Old 06-27-2018, 06:07 PM

I'm about to have an orchiectomy. What to expect? [Now out of chemo]

Long story short:

About 1.5 months ago I experienced severe pain in my right testicle. I went to an acute care clinic, they found nothing odd during the exam, and gave me antibiotics for epididymitis with instructions to see my PCM is the pain continues.

About a week later, I went to the ER for an unrelated issue, and the ER Doc offered to give a second opinion. His opinion was that I needed a sonogram ASAP. The sonogram showed a mass.

After some fighting with the insurance company, I got a referral to a urologist. His opinion is that the sucker's gotta come out.

My surgery is scheduled for next Friday. I have the literature from the urologist, and I've done some research. I would appreciate some input from those who have actually had the procedure.

Oh, and my right testicle is now like the Grinch's heart at the END of the Grinch. Shit's uncomfortable.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:16 PM

I have not had an orchi. However, I have multiple transgender friends who have. They indicate it is not as terrible as one might expect. Certainly, the discomfort you experience will be greatly lessened once that swollen grinch is removed. Are you have a prosthesis implanted, or just leaving one testicle solo in the pouch?

Good luck. It will get better.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:04 PM
One of Cecil's six friends
Charter Member

I had one in 1999 for testicular cancer. Recovery is uncomfortable, but not excruciating. Try not to sneeze or cough, that was the worst. I took the Percocet for a few days, but it caused constipation, so I just took aspirin. I went back to work in ten days, but I had a physical job that could have exacerbated it. A sedentary job should be no problem a little earlier.

Long term, no problems. I did not get a prosthetic, and it doesn't seem odd at all. One ball, so what. Everything works the same.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHarry View Post
I have not had an orchi. However, I have multiple transgender friends who have. They indicate it is not as terrible as one might expect. Certainly, the discomfort you experience will be greatly lessened once that swollen grinch is removed. Are you have a prosthesis implanted, or just leaving one testicle solo in the pouch?

Good luck. It will get better.

Just leaving the one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
I had one in 1999 for testicular cancer. Recovery is uncomfortable, but not excruciating. Try not to sneeze or cough, that was the worst. I took the Percocet for a few days, but it caused constipation, so I just took aspirin. I went back to work in ten days, but I had a physical job that could have exacerbated it. A sedentary job should be no problem a little earlier.

Long term, no problems. I did not get a prosthetic, and it doesn't seem odd at all. One ball, so what. Everything works the same.
Unfortunately, I can't take aspirin or any nsaids.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:

Did your remaining testicle grow larger?
Old 06-27-2018, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Did your remaining testicle grow larger?
Not that I noticed.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

The interesting thing was that the procedure is done through an incision in the lower abdomen, not the scrotum. The testicle and spermatic cords are pulled out of the scrotum through the inguinal canal.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:04 PM

In my experience, epididymitis is not something to mess around with. One (or both) of your nuts hurt/s, you need to get something done about it. From the first time, it took about six years of antibiotics (two penicillin based, two sulfa based) to get the thing under some kind of control.

The worst part was on a business training trip to Dallas, and my sack just started hurting and swelling. I called my doc, who advised he couldn't prescribe pain killers across State lines, but gave me a scrip for antibiotics. Well. Glenlivet and Glenmorangie helped a lot back in 1996.

Twenty-four years later I still have to be very careful washing my nether regions. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharmaChameleon View Post
Twenty-four years later I still have to be very careful washing my nether regions. Good luck.

What happens when you try? Is there discomfort or, worse, pain when you move things about?
Old 06-28-2018, 01:51 PM

I had it done back in the late 80's for the same reason, epididymitis. I don't remember any physical discomfort aside from normal post-operative tenderness and soreness but it was fairly short term and much easier t deal with than the pain and discomfort experienced before the surgery. The mental adjustment actually took a little longer than the physical and it took a little while to get comfortable in intimate situations where the missing body part would be noticeable . Not that it was a long process and would probably be an easier adjustment if you were in an intimate relationship at the time of the surgery which I was not.

