadership, to be stupid, pig-headed and arrogant, but, by their own admission, the republicans want me to die*, so i consider myself an anti-republican.

* as I have said many times before, if it weren't for Medicare, i'd have been dead 3 years ago. The republicans have made it perfectly clear that they want desperately to terminate medicare and pretty much any and all 'social' programs that don't benefit rich people and corporations.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:46 PM

Next up in polls that totally won't cause angry shouting: "Name your five favorite human races - in order."
Old 06-10-2019, 07:49 AM

I have to pick the left because (generalizing) that platform seems more people/society-centric.
The right seems more individual person-centric or at best tribal-centric.

I think that had its place when European people were first settling the US.
But as a society grows, it has to be more co-operative in order to survive; it has to care about all its constituents, not just the "strong".

You prefer being a "nomad"? I guess it would be a smart thing to move to a relatively empty western state and get a big property and claim you need nothing from no one.
-IQ
Old 06-10-2019, 07:59 AM

Looking at American politics today, the politics of left vs right appears to have largely consolidated into good vs evil.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:04 AM

"Better"? That's a weird way of asking which way people lean. Now if you'd have been specific I might have bothered voting, but this is just weird.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:12 AM

I don't think even the right believes that its own policies will make a better America. But if someone wants to write a few graphs explaining otherwise, I'll read them.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:17 AM

Harvested from Usenet many, many years ago (i.e. I am not the author and don't know who was):

How To Tell Conservatives From Liberals:

Liberals buy most of the books that have been banned somewhere.
Conservatives form censorship committees and read them as a group.

Liberals give their worn out clothes to those less fortunate.
Conservatives wear theirs.

Liberals name their children after currently popular sports figures, politicians, and entertainers.
Conservative children are named after their parents or grandparents, according to where the money is.

Conservatives tend to keep their shades drawn, although there is seldom any reason why they should.
Liberals ought to, but don't.

Conservative boys date Liberal girls. They plan to marry Conservative girls, but feel that they're entitled to a little fun first.

Liberals make plans and then do something else.
Conservatives follow the plans their grandfathers made.

Conservatives sleep in twin beds--some even in separate rooms.
That is why there are more Liberals.

==========

Politics: It all really just boils down to this:

Criminals:
Liberals: Give them a second chance.
Conservatives: Give them the swift sword of death.

The poor:
Liberals: Give them some food.

Endangered species:
Liberals: Give them protection.

Dictators:
Liberals: Give them a way out.

The uninsured:
Liberals: Give them health care.

*The cost:
Liberals: $9,000,000,000,000,000,000
Conservatives: $29.95 (cost of one sword)
Old 06-10-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
I don't think even the right believes that its own policies will make a better America. But if someone wants to write a few graphs explaining otherwise, I'll read them.
From the Trump supporters I talk to on FB, they most definitely do believe the political right's policies will make a better America. They adamantly hold, with true sincerity, that things like deporting illegal immigrants, cutting taxes, traditional marriage, religious freedom, supporting 2nd-Amend rights, appointing conservative Supreme Court justices, opposing abortion, etc. will make for a stronger economy, lower crime, and better moral fabric.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
This Gallup poll is now a couple of years old, but it lists some issues that the American public thinks Republicans (and presumably this includes their policies) "would do a better job of dealing with":
  • National defense and the military
  • Federal government debt
  • Terrorism
  • Illegal immigration
  • Gun policy
  • The size and power of the federal government
  • The economy (very slight edge)
Old 06-10-2019, 10:50 AM

I'm mostly conservative but I voted Liberal. What the conservative politicians actually do doesn't align with most of my beliefs. The Liberals are somewhat better in adhering to their principals at least.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
This Gallup poll is now a couple of years old, but it lists some issues that the American public thinks Republicans (and presumably this includes their policies) "would do a better job of dealing with":
  • Terrorism
  • Illegal immigration
  • Gun policy
Interesting list. Obviously what party one trusts to make the best policies concerning illegal immigration, gun policy, or the size and power of the federal government depends on what one sees as the problem in each case.

But on the other four, they're simply wrong, though it's hardly their fault. The MSM bought into the notion of the GOP being the 'daddy party' an age ago, the one that knew how to deal with budgets at home, and threats in the world.

That of course is bullshit. The Dems have been the true party of fiscal responsibility ever since freakin' Jimmy Carter, while the Republicans cut taxes for the rich every chance they get. The economy consistently does better under Democrats, and of course Democrats are at least going to try to make sure that working people get some of the benefits of that.

