Old 10-04-2019, 02:54 PM

Actor in "Hail Caesar!"

In Hail Caesar!, There's a scene with the studio head giving a handsome blonde actor a talking to for being photographed making out with another guy. I get the impression that this was a reference to Tab Hunter, but I forget the name of the character. IMDB lists a part of "Jason West" but I don't know if that's the one.

Do you guys know?
Old 10-06-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno-Toad View Post
In Hail Caesar!, There's a scene with the studio head giving a handsome blonde actor a talking to for being photographed making out with another guy. I get the impression that this was a reference to Tab Hunter, but I forget the name of the character. IMDB lists a part of "Jason West" but I don't know if that's the one.

Do you guys know?
I have a DVD, and went through it twice ó varying between regular speed and double time scan ó and didnít notice that scene either time. Maybe thereís an extended version out there. But then I also didnít notice a Jason West in the cast and crew list on IMDB, so my powers of apprehension may be weak.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:02 PM

"Jason West" does appear on IMDb on the 'extended' page. It's an uncredited role by a Matthew William Jones: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm5810131/...tfc_fc_cl_t153

No photos there, and the name is common enough that Images on a Google search for the name include a variety of men of differing ages. IMDb says "born in 1996" for this one, though, so he'd be right for a young Tab Hunter-type role.

eta: I haven't seen Hail Caesar for a while, but: wasn't the Channing Tatum character both blond, and involved with a man (the Ralph Fiennes director character)? was the scene mentioned in the OP related to Tatum?

Last edited by Sherrerd; 10-06-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
(...)

eta: I haven't seen Hail Caesar for a while, but: wasn't the Channing Tatum character both blond, and involved with a man (the Ralph Fiennes director character)? was the scene mentioned in the OP related to Tatum?
Since I didnít notice such a scene ó and am not up for going through the film again ó I read a few articles that seemed relevant. They dealt with the real-life sources for the filmís scandals, and how Hail Caesar! dealt with Hollywood homosexuality of that time. There were no mentions of a scene like the one described in the original post.

One interesting assertion in an article was that when Josh Brolin was talking to the European director who was Probably the father of Scarlet Johanssonís unborn child, the director propositions Brolin by asking him if he enjoys Physical Culture. The director is holding up a skiing magazine as he asks the question. That sounds possible, although it had just been revealed that the director had a wife and two children back in Europe, and the question about Physical Culture was not asked in a probing or seductive way. (The articleís writer also confused that European director with the Ralph Fiennes character, Laurence Laurentz.)
Old 10-07-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
"Jason West" does appear on IMDb on the 'extended' page. It's an uncredited role by a Matthew William Jones: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm5810131/...tfc_fc_cl_t153

No photos there, and the name is common enough that Images on a Google search for the name include a variety of men of differing ages. IMDb says "born in 1996" for this one, though, so he'd be right for a young Tab Hunter-type role.

Channing was in the sailor-themed musical number. And of course was the commie who met the submarine. But I don't remember it being him getting dressed down by the studio exec. I could be wrong.