Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-17-2019, 04:28 AM
Ale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 5,219

Andalusia, looking for suggestions.


Next April I'm traveling to Spain with my GF, the plan is, meet in Madrid (I'll be coming back from my hometown in Uruguay, she'll be coming from Bangkok), perhaps spend a day there resting and then head down South to Andalusia for a grand total of twelve days.

We want to visit three cities, at least, Cordoba, Granada and Sevilla, which can be done by train but I edging towards renting a car. A friend of mine warned me that while driving is OK parking is not, but that's based on his experience going to Barcelona so I don't know if it's applicable. The area between the cities we plan to hit seems to have many interesting places to stop along the way (or a bit out of the way FWIW), La Mancha, the Sierra Nevada and Sierra Morena mountains, the Mediterranean coast is about one hour away from Granada.
If we drive I'm thinking perhaps we could go South West from Madrid, stop in Merida then South to Sevilla. From there mostly Eastwards to Cordoba and Granada and then head up North with a stop at Toledo before Madrid. What I'm wondering is if it's worth it to drive or is it better to go by train for all this, suggestions?
  #2  
Old 02-17-2019, 06:24 AM
Ramira's Avatar
Ramira is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,744
As I am frequently visting since 15 years the side of my family that resides in the Andalucia region:
  • Barcelona is as similar to the large cities of the Andalucia region, so yes parking is like most European central cities limited, although if you are budgeting to put your car in a car park, walk, it is not a problem
  • the RENFE high speed rail is a comfortable and fast way to get from Madrid to Seville or Corduba and avoiding a boring drive along the autoroute
  • the autocar network for the intercity buses is comfortable and high standard, so a quite reasonable choice for the displacements between the major cities
  • the rental car is most useful for the flexability for the rural / mountain town visits, could be rented for specific segments perhaps only - might be more cost effective if there is any cost concerns.
  #3  
Old 02-17-2019, 09:51 AM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 41,873
+1 to what Ramira said: the Madrid-Córdoba-Seville AVEs are considered week-commuter trains and, when going from one station to the next in the line, day-commute trains. Very convenient.

I would suggest taking the train for a day or two in Toledo (commuter train), return to Madrid and take the AVE to Córdoba, do Córdoba, train again to Seville, and then rent a car to head east from Seville. For Granada, remember that you need to book the Alhambra in advance.

If you take the say trip to Medina Azahara from Córdoba, you can buy water right outside. April is likely to have highs over 30ºC already both in Córdoba and Seville; watch out because it could hit 36+. Granada isn't so hot, temperature-wise.

La Mancha isn't a town, it's a whole region, so saying you want to see it is kind of... fuzzy. What do you want to see there, aside from Toledo? Ciudad Real, the windmills route...?
__________________
Evidence gathered through the use of science is easily dismissed through the use of idiocy. - Czarcasm.

Last edited by Nava; 02-17-2019 at 09:55 AM.
  #4  
Old 02-17-2019, 10:09 AM
Chefguy's Avatar
Chefguy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 41,943
Don't miss Ronda, a beautiful mountain town in the Malaga district, perched over a dramatic gorge that is spanned by a stone bridge.
  #5  
Old 02-17-2019, 10:52 AM
Maastricht is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Dutch in the Netherlands
Posts: 9,241
My ex MIL lives in Sevilla.

Recommendations:

Roman archeological site Italica. http://www.andalucia.com/cities/seville/italica.htm

Weird red river Rio Tinto, especially the source. http://andaluciadiary.com/rio-tinto-river-huelva/

Easter in Sevilla Feria D abril, they call it. Here's a little clip I made last time we were there, of families with kids leaving the festival park at dusk. All the dresses! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45stve8PGvE

The cathedral and the palace Alcazar in Sevilla. Alcazar and Italica were sites where Game of Thrones was filmed.
__________________
--------------------------------------
"There's a support group for that, it's called everybody and they meet at the bar."
  #6  
Old 02-17-2019, 10:58 AM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 41,873
Feria de Abril; April's Fair. Originally a horse fair, the casetas (the tents) are divided into private (invitation only) and public. There are also fairgrounds attractions (Ferris wheel, teacups, stuff like that). Easter and the Feria are completely different celebrations, they should never take place at the same time, the Feria usually being held after Easter. Aaaaaand I just checked, and this year the Fair will be in May. May 4th to 11th. What can I say, the name isn't expected to necessarily be accurate.

