Old 07-29-2019, 11:16 AM

I think NB was referring to the outcome of the race itself in those conditions (e.g. Hamilton and Bottas spinning in virtually the same place, but Hamilton just avoiding race-ending damage and Bottas not), rather than betting on its outcome.

Nice to see Vettel managing to actually give other drivers some space this time. Perhaps the recent sanction has had the desired effect. And lucky that Verstappen can't seem to launch his car off the line, otherwise it might have been another dull runaway victory. In all seriousness though, great drives by those two, credit where it's due.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
I assume they race in the rain because they don't want to delay the race until Monday when many people cannot show up? Any other race series race in the rain? NASCAR and Indy car don't race in the rain, don't know about other smaller US race series.
Indycar races in the rain, just not when they're on ovals.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:32 PM

Ok, dumb question time. Watching free practice one today, and the commentators have mentioned the F3 cars running practice earlier on the day. Which brings up a question that's always been on my mind - when another series races on the same weekend, what do the other cars use for pits? Surely the F1 teams don't vacate the pits, so what do the other cars use?
Old 08-03-2019, 03:26 PM

Max gets his first Pole and becomes the 100th driver to sit on Pole.

Dag, it depends on the circuit. I know a couple tracks have second sets of garages, but others do not and in fact used the F1 facilities. Don't know the logistics of it, however. Wish I did...
Old 08-03-2019, 11:23 PM

I've just set up an account on Bovada because I stupidly missed the wager cutoff that my other betting site imposes on Formula 1. Luckily Bovada is not only open later for betting, but also offers FAR more bets on F1 than the site I'd been using, which allows you only to bet to win. Bovada offers almost as much variety for F1 than other sites do for baseball and basketball. You can bet on showings in the top 3, top 6, top 10, you can bet by team, you can bet on who will retire first, on who will have the fastest lap, on a myriad of other things. You can even bet on whether or not the damn safety car will be in the race (!). Just wanted to throw this out there, in case anyone else here cares to wager on these races.

Based on Vettel's surprisingly strong performance last time, I bet on him to win, which would have a large payoff. Safety bet on Hamilton, "first to retire" on Leclerc (another small risk/high-reward wager.)

The "top 6" and "top 10" options, I want to wait until a little later in the season to try. There are some wild cards like Raikkonen who I think has a good chance of cracking the top 6, and Kvyat and Stroll who could muscle into the top 10 if they do even just slightly better in qualifying.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:35 PM

If anyone is still following, the Belgian GP is tomorrow morning.

The track is apparently known for rain. That would make things quite interesting. Hamilton and Vettel have each won it 3 times previously (Vettel most recently last year, and in previous years driving for Red Bull as opposed to Ferrari.) Raikkonen has won it FOUR times, so while he may not have a shot at a win in his Alfa Romeo, his prior experience may at least improve his standing.

Those who have been paying attention will know that Pierre Gasly has been busted down to Toro Rosso, swapping places with Alex Albon. This will be Albon's first time on the track for Red Bull, and hopefully he will perform better than his predecessor did.

More to follow after tomorrow morning...
Old 09-01-2019, 02:50 AM

There’s a bit of a pall about this race, though. Anthoine Hubert, last year’s GP3 champ and twice winner in F2 this year, was killed at the top of Raidillon yesterday. I’m not an alarmist about racing accidents, but in this case I think they need to open up a much larger runoff area there if they don’t want to change the iconic nature of the curve. Cars come over the top blind and at full speed, and the guy who hit him never had a chance to even see it in front of him.

Last edited by Airman Doors, USAF; 09-01-2019 at 02:53 AM.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:52 PM

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKK!!!

I bet on every fuckin' driver BUT LeClerc.

Couldn't believe my eyes when Verstappen tripped over Raikkonen and then hit the wall. BWUAH?!
Old 09-08-2019, 03:45 PM

Just caught up with the Italian GP highlights. Absolutely outrageous that Leclerc wasn't given any penalty for cutting the chicane after a lockup. He missed the apex, took a clearly quicker line through the corner to prevent an otherwise inevitable overtake, and weaved across the following straight. But apparently that's absolutely fine. It's a good job the championship isn't closer because Hamilton was robbed there. Blatant blind eye turning by the stewards to ensure a home win and keep a tiny bit of interest in the sport.

Last edited by Dead Cat; 09-08-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:58 PM

I agree that there should have been a penalty. But I was thrilled to see the on-track fight untainted. Ok, not UNtainted, but not ruined.

Last edited by snfaulkner; 09-08-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:27 PM

The stewards have made a lot of bullshit calls this season, or failed to make them when they should have been made. I don't believe that they are on the level. I suspect corruption of some sort.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:35 PM

I have to agree that it was from a very lenient school of stewarding but hey ho. It was nice that Hamilton wouldn't be goaded into having a go a Leclerc. It is clear he likes the cut of his jib.

