#1  
Old 10-01-2019, 09:49 PM
Dale Sams is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,172

Soccer rules q


So I'm watching goals from Euro2008....and Ruud Van Nisterooy scores but he's miles offsides.

However there is an injured defender lying off the field behind the goal. Surely that guy didn't count for purposes of offsides??
  #2  
Old 10-01-2019, 10:26 PM
Kimble's Avatar
Kimble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 504
He counts and the goal counts because he left the field in the run of play after running into his own player (specifically, his keeper). Nowadays, I believe the current guidance is that the ref should stop play if they think the player is seriously injured; otherwise, play on and the defender counts for offside.

BBC "You Are The Ref":
https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/euro2008...f_special.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...08/7445476.stm

ETA: If the player had been receiving treatment after being helped off by trainers, then he definitely wouldn't count for offside purposes.

Last edited by Kimble; 10-01-2019 at 10:27 PM.
  #3  
Old 10-01-2019, 10:31 PM
Dale Sams is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimble View Post
He counts and the goal counts because he left the field in the run of play after running into his own player (specifically, his keeper). Nowadays, I believe the current guidance is that the ref should stop play if they think the player is seriously injured; otherwise, play on and the defender counts for offside.

BBC "You Are The Ref":
https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/euro2008...f_special.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...08/7445476.stm

ETA: If the player had been receiving treatment after being helped off by trainers, then he definitely wouldn't count for offside purposes.
Only on The Dope could I get an answer SPECIFICALLY to the 11 year old goal I'm asking about!
  #4  
Old 10-03-2019, 09:18 AM
brad_d is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Long Beach, California
Posts: 1,888
Both of the references Kimble give make it sound like the fact that the defender left the field after contact with a member of his own team is critical to the decision.

Is it? Would the ruling have been different if the defender had been injured by contact (incidental contact, let's stipulate - warranting no foul call) with a Dutch player?

Last edited by brad_d; 10-03-2019 at 09:18 AM. Reason: formatting
  #5  
Old 10-06-2019, 05:54 AM
penultima thule is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,100
The rules do not make that distinction.

If this situation was not play on, defenders could trip the “offside trap” by running off the field behind their own goal.

The reference that the player was injured by a collision with a team mate just makes it clear they were not injured due to a foul.
  #6  
Old 10-06-2019, 07:12 AM
Calavera's Avatar
Calavera is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 52
Not an answer to your question, but please note for the future there is no such thing as "offsides" as a single incident. The term is "offside". It baffles me how many people get this wrong.
  #7  
Old 10-06-2019, 07:35 AM
Jackknifed Juggernaut is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lenni Lenape Land
Posts: 5,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavera View Post
Not an answer to your question, but please note for the future there is no such thing as "offsides" as a single incident. The term is "offside". It baffles me how many people get this wrong.
In American Football there is a type of penalty called “offsides”, so we sometimes mix them up.
__________________
"That's right. Even my feet have balls." Stephen Colbert 9/28/10
  #8  
Old 10-06-2019, 04:55 PM
Ponch8 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
In American Football there is a type of penalty called “offsides”, so we sometimes mix them up.
That violation is called "offside" in American football as well.
  #9  
Old 10-06-2019, 08:47 PM
Dale Sams is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by penultima thule View Post
The rules do not make that distinction.

If this situation was not play on, defenders could trip the “offside trap” by running off the field behind their own goal.

The reference that the player was injured by a collision with a team mate just makes it clear they were not injured due to a foul.
I did actually write one of those "Ask a ref sites" about a number of things once:

Tuck the ball under your shirt or another players shirt and run down the field. (Unpsortmanlike. Yellow)

Hang from the crossbar (as a field player) to clear a ball off the line with your head or legs. (Unsportsmanlike. Yellow and i believe PK)

Run off the field to dodge an offside call or create a trap. (Leaving the field without permission. Yellow and i doubt its a PK) He never said anything about a defender doing that is still in play for offside purposes, but clearly he is as seen earlier in the thread
  #10  
Old 10-07-2019, 02:23 AM
polar bear is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,115
For what it's worth, that was kind of a big game. First goal against then World Champions Italy, followed by two great goals by Sneijder and v. Bronckhorst.

Back then a lot of people thought it was offside as well...I certainly did, but I think that anyone watching that game will have remembered the rule from then onward.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn moto g(6) met Tapatalk
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017