Don't drink the water from the Río Tinto: it's that color because of the amount of heavy metals, including mercury.
__________________
Evidence gathered through the use of science is easily dismissed through the use of idiocy. - Czarcasm.

Last edited by Nava; 02-17-2019 at 11:01 AM.
  #7  
Old 02-17-2019, 11:06 AM
Maastricht is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Dutch in the Netherlands
Posts: 9,241
A few more things:

The place Columbus first left for the America's: http://www.andalucia.com/cities/huelva/columbus.htm

The village of Jerez ( all sand and a few tavernas with horse stands in front. It's basically a sandy village, like a old Western village but then spread out over a wider area. It only comes alive during the annual horse festival. But to American eyes it is "just a western town". To European eyes, it is WEIRD. https://www.spain.info/en/reportajes...l_caballo.html

The salty marsh river delta's. Lots of storks and crabs. And restaurants. http://www.andalucia.com/environment/marshes.htm

And the Klu Klux Klan costumes of the various catholic brotherhoods, worn during the solemns church processions in the Easter Festival of Sevilla. They're the originals, the KKK stole their costume. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capirote
__________________
--------------------------------------
"There's a support group for that, it's called everybody and they meet at the bar."
  #8  
Old 02-17-2019, 11:11 AM
Maastricht is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Dutch in the Netherlands
Posts: 9,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Don't drink the water from the Río Tinto: it's that color because of the amount of heavy metals, including mercury.
Absolutely ! The water, especially near the source, is so heavily contaminated with an astonishing array of metal salts that NASA even studied bacterial life in the source to see how extraterestial life might do under those circumstances. The big river just has a reddish hue, but the little streams inland are blood red and run in sulphurous yellow banks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_Tinto_(river)
__________________
--------------------------------------
"There's a support group for that, it's called everybody and they meet at the bar."
  #9  
Old 02-17-2019, 11:13 AM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 41,873
Capirotes are worn all through Spain and Portugal. And kindly refrain from putting them in the same sentence with the KKK.

Jerez de la Frontera is European. So's Jerez de los Caballeros (also worth a visit but not so much from someone coming from the other end of the globe), but the one with the famous horses and the sherry is the one de la Frontera.
  #10  
Old 02-17-2019, 11:54 AM
Treppenwitz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 743
Been to Granada and Seville on separate city breaks in the last few months.

Yes you do need to book the Alhambra (Granada) in advance. We were told it has to be via the website. We turned up on spec, and Trep jr was able to book on the spot via smartphone; we had to wait an hour or so but we got in same day. It was November, and we got lucky. Other stuff they don't tell you: You can't take bags into the cathedral in Granada, and there wasn't any way to check them into a cloakroom either. Lesser known site: San Juan de Dios is extraordinary and the tour takes you everywhere for (if I remember correctly) four Euro. A must if you like extreme bling churches and lots of bits of saints.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac...Andalucia.html

You may not have to book the Alcazar or catherdral (Seville) in the same way as the Alhambra, but you'll struggle to get in if you don't. Re the latter - there appear to be non-official sites where you can book a ticket (well, a barcode you can print out or have on your phone, which gets scanned on entry), but you'll be charged an additional "booking fee" by the unofficial sites, so be careful.

Here's a cultural difference between the two cities (and maybe Nava or Ramira can explain the why). It you want tapas in Seville, you go to a bar and order them (as you might expect). If you go to a bar in Granada and order a drink, they'll bring you a tapa. If you order another drink they'll bring you another, bigger tapa. We had an evening of disastrous overeating before we figured this out.

j

PS: Ramira/Nava - Cordoba is next up - what's the routine there?