As Fear Itself commented, long term it's no big deal and everything works like it did before.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:45 PM

Update

I had the surgery a couple of weeks ago. The first two days were kind of bad, mainly because getting in and out of bed was pretty damn painful.

By the third morning, I stopped taking the pain meds. I had some swelling, which was uncomfortable, but not painful. It did freak me out a little, as the day after the surgery it looked like I was smuggling a Dali painting but the following day it was full again.

My doctor called me today with the pathology results. It was cancer. I'll have some more tests in a few weeks to ensure that it's all gone.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:04 PM

Glad to hear about your recovery, but sorry to hear about the cancer. Please keep us posted.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf333 View Post
I had the surgery a couple of weeks ago. The first two days were kind of bad, mainly because getting in and out of bed was pretty damn painful.

By the third morning, I stopped taking the pain meds. I had some swelling, which was uncomfortable, but not painful. It did freak me out a little, as the day after the surgery it looked like I was smuggling a Dali painting but the following day it was full again.

My doctor called me today with the pathology results. It was cancer. I'll have some more tests in a few weeks to ensure that it's all gone.
Glad to hear everything went normally. Did your doctor say what kind of cancer it was? Mine was pure seminoma, and was confined to the testicular capsule. I had CAT scans for two years following my surgery, but no other tumors were ever found. I had no chemo.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

It's a darned good thing you got that 2nd opinion. I hope your tumor was localized and your recovery is uneventful.

StG
Old 07-23-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf333 View Post

I don't have any testicles, but I do understand how it feels to hear those words "You have cancer" and in addition, be grateful that thing's out of you! Keep us all posted on your progress.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha834 View Post
The mental adjustment actually took a little longer than the physical and it took a little while to get comfortable in intimate situations where the missing body part would be noticeable . Not that it was a long process and would probably be an easier adjustment if you were in an intimate relationship at the time of the surgery which I was not.
Just one woman's opinion, but all men look so different (in my somewhat limited experience), that one being a little more lopsided than usual wouldn't look that odd to me, and a guy having two balls is really not what you look for in a partner. It's certainly not any kind of dealbreaker. It wouldn't be for any woman I know of. (Not having any balls might be for a woman who wanted a big family, but from what I understand, one or two, you are just as fertile.)

Also, FWIW, I know several women who would probably admire the OP's honesty in not getting an implant.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:15 PM

Further update

Well, my first set of blood tests post-surgery showed that my markers were still a little high. The second set of blood tests show that the markers were going back up.

I finally got to see an oncologist (fuck you, insurance companies), who ordered a new CT scan. The new scan showed new growths: one small one in my left lung, once 6.5cm X 3.5cm in my abdomen. Luckily, the big one is in a relatively empty area (I didn't know I had that), not in any major organs.

So, I started chemo today. It's only day one, so no ill effects, yet.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:19 PM

Sending all the good thoughts your way, man.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

positive, healing thoughts/prayers/vibes sent your way
Old 09-24-2018, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

What Cub Mistress said.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

duplicate

Last edited by Cub Mistress; 09-25-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:43 PM

Starting chemo round 2 today.

Round one was bad, but not horrible. I did not experience any nausea, diarrhea, or constipation, but there was a lot of killer heartburn. It was also fairly difficult to sleep.

On the Sunday following the first week, I felt like I had weights tied to all of my limbs. I took out the trash, and that pretty much wiped me out for the rest of the day.

My hair started falling out this past weekend. Not a huge deal, as I normally shave my head. It is kind of weird, as it comes out with no effort at all.

The worst part so far is that it's boring. I've been here for 4 hours, and still have 3 to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2018, 12:56 PM

How many rounds are you scheduled for? And how many days constitute a round?

Hope you get through this one even better than the last.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:53 PM

Three rounds.

Week 1: five days, 3-5 hours per day for the infusions, an extra hour on day one for doctor consult.

