Old 07-15-2019, 10:48 PM

In this recent installment, Faux strives to convince the reader that CNN ran a piece some while back which “glorified” the individual who was killed by police while throwing incendiary devices at buses in the ICE detention center parking lot. Glorified him because there is a brief glimpse of him around the 4-minute mark.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:05 AM
Mod Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear View Post
Hope you're sitting down...
I am not surprised that a Fox and Friends employee was pandering his other business on the show, (or that that business might have been dishonest).
I would still tend to leave personal peccadilloes out of this thread, but that is a personal view and not the view of a Moderator.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:09 AM
Mod Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
https://www.mediamatters.org/video/2...e-said-/224213
Quote:
Fox's Katie Pavlich defends Trump's racist tweets: "He didn't say go there permanently. He said go there, fix the problem, come back."
Well, that explains it. Trumps massive ignorance of Geography simply prevented him from realizing that they were already doing exactly what he told them to do: trying to fix the problems in the country from where they originated.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb View Post
I am not surprised that a Fox and Friends employee was pandering his other business on the show, (or that that business might have been dishonest).
I would still tend to leave personal peccadilloes out of this thread, but that is a personal view and not the view of a Moderator.
The title is "Is Fox News really all that bad?" So, when it's revealed that a F&F host... one who marketed his investment firm on the show itself, thereby potentially duping the networks own viewers... was recently arrested for financial fraud, I think it fits the confines of the thread.

In fact, this is not just another tick in the "yes" column, it's a new kind of fucked-upness, right? Even for Fox? Has any other host marketed an (alleged) financial fraud on Fox News viewers for the host's own personal benefit?

Last edited by JohnT; 07-16-2019 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
The title is "Is Fox News really all that bad?" So, when it's revealed that a F&F host... one who marketed his investment firm on the show itself, thereby potentially duping the networks own viewers... was recently arrested for financial fraud, I think it fits the confines of the thread.

In fact, this is not just another tick in the "yes" column, it's a new kind of fucked-upness, right? Even for Fox? Has any other host marketed an (alleged) financial fraud on Fox News viewers for the host's own personal benefit?
Isn’t this the Fox News business plan? Pushing frauds and lies for their own personal profit? It’s why the network was started by Rupert Murdoch, isn’t it?

Was Bill O’Reilly doing something different? Glenn Beck? Tucker Carlson? Gretchen Carlson? Megyn Kelly?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-16-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Selling books and subscriptions is, imho, a different animal than pushing an investment scam.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:14 PM

Scams are what the right wing is all about. Hocking vitamins and wrist magnets and gold and bad real estate and books with lies and bad investment schemes is what they all do all the time. Have you forgotten about privatizing Social Security? Or about Independence USA?

ETA: Fox News itself is just a big scam.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-16-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:36 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Scams are what the right wing is all about. Hocking vitamins and wrist magnets and gold and bad real estate and books with lies and bad investment schemes is what they all do all the time. Have you forgotten about privatizing Social Security? Or about Independence USA?

ETA: Fox News itself is just a big scam.
Let's not forget the entire supplement industry is unregulated due to Orrin Hatch's desire to enrich himself and family.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Let's not forget the entire supplement industry is unregulated due to Orrin Hatch's desire to enrich himself and family.
Sortition now.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:12 AM
Charter Member

Representative Omar made a public statement on President Trump this week:

This is a president who has said 'grab women by the pussy.' This is a president who has called black athletes 'sons of bitches.' This is a president who has called people who come from black and brown countries 'shitholes.' This is a president who has equated neo-Nazis with those who protest against them in Charlottesville.

The Fox headline for the story: Ilhan Omar delivers heated, profanity-laced attack on Trump.

Gee, that's not at all misleading.

Fox acted in their usual fashion; after leaving the headline up for a few hours for everyone to read, they changed it so they could pretend the original was a "mistake".
Old 07-19-2019, 02:25 AM

By definition, the words 'pussy', 'bitches', and 'shit, when said by Donald J Trump are sacred.

CMC fnord!
Old 07-28-2019, 01:25 AM
Charter Member

Today, rest of media: President Trump ripped Rep. Elijah Cummings and the city, calling it “a disgusting, rat and rodent infested mess.”

Fox news:Bernie Sanders blasted Baltimore as ‘Third World country’ and ‘disgrace’ in past comments (2015 news)
Old 08-01-2019, 01:11 PM

So comparing coverage of the Garlic festival shooting, I notice that just about every other news organization pointed to the Instagram posts posited to belong to the shooter as having included praise for a white supremacist publication. His Intagram postings are mentioned nowhere in any of the Fox stories. Although some of the comments note that he claimed to be of Italian and IRANIAN ancestry on Instagram.