Last edited by Treppenwitz; 02-17-2019 at 11:58 AM.
  #11  
Old 02-17-2019, 01:48 PM
Eva Luna is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Chicago-ish, IL
Posts: 10,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Don't miss Ronda, a beautiful mountain town in the Malaga district, perched over a dramatic gorge that is spanned by a stone bridge.
Speaking as a flat lander, driving in Ronda or anywhere in the mountains is not for the faint of heart, especially in the dark or bad weather.
  #12  
Old 02-17-2019, 03:09 PM
Chefguy's Avatar
Chefguy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 41,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Luna View Post
Speaking as a flat lander, driving in Ronda or anywhere in the mountains is not for the faint of heart, especially in the dark or bad weather.
We drove to it from the south coast and it was quite a climb up the mountain in the POS were were driving. Two other guys and I took a two day trip from Rota across Andalucia to Granada, then down to spend the night in Torremolinos, then back through Ronda to connect to our original route. Loved the small, whitewashed towns perched on the hillsides. That was in about 1981.
  #13  
Old 02-17-2019, 03:29 PM
Southern Yankee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In a country of hope...
Posts: 4,855
I don't believe this has been mentioned yet, but Carmona is a nice visit, not far from Sevilla. We stayed in the parador there and it was a great experience.

ETA: I believe you would need a car for this side trip.

Last edited by Southern Yankee; 02-17-2019 at 03:30 PM.
  #14  
Old 02-17-2019, 11:35 PM
Ale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 5,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramira View Post
As I am frequently visting since 15 years the side of my family that resides in the Andalucia region:
  • Barcelona is as similar to the large cities of the Andalucia region, so yes parking is like most European central cities limited, although if you are budgeting to put your car in a car park, walk, it is not a problem
  • the RENFE high speed rail is a comfortable and fast way to get from Madrid to Seville or Corduba and avoiding a boring drive along the autoroute
  • the autocar network for the intercity buses is comfortable and high standard, so a quite reasonable choice for the displacements between the major cities
  • the rental car is most useful for the flexability for the rural / mountain town visits, could be rented for specific segments perhaps only - might be more cost effective if there is any cost concerns.
We were making plans last night and, so far, decided to go by train from Madrid to Cordoba and rent a car there. Which was a reminder for me to learn to drive manual because it's twice as expensive to rent an automatic... ouch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
+1 to what Ramira said: the Madrid-Córdoba-Seville AVEs are considered week-commuter trains and, when going from one station to the next in the line, day-commute trains. Very convenient.

I would suggest taking the train for a day or two in Toledo (commuter train), return to Madrid and take the AVE to Córdoba, do Córdoba, train again to Seville, and then rent a car to head east from Seville. For Granada, remember that you need to book the Alhambra in advance.

If you take the say trip to Medina Azahara from Córdoba, you can buy water right outside. April is likely to have highs over 30ºC already both in Córdoba and Seville; watch out because it could hit 36+. Granada isn't so hot, temperature-wise.

La Mancha isn't a town, it's a whole region, so saying you want to see it is kind of... fuzzy. What do you want to see there, aside from Toledo? Ciudad Real, the windmills route...?
Yes, we found out there's no way to go from Toledo to Cordoba directly, not even buses (WTF?), we were planning to stay a couple nights in Toledo but it looks like we'll stay in Madrid and go to Toledo for a day trip instead, including an extra leg to go to Consuegra to see the castle and windmills there, does that sound feasible?

How far in advance do we need to book the Alhambra?

Temperature wise 30-36C is the everyday of the year norm where I live, so no problems there.

For La Mancha I was thinking of windmills, yes. One idea is like I said, to go to Consuegra as part of a day trip from Madrid to Toledo and the other would be to travel from Cordoba by car, Ciudad Real and beyond. On the map it's a two hour drive to Consuegra and the other similar tows from Cordoba, so doesn't look too bad.
  #15  
Old 02-17-2019, 11:47 PM
Ale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 5,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Don't miss Ronda, a beautiful mountain town in the Malaga district, perched over a dramatic gorge that is spanned by a stone bridge.
Yes, Ronda is in the list of places to drive to from Seville. How's the parking situation there, do you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maastricht View Post
My ex MIL lives in Sevilla.

