Old 02-14-2019, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

So what was your simple act of kindness today?

A simple act of kindness is one that does not cost you any money or a large amount of time. Just something you do to make someone else's day a little better, and to make youself a better person.

I gave four quarters in change to a person in exchange for a dollar who needed them for the parking meter.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:59 AM

This isn't really a good deed, but I think I made everyone's day a little brighter:

I texted a Happy Valentine's Day message to all of my good friends and family.

And BTW.........Happy Valentine's Day everyone out there!
Old 02-14-2019, 10:07 AM

Gave my cats a good portion of the salmon I'd cooked. Kept some of the best bits for them.

The older one ate it but the 2 younger ones didn't. Fluffy little shits wouldn't have it because I cooked it on the stove. It has to be sous-vide salmon, otherwise it's not up to their standards.

Here they are having a negotiation session about who gets to sit in the box under the sunspot: https://imgur.com/a/0AmB4aP

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 02-14-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Every day while she's at school I send my daughter "Cute Animal of the Day" texts, with pictures of puppies, kittens, horses, cute mammals, and the like.

Today I made sure that all the animals had heart-shaped markings on them. I'm also checking her out of school and taking her to Cracker Barrel (because she loves Cracker Barrel.)

Last edited by JohnT; 02-14-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:22 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

I didnít beat my daughter when she woke me up after three hours of sleep because she couldnít get her paper printed that she procrastinated on. Iím old, she is supposed to be teaching me about technology.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:34 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I haven't left the house or interacted with any people today. Yesterday I picked up a neighbor's recycle bin and put all the recycleables back in it when I noticed it had fallen over and there was trash all in her ditch.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:59 AM

Not me and it actually happened last night but....

I was on the subway when a blind guy asked if anyone was getting off at the next stop. He needed a little help navigating the platform and getting to his destination. No one was getting off. One elderly lady said that she could get off and help the man. She could just catch the next train. The blind man didn't want to be a bother so he said he'd just find someone on the platform to help him. The woman insisted. He continued to decline. I thought of volunteering but I would be in the exact same position as the elderly lady and I assumed that he would refuse my help too. Other people on the train were visibly struggling with the same conundrum. Everyone wanted to help but also to respect his autonomy. One young man on the train rescued us all. He shrugged his shoulders and piped up with a calculated white lie: "I'm getting off at the next stop." Everyone else smiled and nodded at him. He smiled back. The blind man gratefully accepted his help. I'm sure that young man had to get right back on the train when he was done but he certainly did his good deed for the day.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

I pointed out to a friend of mine that a meme he shared on Facebook is fake. I don't think he appreciated it though.

I'll leave it up to you to guess his political affiliation.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
A simple act of kindness is one that does not cost you any money or a large amount of time. Just something you do to make someone else's day a little better, and to make youself a better person.

I gave four quarters in change to a person in exchange for a dollar who needed them for the parking meter.
Not to rain on your parade but a simple act of kindness would have been just giving the dude your four frigging quarters. If making change for a dollar makes you feel like a better person, you're setting a pretty low bar for yourself.

eta: I once went down the street adding a little money to each of the meters. It could have been an act of kindness but really I was just fucking with the meter maid a half block behind me.

Last edited by CarnalK; 02-14-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Not to rain on your parade but a simple act of kindness would have been just giving the dude your four frigging quarters. If making change for a dollar makes you feel like a better person, you're setting a pretty low bar for yourself.

I don't think you understand what "Simple act of kindness" actually means.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post

I certainly understand it better than some guy who thinks criticizing a meme qualifies.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I certainly understand it better than some guy who thinks criticizing a meme qualifies.
I also think you fail to grasp the concept of sarcasm.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the thinking, as wrong as it is.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:31 PM

Not much opportunity 'round here. I did make breakfast for the people (with extra bacon and hash browns), but I do that pretty much every day anyway. Kinda my job.

