Old 03-30-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
The Chicago Tribune ran an op-ed piece yesterday by Kim Foxx, the Cook County State's Attorney, to explain why she dropped the charges.
I don't think it helps. She may have better served herself and the public by remaining silent.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:51 PM

I'm waiting for him to file a lawsuit -- at this point, it honestly would not surprise me.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
The Chicago Tribune ran an op-ed piece yesterday by Kim Foxx, the Cook County State's Attorney, to explain why she dropped the charges.
She is talking out of both sides of her mouth. I don't believe that many people would be upset for a plea deal with a guilty plea in exchange for an alternative sentence. As others have said, this is probably not an act worthy of a penitentiary sentence given his criminal history.

But she fails to explain the outright dismissal of the charges. She cites how people with Class 4 felonies are not sent to jail or prison, but they do plead guilty, accept responsibility, have a criminal record, and more importantly have an alternative sentence by which the judge can enforce terms and conditions to keep the person law-abiding in the near future.

And what is this "non-violent" nonsense? In Chicago I guess I can sell heroin on the street corner and as long as I am peaceful about it, I get the same deal?
Old 03-31-2019, 12:23 AM

Today (Sunday), the American sources of the local (Australian) crazy-right-wing talk channel just shrugged and said "Chicago".
Old 03-31-2019, 02:58 PM

2 systems of justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
No surprise here, rich and famous people have their own special rights when it comes to the judicial system.
Mayor Rahm was shocked, shocked* to discover this observation as a result of this case.

*That’s a reference to the movie Casablanca for those of you under 60.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:06 PM

Chris Rock has revoked Jessie's U.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:06 PM

So are the Nigerians guilty....

So are the Nigerians guilty.... or does Chicago have 2 roaming racists waiting to attack 3rd tiered celebrities, LOL cause if they attack in freezing weather Id imagine they would be out in force once the weather warms Alfonso Ribeiro an Al Roker better be careful if they travel to the Windy city. LOL it is MAGA country
Old 04-01-2019, 03:53 PM

It still sounds like there's a nasty admissibility or something issue. She says so right out. Which could be a lie, but lawyers tend not to outright make up things like that.

Of course, I would expect Rahm and the Chicago Police chief to lie and/or throw the prosecutor under the bus, even if it was a police screw-up that led to the evidence problem.

Again, I think most likely there was no bribe or any corruption. But the amount of attention would make the prosecutor err on the side of not going to trial, where with less publicity they might take their chances even with an evidence problem. Being politically connected isn't a 'get out of jail free' card (well, not all the time), but it is a 'your case gets checked three times for potential issues' card when a poor nobody doesn't get that kind of third-guessing from the prosecutor.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
It still sounds like there's a nasty admissibility or something issue. She says so right out. Which could be a lie, but lawyers tend not to outright make up things like that. ...
She has outright made up a number of things about this case. I have no reason to think she's not continuing that pattern of behavior still.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
She has outright made up a number of things about this case. I have no reason to think she's not continuing that pattern of behavior still.
She stated publicly that she had recused herself. That was not truthful & when called out on it, said she recused herself in the "colloquial sense", not in the legal sense, which of course is total bullshit.

Then she said that lots of class 4 felonies are disposed of in this way, yet despite sending an email out to everyone in her office looking for any other cases that were handled like this one, she came up with nothing.

The fact that she ran on a platform of transparency makes it that much worse. Total corruption. And as others have said, if community service & restitution were part of a plea bargain where he admitted guilt, no one would care, but the fact that justice (or the lack thereof) can be bought if you have the right connections is just offensive to everyone.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:57 PM

I would think that when a group of state lawyers collectively condemn her in public it would be an indicator that some kind of review is in the works.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Chicago to Sue Jussie Smollett After He Refuses to Pay Investigation Costs
Old 04-05-2019, 08:54 AM

My suspicion is that the city botched the initial investigation to the point that rather than go through a farce of a trial and almost certainly lose, they just cut their losses on the criminal side of things.

But civil court doesn't have the same absolute burden of truth that criminal law does. They can still recover a whole lot of that cost from Smollett, if it is found that he was mostly culpable for the whole thing, even if they don't find him entirely culpable.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:16 PM

Really? You think the city botched it, the cops botched it, the DA botched it and then was forced to drop the case because it was flawed?