Recommendations:

Roman archeological site Italica. http://www.andalucia.com/cities/seville/italica.htm

Weird red river Rio Tinto, especially the source. http://andaluciadiary.com/rio-tinto-river-huelva/

Easter in Sevilla Feria D abril, they call it. Here's a little clip I made last time we were there, of families with kids leaving the festival park at dusk. All the dresses! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45stve8PGvE

The cathedral and the palace Alcazar in Sevilla. Alcazar and Italica were sites where Game of Thrones was filmed.

For Roman ruins I wanted to go to Merida, but seems too much out of the way, so we may settle for Italica.
Rio Tinto looks good, I mean, besides being an ecological disaster zone it looks good, do they allow people to walk around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Feria de Abril; April's Fair. Originally a horse fair, the casetas (the tents) are divided into private (invitation only) and public. There are also fairgrounds attractions (Ferris wheel, teacups, stuff like that). Easter and the Feria are completely different celebrations, they should never take place at the same time, the Feria usually being held after Easter. Aaaaaand I just checked, and this year the Fair will be in May. May 4th to 11th. What can I say, the name isn't expected to necessarily be accurate.

Don't drink the water from the Río Tinto: it's that color because of the amount of heavy metals, including mercury.
We arrive to Madrid on the 11th, probably get to Cordoba by the 14th or 15th so we'll probably miss all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
Been to Granada and Seville on separate city breaks in the last few months.

Yes you do need to book the Alhambra (Granada) in advance. We were told it has to be via the website. We turned up on spec, and Trep jr was able to book on the spot via smartphone; we had to wait an hour or so but we got in same day. It was November, and we got lucky. Other stuff they don't tell you: You can't take bags into the cathedral in Granada, and there wasn't any way to check them into a cloakroom either. Lesser known site: San Juan de Dios is extraordinary and the tour takes you everywhere for (if I remember correctly) four Euro. A must if you like extreme bling churches and lots of bits of saints.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac...Andalucia.html

You may not have to book the Alcazar or catherdral (Seville) in the same way as the Alhambra, but you'll struggle to get in if you don't. Re the latter - there appear to be non-official sites where you can book a ticket (well, a barcode you can print out or have on your phone, which gets scanned on entry), but you'll be charged an additional "booking fee" by the unofficial sites, so be careful.

Here's a cultural difference between the two cities (and maybe Nava or Ramira can explain the why). It you want tapas in Seville, you go to a bar and order them (as you might expect). If you go to a bar in Granada and order a drink, they'll bring you a tapa. If you order another drink they'll bring you another, bigger tapa. We had an evening of disastrous overeating before we figured this out.

j

PS: Ramira/Nava - Cordoba is next up - what's the routine there?
That's good information, thank you.
When you say no bags you mean absolutely no bags at all, i.e. my GF purse, camera bag, or things like backpacks and the like?
Reminds me one time in New Dehli, can't remember the name of the place but they didn't allow bags, cameras, phones or, and very specifically, USB flashdrives.

About Seville Cathedral, is it because they limit the number of people that can enter?
  #16  
Old 02-17-2019, 11:59 PM
Ale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 5,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Luna View Post
Speaking as a flat lander, driving in Ronda or anywhere in the mountains is not for the faint of heart, especially in the dark or bad weather.
A couple years ago we went to Crete, online I read many people saying how scary the roads there where, but in the end driving around was what I enjoyed the most on the island. I quite like dramatic landscapes so I don't mind the kind of roads that get one there.
  #17  
Old 02-18-2019, 01:47 AM
Ramira's Avatar
Ramira is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
We were making plans last night and, so far, decided to go by train from Madrid to Cordoba and rent a car there. Which was a reminder for me to learn to drive manual because it's twice as expensive to rent an automatic... ouch.
If you are to drive in the mountains, and are just learning the manual, maybe not the best approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
Yes, Ronda is in the list of places to drive to from Seville. How's the parking situation there, do you know?
It is a small town perched on an outcrop, much of it built in the 17-19 centuries and before. Parking laughs at you.
But again if you budget for putting your car in one of the modern underground parkings on the edge of the "old town", and either walk or take the carriages in, it is not a problem. this is the same advice for all of Andalucia.

