Old 09-27-2019, 09:25 AM

Candidate for worst solo ever on any instrument

Great imagination on this one.

In the category of Not Quite Taking Ourselves Seriously, the guitar solo on the Bonzo Dog Band's "Canyons Of Your Mind" remains a favorite.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 09-27-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:30 AM

Well, car horns are notoriously difficult to play.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:24 AM

I vote for the guitar solo on Twisted Sister's "We're Not Gonna Take It." He somehow made that expensive guitar sound like a Casio in a garbage can.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Man, I'm still going to have to give it to the Edge in I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, a song when you listen to it, it... it... it does this:

breaks to the guitar solo part
... you wait...
... you wait some more...
... The Edge, apparently realizing he's on, plays four notes, three of them the same (I think)...
... a pause...
... two notes...
... more pausing...
... three notes...

"I believe in the Kingdom come..."

I mean, yeah, there are worst solos by incompetent guitarists, but still... this was a number 1 song, Edge! You could've tried!

Last edited by JohnT; 09-27-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Man, I'm still going to have to give it to the Edge in I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, a song when you listen to it, it... it... it does this:

breaks to the guitar solo part
... you wait...
... you wait some more...
... The Edge, apparently realizing he's on, plays four notes, three of them the same (I think)...
... a pause...
... two notes...
... more pausing...
... three notes...

"I believe in the Kingdom come..."

I mean, yeah, there are worst solos by incompetent guitarists, but still... this was a number 1 song, Edge! You could've tried!
I never really thought of that part as a guitar solo. It's just a little instrumental break. I'm not sure anything more than that would be appropriate in a song with that vibe.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
I vote for the guitar solo on Twisted Sister's "We're Not Gonna Take It." He somehow made that expensive guitar sound like a Casio in a garbage can.
The tone has always sounded fine to me there for an 80s hair metal song, but the solo itself is just a restatement of the melody, so kind of lazy. I don't hate it (I'm fine with Kurt Cobain doing the same thing in "Smells Like Teen Spirit"), but it leaves something to be desired.

As for the OP, I mean, it's cliché, and I actually don't mind Lil Wayne otherwise, but this infamous guitar solo of his has to qualify.

Last edited by pulykamell; 09-27-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:44 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I’ve always said it was the guitar solo on the Young Fresh Fellows’ cover of The Kinks’ “Picture Book,” which was on their studio album The One’s for the Ladies (1989). Just running up and down a C scale. Possibly meant “ironically.” YFF was a very “ironic” band.

Major excellent video, though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ne_G0zCBHqA

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 09-27-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Yeah, the sound on that was astonishingly minor league. The guitar sounded like a child's toy, one of those little plastic things.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
I’ve always said it was the guitar solo on the Young Fresh Fellows’ cover of The Kinks’ “Picture Book,” which was on their studio album The One’s for the Ladies (1989). Just running up and down a C scale. Possibly meant “ironically.” YFF was a very “ironic” band.

Major excellent video, though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ne_G0zCBHqA
Great band! (I assume you know related acts like The Fastbacks and maybe Flop as well?)

But what part is the guitar solo? It sounds like a pretty straight (but electrified) cover of the Kinks version. They also have that ascending major scale hook. It doesn't sound to me like any irony was involved, but rather quoting the original source material.

Last edited by pulykamell; 09-27-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:22 PM
Sith Mod

Sublime deserves a mention here, no?

"I can play the gui-tar like a motherfucking riot!"

plink plink plonk plink
Old 09-27-2019, 12:34 PM

I saw Foreigner live sometime in the early '80s. Not bad, at all. However, they were playing, "Star Rider," and gave the guy on flute a very long solo. He was either drunk, or high, or asleep. I didn't know the flute could make such awful noise.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:56 PM

The muskrat sounds at the end of Muskrat Love. (if you can call that a solo).
Old 09-27-2019, 01:07 PM

Having seen late career Miles Davis a few times, his solos were......an acquired tasted.

Bleet blep

Blep

Bleet eet

Blep eep

.....and so on.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Sublime deserves a mention here, no?

"I can play the gui-tar like a motherfucking riot!"

plink plink plonk plink
That's more like a fill than a solo... Bradley was a great guitarist.

Johnny's solo for "I Wanna Be Sedated" by the Ramones has to be mentioned here.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

I've always despised the guitar solo in Rush's Lakeside Park.