National defense and the military? Let's compare: Clinton was responsible for a largely successful intervention in the Balkans, and negotiated the Agreed Framework with North Korea that kept them from developing nuclear weapons. Bush got us into one war in Afghanistan where we should have been in and out, but we're still there nearly 2 decades later - and another war in Iraq that was a fucking disaster. He also abandoned the Agreed Framework (appeasement, you know?) so NK got nukes. Obama got Iran to give up their nuclear weapons program and agree to rigorous inspections. Trump ditched that agreement, and kissed up to Kim Jong Un.

You've got to go back to Desert Storm - 28 years ago! - to get back to the time when the Republicans were better at this defense/military stuff. Ever since, the Dems have known what they were doing, and the GOP has been the party of fuckups.

Terrorism? Ha! How many of those PDBs did Dubya ignore? The infamous August 6, 2001 PDB was, IIRC, the sixth in a series of increasingly hair-on-fire warnings from the intelligence community to Dubya, and he ignored them all. And so the towers fell.

And afterwards, he only briefly let the hunt for bin Laden be a priority, because he had other fish to fry in Iraq. So this guy who killed 3000 Americans got away for the rest of Bush's Presidency. And of course the mess he made of Iraq basically destabilized that part of the Middle East, paving the way for ISIS.

It's thanks to Obama that bin Laden sleeps with the fishes, and it's also under Obama that ISIS had its 'caliphate' taken away.

Quite simply, the GOP is the party of fuckups. They fuck up fiscal responsibility and the economy, and they fuck up defense and our response to terrorism. They didn't used to be that way, but that's what they've become. They elect fuckup Presidents, and then stand foursquare behind them, no matter how much they fuck up in office.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
  • Terrorism
  • Illegal immigration
  • Gun policy
The public is wrong about all of that. Republicans have clearly demonstrated that they don't know what the fuck they're doing when they try to govern (or lead) and don't really care about doing so anyway.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Interesting list. Obviously what party one trusts to make the best policies concerning illegal immigration, gun policy, or the size and power of the federal government depends on what one sees as the problem in each case.

But on the other four, they're simply wrong, though it's hardly their fault. The MSM bought into the notion of the GOP being the 'daddy party' an age ago, the one that knew how to deal with budgets at home, and threats in the world.

Quote:
The public is wrong about all of that. ...
You're both obviously entitled to your opinions about the matter. I was simply providing an answer to the earlier question about whether "the right believes that its own policies will make a better America." The country as a whole believes that, at least in certain policy arenas, and obviously the right does as well.

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 06-10-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

The problem with questions like this is that they consider politics as a single continuum, left-to-right. However, there's a second dimension of politics that needs be looked at as well: authoritarian-to-libertarian. That is, how much is the government all up in your shit? Ergo, politics should be looked at as a square, not as a line.*

I would say that the USA is, in general, quite conservative compared to the rest of the world, but in terms of the government being up in yo business, it's downright libertarian compared to even the most progressive and liberal democracies on Earth.

South Korea, for example, has Universal Health Care. They also allow their cops to arrest tourists for what they do at home (several countries do this, actually).

Germany, similarly, brings a lot to the table that American leftists and socialists may admire, and bully for them. But home schooling is absolutely NOT ALLOWED in Germany, at all, full stop. Very few American leftists want to see home schooling banned whole cloth (although some do).

France? The textbook definition of European "socialism." And also has prisons that make those of the US look like Club Med. And cops that will lock you the fuck up for filming them (OK, the US has that too, but at least some courts will come down hard on those cops if the case winds up before them).

So on-balance, the "ideal" spot on the left-right continuum must also match the "ideal" spot on the authoritarian-libertarian continuum. Unfortunately, the further you get to one side or the other on the left-right continuum, the further you're going to move towards "authoritarian" on the authoritarian-libertarian continuum.

*I suppose in some ways, perhaps politics should be looked at as a cube, with a third dimension to consider: the rights, privileges, respect, and words like that, given to immigrants and/or minorities. The USA is all over the place on that.

Last edited by HeyHomie; 06-10-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You're both obviously entitled to your opinions about the matter. I was simply providing an answer to the earlier question about whether "the right believes that its own policies will make a better America." The country as a whole believes that, at least in certain policy arenas, and obviously the right does as well.
Tru dat, you did just answer the question.

Anyhow, the right believes in a lot of bullshit. Such is life.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:52 PM

Too vague, not voting. Currently, I am considered liberal, commie scum. Without having changed my views from my former right-wing (you know, fiscally conservative, but not socially so much) upbringing. Meh.