So, not much.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:37 PM

I've stayed out of a bunch of threads here.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

I helped a neighbor get his car free from the snow and ice where it was stuck - and replaced the battery he had drained.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Some things are neither kind, nor unkind. Some things are just general or routine. If she gave away her four quarters in exchange for nothing, that's "simple kindness". If she refused to make change, even though she had the quarters in her pocket, that would be "unkind" or simple cruelty. The OP had quarters and someone needed a dollar. I've got to agree with CK on this one. It isn't an act of kindness, it is the typical act of a human being. The fact that a person feels the need to brag about making change for a stranger as if it is to be commended, or worse yet, explains how this was her attempt at "being a better person"--presumably better than she normally is... well that's just... peculiar.
Full disclosure, though, I was an asshole all day.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:07 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post

I didn't.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:18 PM

I read to the English as a second language kids at school today. Also I got a cupcake I couldn't eat, so I gave it to the office receptionist. She hugged me, a bit of 'get outta my personal space' ran through my head. But I accepted gracefully. That's personal growth in my book♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
Happy V-day, everyone!!
Old 02-14-2019, 01:26 PM

Sent my daughter $300 for a last-second trip to Mexico.

Had lunch with my best friend.

Sent happy Valentine wishes to two friends.

Going curling in a few hours.

Last edited by Leaffan; 02-14-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno View Post
Some things are neither kind, nor unkind. Some things are just general or routine. If she gave away her four quarters in exchange for nothing, that's "simple kindness". If she refused to make change, even though she had the quarters in her pocket, that would be "unkind" or simple cruelty. The OP had quarters and someone needed a dollar. I've got to agree with CK on this one. It isn't an act of kindness, it is the typical act of a human being. The fact that a person feels the need to brag about making change for a stranger as if it is to be commended, or worse yet, explains how this was her attempt at "being a better person"--presumably better than she normally is... well that's just... peculiar.
Full disclosure, though, I was an asshole all day.
If I need change for a parking meter and you give me change for a dollar, well you just saved me from getting back in my car and having to look for a new place to park or for a store that will change my dollar. You saved me an inconvenience.

I would define that as simple act of kindness.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:42 PM

I haven't been out of the house yet today. But less than 24 hours ago, I just finished reloading my card at a transit vending machine and a man with a foreign accent asks how to buy a one-way ticket. So I press all the buttons for him and he inserts his money and he gets a ticket.

No big deal, but I was happy I could put my skills to good use.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

In my university days, I saw a campus cop about to write a parking ticket. Before he could, I put a coin in the meter. He rolled his eyes are wrote the ticket anyway and showed me the added note that said, "passerby put quarter in the meter."
Old 02-14-2019, 04:24 PM

I went to the grocery store this morning. As I parked next to an older lady, I noticed that she was having a lot of difficulty getting out of her car. I didn't think too much about it, but wasn't surprised that she was still at the cart corral when I got there, in spite of her head start. What did surprise me was that she offered me a cart before taking one for herself.

I expressed to her that she didn't need to do that.

We passed one another in the aisles as we shopped a couple of times and then we were both back at our cars unloading at the same time. Now it was my turn to do her a solid. I took both our carts back to the store. She was very grateful as she had spent most of her energy in the store. We both chuckled and she made a comment about one good turn deserving another.

It wasn't a bad start to the day.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

After delivering our meals on wheels route, I joked with an old gal on the elevator about Valentine's Day. It turned into a bit of a Burns & Allen routine:

Lady, indicating the basket full of MOW bags): Lookin' pretty good there!
Me: You mean me just standing here? I do have that effect on women.
Lady (giggling and looking at my ring): How long have you been married?
Me: 25 years.
Lady: Do you make her laugh every day?
Me: Oh sure. In fact, sometimes she just looks at me and bursts out laughing.
Lady (laughing): Do you have plans for Valentine's Day.
Me: Yeah, I think I'll take a nap.
Lady: Laughs and leaves the elevator.

And scene.

I think I made her day.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:11 PM

I washed my son's towels from his bathroom today. He's been doing all his own laundry for years, but every once in a while I wash his towels and sheets and stuff.

Other than that, I haven't been our of the house or really interacted with anyone yet today.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I let my gf blow me, even tho I really wasn't in the mood.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:39 PM

It stopped raining for a little while around 3pm, so I took the dogs out in the Jeep. First time in a couple days. They acted like it was their first day on Earth. I've never seen them romp and jive so much in a long time. Sheer Joy!

Happy dogs.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

I let an acquaintance bring her daughters over to pet my horsies and feed them carrots.