It's like a guitar solo written and performed by someone who doesn't know how to play the guitar. So awful that when I'd play the CD at my horrible college apartment, I'd keep the remote nearby so I could fast forward through the solo. So awful that when Mrs. Cheesesteak recently put Rush on Spotify, and Lakeside Park played, I steeled myself for the solo, only to find that they recut the song to skip the solo, or I went into a brief fugue state during the solo, which is entirely possible.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky812 View Post
Johnny's solo for "I Wanna Be Sedated" by the Ramones has to be mentioned here.
It's pretty weak as solos go, but then I'd say one of the thinnest books around would be a list of Ramones songs that even have guitar solos. Just wasn't a part of their sound. Sometimes, especially on their later stuff, you might hear a few bars that sound like might break into a solo, but they're just little fills between parts of a song.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBat View Post
It's pretty weak as solos go, but then I'd say one of the thinnest books around would be a list of Ramones songs that even have guitar solos. Just wasn't a part of their sound. Sometimes, especially on their later stuff, you might hear a few bars that sound like might break into a solo, but they're just little fills between parts of a song.
Yeah, much of punk is very much anti guitar solo. That particular “solo” is either just poking fun at the whole guitar solo culture or just a cool sounding instrumental interlude.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
As for the OP, I mean, it's cliché, and I actually don't mind Lil Wayne otherwise, but this infamous guitar solo of his has to qualify.
WTF? Has that guy ever even seen a guitar before?

That's what my five-year-old daughter does when she picks up my guitar.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
That's hysterical! I could play that and I've never picked up a sax in my life. I gotta listen to it again.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:25 PM

Cover of the Rolling Stone by Dr Hook has the guitar player deliberately fucking up the solo.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:30 PM

^ I forget which show I saw them on, but the Dr. reached over and pulled the cord out of the guitar.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

My Pal Foot Foot

Mic drop.

Drumstick drop.

Guitar drop.

Jaw drop. Kent Clark, out.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:54 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Great band! (I assume you know related acts like The Fastbacks and maybe Flop as well?)

But what part is the guitar solo? It sounds like a pretty straight (but electrified) cover of the Kinks version. They also have that ascending major scale hook. It doesn't sound to me like any irony was involved, but rather quoting the original source material.
Ah, shit. It wasn’t “Picture Book,” but another song on the same album. I have to go listen to the whole thing again to get the cite right.

I’m impressed that you know the Young Fresh Fellows. WhenI referenced them before here, people only knew about them from a nod on a They Might Be Giants song.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Ah, shit. It wasn’t “Picture Book,” but another song on the same album. I have to go listen to the whole thing again to get the cite right.

I’m impressed that you know the Young Fresh Fellows. WhenI referenced them before here, people only knew about them from a nod on a They Might Be Giants song.
One of my very good friends was in that whole music scene with YFF, the Fastbacks, Pure Joy, Flop, etc., back in the late 80s/early 90s. (I didn't meet him until the late 90s, though.) So that's kind of how I got introduced to them.

Last edited by pulykamell; 09-27-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
I've always despised the guitar solo in Rush's Lakeside Park.
You despise this solo? I clicked the link to hear it since it's been about 40 years since I can recall listening to this song. It sounds perfectly serviceable to me. I was expecting something dreadful. Hmmmm.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
My Pal Foot Foot

Mic drop.

Drumstick drop.

Guitar drop.

Jaw drop. Kent Clark, out.
I was going to volunteer my own efforts but I can't outdo this.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:28 AM

Interesting how there’s already a disagreement about a Rush solo. I came to the thread to suggest their song “Limelight.” Great song, great guitar work throughout, but Alex Lifeson’s solo just stops the momentum. That’s not always a bad thing, but for me, it’s really bad in this case (the solo gets better towards its end). My favorite YouTuber, Rick Beato, thinks it’s a great solo — a rare example of our tastes diverging.

A similar example is the Jimmy Page solo in Led Zeppelin’s “In the Evening.” A rare error by one of the great guitar solo composers of all time.

Last edited by JKellyMap; 09-30-2019 at 05:33 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flare4roach View Post
You despise this solo? I clicked the link to hear it since it's been about 40 years since I can recall listening to this song. It sounds perfectly serviceable to me. I was expecting something dreadful. Hmmmm.
It could just be me, but it sounds like he's not playing it right. As though he has a vision of a guitar solo but can't make his fingers do it.

I'm confident Alex is in fact playing it correctly, but the way it's written, the pace and transition between notes makes it sound like someone trying to learn a solo.