Trying to street park is an annoying waste of time anywhere near the old cities. It has been a while since I have driven around, as I decided that autocars and Pidataxi the taxi app of the Spanish radiotaxi assocation (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pidetaxi&hl=en) are less annoying than trying to park. I think perhaps 5 hours in the parkings is EUR 15 or something like that...but Nava knows better, I have not driven in Andalucia is a long time as I find driving annoying.
  #18  
Old 02-18-2019, 02:51 AM
SanVito is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 4,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramira View Post
If you are to drive in the mountains, and are just learning the manual, maybe not the best approach.
Agreed. I drive manual at home, but even I stump up for an automatic when driving somewhere like this - takes a hell of a lot of pressure out of the process. The memory of that drive to Ronda still gives me vertigo.
  #19  
Old 02-18-2019, 03:01 AM
Spoons is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 17,013
I was in southern Spain years ago, staying in Benalmadena-Costa. One day, a few of us went to Mijas. We could get public transit only so far, then we took a taxi to Mijas.

In Mijas, we bought some wine, some cheese, some bread, and some cold cuts. We climbed up on the trails above Mijas, to the quarries, and had a memorable picnic. Beautiful views of the sea far below, and a beautiful blue, sunshiny sky, accompanied by excellent food and wine. I'll never forget that day.

Something to think about?
  #20  
Old 02-18-2019, 03:44 AM
Treppenwitz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
When you say no bags you mean absolutely no bags at all, i.e. my GF purse, camera bag, or things like backpacks and the like?
Reminds me one time in New Dehli, can't remember the name of the place but they didn't allow bags, cameras, phones or, and very specifically, USB flashdrives.

About Seville Cathedral, is it because they limit the number of people that can enter?
We turned up to the cathedral in Granada with cabin bags (last stop before flying out) and it was a big no-no. I don't know what you would be able to get away with.

Re: Seville cathedral - for tourists (unlike residents and people attending services) it's a ticketed attraction just like the Alcazar. I think it was around ten euro to get in.

j
  #21  
Old 02-18-2019, 05:52 AM
Maastricht is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Dutch in the Netherlands
Posts: 9,241
"For Roman ruins I wanted to go to Merida, but seems too much out of the way, so we may settle for Italica.
Rio Tinto looks good, I mean, besides being an ecological disaster zone it looks good, do they allow people to walk around?"

Settle for Italica ? Ha. You're in for a surprise. Italica is huge and wonderful. I don't know why their PR is so bad that people like you think it is second rate. They probably don't want to let too many know it is such an amazing place. It is the most beautiful and large archeo-site I've ever seen. It's an entire city. AND an amfitheater.

Rio Tinto is an entire region. With many sites. You'd have to do your research to find out where and how to visit.
__________________
--------------------------------------
"There's a support group for that, it's called everybody and they meet at the bar."
  #22  
Old 02-18-2019, 06:20 AM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 41,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
stay in Madrid and go to Toledo for a day trip instead, including an extra leg to go to Consuegra to see the castle and windmills there, does that sound feasible?

How far in advance do we need to book the Alhambra?
Respectively: yes, and yesterday. There are dates for which it's booked within hours of that date being made available; April isn't the highest season but it's popular. You want this site, it's the official one.

For other attractions, look up local Información y Turismo sites. They have the best information on where to book and may be able to sell you tickets in advance.


Maastricht, Italica doesn't have bad PR; it simply doesn't have PR. Mérida does, partly thanks to the theatre festival and partly because the town is famous for other reasons (birthplace of a ridiculous amount of conquistadores).



And Ramira's information is as good as mine, or better; I haven't been to Ronda since it was my Dad at the wheel
__________________
Evidence gathered through the use of science is easily dismissed through the use of idiocy. - Czarcasm.

