Old 10-08-2019, 12:52 PM

Fancy non-perishable foods available on Amazon.com

Here's one: https://www.amazon.com/Ortiz-Ventres...athetakeout-20

It's a very high quality canned tuna. I've had it and its delicious -- I like to put things like this on my wish list for gifts. What are some other very tasty but relatively exotic non-perishable foods available on Amazon?
Old 10-08-2019, 01:17 PM

They sell my brand of Chinese sausage: https://www.amazon.com/Kam-Yen-Jan-C...dp/B000A0ZEBA/

You can also get legit good ramen: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015887PKQ/

That's just an example; they have a good variety of good Japanese and Korean instant noodle cups/bowls/blocks available. You do have to be careful about checking the description for price and quantity, as these things often come in 8 or 12 packs but they also are sold individually for basically the same price.

I've gotten good deals on canned sardines. I like the really little brisling ones, and I've gotten them on amazon for less than $2.50 a can. In the supermarket a can of King Oscar sardines will run you $3.99.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
They sell my brand of Chinese sausage: https://www.amazon.com/Kam-Yen-Jan-C...dp/B000A0ZEBA/

You can also get legit good ramen: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015887PKQ/

That's just an example; they have a good variety of good Japanese and Korean instant noodle cups/bowls/blocks available. You do have to be careful about checking the description for price and quantity, as these things often come in 8 or 12 packs but they also are sold individually for basically the same price.

I've gotten good deals on canned sardines. I like the really little brisling ones, and I've gotten them on amazon for less than $2.50 a can. In the supermarket a can of King Oscar sardines will run you $3.99.
Thanks! That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Looks tasty!
Old 10-08-2019, 08:30 PM

I am originally from Ohio, and I still order Esther Price chocolates at Christmas. I have an aunt who once got a little peeved with me when I got her Godiva instead of this. Not really exotic I guess, but tasty for sure.

https://www.amazon.com/Esther-Price-...t%2C217&sr=8-1

I read about Aleppo peppers in a recipe once. Found them on Amazon and they are a staple for me now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-09-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
I am originally from Ohio, and I still order Esther Price chocolates at Christmas. I have an aunt who once got a little peeved with me when I got her Godiva instead of this. Not really exotic I guess, but tasty for sure.

https://www.amazon.com/Esther-Price-...t%2C217&sr=8-1

I read about Aleppo peppers in a recipe once. Found them on Amazon and they are a staple for me now.

Thanks -- good suggestions!
Old 10-09-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post

Nothing against Amazon, but if you are serious about cooking and want to mail-order spices, I recommend buying from Penzeys. Shipping is a bit expensive though, we usually wait till we have several items to order from them. They may also have a brick-and-mortar store near you.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
Nothing against Amazon, but if you are serious about cooking and want to mail-order spices, I recommend buying from Penzeys. Shipping is a bit expensive though, we usually wait till we have several items to order from them. They may also have a brick-and-mortar store near you.
Penzey's products are excellent, and maybe it's different in other locations, but they have a brick-and-mortar store in my area and it has really bizarre hours. Like 10A-3P, what are they, a bank?! Who the hell can shop there?
Old 10-09-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Penzey's products are excellent, and maybe it's different in other locations, but they have a brick-and-mortar store in my area and it has really bizarre hours. Like 10A-3P, what are they, a bank?! Who the hell can shop there?
I just checked their web site and I couldn't find any store that has hours like that - most are open 10-6 Monday-Saturday, and shorter hours on Sunday.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I just checked their web site and I couldn't find any store that has hours like that - most are open 10-6 Monday-Saturday, and shorter hours on Sunday.
Yeah, I think you're right, although my store is curiously not listed on their website's store locator. Still, those are pretty inconvenient hours for most people. I can never get over there in time, and I'm not nearby on weekends.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Love Penzey’s, but I also recommend https://www.myspicesage.com. Always free shipping and frequent sales.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmagirl View Post
Love Penzey’s, but I also recommend https://www.myspicesage.com. Always free shipping and frequent sales.
Thank you for this! I also love Penzey's but I've been looking for some specific Indian spices that Penzey's doesn't carry but this place does. I think I learned about Penzey's from this board.

I've gotten some really nice tea assortments from Amazon. For some reason many of the stores in my neck of the woods think people only want chamomile or peppermint tea.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Penzeys has free shipping if you order enough -- I think it's about $40 now, which is not too hard to reach given that spices in general are kind of pricy. Plus they often run specials, like free products, if you order over a modest amount. At the holiday season they usually have gift boxes of 2 or 4 spice mixes at a really good price.

All in all, I find Penzeys to be a good value.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
Penzeys has free shipping if you order enough -- I think it's about $40 now, which is not too hard to reach given that spices in general are kind of pricy. Plus they often run specials, like free products, if you order over a modest amount. At the holiday season they usually have gift boxes of 2 or 4 spice mixes at a really good price.