And now the damnable thing is stuck in my head.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:53 AM

Lilian Roxon, in the Rock Encyclopedia, described Neil Young’s guitar solo in “Down by the River” as like a “full-grown yak choking on a bone.”
Old 09-30-2019, 06:06 AM

Kent Clark, the Shaggs — fascinating! A bit Captain Beefheart, a bit Velvet Underground, not as musically competent as these contemporaries, but haunting and prescient — paving the way for Sonic Youth and so much more, decades later.

I also dug Icarus’ characterization of Miles Davis’ style. Zen cool.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Lilian Roxon, in the Rock Encyclopedia, described Neil Young’s guitar solo in “Down by the River” as like a “full-grown yak choking on a bone.”
How could a herbivorous yak be choking on a bone?

Last edited by Two Many Cats; 09-30-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
How could a herbivorous yak be choking on a bone?
Heh! Roxon suffered from asthma, and died from it in 1973 — maybe “asthmatic yak” (band name!) would have hit too close to home.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBat View Post
Quote:
Yeah, much of punk is very much anti guitar solo. That particular “solo” is either just poking fun at the whole guitar solo culture or just a cool sounding instrumental interlude.
Yes and no.

I've played guitar for 40 years, and I studied Johnny's style. He was almost exclusively a rhythm guitarist and only used downstrokes. He disliked long intricate guitar solos and as the only guitar in the Ramones, their style, sound and speed did not allow for guitar breaks anyway. He admitted himself that he never really learned how to play them.

If you know the Ramones history, Road to Ruin was their first album to include songs with guitar solos, ballads... and new drummer Marky.

The 8-bar solo of 8th notes was definitely deliberate but the intent is vague. It may have been a poke at guys like Van Halen or possible just Johnny being lazy and/or defiant with the rest of the band and Ed Stasium.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky812 View Post
Yes and no.

I've played guitar for 40 years, and I studied Johnny's style. He was almost exclusively a rhythm guitarist and only used downstrokes. He disliked long intricate guitar solos and as the only guitar in the Ramones, their style, sound and speed did not allow for guitar breaks anyway. He admitted himself that he never really learned how to play them.

If you know the Ramones history, Road to Ruin was their first album to include songs with guitar solos, ballads... and new drummer Marky.

The 8-bar solo of 8th notes was definitely deliberate but the intent is vague. It may have been a poke at guys like Van Halen or possible just Johnny being lazy and/or defiant with the rest of the band and Ed Stasium.
Whatever the intent, I think it sounds great!

Last edited by pulykamell; 09-30-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
It could just be me, but it sounds like he's not playing it right. As though he has a vision of a guitar solo but can't make his fingers do it.

I'm confident Alex is in fact playing it correctly, but the way it's written, the pace and transition between notes makes it sound like someone trying to learn a solo.

And now the damnable thing is stuck in my head.
I had never heard the song before, but I don't think it's sounds all that bad. It definitely does sound jagged, though, almost like what you might expect out of a post-punk guitar solo. I also think the mixing of that solo is a bit too dry and up front or something like that. I'm not entirely sure how to phrase it. (I know it's a solo, so supposed to be up-front, but it does sound a bit abrupt and apart from the mix to me.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 09-30-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:30 PM

I'll look in he other direction. The BEST instrumental solo ever... is any piano performance of John Cage's 4'33".

Then there was the bluegrass mandolinist who bragged to his bandmates that he could play 32nd notes. "Okay shithead, show us!" So he played one.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:29 PM

Regarding the clip in the OP, Shazam identifies it as "The Jones Girl (Take 2)" by the Five Satins. I listened to the track not labeled "Take 2," and it is vastly superior. The sax solo starts 55 seconds in.

I have no idea why somebody thought it was a good idea to release Take 2. (I didn't find that one on YouTube, but both versions are available on Apple Music, should you wish to compare for yourself.)
Old 10-01-2019, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
It seems exceedingly unlikely that Roxon wrote that. By the time the song was released (May 1969), the book was already done and was waiting to be published (the last Beatles album listed is Yellow Submarine from 2/69).

The comment seems very un-Roxon-like, who did not talk about specific songs and was not negative. Further, my edition (from 1971) has no entry for either Neil Young or Crazy Horse.

If it was in the 1977 edition, that was published after Roxon's death, so she couldn't have said it.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:25 PM

I vote for CC DeVille’s guitar solo in Unskinny Bop. The juxtaposition between the screechy scratchy mess of a solo and the overblown theatrics is hilarious. Ain’t no amount of fireworks gonna save THAT piece of garbage.

https://youtu.be/Xk5y4wvsLyY

It starts at around 3:30