Last edited by Nava; 02-18-2019 at 06:25 AM.
  #23  
Old 02-18-2019, 06:35 AM
Maastricht is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Dutch in the Netherlands
Posts: 9,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
Agreed. I drive manual at home, but even I stump up for an automatic when driving somewhere like this - takes a hell of a lot of pressure out of the process. The memory of that drive to Ronda still gives me vertigo.
agreed. Ronda was a long drive over narrow winding roads, admittedly with stunning views over an arid mountain landscape. Ronda was a disappointment, only go there if you love driving under those circumstances. IIRC there is also a bigger road to Ronda, because the scenic route was almost empty when we were there.
__________________
--------------------------------------
"There's a support group for that, it's called everybody and they meet at the bar."
  #24  
Old 02-19-2019, 10:36 PM
Ale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 5,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramira View Post
If you are to drive in the mountains, and are just learning the manual, maybe not the best approach.



It is a small town perched on an outcrop, much of it built in the 17-19 centuries and before. Parking laughs at you.
But again if you budget for putting your car in one of the modern underground parkings on the edge of the "old town", and either walk or take the carriages in, it is not a problem. this is the same advice for all of Andalucia.

Trying to street park is an annoying waste of time anywhere near the old cities. It has been a while since I have driven around, as I decided that autocars and Pidataxi the taxi app of the Spanish radiotaxi assocation (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pidetaxi&hl=en) are less annoying than trying to park. I think perhaps 5 hours in the parkings is EUR 15 or something like that...but Nava knows better, I have not driven in Andalucia is a long time as I find driving annoying.
I meant that it was a reminder to learn to drive manual afterwards, we already got an automatic rental for this trip. My GF suggested I learned before going and renting a manual but I said no way.
Last night we booked a hotel in Ronda, it says it has parking so that should solve the problem. The view from the back, over the gorge looking straight ahead to the iconic bridge, looks amazing.

I'll check the Pidataxi thing, we only rent a car for 8 out of 12 days so we may use it elsewhere.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Maastricht View Post
"For Roman ruins I wanted to go to Merida, but seems too much out of the way, so we may settle for Italica.
Rio Tinto looks good, I mean, besides being an ecological disaster zone it looks good, do they allow people to walk around?"

Settle for Italica ? Ha. You're in for a surprise. Italica is huge and wonderful. I don't know why their PR is so bad that people like you think it is second rate. They probably don't want to let too many know it is such an amazing place. It is the most beautiful and large archeo-site I've ever seen. It's an entire city. AND an amfitheater.

Rio Tinto is an entire region. With many sites. You'd have to do your research to find out where and how to visit.
In Merida I wanted to see the ruins of the aqueduct and the Roman bridges (still in use!).
I've already scouted out locations for the Rio Tinto with Google Earth, and we may go there from Seville if we have the time; but most of the other places we want to visit are to the South of the city rather than the West so it may be difficult to fit in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maastricht View Post
agreed. Ronda was a long drive over narrow winding roads, admittedly with stunning views over an arid mountain landscape. Ronda was a disappointment, only go there if you love driving under those circumstances. IIRC there is also a bigger road to Ronda, because the scenic route was almost empty when we were there.
I also used Google Earth to check the routes between cities and towns, the road from Seville down to Ronda looks easy, I suppose that's the new one you referred to?
From Ronda to the South and Southwest the road goes through the mountains and it's much more, let's say adventurous, but that's the way I like it so it's a plus for me. I've already picked some places to stop along the way and if my GF is in the mood we'll do some short hiking up the mountains from the roadside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Respectively: yes, and yesterday. There are dates for which it's booked within hours of that date being made available; April isn't the highest season but it's popular. You want this site, it's the official one.

For other attractions, look up local Información y Turismo sites. They have the best information on where to book and may be able to sell you tickets in advance.
I didn't know it was as bad as that to go to the Alhambra, thanks for the heads up, I'll book the tickets tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
I was in southern Spain years ago, staying in Benalmadena-Costa. One day, a few of us went to Mijas. We could get public transit only so far, then we took a taxi to Mijas.

In Mijas, we bought some wine, some cheese, some bread, and some cold cuts. We climbed up on the trails above Mijas, to the quarries, and had a memorable picnic. Beautiful views of the sea far below, and a beautiful blue, sunshiny sky, accompanied by excellent food and wine. I'll never forget that day.

