Old 09-12-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen View Post
You know, I hear stuff like this about quotas all the time - and the number always seems to be around 10-15. Maybe it's an actual problem somewhere- but I have a 15 minute drive to work and on most days, there are at least 15 tickets that could be written on that commute. A cop working a full shift here shouldn't have any problems writing 15 legit tickets.
I've often thought that most places could solve any budget issues by enforcing cellphone while driving laws. I would be shocked if I couldn't write at least 2-3 during each of my 6 minute suburban commutes.

Set up an unmarked car w/ cameras set to video the car next to them, then fall back to video the license plate. Hell - don't even stop - just mail the ticket like redlight cameras. Ka-CHING!
Old 09-13-2019, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen View Post
A cop working a full shift here shouldn't have any problems writing 15 legit tickets.
People act differently when there's a cop around. I had two Taurus SHO's in a row; that front grille looks like po-lice. People got out my way in the left lane they don't when I'm in a Fusion, Mustang, or Expedition. I've got an Explorer on the way. Can't wait to see what happens.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Either that, or they were looking for a specific make/model of vehicle and your vehicle matched the description - that was my thought when you talked about him looking in the back and coming to the passenger side. You had the bad luck to match the description of someone else up to no good...
Happened to me once or twice a few years back on the way to work. "Kids" tearing up farm fields with a pickup of the same color. By the time he got to me in the truck he most likely knew it wasn't me. Two wheel drive S-10s are not really reliable off road trucks. Plus run the plates for an old guy and see the lunch pail on the seat next to me.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:41 AM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Hmmm, been pulled over more times than I can recall. I've even been able to argue with the cop and walk away without so much as a warning once or twice. No, I don't recommend that. The side of the road is a poor place to adjudicate such things for an almost limitless list of reasons. In those cases the cop was so stupid and wrong I couldn't help myself, and I got lucky.

My point being - I've been pulled over at least a hundred times, and been arrested. They approach whatever window they prefer, and almost always have a look around with their flashlight if it's dark. I'd really wonder about the sanity of a cop that didn't. I have never met a cop who was that much of a dickwad over minor ass crap like that, though. I would have almost certainly said something to him about how he can waste his life how he likes, but I resent him wasting part of mine with a ticket that's almost always going to be dismissed.*

In every instance where I've gotten an insurance ticket, it was because I didn't have the current card on me. I've always had insurance. You'd be an idiot to drive like me, and without insurance I would be too. Most cops give up on asking after I've produced the fourth or fifth expired 6-month card from my wallet and just say, "OK, I believe you have insurance." Sometimes I actually find the current one before that. As mentioned before, an honest judge will see this as a "fix it ticket". If you show up with an insurance card that was valid for the date, it's usually dismissed with a small fee (if that). I want to say the last fee I paid for that was $15. Heck, if it were even a medium sized city, you could probably handle it by only talking to the clerk.

So, in my expert traffic scofflaw/perpetrator's opinion you should feel mildly disgusted with this cop over this stop. The bastard was obviously fishing for something, and he suuuuuucks at his job for not finding a truly valid reason to stop you. Because as noted, you could follow anyone for 15 minutes and find a valid reason for stopping them if you really need to. This guy can't even do that. Should you make a complaint? Hmm, I don't know. I don't file complaints about most people I encounter sucking at their jobs, but those folks also aren't entrusted with the state's monopoly on violence. I'd at least look up on how to file a complaint, and consider it. I've never filed a complaint on a cop. Even if I wasn't breaking the law on most of my nonsense stops, the car or I gave off enough of a weirdo vibe that they were justified in stopping me and seeing what was going on just out of healthy curiosity for what was happening on the road. If I was cited, there was a genuine reason for doing it.

*Hey, since I'm also the person who goes "Wow, I said that out loud, huh?", it's better that I actually intend to say something. At least when I mean to say it, it's not my unfiltered subconscious getting control of my language centers and going nuts. That's often exciting, but never pretty
Old 09-18-2019, 03:54 PM

As far as proof of insurance, why not just throw away the old insurance card/document when you put the new one in your glovebox/wallet?
Old 09-18-2019, 05:02 PM

Welcome to the game. For the most part this kind of traffic policing is simply revenue generation and they don't really care if you are "innocent" or not.

I've been playing the police game for many years, you win some, you lose some. If you really care you just get a lawyer to take care of it (always get a local one btw).

As I hang out with a lot of car guys on and go on "drives" with car clubs I've seen some pretty insane stuff. Probably the craziest are the cops my friend has video of who literally did slight u-turns at 60mph to turn around quickly just because they wanted to pull someone over for speeding. These cops all think they are above the law, and when it comes to driving offences they basically are.

Of course my friends also feel they are above the law. For example one time a cop threatened to tow my friends car. He just said "Go ahead, I'll have another car here in an hour." Rich guys, whatcha gonna do lol?

In my state you are now allowed to show a digital proof of insurance on your phone btw. I thought that was cool.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:07 PM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
As far as proof of insurance, why not just throw away the old insurance card/document when you put the new one in your glovebox/wallet?
Because I'm not really an organized person, and it's kind of fun to hand them a bunch of different, almost identical, insurance cards until they get one they like?