Week 2 & 3: one infusions per week @ about 45 minutes.

Repeat.

They will check tumor markers after each round.

I did get a port installed, which makes it so much easier.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:22 PM

Best of luck to you.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:42 PM

Ugh. Just seeing this thread now, Wolf. Cancer is a fucking bastard. That's not eloquent or even terribly insightful, but it's how I feel. Kick its ass on behalf of yourself and all of us who've had loved ones taken from us.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post

What happens when you try? Is there discomfort or, worse, pain when you move things about?
Not so much pain as just the apprehension and/or discomfort from knowing I might stir things up too much. Still, you gotta wash down there.

Looking back on it, the old guy, Dr. B, never minded grabbing hold of that testicle and stressing the internals a little bit, just so long as I never passed out or something. The replacement guy, Dr. S, wouldn't touch a scrotum to save his life is my guess. I fired the replacement guy more than a year ago.

No big loss, except I miss Dr. B.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:21 AM

Good news! My tumor markers dropped from 61 in August to 9 this week.

Also, I shaved my head on Monday and it hasn’t grown back at all! Think of all money I’ll save on razors!

As of right now, the worst side effects are hiccups, heartburn, and the steroids make me very twitchy. Makes sleep a little difficult.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Glad to hear the good news. Hope you keep right on going down. Er...markers that is.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:13 AM

Excellent! Keep it going (down)!
Old 10-31-2018, 10:35 PM

Thanks everyone.

Not a huge update (hopefully that will come next week), but I've had two straight weeks of good blood counts (adjusted for a chemo patient). My red count is low, but within expected ranges (if that makes sense), so I've been really tired and wheezy for the past two weeks.

Odd side effect:
I also happen to have a blood disorder called mastocytosis. Technically, I have cutaneous mastocytosis with systemic symptoms. Basically, I sometimes just go into anaphylaxis.

This was all under control (I take large doses of antihistamines, daily) for two years, but I've now had three attacks since may. The latest was today.

Most likely, the attacks were not directly caused my either the cancer or the chemo drugs, but by stress.

The good news is that I've become pretty adept at handling these attacks.

Today, I was in a coworkers vehicle. We had just left a restaurant, and I told him "John, we need to turn around and head towards the hospital. Find a good place to turn around... don't speed, stop tailgating, we're good, we're fine".

The whole time, I'm taking hits on my inhaler and watching my Fitbit (when my heart rate hits 130, I use the Epipen. Gotta draw the line somewhere).
Old 10-31-2018, 10:48 PM

Thanks for the update. Chemo is a miserable experience, and it's good to see that you're doing relatively well so far.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:41 AM
born to be shunned

Positive and healing vibes headed your way.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:09 AM

Very glad to hear the blood count news.

With the mastocytosis, is there any need to adjust medications, at least while you're under the increased stress? Or are you just stuck dealing with additional attacks in the interim? Definitely sounds like no fun, but I'm glad to hear you're so calm in managing them.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:17 AM

Sorry to have missed this the first time around. I had the same (orchi) procedure done for the same reason in the same way; all went well. I was lucky to have caught it very early and thus no need for chemo, although I did a course of preventative radiotherapy which wasn't much fun in itself.

My elderly mother went through a fairly serious course of chemo earlier this year and made it through with flying colors. While it's a miserable experience it's important to remember that there is an end to it and if everything works out it's worth it. Positive thoughts/good vibes/warm fuzzies to you and hang in there, man.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:36 PM

All best wishes sent your way. So sorry about the diagnosis, good news that the markers are heading the right way.

I had testicular torsion 30+ years ago, misdiagnosed in emerg, then misdiagnosed as cancer, the unilateral orchidectomy revealed the torsion. Didn’t get the fake ball; I told them I wanted an iron one, or none. My brother kept calling me Captain Nemo....