Now I suppose it is possible that Fox News is just exercising remarkable journalistic restraint and due diligence, by not jumping to any rash conclusions given that it hasn't been proven that Intagram poster is the same person as the shooter, but somehow I doubt it.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
So comparing coverage of the Garlic festival shooting, I notice that just about every other news organization pointed to the Instagram posts posited to belong to the shooter as having included praise for a white supremacist publication. His Intagram postings are mentioned nowhere in any of the Fox stories. Although some of the comments note that he claimed to be of Italian and IRANIAN ancestry on Instagram.
Funnily enough, if you look in the thread here about the shooting there is a poster who also played up the IRANIAN part and is vigorously downplaying the whole "white supremacist" thing.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:29 PM

Brian Kilmeade has pretty much been an open white supremacist for years -- most recently insisting that Hispanic migration is an "invasion", but as far back as '09 he lamented that Americans “keep marrying other species and other ethnics”, unlike the Swedes and Finns who have “pure genes” and a “pure society” because they only marry each other.

What a worthless racist piece of shit. No wonder he has a long-term home on Fox.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 08-06-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
but as far back as '09 he lamented that Americans “keep marrying other species and other ethnics”, unlike the Swedes and Finns who have “pure genes” and a “pure society” because they only marry each other.
Sorry, did not get to that point because that clip was aggressively retarded before it even got there and I just had to shut it down. Kind of like reverse ADHD - I intuitively know my limited attention span is entirely wasted on this shit.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Americans “keep marrying other species
Do they call me Tony the bridge builder? NO!
Old 08-07-2019, 10:26 AM

Lies, damn lies, and media: Right-wing repetition of debunked narratives reshapes reality
Old 08-09-2019, 12:11 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Americans “keep marrying other species ..."
I think that's only in Tennessee and some parts of Mississippi and Georgia.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:49 PM

Appeals court sides with Seth Rich’s family as lawsuit against Fox News proceeds

"On May 10, in order to bring the untrue story to publication, Butowsky and Zimmerman called Wheeler “to falsely inform him that they had developed an FBI source supposedly confirming” that Seth had been in contact with WikiLeaks. Id. ¶ 69. Then Zimmerman and Butowsky began to put pressure on Wheeler to go on the record as a named source for the Seth‐WikiLeaks story. On May 14, Zimmerman informed Wheeler that President Trump wanted her article published “immediately.”"

"Yet, Fox News instructed Zimmerman to keep those false statements in the article. Moreover, over the following week,
various Fox News reporters, by leveraging Wheeler’s connection to the Riches,
frequently commented on the story and spread it widely."

"We have no trouble concluding that—taking their allegations as true—the Riches plausibly alleged what amounted to a campaign of emotional torture. In order to publish a knowingly false article accusing Seth of leaking the DNC emails, Butowsky and Zimmerman needed a reliable source. They settled on a purportedly independent investigator, hired by the Riches. But they had to fabricate that source."

"Because Fox News and Zimmerman concede in their brief that the pleadings plausibly allege that the Seth‐WikiLeaks articles contained false factual statements, and because the Riches sufficiently allege actual malice, nothing more is needed at this stage."

2nd Circuit Ruling

The Richs may never win their case, but the facts are pretty fucking damning against FoxNews.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:23 PM
Mod Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I think that's only in Tennessee and some parts of Mississippi and Georgia.
I think you missed Alabama and parts of Florida.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:01 AM

This is shit that you see in North Korea.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb View Post
I think you missed Alabama and parts of Florida.
Have you ever seen a Florida panther?! Hubba-hubba!
Old 09-20-2019, 10:10 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkrapine View Post
Have you ever seen a Florida panther?! Hubba-hubba!
I've heard there are some cougars there.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

“IT’S MANAGEMENT BEDLAM”: MADNESS AT FOX NEWS AS TRUMP FACES IMPEACHMENT

Lots in there, but this line in the closing para really caught my eye. Bolding mine:

Quote:
In recent months, Rupert’s oldest son has been holding strategy conversations with Fox executives and anchors about how Fox News should prepare for life after Trump. Among the powerful voices advising Lachlan that Fox should decisively break with the president is former House speaker Paul Ryan, who joined the Fox board in March. “Paul is embarrassed about Trump and now he has the power to do something about it,” an executive who’s spoken with Ryan told me.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
“IT’S MANAGEMENT BEDLAM”: MADNESS AT FOX NEWS AS TRUMP FACES IMPEACHMENT

Lots in there, but this line in the closing para really caught my eye. Bolding mine:

That's interesting. I've been poking around on Foxnews since this thing blew up. Couldn't believe my ears when one of their legal experts said what Trump did does qualify as a "bribe". [He was speaking in terms if this case were to be tried in a court of law]