Yeah, it wasn't a great plan coming to fruition. It just ended up being part of getting stopped that I find hilarious now. I was actually kind of disappointed when I found the right one on the first try the last time I got stopped. Then the trooper got sputteringly angry when I said I didn't know how fast I was going and then tried to make me try to feel bad for going 20 over, which I found funny as hell. That made up for it.

Last edited by scabpicker; 09-18-2019 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:52 AM

I used to get maybe a ticket a year when I lived in the DC area (7 or 8 total). Since I worked at night, I had plenty of time to fight them in court. Every ticket I fought, I fought successfully (though there were two I didn't bother, I was too obviously in the wrong). I noticed a couple of things:

--Most people who show up to traffic court dress the way they would if they were going to 7-11. Judges appreciate it if you wear a jacket and tie, and it greatly improves your chances of beating a ticket.

--Cops often write something wrong on the ticket, like a wrong address, and they sometimes lose their notebook. One time, while i was waiting for my case to come up, the cop was trying a little too hard to look smug and confident. It was kind of conspicuous. After the judge explained that there was a double-or-nothing penalty for pleading not guilty and being found guilty, I pled guilty and the cop had to admit he lost his notebook and didn't even remember the incident.

Go to traffic court and treat it like a really great game of poker.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:57 PM

We researched what happened to you a while back and your Police officer friend is right.

One other thing, what happened to you happens about 20 times more in low income Black and minority communities. The difference is, people in those communities, most often are driving vehicles that are older and in most cases have citable issues that allow Police Officer to dig more into the lives of the driver and occupants thereby costing them more money and in a few cases unwarranted arrests and or incidents that make the news. It's worse if it is a young Black man driving with his friends and maybe smoking something that is now legal in most states. They somehow will either all get arrested, told to sit on the curbside for about a half hour or worse yet lie face down on the road, handcuffed and thrown into the back of a cruiser and off to the station to be booked and if they did not have a record, now have a record and are KNOWN TO THE POLICE.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
Report the officer? To who?

The local chief of police? Who do you think set that cop's quota?
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
The mayor? The town council, whatever it's called? They're the ones driving the shakedown policy..
Yes. They are also the one's driving the revenue stream train. Not only are you not required to do business in that town but you have an unlimited number of electrons at your disposal to encourage others not to shop there.

If the town's entire revenue stream is tickets then you're out of luck. However, I ran into this issue in a small town and the Major was also the judge. When the officer didn't show up for the nuisance ticket I was called into the judge's office. He put me first on the docket and dismissed it. Privately expressed an intent to deal with the officer for pulling the same stunt before.

As Mayor he was well aware that people came in from out of town to spend money there and this wasn't productive in the long run.

If I was the op and had time I would fight the ticket first by challenging the charge that the plate was not illuminated. I'd question how the officer determined it was insufficiently lit. His "opinion" counts when there is a number attached to it. Not so much if he's just guessing. That's why they have measuring devices for speed, window tint and alcohol content. If the car was in line with other cars when was the plate visible and how far was that from the officer's location. Was the officer's window clean. Prove it.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
I present to you... Mountain View, Colorado.

It's not even out out in the boondocks. Just a 6 block by 2 block chunk of the suburban grid. Annoying as fuck.
Imagine a motorcycle cruise entitled "Mount View Annual Reunion, Ghost-of-Tickets-Past Appreciation Ride". Out of state clubs welcome. June 1st through August 30th. Hours of ride Midnight to 8am.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
Also, if his answer to "So you are pulling me over for a bulb out on my license plate?" was really "Nope... but I now have probable cause", then I'd really think about going down and talking to someone. If he didn't pull you over for speeding and he didn't pull you over for the light, then why did you get pulled over?
Probable cause for what? I really don't get that part.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Probable cause for what? I really don't get that part.
Possibly probable cause to give you a ticket, because you have admitted (more or less) that your bulb was burned out. I doubt he would have probable cause to search your vehicle. Sort of like when they say 'do you know how fast you were going' and you say 'around 70' when the speed limit is 65.

For better or worse, you probably are not going to beat the ticket because the cop said he had probable cause. Unless you recorded the interchange, and the judge really cared about the exact wording used. If they are just generating revenue, they just want the money. Maybe you can bargain it down, maybe not. Maybe it's even an injustice.

It's one of those petty annoyances where they are counting on it being more trouble than it's worth to fight. Pick your battles. As mentioned, it's out of town drivers vs. everyone in town who gets the revenue. Is that unfair? Sort of. Should it happen? Maybe not. Can you do anything about it? Maybe. Go ahead and stand on your rights, if you want. You might even win. But probably not.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 10-01-2019, 01:11 PM

I viewed the cop saying he had probable cause meant the bulb being out gave him cause for the stop.

Last edited by Tom Terrific; 10-01-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Terrific View Post
I viewed the cop saying he had probable cause meant the bulb being out gave him cause for the stop.
The cops don't need probable cause to stop you - just reasonable, articulable suspicion. Which the cop had.

It depends on the state if that would constitute probable cause to arrest. I suppose that is up to the discretion of the cop.

Maybe the cop was just wrong about the correct phrasing, as I might be (IANAL).

But you are probably right, and the cop meant "now you have admitted that the stop was justified because the bulb was burned out".

Regards,
Shodan