Old 10-01-2019, 09:49 PM

Soccer rules q

So I'm watching goals from Euro2008....and Ruud Van Nisterooy scores but he's miles offsides.

However there is an injured defender lying off the field behind the goal. Surely that guy didn't count for purposes of offsides??
Old 10-01-2019, 10:26 PM

He counts and the goal counts because he left the field in the run of play after running into his own player (specifically, his keeper). Nowadays, I believe the current guidance is that the ref should stop play if they think the player is seriously injured; otherwise, play on and the defender counts for offside.

BBC "You Are The Ref":
https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/euro2008...f_special.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...08/7445476.stm

ETA: If the player had been receiving treatment after being helped off by trainers, then he definitely wouldn't count for offside purposes.

Last edited by Kimble; 10-01-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimble View Post
He counts and the goal counts because he left the field in the run of play after running into his own player (specifically, his keeper). Nowadays, I believe the current guidance is that the ref should stop play if they think the player is seriously injured; otherwise, play on and the defender counts for offside.

BBC "You Are The Ref":
https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/euro2008...f_special.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...08/7445476.stm

ETA: If the player had been receiving treatment after being helped off by trainers, then he definitely wouldn't count for offside purposes.
Only on The Dope could I get an answer SPECIFICALLY to the 11 year old goal I'm asking about!
Old 10-03-2019, 09:18 AM

Both of the references Kimble give make it sound like the fact that the defender left the field after contact with a member of his own team is critical to the decision.

Is it? Would the ruling have been different if the defender had been injured by contact (incidental contact, let's stipulate - warranting no foul call) with a Dutch player?

Last edited by brad_d; 10-03-2019 at 09:18 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 10-06-2019, 05:54 AM

The rules do not make that distinction.

If this situation was not play on, defenders could trip the “offside trap” by running off the field behind their own goal.

The reference that the player was injured by a collision with a team mate just makes it clear they were not injured due to a foul.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:12 AM

Not an answer to your question, but please note for the future there is no such thing as "offsides" as a single incident. The term is "offside". It baffles me how many people get this wrong.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavera View Post
Not an answer to your question, but please note for the future there is no such thing as "offsides" as a single incident. The term is "offside". It baffles me how many people get this wrong.
In American Football there is a type of penalty called “offsides”, so we sometimes mix them up.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
In American Football there is a type of penalty called “offsides”, so we sometimes mix them up.
That violation is called "offside" in American football as well.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penultima thule View Post
The rules do not make that distinction.

If this situation was not play on, defenders could trip the “offside trap” by running off the field behind their own goal.

The reference that the player was injured by a collision with a team mate just makes it clear they were not injured due to a foul.
I did actually write one of those "Ask a ref sites" about a number of things once:

Tuck the ball under your shirt or another players shirt and run down the field. (Unpsortmanlike. Yellow)

Hang from the crossbar (as a field player) to clear a ball off the line with your head or legs. (Unsportsmanlike. Yellow and i believe PK)

Run off the field to dodge an offside call or create a trap. (Leaving the field without permission. Yellow and i doubt its a PK) He never said anything about a defender doing that is still in play for offside purposes, but clearly he is as seen earlier in the thread
Old 10-07-2019, 02:23 AM

For what it's worth, that was kind of a big game. First goal against then World Champions Italy, followed by two great goals by Sneijder and v. Bronckhorst.

Back then a lot of people thought it was offside as well...I certainly did, but I think that anyone watching that game will have remembered the rule from then onward.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn moto g(6) met Tapatalk