Old 02-16-2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
I agree, I'm not intending to imply that there aren't customs that differ around the country based on locale and development type. But I've lived in an area that seems similar to what is described in the OP and there were no such customs. I'm trying to understand what they are in that locale.
I took the OP to live in the opposite type of neighborhood with on-street parking. One where there was plenty of parking with customary spaces for each homeowner but his asshole neighbor has six cars that he parks on the street.

In my neighborhood, we all mostly have driveways and garages, but some people don't and use street parking. If I am having people over and run out of parking, I will at least do my neighbors the courtesy of asking if they mind if my guests park on the street in front of their house.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
The trouble with these threads is everyone thinks what they have in their own neighborhood applies everywhere.

Here's a typical So Cal street. Obviously no one has "their own" spot there. In fact, you're lucky if you can find any spot.

Now here is a random street in my neighborhood in Mesa, AZ. You park right in front of someone's house in this neighborhood, and you're either a jerk or an idiot. Because there's no reason you can't park in front of your own house. Even parking across the street but still in front of your house is rude.
This was exactly my reaction (although I didn't look for photos!). As someone else pointed out, many communities allow towing after 72 hours or so. But I guess the cars that bother OP wouldn't be subject to towing: they may offend continually for several days, but as long as they're moved every 2 days or so they're not in violation.

OP, have you discussed this with your neighbors? Perhaps there's some passive-aggressive solution. Have a big street party with beer and loud music and don't invite the offensive neighbors. If they show up, say "Oh, we thought you were so busy moving your cars around you wouldn't want to party with us. It was a potluck and we needed somebody to bring the chili. Maybe next time."
Old 02-16-2019, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
If I am having people over and run out of parking, I will at least do my neighbors the courtesy of asking if they mind if my guests park on the street in front of their house.
I get that there are different norms about this kind of thing but this seems really overboard for anywhere, especially since there's not really anything you can do about it if they say no, short of sending your guests advance notice of which homes they're not permitted to park near.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 02-16-2019 at 04:41 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Feldon View Post
I get that there are different norms about this kind of thing but this seems really overboard for anywhere, especially since there's not really anything you can do about it if they say no, short of sending your guests advance notice of which homes they're not permitted to park near.
But that's just the thing. They won't say no, but it is a courtesy to ask.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Reason #456 why I live in the woods. I would go insane dealing with that kinda problem. My friend has a house in the suburbs she leases out and there's a big kerfuffle going on right now about a neighbor parking their car on the lawn between two houses. It's just crazy. There may be a lawsuit about it. The whole neighborhood is rental property. My friend is pulling her hair at over it. Her renters are the complaining party.
That's where you find the property line between the houses, and decorate your lawn with whatever is good for discouraging parking - large concrete planters, decorative rocks over a foot tall, iron rebar sticking out a foot and a half as the support for a newly planted tree...

(I did that last one when people were driving (!!) across my corner lot. Unfortunately I never got them to take the bait and run over a 2-foot tree...)

Another point - you shovel out two parking spots one after next, and park straddling the two when you need to reserve a spot for guests.

Last edited by md2000; 02-16-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:04 PM

My mailbox is a few miles from my driveway. We have replaced it, oh I don't know, a half dozen times. People have hit it, torn it down. Put trash in it. Took a dump near it ( really). Jerked it out with a winch. The postal people didn't give a rats ass. It was our problem. Mr.Wrekker got an iron pipe used in the oil fields. 10 inch dia. He buried it 6 foot deep. He would be done it deeper but that's as deep as his auger thingy went. He poured concrete in and around it. Put the mail box on top his super structure and waited. The first hit was a red car because we can see the paint on the pole. Mail box survived. Next time the mailbox was on the ground, the pole survived of course. Now the mail box is inside a brick canopy and brick all the way to the ground. There's a few chips off the brick but everything is intact. We had trash in it one time. We should've gotten a locking box. He may do it yet.
So, don't expect the USPS to give a crap if they can't get to your box and deliver your mail. That's all your problem.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 02-16-2019 at 06:08 PM.