View Poll Results: How many times have you been the victim of a violent crime?
0 159 72.60%
1 31 14.16%
2 7 3.20%
3 4 1.83%
4 or more 18 8.22%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2019, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown01 View Post
Is the majority of zeroes only showing on my screen? I think it will go more like what I did - I input my response, but didn't post because nothing happened. Unless you assume I'm lying, which many people do (a Kentucky thing).
I never said that people would lie. I said that the number of "No" responses would likely be lower than it should because people with a story to tell are more likely to enter the thread and vote because the thread topic will be of more interest to them. It's not as though this theory is breaking exciting new ground in the world of polling.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:11 AM

I said one but maybe should have said two? 1. Assault by stranger when I was 14, and which I've mentioned in far too many threads. 2. A violent home invasion. IThey rammed through my solid-core wooden door and broke the door frame. They took opioid painkillers I had for a rather painful eye condition and that's it. I didn't own a gun, but even if I had, good thing I wasn't there. They were obviously pretty ruthless.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:16 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

More than 4. All at work. Various punches, kicks, bites. The worst was a broken hand.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
I've been incredibly fortunate to have never been the victim of a violent crime.

And now that I've said that, I fully expect to be murdered on my way to my car this afternoon.

I had a good run.
You still with us today?
Old 02-16-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepKillBeep View Post
So voting in my own poll. When I was a teenager, another kid drew a knife on me. Nothing happened, other than him threatening me. I'm going to count it so voted one.
The two big holes I see in this poll as meaningfully related to gun self defense are
a) school bully stuff
b) people (mostly male) who carry on in that mode past grade school, as in bar altercations as adults. People do get shot in those (or as a later result of them) but they still don't fit the typical assumption of debates about gun self defense.

Personally I said zero not counting typical not very serious, but perhaps in some cases technically assault/battery, incidents in grade school. And I didn't get into any physical fights after that except one time a college hazing type thing got carried away and a hazer and I had a brief fist fight. 'Minding my own business' as adult and somebody attacked me, no never happened.

Last edited by Corry El; 02-16-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:05 PM

I can't accurately count, but I've yet to be really injured.

Three incidents with guns used.

One was my drunk dad who thought it was a funny joke to hold a .308 bolt action to my chest as "Russian roulette" , swearing it wasn't loaded after I saw him chamber a round and insisting I stay still.
He pulled the trigger just as I sidestepped, leaving a mild burn under the hole In my shirt by my arm pit.

One was a drive by or drive up more like.
Sitting with friends on the porch randomly targeted for being a group who was outside.

One my brother and I were being robbed in the house, The kid was probably 14 and had a .22 revolver, kept looking around behind him, every time he.did he would let the gun swing off to the left pointed to an empty spot in the couch but maybe an elbows length from me. The third or fourth time I grabbed it and his arm and my brother knocked him out with a haymaker.

One bat incident that i had a gun but never took it out.

I drove my friend to his friends place and they smoked some weed together then the subject of a $10 loan owed back to my friend came up. No real argument. We all went to sit outside and about five minutes later some guy showed up threatening my friend about harassing his friend for the ten dollars.
I let it go since I didn't think it mattered much or he'd actually use it. Until the guy looked at me and said I don't even know you, but I'll fuck you up too and put the bat up to my chest pointing at me. I just grabbed it and pulled a little, prompting him to pull back and help me shove it into his sternum and knock him off the porch edge 4" behind him. It was just a display, he wanted to be cocky because he had a bat. I don't think he intended to use it.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
I somehow won the trifecta on this. I have no idea why, and cannot find any common elements (other than perhaps my own naivete and lack of awareness in certain situations).

1. A group of "urban youths" decided I'd crossed some invisible geographical boundary by using a public restroom to which they owned the title. One second standing contentedly at a urinal, the next on the floor being pounded and kicked.
Result: Authorities contacted, little interest due to no names or identifying attributes.

