Old 09-11-2019, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Know anything about Meccano/Erector sets?

In my youth, Meccano sold their sets in levels (not sure of their terminology for levels) e.g. Level 1, Level 2. If you already owned Level 1 you could buy a Level 1A to upgrade to Level 2. Each level had a booklet with plans to build dozens of models.

And Erector sets were the American version of Meccano. An entirely different company. The quality was definitely a step or two down from Meccano.

So now in 2019 I am looking for gifts for the grand-kids. I look in Amazon and see "Meccano", "Meccano-Erector", and "Erector by Meccano" sets. This is just Amazon inconsistency and there is only one brand with the sets all compatible with each other?

And it appears that it isn't sold in sets anymore, just individual projects like "Remote Control Speedster". Although, for some of these sets, the package has a level indicator... not sure what that means.

Clarification or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-11-2019, 12:38 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

When in doubt, go to the source: Mechano-Erector 25-in-One motorized Super Construction Set.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:45 PM

Meccano bought Erector in 2000 and they are now the same company.

I found one “mega set” that lets you build various things rather than just one project:
https://amazon.com/Meccano-Erector-C...dp/B01F8UG67M/
It's pricey because you get so many parts, but that’s the trade-off. Also, just a tip but look for the word “Evolution” in the product name for projects that have smaller, simpler, and more functional parts. Many of their newer projects were somewhat lazily designed and don’t feel like you’re really building them.

EDIT: Ninja’d on the recommendation.

Last edited by Atamasama; 09-11-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:48 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by K364 View Post
So now in 2019 I am looking for gifts for the grand-kids. I look in Amazon and see "Meccano", "Meccano-Erector", and "Erector by Meccano" sets. This is just Amazon inconsistency and there is only one brand with the sets all compatible with each other?
Meccano bought the Erector brand in 2000; Erector had originally been made by A.C. Gilbert, then had passed through several other owners after Gilbert had died.

I suspect it's a matter of Meccano keeping the Erector brand name on their products in the US, due to familiarity among consumers here.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:23 PM

When I was a kid in the 70s the Meccano I had seemed to be just basic building parts that covered my hands in stinky, oily grease, which made me thankful for things like hockey sticks and squash/tennis racquets.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

^
Grease? Don't think so.

Anyway thanks for the responses. I know what to get now.

One think about Meccano: after playing with it for years when a kid, now I never confuse right-tight / left-loose whether turning the screw, turning the nut, from in front, from behind, upside-down backwards or in a mirror.