Something to think about?
As the plan stands now we'll go to Cordoba by train, pick up the car there and do a round trip from Cordoba to Seville, Ronda, Granada and back to Cordoba. From Ronda to Granada I'd like to go South over the mountains, then East along the coast where we should pass by Mijas so we may stop there, thanks for the tip.
  #25  
Old 02-20-2019, 12:58 AM
Maastricht is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Dutch in the Netherlands
Posts: 9,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
I've already picked some places to stop along the way and if my GF is in the mood we'll do some short hiking up the mountains
IIRC... you can’t.

Nava should correct me if I’m wrong but I thought the same thing and was surprised and disappointed that’s there are hardly any accessible roads or paths radiating from Spanish main roads in that area. It’s all private properties along the road, and all fenced in from the road. The only roads branching off the main road are private roads ( with gates) serving only that paricular estate, and not leading anywhere else. There is no such thing as hikable roads or paths branching off the main road. If it is not indicated as a hiking route, you can’t hike on it. You ca’t even park well along the road.
__________________
--------------------------------------
"There's a support group for that, it's called everybody and they meet at the bar."
  #26  
Old 02-20-2019, 01:02 AM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 41,873
Yeah, it's one of the most beautiful mountain roads in Spain but that also means you can only stay on the road. There's the occasional "stop here to take pics" spot and that's about it. Between the deadly landscape and the deadly weather it simply isn't an area where people went walking around much, back when that was the usual means of transportation, so there isn't the kind of rural pathways and open forests you find in other places such as the Pyrinees. The Serranía the Ronda is the kind of place where even if there aren't bandits around, the landscape itself is out to get you.
  #27  
Old 02-20-2019, 02:38 AM
Ramira's Avatar
Ramira is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
Last night we booked a hotel in Ronda, it says it has parking so that should solve the problem. The view from the back, over the gorge looking straight ahead to the iconic bridge, looks amazing.
You can hike down into the gorge, from the prominatory side, so you may enjoy that. the spanish side of the family has a hotel here, but it is too expensive, or I would recommend it.
  #28  
Old 02-20-2019, 12:50 PM
Ukulele Ike is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 17,098
I recommend Cadiz. I like OLD cities.

I wish there was some easy way to approach the city by water, which was pretty much the only way to get to it until about a hundred years ago. The road in is damn ugly.

Sanlucar de Barrameda is one of my favorite small cities, very pretty and especially for the seafood and Manzanilla sherry.
__________________
Uke
  #29  
Old 04-12-2019, 03:14 AM
Ale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 5,219
Well, finally in Spain. I first visited my home country for ten days (after 12 years abscence) and yesterday we arrived at Madrid, my girlfriend coming from Thailand and I from Uruguay.
This morning we take the train to Toledo for a couple days there and then we head down to Cordoba. I hope the weather gets warmer there.
  #30  
Old 06-18-2019, 12:31 AM
Ale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 5,219
Yesterday got an email from the car rental company, saying I had a traffic ticket, didn't tell me how much or how to pay for it; the contact e-mail bounced back saying it was no longer active it instead redirected me to a web page for the rental parent company (I think) which also doesn't have any way to contact them to ask how to pay the fine.
Tried the Spanish Transport department page and also couldn't find how to go about paying it, I suppose I have to wait until they get in touch with me via e-mail?

From the date and time of the ticket it must had been when I took a wrong turn at Ronda and ended up in a maze of tiny alleys trying to find a way out. I have to say I didn't find driving in Spain particularly pleasant, I found the signage usually confusing or insufficient, specially because there were many roads blocked due to the Semana Santa holidays, for instance it would happen that I would drive for several blocks on a one way street only to find out that it was blocked and no way to go out except reversing all the way back or getting out through one of the closed streets (as one local told me was the only option).

However I have to say that driving in the countryside, on secondary highways were we could stop by the side of the road, was well worth it; the landscapes were beautiful, specially from Cordoba to Zuheros and the roads thought the mountains from Arcos de la Frontera to Ronda.
  #31  
Old 06-18-2019, 12:53 AM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 41,873
Did the rental company give you a code number? Without that, it's not possible to pay online. If you have it, go to dgt.es and then to ¿Ha recibido una multa de tráfico? then to Pago de multas then to Pago de multas sin certificado digital (choose Pasport on ID type). Digo, en tu caso supongo que el español te vale and I don't trust whomever did the translation further than I can throw them

I've used their "customer satisfaction" poll to ask them 1) to add a "contact us/email" and 2) give them my own email if anybody would like to see that fine paid.