Sorry, can't find the link.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Anecdotes are not evidence and all that confirmation bias stuff, but the number of restaurants, bars, hotels, more, openly playing Fox News is down dramatically since 2016.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
“Paul is embarrassed about Trump and now he has the power to do something about it,” an executive who’s spoken with Ryan told me.
Good thing Pelosi isn't as impotent in her role as Speaker as Ryan was. NOW he has the power? Like he had no power as Speaker? Jeezus.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:36 AM

Joe diGenova and Victoria Toensing have been long-time pro-Trump voices on Fox News. Who knows how long they have been on Rudy Giuliani's payroll "off the books" trying to dog up Biden dirt, but my guess is it overlaps them as supposedly impartial commentators way before diGenova blasted Fox News senior judicial analyst Judge Andrew Napolitano as “a fool” for assessing that Trump had committed a crime during his July 25 call with the Ukrainian president.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/joe-di...e-biden-report
Old 09-30-2019, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Good thing Pelosi isn't as impotent in her role as Speaker as Ryan was. NOW he has the power? Like he had no power as Speaker? Jeezus.
He may have a point in the sense that currently the president is a stenographer for the right wing media.

Remember when it was bad when the media were stenographers of president Bush?

(Pepperidge Farm remembers.. )

This is worse.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 09-30-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
That's interesting. I've been poking around on Foxnews since this thing blew up. Couldn't believe my ears when one of their legal experts said what Trump did does qualify as a "bribe". [He was speaking in terms if this case were to be tried in a court of law]

Sorry, can't find the link.
Yeah, they’ve been all over the place. They have a handful of commentators that are actually real journalists. Chris Wallace gave one of the toughest interviews I’ve seen on the scandal with White House troll Steven Miller. Shepard Smith is also coming down hard on Trump and the White House.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
Yeah, they’ve been all over the place. They have a handful of commentators that are actually real journalists. Chris Wallace gave one of the toughest interviews I’ve seen on the scandal with White House troll Steven Miller. Shepard Smith is also coming down hard on Trump and the White House.
There's a civil war going on at Fox, between the journalists (Wallace, Smith) and the pundits (Hannity, Carlson). Pass the popcorn.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:57 AM

[off-topic?]
If we treat the lies at Fox News as part of a broader problem, then it may be appropriate to look beyond Fox in this thread. Let me tell you about an experiment I just did inadvertantly.

I typed "what crime did trump commit?" into Google.com. The first page of hits was
https://www.theguardian.com us-news oct trump-impeachment-latest-...
https://www.vox.com criminal-laws-trump-barr-giuliani-ukraine
https://www.rollcall.com news whitehouse trump-ukraine-call-legal-d...
https://www.citizensforethics.org a-campaign-to-defraud-2
https://reason.com 2019/09/26 did-trump-commit-an-actual-crime-by-s...
https://www.vice.com en_us article here-are-7-crimes-trump-might-h...
https://slate.com news-and-politics 2019/09 trump-ukraine-campaign...
https://www.nytimes.com 2019/09/25 opinion trump-impeachment
https://www.nbcnews.com politics trump-impeachment-inquiry cia-s-...

I needed(*) to type the same command into the Bing.com search engine. This yielded:
https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2...-has-committed
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tuck...t-trump-commit...
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/oct/04/...
https://www.quora.com/What-impeachab...rump-committed
https://navalawaz.com/did-president-...-federal-crime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chuml73KjZY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWOZRYR8clc
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...mitted-federal...
(Quora is an unpredictable joke site. In this case, Bing excerpted "President Trump has not committed any crimes what so ever, let along impeachable. It's a long well known CIA tactic the left is using against Trump.")

Are you as struck as I am by the contrast? With the exact same query string? The TOP hit at Bing was rushlimbaugh, followed by foxnews. I didn't click on the Youtubes, but navalawaz was a 2017(!) article concluding "No crime."

(* - Why I needed to switch to Bing: Google doesn't load the link you click on; it instead loads a Google tracking site which eventually transfers to your request. My Internet connection suffers severe flaws, and all-too-often I cannot get past the Google tracking URL. Hence my switch to Bing.)

Last edited by septimus; 10-06-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/curt...ry-impeachment
Pelosi hopes public forgets these facts as she rewrites history with impeachment inquiry

Those "facts' are 100% either lies or 'whataboutism" or in most cases- both.

Because when your guy is dirty as hell, your only defense is to point out the smudges on the other sides face.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
[off-topic?]
Are you as struck as I am by the contrast? With the exact same query string? The TOP hit at Bing was rushlimbaugh, followed by foxnews. I didn't click on the Youtubes, but navalawaz was a 2017(!) article concluding "No crime."
Did you run these from incognito mode? If not, it's possible that the bias is based on prior search history.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running with Scissors View Post
Did you run these from incognito mode? If not, it's possible that the bias is based on prior search history.
If I'm not wrong, incognito mode still references past searches -
but what it doesn't do is save current searches / cookies etc
Old 10-07-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengangmo View Post
If I'm not wrong, incognito mode still references past searches -
but what it doesn't do is save current searches / cookies etc
It basically opens a new environment with no cookies at all (that is, it will pretend to save them, but will not once the window is closed). Existing cookies will also not show up in the new environment, which should prevent new searches from having access to previous ones.

