Old 09-17-2019, 09:31 AM

Eh, the Browns won a game that if they hadn't won, it's probably season over. I was not thoroughly impressed. Up next is the Rams in Cleveland on Sunday night, that should be interesting.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:13 AM

The Manning Era is over. The Giants have named Daniel Jones their starting QB.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:24 AM

I remember Daniel Jones. That’s the QB that the Giants picked at #6 that left everyone scratching their heads. Essentially, people said, “You picked this guy?”

Sure, he could be better than everyone thinks but I don’t recall the Giants being that great at finding draft talent. I remember people said that they reached in drafting Eli Apple, and that sure didn’t work out for New York either.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Dug around on Reddit, and apparently this is a weird quirk of the rule change when they moved the extra point back. Since the offense now has to choose which they are going for, they also choose where to apply the penalty. The penalty doesn't apply to both spots. So they put the first penalty on the kick and the second penalty on the 2 point conversion.

The refs actually got it right. Here's an example from last year's rulebook:
Thanks! I was going to start digging, but I now I don't have to. Good work!
Old 09-17-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I remember Daniel Jones. That’s the QB that the Giants picked at #6 that left everyone scratching their heads. Essentially, people said, “You picked this guy?”

Sure, he could be better than everyone thinks but I don’t recall the Giants being that great at finding draft talent. I remember people said that they reached in drafting Eli Apple, and that sure didn’t work out for New York either.
Y'know, apropos of nothing, I once saw some sports show where scouts were discussing prospects. I think it was baseball scouts, but it was instructive. Some of them were giving high marks to "he looks like a ball player...". It's that central casting version of what a ball player should look like. Sure they have to have something in the numbers, they can't be a total waste, but it's almost as if the numbers just aren't really as important if you "look right". Jones fits that bill - if you asked an artist to imagine a young QB, they would draw a picture that looked a lot like Jones.

I think that had a lot to do with his high draft number from NY.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:12 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

The Jets' backup quarterback, Trevor Siemian, who suffered a gruesome ankle injury in last night's game, will likely need surgery, and is out for the year.

The Jets are now down to Luke Falk at quarterback, until Sam Darnold recovers from mononucleosis.

With Falk starting in New York, and Gardner Minshew II starting in Jacksonville, that's two Washington State QBs taking the reins so far this year.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
The Jets' backup quarterback, Trevor Siemian, who suffered a gruesome ankle injury in last night's game, will likely need surgery, and is out for the year.

The Jets are now down to Luke Falk at quarterback, until Sam Darnold recovers from mononucleosis.

With Falk starting in New York, and Gardner Minshew II starting in Jacksonville, that's two Washington State QBs taking the reins so far this year.
My wife went to WSU. She was glad to see QBs from her school starting for teams, and one of them doesn’t even suck.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I mocked the pick at the time. Then he went and looked competent in the preseason. Always have to take that with a grain of salt, but I'd feel a hell of a lot better about having him under center now than watching Eli decay another season in real time and pushing back the start of the Daniel Jones experiment another year.

Last edited by Omniscient; 09-17-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
I mocked the pick at the time. Then he went and looked competent in the preseason. Always have to take that with a grain of salt, but I'd feel a hell of a lot better about having him under center now than watching Eli decay another season in real time and pushing back the start of the Daniel Jones experiment another year.
My wife texted me after she read the news about Eli getting effectively replaced. She told me that Eli could maybe help the new guy out. I said the best thing Eli could do is sit Daniel down, show him some recent film of himself, then state, “Never do any of this.”
Old 09-17-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
My wife texted me after she read the news about Eli getting effectively replaced. She told me that Eli could maybe help the new guy out. I said the best thing Eli could do is sit Daniel down, show him some recent film of himself, then state, “Never do any of this.”
Eli's career stats, thus far:

16 years
232 starts
116-116 record
2 Super Bowls
2 Super Bowl MVPs
362 TDs (8th all-time)
56,537 yards (7th all-time)
Old 09-17-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
My thoughts exactly. I was expecting it to happen no later than their week 11 bye, but also no earlier than week 4 or 5 so week 3 surprised me but I'm good; coach's call.

I'm nervously optimistic solely because of that preseason, but that's kind of like looking great in the senior bowl -- it means nothing -- and the only reason he was drafted is because of how he looked in the senior bowl.

The last two senior bowl MVPs before Jones were also drafted by the Giants, Davis Webb and Kyle Lauletta, and they both suck. But they suck even in preseason, and god damnit Jones actually looked like a real life QB this preseason. I so very much want him to be good.

Looking more closely at the schedule, my ideal handoff would have been Eli starting the first 6 games, ending his tenure as the starter against the Patriots with the week 6 game in New England and then Jones taking over starting with the Cardinals in week 7. But if you don't want to wait that long, week 3 isn't the worst pick.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:30 AM

Why are some NFL players wearing long sleeves in hot weather under the hot sun? Aren't they already at risk of overheating with all the pads?
Old 09-18-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Why are some NFL players wearing long sleeves in hot weather under the hot sun? Aren't they already at risk of overheating with all the pads?
I assume to protect their arms from abrasion?
Old 09-18-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
Eli's career stats, thus far:

16 years
232 starts
116-116 record
2 Super Bowls
2 Super Bowl MVPs
362 TDs (8th all-time)
56,537 yards (7th all-time)
The Eli Manning HOF debate is an interesting one. His best comp is Warren Moon. Here are Moon's numbers.

17 years
203 starts
102-101 record
0 Super Bowls (3-7 Playoff Record)
291 TDs
49,325 Yards

So, I don't know. Different eras. But line up the stats and say "pick one for the HOF."
Old 09-18-2019, 08:24 AM

Eli is a head-scratcher QB. For most of his career he was merely solid, or mediocre. But in two years, 2007 and 2011, he simply absolutely lit it up in a rampage in the playoffs, going a combined 8-0 in the postseason those years. (While still being, again, merely solid/average in the regular season.)
Old 09-18-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Protection from the sun. Protection from abrasion. The material wicks, so it feels at least as cool as bare skin.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Drew Brees is out for awhile too, with thumb ligament surgery pending.
Sigh. My NFL season is effectively over. The Saints have a really tough schedule coming up, without Brees they may not win another game before the 6 weeks is up, And who knows if he'll come back then...
Old 09-18-2019, 02:23 PM

I would love to see Eli traded to either the Jets (he plays in NY!) or Saints (he grew up in Louisiana!) to be the backup until those respective starters come back. Not that he'd be great, but I could see him fulfilling the backup's role of winning 2 out of 6 games just to keep you alive for the starter's return.

EDIT: As of an hour ago, Eli says no: Eli Manning reportedly won't waive his no-trade clause, accepts new role and vows to support Daniel Jones. Ah well. It would have been fun watching him on the Jets. (I don't get to see Saints games unless they're national.)

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 09-18-2019 at 02:26 PM.