The interesting thing for me is that, even on these last two races which are Ferrari nirvana, we've had close races. Hamilton has been all over the back of them when he probably shouldn't be and it has made for a great spectacle.

All change for the next few tracks though. The Ferarri is brutally quick but limited in the size of its comfort zone and I don't think there are any quick fixes for that.

Vettel? I don't know what the heck he is playing at, the lad needs to take a long hard bath with himself.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:25 PM

I've been consistently disappointed by Vettel. I'm not placing any more money on him this season. It was funny to hear Lance Stroll call him an idiot on the radio though.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:24 PM

I was a little more annoyed with the Albon call--yes, he did eventually get a 5 second penalty, but the decision came way late when it didn't matter at all, that should be a trivial "give that spot back now" call.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
I've been consistently disappointed by Vettel. I'm not placing any more money on him this season. It was funny to hear Lance Stroll call him an idiot on the radio though.
Last night I was thinking through my betting strategy for this race and I took a look at the track layout - it had Ferrari written all over it. And I thought long and hard. The odds on Vettel were 9/1. LeClerc was coming off 2 consecutive wins. And he could get cocky. I know I told myself I wouldn't bet on Vettel anymore, but this time I couldn't resist it. Made 2 wagers on Vettel on 2 different sites and placed an additional bet on Ferrari for winning team.

I've never been happier to eat my words.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:03 AM

Happy it worked out for you, Lamoral.

Probably in the minority here, but George Russell when Grosjean is side by side with you just before the apex of the turn, he's likely to somewhere near you at the exit. Almost having a car length on him is just that - almost. You have nothing to complain about. Kimi, on the other hand...
Old 09-23-2019, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
Last night I was thinking through my betting strategy for this race and I took a look at the track layout - it had Ferrari written all over it. And I thought long and hard. The odds on Vettel were 9/1. LeClerc was coming off 2 consecutive wins. And he could get cocky. I know I told myself I wouldn't bet on Vettel anymore, but this time I couldn't resist it. Made 2 wagers on Vettel on 2 different sites and placed an additional bet on Ferrari for winning team.

I've never been happier to eat my words.
Nice move - 9/1 odds is indeed tempting. Much as I dislike him, Vettel proved this weekend that he's too good to write him off just yet.

What are the odds on someone other than Hamilton taking the title? Momentum is all with Ferrari at the moment. It won't take too many more biased stewarding decisions to make the difference.

ETA: that last sentence is in reference to Monza, I'm not aware of anything untoward happening in Singapore. Hamilton was screwed by poor strategy yesterday, I'm not blaming anyone other than Mercedes for that.

Last edited by Dead Cat; 09-23-2019 at 04:27 AM.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
Nice move - 9/1 odds is indeed tempting. Much as I dislike him, Vettel proved this weekend that he's too good to write him off just yet.

What are the odds on someone other than Hamilton taking the title? Momentum is all with Ferrari at the moment. It won't take too many more biased stewarding decisions to make the difference.

ETA: that last sentence is in reference to Monza, I'm not aware of anything untoward happening in Singapore. Hamilton was screwed by poor strategy yesterday, I'm not blaming anyone other than Mercedes for that.
Thing is, Ferrari are only back to where they were at the start of the year. Even in the last three races they've won they are only just staying ahead of Mercedes and Red Bull. I don't expect all tracks to suit them and even if they did Hamilton could potter home, off the podium for all the last 6 races and still win. I don't see that happening.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:16 PM

Congrats Mercedes!

They done did it. 6 doubles. I understand ppl being sick of the same ppl winning all the time, and I agree. But I also like seeing records being threatened and broken. Same issue for the WDC, I'm sick of seeing Hamilton win every weekend, but I love seeing him close in on the records. But seeing Bottas win again ameliorates the ham/Mer monotony, such that it is.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:26 AM

Agreed. As a Hamilton fan I'm happy seeing hi cruise home in the championship. Clearly he is benefitting from driving for the best team out there. But I believe he has also demonstrated he is the most talented driver of his generation, surpassing Vettel and Alonso. And many of his wins have been achieved in a car less dominant than Schumacher enjoyed most of his success in, so I think his achievements compare favourably there, too (plus Schumacher infamously put winning at all costs ahead of safety and reason on at least two occasions - it 'worked' in 1994, not so in 1997).

I think we've done this fairly recently, but I don't think many would find much to argue with if I said the all time great top five is Clark, Fangio, Senna, Hamilton, and Schumacher, probably in that order.

ETA: it will be interesting to see if Mercedes will now let Bottas and Hamilton properly fight it out for the driver's title, and indeed whether Bottas has the pace and consistency to make it a contest. My feeling is not, unless Hamilton has reliability issues, and even then he could probably contain those by virtue of not needing to go at 100% all the time.

Last edited by Dead Cat; 10-14-2019 at 01:29 AM.