I think it much more likely the DA chose to let Smollett off with minimal repurcussions (minimal volunteer time, no admission of guilt, sealed records) on either some sense of political expediency via the connections to Michelle Obama or some sense of "black men get screwed by the justice system too often, let's balance the books a little". I don't think the merits or handling had anything to do with it.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:10 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Irishman, honestly, your alternative explanations are ridiculous. Connections to Michelle Obama? Who the hell cares? "Balance the books a little"? What, for the first time in American history?
Old 04-05-2019, 04:33 PM

I haven't seen much evidence to support bump's "botched investigation" theory.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
I haven't seen much evidence to support bump's "botched investigation" theory.
...you don't think that 113 million spent on police misconduct suits in 2018 make a "botched investigation theory" more likely than a conspiracy theory involving Michelle Obama that is supported by no evidence at all?
Old 04-05-2019, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

I'm wondering if they can recover the costs from him, given that the charges were dropped.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I'm wondering if they can recover the costs from him, given that the charges were dropped.
I kind of think this is sort of similar to the whole OJ thing- he was acquitted in the criminal trial (likely due to police and prosecutorial bungling and incompetence), but the family was still able to sue in civil court for wrongful death and win.

I think in this case, the city realized that their criminal trial wasn't going to go so well, but figured they could still recover the costs involved in civil court.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I kind of think this is sort of similar to the whole OJ thing- he was acquitted in the criminal trial (likely due to police and prosecutorial bungling and incompetence), but the family was still able to sue in civil court for wrongful death and win.

I think in this case, the city realized that their criminal trial wasn't going to go so well, but figured they could still recover the costs involved in civil court.
"The city" meaning who specifically? The police and the mayor seem pretty confident that they could have convicted him. The prosecutors stated initially that they could convict him as well and then changed their position after the case was dropped.

The city leadership is very divided on this, so I don't believe we can make any comments that discuss the city's position as a whole.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
I don't get it. Yeah, he spells his name with a u, not an e. His name is Jussie. And it's Chris Rock, not Kris Rock. Is that a respect thing, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Irishman, honestly, your alternative explanations are ridiculous. Connections to Michelle Obama? Who the hell cares? "Balance the books a little"? What, for the first time in American history?

From a previously provided link:
Quote:
Communications released to the Tribune earlier this month showed Foxx had asked police Superintendent Eddie Johnson to turn over the investigation to the FBI after she was approached by a politically connected lawyer about the case.

Foxx reached out to Johnson after Tina Tchen, former chief of staff to first lady Michelle Obama, emailed Foxx saying the actor's family had unspecified "concerns about the investigation." Tchen, a close friend of Mayor Rahm Emanuel's wife, said she was acting on behalf of the "Empire" actor and his family. A relative later exchanged texts with Foxx. A spokeswoman for the office said at the time that Smollett’s relative was concerned about leaks from Chicago police to the media.

Tchen released a brief emailed statement Wednesday, long after her involvement in the case came to light, saying she approached Foxx as a family friend of the Smolletts. She also noted knowing Foxx from unspecified "prior work together."

“My sole activity was to put the chief prosecutor in the case in touch with an alleged victim’s family who had concerns about how the investigation was being characterized in public,” the statement read.

In her approximately 20-minute interview Wednesday, Foxx said she suggested to Johnson that turning the case over to the FBI would clamp down on the leaks and be more efficient. The FBI was already investigating a threatening letter that Smollett had claimed to receive just days before the attack.

During their conversation, Foxx said, Johnson also told her to assure Smollett's family that the actor was a victim. He also expressed frustration with the leaks, she said.
Underlining added to show link to Michelle Obama, as I stated. I'm not saying Obama had anything to do with the decision, but that Tina Tchen used her connections to apply pressure.

As for balancing the books, no, this isn't the first time in American History. OJ took care of that one. But there are plenty of people who are viewing it through that lens, like some of his Empire castmates, or actor Anthony Anderson.

Quote:
Anthony Anderson said he was happy that the charges were dropped and had hoped that Smollett would attend the awards.

