Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2019, 06:27 PM

It's Vacation Time!

Okay, so I've recently come into some money and having not even been in an airplane for some ten years I've decided that I'm due for a vacation some time after Christmas. But what to do?

I can, in theory, go where I want for the space of two or maybe three weeks. I've been thinking about a cruise to Barbados and environs over the course of ten days. My vacations have generally involved 40 pounds of gear in a backpack so it would be nice to experience something different in a place I've never been. I've always fancied spending 3-5 days going into then coming back out of the Grand Canyon, but I don't know about doing so alone in that sort of environment; desert camping is completely foreign to me.

Rome tempts me but I understand the crowds are a killer, and I wouldn't mind seeing London again but I don't think I could make a two week vacation of England in the winter. It might make for a good three-day stopover before moving on, though. What's the best time of year for a cruise through the Greek Isles?

Is Hawaii bonkers expensive? I have the resources to put together a hiking vacation and could stay on the cheap, but what does a lazy vacation there cost?

Exotic and comfortable more than luxurious and decadent is what I have in mind. I think five grand is quite a lot to spend on a vacation, and ten grand feels like class treason. On the other hand, I've always wanted to summit Kilimanjaro. I can travel comfortably in hostels and pensiones but I don't necessarily need to.

Any bright ideas?