2. A recently paroled violent animal decided I should be its next accomplishment. The creature been in stir for a previous home invasion in which the apparent goal was harming the occupants. Ditto for me -- no attempt at theft.
Result: Authorities contacted, lots of noise and wind, they said I would need to press charges myself in order to return the animal to its cage. The animal that they had already let out, and which earlier had reminded me it knew where I lived and would return for me and family upon its next release should it be re-arrested.

3. A parking lot confrontation where another subhuman believed I had brushed against its car -- and ran around and punched me (hard). I had to be evaluated for a concussion later.
Result: Authorities contacted, lots of interviews on scene with eyewitnesses and the license number of the creature's car. Eventually a detective "investigated" it and over the next few months gave me lots of excuses about how difficult it was to find people. After several months I was informed the case had been "administratively removed" and would not be prosecuted.

As you might have gathered, I have zero confidence in the criminal justice industry, and the same for crime stats. The police officers themselves seem to be competent and trying the do their job, the rest of the bureaucracy is merely processing criminals as part of their business model. With a failure rate (recidivism) hovering around 75%, I view it as the least competent industry in existence. Depending on this level of incompetence to protect one's self and family is simply idiotic. I take my own steps to ensure our safety, and don't give a flying f*ck about statistics. And yes the wording above is intentional. I no longer apply human pronouns to violent criminals.
Nope. I've had the shit beaten out of me three times for having the wrong color skin. (Native ethnicity/pass white skin)

And once a guy pulled a gun on me and my roommate cause we told him to can the beating of his woman in the middle of the street.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:13 PM

Once. A guy broke into my apartment, raped me and stole $80 out of my purse in 1974.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:10 PM

I try to avoid being the victim but I've intervened a number of times on the behalf of others.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:21 PM

Once. A serial rapist broke into my office and raped me at gunpoint. I was his 30th victim, and they caught him
soon after that.

Last edited by Newtosite; 02-16-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

I grew up in a bad neighborhood, and violence was part of the culture. It is hard to go back and decide whether or not this random violence rose to the level of criminal. I do still have the Italian switchblade that someone tried to stab me with. I was a bit faster than the knife wielder. this was one icident out of many, none of which do I consider myself to be a victim. It was just the way life was in the neighborhood.

Last edited by longhair75; 02-17-2019 at 07:21 AM. Reason: fat fingered typing
Old 02-19-2019, 12:03 AM

The OP needs to define "violent crime" for this poll to make sense.

Does a school bully beating you up to steal your lunch money count? (several dozen times)
Does being stopped on the street and your wallet demanded by two toughs count? Even with no violence inflicted, just....available? (4 times)
Does being stopped on the street and your wallet demanded by two toughs count? When you end up with multiple punches to the body and face? (1 time)
Does being stopped on the street and your wallet demanded by one tough count? When you end up with a knife cut on the buttock while running away? (1 time)
P.S. I'm male, 5'11", and able-bodied. Not the classic mugging victim profile, but i'm no rambo. Glasses even.

Does having your house burgled while you are away count? (3 times)
Does having your house burgled while you are in the house, asleep, and do not notice anything due to sleeping count? (1 time)
Does having your house burgled while you are in the house, and waking up to a guy pointing a shotgun at your head count? (0 time, but happened to TWO of my neighbors)
Does having your house burgled while you are in the house, and sleeping through it because they used some sort of gas to knock you out? You wake in the morning with a massive headache, a dead dog, and **nothing** not even the bed you were sleeping on? (1 time)

Does having your car stolen from its overnight parking count? (1 time)
Does having your car hijacked by a very polite and apparently unarmed group of 5 count? (1 time)
Does having your car hijacked, and still being shot at even as you comply and are getting out count? (1 time)

Advice: Don't tell a south african that personal violence crimes are rare and negligible.

Last edited by MarvinKitFox; 02-19-2019 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:15 AM

None for actual victim I once had a hate crime happen to me that could have escalated to serious violence.