All in all, I find Penzeys to be a good value.
They often drop that down to free shipping on $25. Join their mailing list to find out when.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:01 AM

I buy this chili sauce on Amazon, I’ve been addicted to it since I lived in Indonesia. https://www.amazon.com/ABC-Indonesia...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Last edited by madmonk28; 10-09-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

I get:

Bottarga (great in a simple aoili sauce on spaghetti)

Roesti (basically a premade large potato pancake; my husband loves these)

and

Peanut Puffs (be warned if you like peanut things; these can be addictive)
Old 10-11-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romansperson View Post
Peanut Puffs (be warned if you like peanut things; these can be addictive)
Do you have Aldi's near you? Because this looks like a product they've been promoting in store recently.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:03 AM

Roland Escargot. I just ordered a case this morning.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Roland Escargot. I just ordered a case this morning.
Mmmm! Snails
Old 10-10-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Mmmm! Snails
I know sarcasm even from 1839 miles away.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:04 AM

Thanks for those suggestions -- the Indonesian hot sauce and bottarga look very interesting. I've added just about every one of these suggestions to my "wish list" for gifts, so in all likelihood I'll be getting to try some of them come xmas time and my birthday.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Thanks for those suggestions -- the Indonesian hot sauce and bottarga look very interesting. I've added just about every one of these suggestions to my "wish list" for gifts, so in all likelihood I'll be getting to try some of them come xmas time and my birthday.
ABC hot sauce comes in extra hot and sweet, I prefer the extra hot. I use it on food, but I also use it to add heat to recipes; I put it in my chili and most stews. But I love spicy, I’d pretty much brush my teeth with it.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Lily's chocolate bars - all sweetened with Stevia.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:50 PM

Tunnock's Tea Cakes. I saw them being tested by a food reviewer on youtube once, ordered some, and my life will never be the same.

I suppose they're perishable, but I don't think they'd hang around longer than a week in my house, at most.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
Tunnock's Tea Cakes. I saw them being tested by a food reviewer on youtube once, ordered some, and my life will never be the same.

I suppose they're perishable, but I don't think they'd hang around longer than a week in my house, at most.

I just replenished my supply a couple of days ago.

This pate is quite nice as well.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
Funny that you consider these to be fancy; I've always thought of them as cheap and common. They were commonly included as the "dessert" in British military rations, and for all I know they still are.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonaut View Post
Funny that you consider these to be fancy; I've always thought of them as cheap and common. They were commonly included as the "dessert" in British military rations, and for all I know they still are.
Ha. I've never seen them for sale in the U.S., not even at Cost Plus World Market. They addicted me instantly because the filling wasn't exactly like our marshmallow filling in our chocolate cookie equivalents; it's soft and kind of gooey.

They certainly look fancy, with their pretty striped foil wrapping. I still have a wrapper here at my desk to remind me to eventually order some more.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:30 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Not all that fancy, but if you don't live in fly-over country, Amazon is the only place you can find Dorothy Lynch salad dressing.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:06 PM

Marie Sharps Hot Sauce:

https://www.amazon.com/Marie-Sharps-...0669486&sr=8-4

Most people that have gone to Belize know the hot sauce. It's damn good. It's so damn good, we buy it by the case from cheaper sources.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:21 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Not all that fancy, but if you don't live in fly-over country, Amazon is the only place you can find Dorothy Lynch salad dressing.
What the heck is “Dorothy Lynch” salad dressing? It looks like the tomato-tinged stuff they called “French dressing” in my youth.

I have to buy Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning online. Six at a time in the 16 oz jars. I keep four and give away two as gifts. It is delicious on nearly everything and quite a bit less salty than Tony Chachere’s.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=slap+ya+m...l_15jtmgk1g3_e

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 10-09-2019 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Link added
Old 10-09-2019, 08:29 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
What the heck is “Dorothy Lynch” salad dressing? It looks like the tomato-tinged stuff they called “French dressing” in my youth.
Almost sorta not quite. It's a Nebraska/parts of Kansas thing. Think French dressing with added celery seed and a few other light touches.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I have to buy Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning online.
What kind of culinary wasteland do you live in that doesn't have Slap Ya Mama at the grocery store!? I thought you could find everything in New York City! (Many stores around here have it, including the hot and white pepper blends.) It is pretty essential for me to have around, and actually quite simple: salt, red pepper, black pepper, and garlic. I think Tony Chachere's has a few more herbs and spices in it (the ingredients are the same as the above, plus "chili powder," which includes the nebulous "spices" in the ingredient sublist.)

Marie Sharp's hot sauce is also easy to find around here.

It's been awhile, but I've been missing White Lily flour being available around here. The local Meijers used to carry it years ago, but I haven't seen it there in at least half a decade now.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Marie Sharp's hot sauce is also easy to find around here.
I've never seen it at a store round these parts. Would be nice if I could pick it up at the grocery store.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:30 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Dorothy Lynch

Oh....my....god....it’s....made....in....Nebraska.