The Spanish government NEVER contacts anybody by email. They ask you for it, but the freaking morons still insist on certified snailmail.
  #32  
Old 06-18-2019, 03:18 AM
Ale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 5,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Did the rental company give you a code number? Without that, it's not possible to pay online. If you have it, go to dgt.es and then to ¿Ha recibido una multa de tráfico? then to Pago de multas then to Pago de multas sin certificado digital (choose Pasport on ID type). Digo, en tu caso supongo que el español te vale and I don't trust whomever did the translation further than I can throw them

I've used their "customer satisfaction" poll to ask them 1) to add a "contact us/email" and 2) give them my own email if anybody would like to see that fine paid.

The Spanish government NEVER contacts anybody by email. They ask you for it, but the freaking morons still insist on certified snailmail.
Thank you, I'll try that when I'm back home. Yes I have the code number, but when I checked the website I didn't find where to use it.
In any case I wanted to check with the rental agency if they had subtracted the fine from the deposit we paid and we haven't received back yet, as far as I know.
  #33  
Old 06-18-2019, 03:45 PM
Sauron is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 4,168
I'm such a southern redneck.

When I read this thread title, my first thought was somebody was going to Andalusia, Alabama -- a small town in the southeast corner of the state, near the Florida state line. I was going to suggest as entertainment the only two things I know about Andalusia:

- It's the hometown of Robert Horry, a retired professional basketball player; maybe you could visit his home
- It's near Opp, Alabama, which is famous for its annual Rattlesnake Rodeo, so … if you like (or detest) rattlesnakes, that could be a thing.

Needless to say, both of these suggestions are without merit, since we're discussing a region in Spain.

So, really, I have no reason to be here.

I'll show myself out.
__________________
Take a look at my book, The Man Rules! smashwords.com/books/view/336678. Dopers get a 40% discount with this coupon code: UQ25Y
Check out my blog! followthemanrules.blogspot.com
  #34  
Old 06-19-2019, 04:09 AM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 41,873
Oh I don't know… I'm sure my Andalusian friends will be thrilled to know there is an Andalusia in Alabama
  #35  
Old 06-19-2019, 04:17 AM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 41,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
Thank you, I'll try that when I'm back home. Yes I have the code number, but when I checked the website I didn't find where to use it.
In any case I wanted to check with the rental agency if they had subtracted the fine from the deposit we paid and we haven't received back yet, as far as I know.
They won't pay for you. That would mean admit guilt on your behalf (which I'm not even sure they can do unless the rental contract specifically allows it) *and* if you were the kind of entitled jackass who racks up fines and complains that "the cops have it for me! I was only doing 150!" "in an 80 curve, dude, your car is still wrapped around that poor tree", you might also be the kind of entitled jackass who takes it upon himself to open a claim at the local Business Bureau for "damages incurred by paying the fine for me, as I totally wasn't guilty and I don't care if that guy in the picture is clearly me". I've known a couple of guys like that, sadly.
  #36  
Old 06-19-2019, 11:27 PM
Ale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 5,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
They won't pay for you. That would mean admit guilt on your behalf (which I'm not even sure they can do unless the rental contract specifically allows it) *and* if you were the kind of entitled jackass who racks up fines and complains that "the cops have it for me! I was only doing 150!" "in an 80 curve, dude, your car is still wrapped around that poor tree", you might also be the kind of entitled jackass who takes it upon himself to open a claim at the local Business Bureau for "damages incurred by paying the fine for me, as I totally wasn't guilty and I don't care if that guy in the picture is clearly me". I've known a couple of guys like that, sadly.
I'll have to check the contract, but I think I already threw away the paper copy, there should be a digital one somewhere.

In any case, I checked the DGT site, found the place to pay the fines but I can get further with it because in addition to the code and date (which I have) they ask to fill out the amount of the fine (which I don't know) so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

From what I've seen online I'm supposed to get a bill mailed to my home address, so I'll wait for that.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017