View Poll Results: Do You Like The Taste Of Wild Game?
I've never eaten wild game, that I'm aware of. 6 5.77%
It's disgusting. 13 12.50%
I can take it or leave it. 45 43.27%
I love it and eat whatever my hunter friends/ family bring to me. 31 29.81%
I love it and I hunt it myself. 9 8.65%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2019, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Venison is good. Gator tail tasted like an uncanny valley mixture of chicken and fish if my memory serves.

Wild fish is too varied to draw any generalizations for me.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Gator tail tasted like an uncanny valley mixture of chicken and fish if my memory serves.
As do frogs' legs. I once had a girlfriend who would order these at the Chinese restaurant we went to on Valentine's Day, along with a platter of tofu swimming in hot pepper oil. Yeccch!
Old 10-03-2019, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

I've had them as well and I actually like them but I don't think the ones I had were wild. My experience was that they were more of a less-flavorful and more tender chicken and I don't recall any fishy hint in mine. I think it was probably the way they were raised and the diet or maybe the species. At any rate, even though they are much better than chicken IMO pound for pound, I still wouldn't order them again because they are also much more expensive pound for pound. (I guess maybe if they sold a frog leg for like a buck as an appetizer I might splurge for one again.)
Old 10-03-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
My experience was that they were more of a less-flavorful and more tender chicken and I don't recall any fishy hint in mine. I think it was probably the way they were raised and the diet or maybe the species.
FWIW, the restaurant was in Moscow. I don't know if the frogs' legs were imported or locally sourced (I suspect the latter).

They didn't taste bad, just ... different.

Last edited by terentii; 10-03-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:23 PM

I started a thread here years ago about this. I was freaking bombarded by people telling me I'd never had it cooked right.

Fuck no, I don't care, I ain't eating it.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:18 AM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
FWIW, the restaurant was in Moscow. I don't know if the frogs' legs were imported or locally sourced (I suspect the latter).

They didn't taste bad, just ... different.
I find frog leg is like a rubbery-texture bite feel, and tastewise like chicken with a tiny tiny dab of some sort of fish, maybe sardine oil? Not overly fond if them but enough garlic OK to eat if I am being polite. I think snake tastes pretty much exactly like chicken with a slightly different texture, not really rubbery more spongy.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:14 AM

It's disgusting. I wanted to like it. I expected to like it. I don't like it. I've had venison in Illinois, Montana and Wyoming. Gamy, no matter what it had eaten, how it was aged, how it was cooked. Have also had elk, pheasant, grouse, game hens, and partridge. All gross.

Common scenario: I am dutifully trying not to make my Soylent-Green-is-People face while eating gamy spaghetti/chili/sausage/salami.
Host, grinning slyly: What do you think of the spaghetti/chili/sausage/salami?
Me: It's, um, OK.
Host, smugly: That's elk! Toldja I could cook elk so it wasn't gamy! Didn't suspect a thing, huh?
Me, trying to quietly snap my fingers to summon the dog: Ha-ha. Look at that! All gone!

I'm with Beck. The only meat I like is the kind born in styrofoam trays. I do view my fussy taste as a failing, but that doesn't mean I'm going to change it.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
I started a thread here years ago about this. I was freaking bombarded by people telling me I'd never had it cooked right.
That's unfortunate.

Wild game does have a stronger flavor than domestic meat. For some of us, that's a good thing. For other people it isn't, regardless of whether they just don't like the flavor or they don't like the intensity of the flavor or both

You like what you like and don't like what you don't like.

It's like the argument about chicken meat white vs. dark. People have their preferences and if you don't like one or the other that's just your taste, and as we all know de gustibus non est disputandum.

I went through a few years when calamari was trendy around here. I tried it a whole bunch of different ways and concluded... I don't like calamari. It wasn't the way it was cooked, it was that I didn't like squid. Lots of people feel the same way about venison or whatever. It you don't like it you don't like it, and that's fine with me.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:20 AM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Dang, I'd forgotten about frog's legs counting as wild game. Those are great. Maybe I can convince the wife to go out for dinner tonight.

Though, when I order those, I have to endure a little pouting while she envisions the frogs rolling around in wheelchairs. She knows that's not happening, but the cartoons still come to mind.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Generally don't care much for it. OTOH, we ate off a moose my roommate bagged for quite a long time. It made great chili and amazing BBQ ribs!
Moose can be delicious. Especially in stew.

I know this because my wife is from Newfoundland, and when there, I've eaten, with her extended family, moose.

Also tur (a game bird).

All delicious.

And then there's seal. Not good at all.

And back here in the Northeast US, venison and various game birds. There's also a very good local restaurant that specializes in game in the fall. They have a wider selection -- they'll bring in meat from around the country.

And I've eaten a bunch of game in Africa. Some good, even great, some, well, when in Rome, etc., but not good.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
Also tur (a game bird).
I have never eaten turr, because the smell of it cooking is absolutely horrifying. I couldn't even be in the house when nan was cooking it for dad.

You've reminded me, though, that I have had seal (only once), and I disagree with you - it's a bit oily, but not bad at all.