You know, the commander of the “Nutless.” Warm thoughts and best wishes being sent your way!
Old 11-03-2018, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Didn’t get the fake ball; I told them I wanted an iron one, or none.
But isn't brass more traditional?
Old 11-06-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimovian View Post
Very glad to hear the blood count news.

With the mastocytosis, is there any need to adjust medications, at least while you're under the increased stress? Or are you just stuck dealing with additional attacks in the interim? Definitely sounds like no fun, but I'm glad to hear you're so calm in managing them.
I can go up on the Doxepin, but my allergist is hesitant to do so, as it can have some nice side-effects of it's own (it was originally developed as an anti-depressant).

I only have a few weeks of chemo left.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone.

More good news:

Tumor markers -

August 62 9
October 9 <1
November 3 <1

I'm relatively normal! (Normal is 8.4 and <1).
Old 11-06-2018, 05:19 PM

Woo-hoo!
Old 11-06-2018, 05:22 PM

Wow, good thing you got that second opinion! Best wishes.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
But isn't brass more traditional?
Yes, it is, but I had some vague memory of a character named something like Iron Balls McGinty. It was an homage.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Yes, it is, but I had some vague memory of a character named something like Iron Balls McGinty. It was an homage.
From The Jerk. Well-remembered.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:09 PM

Long time no update

When I last posted, everything was going good, I was just waiting to finish up chemo and get on with stuff. Well, it didn't quite work out that way.

First I had a blood clot, in my neck. I spent all weekend feeling completely run-down, but I just passed it off to the chemo. Then, on Monday morning, my entire right arm was swollen. I went to the ER, spent two days in the hospital, missed my next to last chemo treatment, and spent the next 8 weeks on blood thinners.

I resechduled my chemo for the following Thursday, and my axle broke on the way to the clinic.

Chemo finally finished, I had my follow-up at the end of December. Tumor markers are all normal, but I still have tumors showing in my lymph nodes in my abdomen. I had two kinds of tumor, and this is the kind that does not respond to therapy.

So, surgery it is! Or, was, actually. THey went in last Friday and pulled out the effected tissues, plus some extra to make sure.

Hopefully THIS will be it.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:23 PM

I wish you all the luck in the world. It seems that you are due for some
It's now nine years ago I had my round with (colon) cancer. I got a blood clot too. Afterwards the oncologist told me that it was a common side effect of the chemo and about a third of the patients got one somewhere. I still think they could have told me before, so I had been prepared.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Oh jeez Wolf333, isn't it about time for the Universe to stop fucking with you? I sure hope so. Fingers crossed.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:37 PM

Christ, man. I'm so sorry to hear about EVERYTHING you've been through at this point. Unbelievable. Here's hoping you are over the many, many hurdles at last.

Thank you for updating us.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel View Post
I wish you all the luck in the world. It seems that you are due for some
Oh, he's had plenty of luck but it's all been bad.

"I'd like an order of the good luck, please."
Old 02-07-2019, 06:21 AM

Wolf333, just checking in on your thread. Please let us know how you're doing. Fingers (and everything else) crossed that the news will be good from now on.
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass
Old 02-07-2019, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The interesting thing was that the procedure is done through an incision in the lower abdomen, not the scrotum. The testicle and spermatic cords are pulled out of the scrotum through the inguinal canal.
My ex-husband just went through this. The surgery is not so bad; he was home after two days and up and walking in another two.

Two months later, a scan showed spreading and now he has to have 10 doses of radiation.

Testicle cancer is on the rise; rumors that it has to do with men having phones 24/7 in their pocket next to their testicles, or a laptop on their laps for the other hours of the day.. those rumors are as yet unproven.

Still, I got all the men in my life to start wearing man-purses for their maybe-radiating electronics. Looks better then those overstuffed pockets, anyway, and less chance of breaking phones. https://www.google.com/search?q=man+...w=1401&bih=913

If you have to have a form of cancer, testicular cancer is one of the better ones to have. The five year survival rate is way over 96 %.

Last edited by Maastricht; 02-07-2019 at 06:38 AM.