Old 09-23-2019, 10:14 PM

The Prodigal Son... new show on Fox (one spoiler)

Anyone else give this a try tonight?

I was actually impressed... a bit strange but I'll definitely give it another few views.

SPOILER:
The very first show the good guy chops off an innocent man's hand. Even Breaking Bad made us wait a bit before something like that happened.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:25 PM

I didn't like and won't be giving it a second viewing. I gave it a chance for Sheen and because I like a good detective procedural, but this was like a bad episode of Bones meets Silence of the Lambs. And the actor who is the prodigal son makes terrible faces when he screams and I can't watch that again. It had potential but life's too short to give it time to grow. And some shows' best episodes are their pilots.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:07 PM

Fair enough... my wife and I both thought it was odd and quirky but still interesting. The "terrible faces" we thought were interesting because we still don't know if he is really like his father or not but when he was "freeing the guy from the handcuffs" he really looked like he was enjoying it a little too much.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:55 PM

It was a 'one and done' for me. I just don't want to spend any more time with the lead character.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:16 PM

Not watching it. but curious. Why did the good guy do the spoilery thing, and is it presented as a good thing? Is the audience supposed to keep liking him? What is the takeaway?

eta context: By the time I quit watching Bones I wanted both her and Booth to be killed, dismembered, buried under a manure pile, and then have the manure pile set on fire. I don't like shows where the "good guys" would have been the bad guys even 20 years ago.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 09-26-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Not watching it. but curious. Why did the good guy do the spoilery thing, and is it presented as a good thing? Is the audience supposed to keep liking him? What is the takeaway?
It absolutely was a necessary thing. It wasn't a malicious or salacious thing on the character's part. It was do it or the guy dies. So in a way it was a good thing and I don't know if we were supposed to like him after. He got the job done but it was still a little much. And one thing the show did a good job with was making you wonder if he didn't enjoy it while also doing it for the right reasons. It planted seeds of doubt about him, but since the actor bugged me, I don't care enough to see it through.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
It absolutely was a necessary thing. It wasn't a malicious or salacious thing on the character's part. It was do it or the guy dies. So in a way it was a good thing and I don't know if we were supposed to like him after. He got the job done but it was still a little much. And one thing the show did a good job with was making you wonder if he didn't enjoy it while also doing it for the right reasons. It planted seeds of doubt about him, but since the actor bugged me, I don't care enough to see it through.
Thanks!
Old 09-30-2019, 02:02 PM

We watched 20 minutes of it last night. The lead actor was not impressive - we decided we didn't have enough time to spend watching him learn how to act this season.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
As said it overall was to save a guy's life so a good thing.

Is the audience supposed to keep liking him? Good question... they zoomed in on his face and you get the impression he may be looking forward to it. Then again, he has quirky facial expressions.

It is on tonight so I'll give it another shot and see if I'll continue or not.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:22 PM

We liked the first episode. We'll keep watching.

I will admit that the scream is un-nerving, but it worked for me.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:08 PM

I don't know how many nutjobs you guys have met but this actor's quirky faces remind me of a couple of nutjobs who were still managing a regular life.

Last edited by CarnalK; 09-30-2019 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:53 AM

I thought the first episode was really good. He seemed really excited that he go to do the spoiler thing. I thought that scene was pretty well done, and said "holy shit!" to myself as it was going down.

One thing I don't like, similar to my dislike of the same part of Silence of the Lambs, is how can his father be so smart, but not know you are not supposed to kill people? I wish his son had asked him that - "Don't you know killing people is against the law"?
Old 10-02-2019, 12:09 AM

I don’t see what being smart has to do with it. Obviously he knows you aren’t supposed to kill people, that’s why he covered his tracks to get away with it for so long. But he wanted to kill people, so he did. Same with Hannibal Lecter and every other fictional serial killer. (And real ones as well.)

You could ask that about basically any crime. “Why did you do X? Didn’t you know robbery/murder/assault/etc. was against the law?”
Old 10-06-2019, 02:39 PM

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The lead actor, who did not look like someone I would particularly want to watch on a weekly basis when I saw him in the promos, was at least better than my first impression of him. But am I to understand that the father, a serial killer with two dozen bodies to his name, is still allowed to practice medicine? I'm prepared to give shows a little leeway when it comes to realism so that they can be entertaining, but is the show's universe so devoid of competent cardiothoracic care that this guy still gets to do a little moonlighting?
Old 10-07-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooooopy View Post
But am I to understand that the father, a serial killer with two dozen bodies to his name, is still allowed to practice medicine? I'm prepared to give shows a little leeway when it comes to realism so that they can be entertaining, but is the show's universe so devoid of competent cardiothoracic care that this guy still gets to do a little moonlighting?
I'm not sure where you got that impression. It is very clear that he is in a prison cell (although a ridiculously luxurious one). I'll have to go back and rewatch to see what you may have thought was him still practicing.

Looking forward to tonight's episode.