Basically back when I lived in a shitty neighborhood I had a neighbor who literally threw a bunch of garbage onto my lawn (old furniture, mainly half-broken chairs) and when I confronted him he claimed that somebody else had thrown garbage onto his lawn and he thought I had done it for whatever reason (I strongly suspect he was just being a lazy piece of shit since I had literally seen those exact half-broken chairs in front of his house for garbage pickup which they refused to pick-up because they were oversized) . So I just threw the trash back onto his lawn and called it a day. The next day he confronts me in front of my house when some friends and/or family of his and he suddenly decided to make this racial (both him and I are different minorities) and started yelling hardcore racial slurs at me and told me to "Go back to your country fucker" while his friends backed him up. I told him to fuck off and then one of them pulls a knife and threatened to cut my throat. I simply walked back into my house, got my gun and called 9-1-1. Cops arrived and the neighbors scattered so with nobody on his side to interview the cops just took my statement and left. Then right after the cops left the neighbors regrouped and stood in front of my house throwing rocks and shouting racial slurs loudly. I again called the cops, they scattered and the same thing happened where they left when they couldn't find the neighbors (though at least this time they turned on their floodlight and scanned the neighborhood for 20 minutes) . Finally again after the cops left the neighbors reconvened and this time one of them actually tried to kick my door down. I did the logical thing and sat down near my door with a gun in my lap and shouted if they broke down my door I was just going to open fire on whoever barged in. This seemed to somehow bring them to their senses and whoever was at my door stopped, ran back to his friends and again they all scattered. Called cops one last time and 5 squad cars showed up and hung around my area for 30 minutes before they all left but this time at least the neighbors stopped. Cops told me to just get a camera in front of my house to record them in the act to prosecute but I never did.

The neighbors stopped bugging me after that for whatever reason, I didn't intrude on his property and he didn't on mine and things were seemingly settled until I moved from that dump.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticKnot View Post
To say that few Americans are victims of crimes and therefore Americans don't need guns for self defense would suggest that violent crimes up to a certain, as yet unnamed number, are acceptable. Victims of violent crimes, or family members of those lost to violent crime would probably tell you that they didn't want to be part of that number.
I agree. ~70% non-victims (including myself, excluding fights when a kid) would be a weak argument IMO to take away people's right to make the decision for themselves about gun ownership in their own situations (within limits which have, are and will be debated endlessly in the details). Even if the non-victim % might be biased to the low side by the thread being more attractive to people with stories to tell. But even 'scientific' studies share with this definitely unscientific poll the problem of defining what counts, especially if the implied context is gun laws or moreover a particular type of gun law (carrying guns, having guns at home, handguns, long guns, magazine fed semi-automatic rifles?, etc.)
Old 02-19-2019, 09:23 AM

I almost didn't choose '1' because of the situation but in the end, it totally was assault and I should have called the police. Basically got attacked at the movie theater by a mentally err challenged? man. Just was walking by him and he just started screaming and grabbed me and started just hitting me over and over. His sister was trying to pull him off and in the end my dad had to basically throw him off me.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:52 AM

Technically, none. However I've personally seen a murder victim on the street with my own 2 eyes, and that was close enough for me.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:24 AM
BANNED

I'm 63 years old, three exwives, two childs, two stepchilds, never once has me or mine ever been the victim of a violent crime - unless you count the crime of having to endure Donald Trump's face and voice on TV 24/7.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:29 AM

Rather than reply to any specific, I'll just post something in general. There seem to be a lot of assumptions with respect to my intent with this poll.

1 - "Is this poll related to having a firearm for self defense?" No, it isn't. While it was inspired by a thread on that subject, my interest was in seeing what the modality is for being the victim of a violent crime, especially with respect to USA citizens (only because this board is USA citizen dominated, I would be interested too in seeing it for other countries).

2 - "You didn't define violent crime." That's right, I didn't. I intentionally left it open-ended.