I’ve BEEN to Nebraska. Hard pass.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:31 PM

Palmetto Farms stone ground grits. I'm not sure if grits could ever possibly be considered "fancy," but these are the legit, traditional, takes 20 minutes to cook kind of grits. Maybe if you live in the Deep South you can find that kind of grits at your local supermarket, but here in California decent grits are hard to find.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:09 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Palmetto Farms stone ground grits. I'm not sure if grits could ever possibly be considered "fancy," but these are the legit, traditional, takes 20 minutes to cook kind of grits. Maybe if you live in the Deep South you can find that kind of grits at your local supermarket, but here in California decent grits are hard to find.
You can’t get Bob’s Red Mill? They’re based in Oregon, and their grits are extremely good. All their grain and flour products are easy to find here in NYC, and the grits are delicious both in breakfast aigs n’ grits and in fancy dinner polenta.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
You can’t get Bob’s Red Mill?
Possibly. I haven't really looked. It is possible that grit availability in California has improved since I last looked, but it used to be if you tried to find them in a regular grocery store you'd find maybe one variety of instant grits and maybe Quaker quick cook ones. Trader Joe's used to have decent stone ground grits, but they stopped carrying them many years ago. After the Trader Joe's ones went away I started buying the Palmetto Farms ones on Amazon and never looked back.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:40 PM

How about this trail mix?
Old 10-10-2019, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Ooh, if you want some good stone ground grits, you can't go wrong with Weisenberger Mills.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

You do you, but if you ever fall short, you’ll probably find Bob’s in your nearest fancy grocery store. I see them in my Whole Foods, but also my local square supermarket.

I don’t buy a helluva lot of their products, but if I ever needed rye flour, I know where to look.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:10 PM

Echoing madmonk's wistfulness for Indonesian products, I recommend teh poci which is an ethereally delicious tea - jasmine-infused green tea according to the label. I wouldn't say the taste is anything like that, though; it is just spectacularly delicious tea. I was thrilled, after leaving Indonesia permanently, to discover I could buy it on Amazon.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
Echoing madmonk's wistfulness for Indonesian products, I recommend teh poci which is an ethereally delicious tea - jasmine-infused green tea according to the label. I wouldn't say the taste is anything like that, though; it is just spectacularly delicious tea. I was thrilled, after leaving Indonesia permanently, to discover I could buy it on Amazon.
I also sometimes get a hankering for Indonesian soy sauce on fried rice.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
I also sometimes get a hankering for Indonesian soy sauce on fried rice.
Is it kecap manis you crave? I think you can make that by mixing honey and soy sauce, though I have never tried that myself.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
Is it kecap manis you crave? I think you can make that by mixing honey and soy sauce, though I have never tried that myself.
Crave is a strong term, after a couple of bites, I'm good. You can buy it on Amazon, too, but to really enjoy it, you need to be drinking a Tiger beer on the beach with a grilled fish as main course.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:21 PM

If you're a canned seafood fan, the Matiz octopus is great.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:38 AM

Turrón, aka nougat. There's tons of different varieties, from the most classic ones to all sorts of novelties (master turroners try different new recipes all the time). El Almendro is the most popular brand, followed closely by Delaviuda; 1880 is more expensive but not necessarily better. The best quality is called suprema.

Or just go for the "Spanish Christmas basket".

Back in 1994, the Latin American and Spanish workers at a certain Publix in Miami managed to convince the managers to buy some turrón, on the promise that it would sell real well. After seeing that most of it hadn't had time to be placed on the shelf (customers were taking it directly from the pallet as the shelver tried to do her job), the next year there was a whole dedicated aisle and they did try to keep it refilled. Try

Last edited by Nava; 10-11-2019 at 12:42 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:26 AM

wow is that worth $200?..... i mean if you're not Spanish and homesick .....
Old 10-11-2019, 02:50 AM

The basket doesn't have a content list, but eyeballing it, it doesn't seem terribly expensive. It's actually on the cheap side for its volume considering "abroad prices" (not much in the way of ibérico cured meats).

Last edited by Nava; 10-11-2019 at 02:51 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Here's one: https://www.amazon.com/Ortiz-Ventres...athetakeout-20

It's a very high quality canned tuna. I've had it and its delicious
Do you prepare it any particular way, or do you just use it in any sort of dish that calls for tuna?
Old 10-11-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonaut View Post
Do you prepare it any particular way, or do you just use it in any sort of dish that calls for tuna?
It was so good I ate it straight out of the can. I'm sure it'd be great in tuna salad or other tuna dishes, but I wanted the "pure" experience, at least for my first time.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
It was so good I ate it straight out of the can. I'm sure it'd be great in tuna salad or other tuna dishes, but I wanted the "pure" experience, at least for my first time.
There's also other Ortiz preserves in Amazon. Through amazon.com it seems to be mostly tuna, with some mackerel thrown in (caballa). Some vocabulary:
bonito del norte: a type of tuna, in Spain it's considered the best kind
ventresca: the belly of a fish (from vientre, belly)
en escabeche: in a white-vinegar sauce (less vinegary than for pickles)
al natural: in somewhat-salty water

Sadly the amazon.com algorithm doesn't seem to differentiate between Ortiz as a brand and as a lastname, so it shows a ton of other stuff that's very much inedible.

Last edited by Nava; 10-11-2019 at 09:09 AM.