“I’m happy for him that the system worked for him in his favor because the system isn’t always fair, especially for people of color," Anderson told Variety.
I can totally see a District Attorney taking race into account in making decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...you don't think that 113 million spent on police misconduct suits in 2018 make a "botched investigation theory" more likely than a conspiracy theory involving Michelle Obama that is supported by no evidence at all?
That is a fair point, though many of those suits were over wrongful death, which doesn't apply here. I'd like to hear what kind of botching the investigation you think might have happened. Especially given the evidence that we did see - all the video of the two brothers procuring supplies, the check, etc.

Quote:
They can bill him, and sue him over refusal to pay, just like any other civil action. If the charges were dropped as part of some plea agreement, that should be in the sealed records, which I would hope would be unsealed to the court to justify the basis for the city of Chicago's claims.

Quote:
That assumes "the city" was acting as one agency. All evidence points that the DA was acting as one agent, and the rest of the city (police department, mayor) are reacting as a second agent.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
I don't get it. Yeah, he spells his name with a u, not an e. His name is Jussie. And it's Chris Rock, not Kris Rock. Is that a respect thing, too?
This was something known as a "joke." Chris Rock--who is something known as a "comedian"--was deriving "humor" from the unusual spelling of Jussie's name.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
That assumes "the city" was acting as one agency. All evidence points that the DA was acting as one agent, and the rest of the city (police department, mayor) are reacting as a second agent.
Maybe Chicago's different, but around here, the District Attorneys are county, while the Mayor and Police Dept. are City.

It's possible that the police did everything right, and the DA decided not to pursue it for reasons unknown to anyone.

So the City then wants their money back for their time and trouble, and decides to go sue Smollett for it.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Maybe Chicago's different, but around here, the District Attorneys are county, while the Mayor and Police Dept. are City.

It's possible that the police did everything right, and the DA decided not to pursue it for reasons unknown to anyone.

So the City then wants their money back for their time and trouble, and decides to go sue Smollett for it.
In this case, it was the State's Attorney (Kim Foxx) who's office was to prosecute Smollett. She is under a firestorm of (justified) criticism, since she publicly stated that she had recused herself since she was contacted by a family member of Smollett's. Then when her office dropped the charges without explanation nor plea bargain, it was revealed that she did not recuse herself after all. And we'll never know the real reason why her office dropped the charges because the file is sealed. Typical Chicago corruption.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Jussie Smollett has just been hammered with a lawsuit the City of Chicago promised ... and he may effectively go on trial for allegedly staging the "attack" in January. All told, the City wants what will almost certainly be upwards of a half a million dollars.
https://www.tmz.com/2019/04/11/jussi...ayment-attack/
Old 04-11-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
I just don't see any reason for there to be a botched investigation. The information about what happened is entirely out in the open. There isn't really anything to botch.

The only things I could see being botched are if the testimony saying they were paid off was found not to be true. But then why would they keep saying that they think he's guilty?

It's not remotely implausible for someone who knows someone else to call in a favor. No, I don't think the Obamas themselves are involved. But he is well connected within the corrupt political machine in Chicago. He's also just rather rich, and friends with the person who exonerated him.

This isn't some massive conspiracy theory that needs a ton of people to keep silent. It just suggests some favors being called in or money exchanging hands.

And, unlike a conspiracy theorist, if someone can provide evidence of something else being wrong, then I'll entertain that idea.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Foxx is in the news again: "thousands of texts and emails" about Smollett have been made public.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
I suspect this is going to end badly for her.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:24 PM

It should. Her handling of this case was completely unprofessional, possibly unethical.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

The two Chicago brothers who claim Jussie Smollett paid them to help stage what police deemed a "hoax" attack filed a defamation lawsuit [today] against the "Empire" actor's lawyers.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 04-23-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Judge Orders Special Prosecutor To Review Handling Of Jussie Smollett Case
Quote:
A judge in Illinois is calling for a special prosecutor to look into how Cook County prosecutors handled the Jussie Smollett case — which began with the Empire actor reporting a hate crime, then saw him arrested for allegedly faking the incident, and finally having all charges against him dropped.

In his order, Cook County Circuit Judge Michael Toomin said "unprecedented irregularities" of the case require an independent counsel to investigate "to restore the public's confidence in the integrity of our criminal justice system."