3 - "This poll isn't scientifically valid." Umm, yeah, no kidding. I promise not to publish any papers on the results.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:47 AM

Moderator Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pithily Effusive View Post
I'm 63 years old, three exwives, two childs, two stepchilds, never once has me or mine ever been the victim of a violent crime - unless you count the crime of having to endure Donald Trump's face and voice on TV 24/7.
There are numerous threads for you to vent about politics. Don't bring that in here.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:40 PM

I worked in a pharmacy behind the counter and twice I was staring down the barrel of a gun when being robbed. And walking late at night in the French Quarter a guy jumped out with a gun and demanded our wallets. My quick thinking friend started jumping up and down saying, "There's a cop! There's a cop!" and the mugger ran off (without our wallets).
Old 02-21-2019, 05:40 PM

Interesting that the urban myth about robbers driving trucks of anesthesia gases up to houses to rob them has made a return in this thread...

Quote:
But a spokeswoman for the Royal College of Anaesthetists has poured cold water on the claims, saying such a scheme would be nearly impossible.

"Our view is that it is very unlikely because it would be so impractical," she told The Telegraph.

"You would need to use a truckload of gas, and that amount would be phenomenally expensive to obtain.

"One has to ask why anyone would spend so much money on what is such an impractical method."

The gases are so pungent that the victim would be able to smell it even if they were asleep, she added.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...perts-say.html
Old 02-24-2019, 07:13 PM

Walking down the street from Los Angeles at about 730 in the morning on a Saturday with my mother and my sister. A large mumbling man shambling down the street, he passed everybody else but when he passed me he punched me in the mouth and split my lip-and didn't even break stride doing it.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:00 PM
SDSAB

Zero for me, I'm happy to say. My personal experiences with crime have been blessedly few: my college dorm room was once broken into and vandalized, I saw a woman assaulted on a London street but ran with others to her aid, I had my life threatened by a guy who didn't like what my law firm had done, and our garage was broken into about a year ago and a bicycle stolen. Could've been much, much worse.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Only once. I made the right suggestion to the right woman, but at the wrong time and her boyfriend took offense. I got beat up a little, so did he, and his friends backed off when it became clear that not all the traffic was going to be one-way. Whereupon I made like a bunny. Nobody got hurt, but it was, I suppose, technically assault and battery.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 02-25-2019, 02:45 PM

UK; aside from occasional scraps as a kid, in which no-one got hurt -and being groped I guess- nope.

I mean, I lived in one of the dodgiest bits of Bristol for most of a decade; multiple friends got mugged, there were armed home invasions on my street, riots and drive-by shootings a few streets away, so it was hardly some peaceful utopia, it just missed me. This despite me working as a bouncer for a year and a half; even at work I never got in a fight. Got threatened (with fists), my male co-workers got into fights (frankly some of 'em started fights sometimes) but I never got so much as shoved myself.

Watch me manage to get somehow mugged in rural Cornwall now...
Old 02-25-2019, 02:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Dozens of physical assaults, many of them preceded by death threats by a man holding a hunting rifle.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinKitFox View Post
The OP needs to define "violent crime" for this poll to make sense.

Does a school bully beating you up to steal your lunch money count? (several dozen times)
Does being stopped on the street and your wallet demanded by two toughs count? Even with no violence inflicted, just....available? (4 times)
Does being stopped on the street and your wallet demanded by two toughs count? When you end up with multiple punches to the body and face? (1 time)
Does being stopped on the street and your wallet demanded by one tough count? When you end up with a knife cut on the buttock while running away? (1 time)
P.S. I'm male, 5'11", and able-bodied. Not the classic mugging victim profile, but i'm no rambo. Glasses even.

Does having your house burgled while you are away count? (3 times)
Does having your house burgled while you are in the house, asleep, and do not notice anything due to sleeping count? (1 time)
Does having your house burgled while you are in the house, and waking up to a guy pointing a shotgun at your head count? (0 time, but happened to TWO of my neighbors)
Does having your house burgled while you are in the house, and sleeping through it because they used some sort of gas to knock you out? You wake in the morning with a massive headache, a dead dog, and **nothing** not even the bed you were sleeping on? (1 time)

Does having your car stolen from its overnight parking count? (1 time)
Does having your car hijacked by a very polite and apparently unarmed group of 5 count? (1 time)
Does having your car hijacked, and still being shot at even as you comply and are getting out count? (1 time)

Advice: Don't tell a south african that personal violence crimes are rare and negligible.