StG
Old 02-14-2019, 11:05 PM

I and two neighbor guys helped a delivery truck driver get moving after getting stuck in the snow. Took about five minutes worth of shoveling and pushing. It's unlikely he'd be able to get unstuck on his own.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:31 PM

I still work with my ex boyfriend. Today he was the first guy with keys to show up. I’d been sitting in the outside chairs with a couple of other cold-workers and I walked over to the gate and held his coffee while he undid the door and then took the keys and ran over to get the door unlocked before the alarm, because I move faster than him. Then I went through the building and unlocked the door to let in the other two so they wouldn’t have to cross the icy yard.

Btw, yeah making change is a kindness. A lot of people simply wouldn’t bother and the person needed the change could have ended up with a ticket if they decided to chance it.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:49 AM

Am I a day too late? Never mind.

I'm going to spend the afternoon down at the allotments (community garden?) because Edie wants to work on her plot and doesn't like to be there alone. There isn't anything in particular that I need to do, but I'll find something to keep me busy.

j
Old 02-16-2019, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I disagree. The woman had the dollar in her hand, and she was looking for kindness, not charity. People can be funny about charity, and I thought it was kinder to take the dollar. If a person on a bus needs change of a five, I take the five and given them five ones, though I could afford to pay their bus fare.

Today I held the laundromat door open for a guy with a full shopping cart of clothes. Those things can be hard to maneuver.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Thank you.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I disagree. The woman had the dollar in her hand, and she was looking for kindness, not charity.
My point was, if you hadn't made change for her, I wouldn't have considered that neutral. You would have kinda been an asshole. Making change was neutral, just giving the money would have been kindness. Maybe we just have very different standards of basic human interaction.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My point was, if you hadn't made change for her, I wouldn't have considered that neutral. You would have kinda been an asshole. Making change was neutral, just giving the money would have been kindness. Maybe we just have very different standards of basic human interaction.
I believe there are perfectly legit reasons for not wanting to exchange money with a complete stranger.

Not doing anything would have been neutral.

Taking time out of your day to do something for a stranger that you have no obligation to do is an act of kindness. No matter how small the act is.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:01 AM

See, I don't consider fishing 4 quarters out of my pocket to be "taking time out of my day". I can walk briskly for 5 seconds and I'm totally caught up.

Last edited by CarnalK; 02-16-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
See, I don't consider fishing 4 quarters out of my pocket to be "taking time out of my day". I can walk briskly for 5 seconds and I'm totally caught up.
Ditto. About as much of a kindness as telling them the time. Still better than nothing, but not a whole lot.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
Ditto. About as much of a kindness as telling them the time. Still better than nothing, but not a whole lot.
You know, I gave a stranger the time once. Hell, I didn't have to take the time out of my day to look at my watch, and then read the time to her. I just saved her from getting back in the car and having to look at the clock on the dash--if its even set to the right time. If not, she'd have to go to a store and look at their clock. I saved her a considerable amount of inconvenience. It's simple acts of kindness like that which make me a better person every day.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
There was that scene in Seinfeld where a stranger refused to tell George the time, he just pointed to a clip ck and walked away. As George said, you know we're living in a aociety, right?
Old 02-16-2019, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thus calling it a simple act of kindness.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thus calling it a simple act of kindness.
No one disagrees with the use of the word simple here. But it's merely a simple act. Full stop. Neither kind, nor inconsiderate. A simple act.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:57 PM

I stayed off the roads today full of snow and ice ... giving the right of way to others that feel the need to go somewhere in this winter weather. I know it's not much, but I like to do my part (especially at 74 and my brakes don't always know when to brake).
Old 02-16-2019, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno View Post
No one disagrees with the use of the word simple here. But it's merely a simple act. Full stop. Neither kind, nor inconsiderate. A simple act.
I don't agree with the premise that a favorable act has to rise to a certain level before it can be called "kind".

Hell, smiling at your waitress is kind, covering your mouth when you cough is kind, flushing the toilet is kind... Yes, these things are all expected norms in a polite society, but to be polite is to also be kind.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:03 PM

Earlier today my daughter and I were talking and I told her how I tell my students each day to spread kindness. I guess my kind act for the day so far, was I helped her finish a school assignment which I didnít feel like doing, but I didnít get grumpy or complain about it.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Hell, smiling at your waitress is kind, covering your mouth when you cough is kind, flushing the toilet is kind... Yes, these things are all expected norms in a polite society, but to be polite is to also be kind.
If you go around not smiling, coughing everywhere, not flushing the toilet and refusing to make change then everyone is going to think you're an annoying ass. Living within a society, it is merely rational self interest not to do that. That's why they're calle expected norms.