Depending on the special prosecutor's findings, the disposition of Smollett's case could be nullified, Toomin said, citing the outcomes of similar inquiries.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Jussie Smollett lawyers: Even if actor faked attack, cops didn’t need to investigate it so vigorously

He expected the PD to not be interested? This ain't the Sixties!

Last edited by Skywatcher; 09-04-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

This kind of thing makes my head hurt. Smollett is claiming that he wasn't lying, that it really was a hate crime, and also that the police should not have investigated as much as they did? They should just have shrugged their shoulders when Smollett went on the talk shows and said, "Well, we'll get to it when we can - sorry, but we can't afford to spend that much money."

In a funny way, I can see Smollett's point - I have no doubt whatever that he didn't want the police to investigate enough to find out what really happened.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 09-04-2019, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

When I saw your headline, I thought for sure the link was going to be to The Onion. Hard to believe a legal team would make such an assertion. You know that if the police did not investigate (or give only a cursory investigation) into a supposed hate crime, legal groups and activists and the press, etc. etc. would be all over that as police malpractice or something.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:20 PM

David Chappelle's take on "juicy": https://youtu.be/wZXoErL2124
Old 09-04-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
This kind of thing makes my head hurt. Smollett is claiming that he wasn't lying, that it really was a hate crime, and also that the police should not have investigated as much as they did? They should just have shrugged their shoulders when Smollett went on the talk shows and said, "Well, we'll get to it when we can - sorry, but we can't afford to spend that much money."

In a funny way, I can see Smollett's point - I have no doubt whatever that he didn't want the police to investigate enough to find out what really happened.
It's not a crazy legal argument but I don't think it will work. The city is suing him to recover the cost of his investigation. His lawyers are moving to dismiss the case based on the idea that, under Illinois law, Smollett can only be liable for damages that were foreseeable. The judge will decide the motion to dismiss under the assumption that factual disputes are viewed in the light most favorable to the non-moving party. So, in this case, the judge will have to assume that the city is correct when it says that: Smollett was never attacked, he filed a false police report, and the city spent 1800 hours investigating. Smollett's argument is that it is unforeseeable that the city would investigate a simple, non-fatal, assault for 1800 hours. And really, do you think every time a black man in Chicago is assaulted, the police spend 1800 hours hunting down leads?

Unfortunately for Smollett, it was probably foreseeable that the police would spend a lot more time than normal investigating an inflammatory hate crime against a politically-connected celebrity that received national and international press coverage at a time when Chicago police's apathy to minorities and fecklessness solving crimes are both sources of criticism to the department.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
He expected the PD to not be interested? This ain't the Sixties!
The city wants the money for 1,836 hours of police overtime. So while the police would be expected to investigate the crime why would they need overtime to do it? Jussie was not injured. You just investigate in normal working hours and it takes a few more days to solve...
Old 09-04-2019, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Regards,
Shodan
Then, it seems to me, he shouldn't have filed a police report. He could have done everything exactly the same, except for involving the police. He could have posted all the pictures on instagram, gone on talk shows, held press confrences and whatever else he wanted to do. The police could have answered all questions from the media with a simple "He hasn't filed a police report, we encourage him to come in and speak with one of our detectives so we can locate the individual or individuals responsible for this attack and bring them to justice" and Jussie could have blown off the same question by saying "there weren't any witnesses, no one saw anything, I didn't see any point in reliving it over and over as I have to explain it to every CPD officer that wants to ask the same questions and for what, there never going to find them". He could even claim to have hired a private investigator.

In any case, if he had left the cops out of it, he would have gotten exactly what he wanted and wouldn't have been caught in this mess.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
The city wants the money for 1,836 hours of police overtime. So while the police would be expected to investigate the crime why would they need overtime to do it?
High-profile hate crime:
Quote:
Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
You know that if the police did not investigate (or give only a cursory investigation) into a supposed hate crime, legal groups and activists and the press, etc. etc. would be all over that as police malpractice or something.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:

Regards,
Shodan
I agree with Smollett. I think it's a hate crime to create a fake crime based on race.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Looks like the special prosecutor investigating Foxx's handling of the Smollett case has a conflict of interest.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 10-01-2019 at 04:15 PM.