Old 06-11-2019, 08:03 PM

"You should be ashamed of yourselves"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Stewart
"Shameful. Its an embarrassment to the country, and it is a stain on this institution. And you should be ashamed of yourselves for those that arent here, but you wont be, because accountability doesnt appear to be something that occurs in this chamber.
Jon Stewart's exact words while speaking to the House Judiciary Committee because only a handful of members showed up to a hearing to renew the September 11 Victim Compensation Fund.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:15 PM

The man is right.

Granted, the Judiciary Committee has a lot of irons in the fire. And apparently the attendance issue was due to the choice of venue more than to committee members being absent:

Quote:
... Meanwhile, Tennessee Rep. Steve Cohen supported Stewart’s sentiment but pushed back on his criticism of the committee, noting that the hearing was being held by one of the smaller subcommittees of the House Judiciary and that attendance was actually “pretty good.” The subcommittee, known as the Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties consists of 14 members, of whom only California Rep. Eric Swalwell and Pennsylvania Rep. Guy Reschenthaler were absent according to a spokesman for New York Rep. Jerrold Nadler, the subcommittee chairman.*
https://slate.com/culture/2019/06/jo...-inaction.html

If there were only 14 members in the relevant subcommittee, and 12 of them were present, then the choice of venue was the problem (setting up a terrible visual).

Still, the issue of short-term funding of this clearly long-term issue is a problem that needs solving.

Last edited by Sherrerd; 06-11-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:28 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

This country is so embarrassing and just downright evil in many ways. Its been 18 years.

In other nations even the homeless get health care. Here even first responders do not.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:55 PM

Jon is one of my most favorite people in the world. I admire him greatly. I wish he ran the world.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
The man is right.

Granted, the Judiciary Committee has a lot of irons in the fire. And apparently the attendance issue was due to the choice of venue more than to committee members being absent:

https://slate.com/culture/2019/06/jo...-inaction.html

If there were only 14 members in the relevant subcommittee, and 12 of them were present, then the choice of venue was the problem (setting up a terrible visual).

Still, the issue of short-term funding of this clearly long-term issue is a problem that needs solving.
Well this is interesting; other sources are giving lesser numbers in attendance than yours is. I wonder which news source is correct, or did a bunch come in late?

"A little over half of the 14-member subcommittee members were present, mostly Democrats." according to CBS

The NY Post article lists nine at the hearing, but only eight when he made his remarks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPost
In front of Stewart was ​House ​Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler​ of New York, along with ​Democratic Reps. Steve Cohen​ of Tennessee​, Mary Gay Scanlon​ of Pennsylvania​, Jamie Raskin ​of Maryland ​and the top Republican in the ​Judiciary subcommittee, Rep. Mike Johnson ​of Louisiana.

​Democratic ​Rep. Max Rose ​of Staten Island was seated near the witnesses testifying.

Democrat Rep. Carolyn Maloney, who testified at the hearing alongside Republican Rep. Peter King, sat on the other side of the room.

Rep. Lee Zeldin, another New York Republican, sat through most of the hearing, but missed Stewarts opening digs.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

It’s routine for attendance to vary during the course of s committee hearing. Members come and go to make statements and ask questions. It’s possible that 12 of 14 members made an appearance at some point, but that there were never more than 8 or 9 present at any one time.
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)

Last edited by Acsenray; 06-11-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:43 PM
Sith Mod

I think the fact that a lot of the committee didn't show up is just salt in the wound of having to even argue this in front of a committee in the first place. This should have been a simple, unanimous voice vote. The fact that these people have had to show up in person to argue their case, again, is obscene.

Last edited by Miller; 06-11-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
I think the fact that a lot of the committee didn't show up is just salt in the wound of having to even argue this in front of a committee in the first place. This should have been a simple, unanimous voice vote. The fact that these people have had to show up in person to argue their case, again, is obscene.
This.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:50 PM
Friend of Cecil

My understanding is a number of those absent are supporting or in fact co-sponsored the bill which will rectify this issue. If true, that changes things for me. Committee hearings are routinely minimally attended.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:00 PM

AIUI, House Dems have already written a bill to grant aid to first responders in perpetuity. It will easily pass in the House. It will likely pass in the Senate -- if only it would be called for a vote.

Guess who is blocking that from happening?

McConnell's depravity is bottomless.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:55 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
AIUI, House Dems have already written a bill to grant aid to first responders in perpetuity. It will easily pass in the House. It will likely pass in the Senate -- if only it would be called for a vote.

Guess who is blocking that from happening?

McConnell's depravity is bottomless.
His pathological hypocrisy and dishonesty combined with his behavior make me sincerely believe is a bonafide sociopath.

I hope he loses his primary for being 'too liberal'. Even if he is replaced by another republican, its still better than McConnell.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:47 PM

The 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund would be extended until 2090, passed on a voice vote, with no opposition or dissent. Pelosi pledged that it will pass the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen. Shumer (minutes later)
"As soon as the House passes this bill, it should be on the floor of the Senate immediately as a stand-alone bill," Schumer said. "I am imploring, pleading and even begging to Leader McConnell to put this bill on the floor as soon as it passes the House."