Old 10-04-2019, 11:28 AM

Walker Evans' Photo of Saratoga Springs, NY - Actual Address

Does anyone know the address in Saratoga Springs where this photo was taken?

Thanks.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Definitely Broadway. The little street heading off to the left is Phila Street, so I'd guess it was the building on the south side of Division Street. Probably 395 Broadway, though the building currently there was not built when the photo was taken.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 10-04-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Definitely Broadway. The little street heading off to the left is Phila Street, so I'd guess it was the building on the south side of Division Street. Probably 395 Broadway, though the building currently there was not built when the photo was taken.
Thanks so much. I brought up Saratoga Springs on google maps, couldn't find Main St but saw Broadway, but thought it prudent just to come here.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

I grew up near Saratoga Springs and I'm at a loss. Saratoga Springs doesn't have a Main Street. It has a main street, but it's called Broadway, and is a good deal wider than the one in the photo. Broadway currently has two travel lanes in each direction with a parking lane on each side, so is a total of six lanes wide. Many of the buildings lining Broadway have certainly been there since before the photograph was taken, so I don't think any significant widening of the street can have occurred.

North Broadway, which is what Broadway becomes north of Van Dam street is narrow enough to match the photo, but is largely residential, and single family homes at that.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

No, it's clearly Broadway looking south. You can see Phila on the left, and buildings of the corner of Phila is pretty much unchanged. Across from it, you can see the colonnade/porch of the Adelphi Hotel.

Note the two cars aimed at the camera. The road is at least three lanes wide in the picture, and you can add an additional lane with the change from head-in parking to parallel parking.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
No, it's clearly Broadway looking south. You can see Phila on the left, and buildings of the corner of Phila is pretty much unchanged. Across from it, you can see the colonnade/porch of the Adelphi Hotel.

Note the two cars aimed at the camera. The road is at least three lanes wide in the picture, and you can add an additional lane with the change from head-in parking to parallel parking.
Yeah, I think you're right. The diagonal parking of those furlong length cars obscured the width of the roadway, and they were able to steal some of that wide sidewalk for the parking lanes. I stand corrected.