Old 09-28-2019, 01:01 AM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Woah, you did what, Sturgill? (Sound & Fury)

To be honest, when I heard/saw Sing Along around a month ago, I thought I was prepared for his next record. Ok, he does psychedelic dance synth country and it actually works. If you told me he could pull it off and I would like it, I would have called you silly. Now that I hear it, I can't really do that now, can I? I loves it. Rockin' video too! I couldn't wait.

Nope, I was not prepared for this record. He brings everything from stoner/doom metal to fuzzy pop and straight up disco to that mix of psychedelic dance synth country party and still makes it all work. Plus, there's a pretty great 41 minute anime music video for the whole thing on Netflix. I watched/listened to it there, and ordered the record.

If you just want to listen to the whole thing, you can do that on YouTube with a bunch of Grammarly commercials here

Nope, I don't think that's Alex Jones in the intro, Joe Rogan is credited in the movie. Sturgill doesn't seem to be a fan of that kind of nonsense, and appeared to wisely avoid paying the nozzle.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:51 AM

I think this one is going to take a few listens, but because of his prior work I'll be giving it a go. My main problem so far is too many disparate ideas that don't really fit together, but maybe it'll come together after a while.

The album seems to be pretty divisive generally, and I get the impression that's something Sturgill will quite like.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:03 AM

My first listen last week I was like

Yesterday, I put it on again as I was insulating a bathroom I'm building and it was great work music.

I'll give it another listen some time this week. I think it's going to come together at some point.

My wife likes all of his previous albums but has already said "not this one". However, take what she says with a gigantic grain of salt: She likes my acoustic guitar but not my electrics.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:28 PM

I've only listened to it once, but it's dug into my brain. Every one of his albums has been different.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:55 PM

I've listened to it a couple more times and I still haven't fully digested it, but it has some really great parts. I know I'll be listening many more times.

It's almost indoor cycling time (dreaded time of the year), but I'll have to add the video to the front of the queue. It's hard to get motivated riding a bike on a trainer, but loud music and a video is one good way.