ETA: looks like that depends on the browser. Chrome may not be the best in this case.

Last edited by Running with Scissors; 10-07-2019 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeschines View Post
First off, I'm very liberal.

Second off, I watch almost zero TV news. I catch it at my parents (not necessarily Fox), doctors' offices, and times like that. I do see a bunch of clips all the time of Fox News programs such as those featuring Hannity and O'Reilly. And sometimes it's a clip of an ordinary Fox News story, not necessarily anything political. That doesn't mean, however, that I haven't watched large chunks of Fox News over the past few years. I interpret at doctors' offices and often am waiting for patients. For some reason, Fox News is a popular choice to have on.

I think Hannity and O'Reilly are buffoons, but their programs are obviously and explicitly Conservative in message. One may blame the Fox Network for carrying such crap, but I don't, really. There's no hidden agenda, and those shows are fulfilling a demand for that message. In any case, I don't think those shows taint Fox News itself.

So, what about Fox News? It's slogan is, "Fair and Balanced." People, especially liberals, accuse it of being blatantly pro-Conservative. The thing is, when I've watched it, it's seemed like your typical stupid network news without a whole of lot bias either way. Plus, they have some hot blondes on there, which is nice.

I find network news to be boring and Conservative as a default setting. No matter what, it seems to reinforce the status quo. Keep calm and carry on, as the Brits used to say. No huge need for change, although there are problems problems problems, and isn't that interesting? Yesssss, watch. Watch more. Consume more. And... be happy (THX-1138).

Fox News seems well-produced with competent newscasters (some of whom are hot blondes). It does seem to tell the basic news without too much of a slant; which is to say, it's slanted toward the status quo--just like all news shows. There is nothing truly excellent about it, yet there doesn't seem to be anything *exceptionally* execrable about it either.

TL;DR: Fox News is Conservative, but all network news shows ares fundamentally Conservative, inasmuch as they subtly and unsubtly validate the status quo.

What do you think?
American corporate state media outlets are what they are post the Clinton FCC deregulation. Back in the 1980s there were 50 some odd companies on the american media landscape, that's now down to a half dozen multinational corporations who preside over ~90% of the information americans are exposed to.

Let me know if you EVER see any of them oppose endless war.

Meet the guy who pioneered mass psychological manipulation via the media:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bernays

Last edited by Fentoine Lum; 10-07-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:32 PM

I realize slogging through 2400 posts that already address your both sides are the same bullshit might be too much to ask, but possibly you might not reply authoritatively to the original post that was made 2400 posts ago if you choose not to.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2019, 03:27 PM

Shep Smith, Fox's lone voice of the not entirely insane, is leaving.

https://twitter.com/JasonLeopold/sta...171725824?s=19
Old 10-11-2019, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Just so happened a mere day after Murdoch met with Barr.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Just so happened a mere day after Murdoch met with Barr.
Amazing coincidence.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:42 PM

I will admit I had a glimmer of hope recently that Fox was starting to distance themselves from Trump. I wonder what Trump/Barr have over Fox?
Old 10-11-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
I will admit I had a glimmer of hope recently that Fox was starting to distance themselves from Trump. I wonder what Trump/Barr have over Fox?
The ability to maliciously prosecute them for real or imagined wrongdoings, without fear of reprisal.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
You didn't think that the item of Hannity's using the same lawyers as Trump was going to be left to waste by Trump and his henchmen?
Old 10-11-2019, 04:47 PM

Brian Stelter, CNN:
Quote:
As suspected: Tensions with Fox's opinion shows was the breaking point for Shep Smith, a well-placed source confirms to me.
More here, with Vanity Fair article excerpts:
Quote:
Two weeks ago Fox News execs sided with Tucker Carlson in a spat between him & Shep Smith.

They told Smith if he continued calling out Carlson's rhetoric for what it was, he would be off the air.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:01 PM

David Nakamura, Washington Post:
Quote:
Reporter asks Trump for react to Shep Smith leaving FOX: "Is he leaving? Oh, that's a shame. ... Is he leaving because of terrible ratings? If he's leaving, I assume he's leaving for bad ratings... Well, I wish him well."
Old 10-11-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walken After Midnight View Post
David Nakamura, Washington Post:
Just for the record, Walken--you've been bringing some good links in all of these threads lately. I think a lot of your posts get passed by but you're providing some excellent, timely content on the fly.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbesojumpy View Post
Just for the record, Walken--you've been bringing some good links in all of these threads lately. I think a lot of your posts get passed by but you're providing some excellent, timely content on the fly.
I always read Walken posts.