Old 10-07-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
1) I never thought I'd say it, but the Titans/Bills game is intriguing. Both teams have pretty good defenses (and inconsistent offenses), so hopefully it will be a good defensive game instead of a bad offensive one. I still have no respect for Josh Allen as an NFL QB, but I hope his head is OK.
After a horrible week last week for Josh Allen, the coaches gave him a much easier, game-manager role this week and it paid off. His average intended air yards went from 13.4 last week, to just 3.8, second lowest in the NFL this week. Outside of one idiotic throw resulting in an interception (10 IAY), he made the easy, simple throws and won the game. Not an exciting game by any means, but some very good defensive play and a win for the Bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet
2) Although I get a week off from the Dolphins floundering, I still have to hear about the horrid Jets (how does Adam Gase continue to get jobs?), the dysfunctional Washington team (Sorry fans, but the more pain for Daniel Snyder the better), and the Bengals.
Washington fired Jay Gruden (it really isn't his fault, but God forbid Snyder fire himself or his shitty GM), the Jets lose in predictable fashion, and the Bengals hang close, but lose again, this time to a previously unwinned team. Luckily, I didn't watch any of these games. Woo Hoo.

Quote:
3) Did Detroit's defensive gameplan against KC help set a blueprint (No, Reid will adjust, because that's what he's great at).
Hmmmmm. While Mahommes stats looked good, the offense as a whole didn't. The running game wasn't good (I think the Damien Williams era won't last long, and McCoy's fumble was costly), and the loss of both Hill and Watkins make it hard to tell if it's injuries or an adjustment thing. I'll give it another week.

Quote:
Is Kirk Cousins really that bad of a QB? (I didn't think so, but he's doing nothing to prove his critics wrong).
22 for 27, 306 yards, 2 td's, and 0 int. Nice game. Against a very bad team, so I don't think I'll declare Kirk Cousins back just yet.

Quote:
Will Jon Gruden assign the entire offensive line to stop Khalil Mack (he might have to. Although I don't really blame Gruden for trading Mack; it sounds like it was a "we don't have the money" owner caused things and they got great value for him).
Mack was held mostly in check, surprisingly, but the Raiders tried almost everything in their power to throw this game away. Luckily for the Packers, the Bears, especially Chase Daniel, threw it back.

Quote:
4) The continued use of backup QB's. Teddy Bridgewater, Chase Daniels, Kyle Allen, Luke Falk, Colt McCoy, Jacoby Brissett, and my current mancrush Garrett Minshew are all players I never thought I'd see this season. Outside of the really horrible teams with no support (Jets. Washington), they've been doing pretty well all things considered.
Bridgewater looked very good, Minshew did also, and Allen, Brissett get wins despite being absolutely pedestrian. I didn't expect Daniels to suck so much, but I'll take it.

Quote:
5) Cowboys/Packers will be a fascinating test. Can the Packers D give up 300 yards rushing in one game?
I was surprised how quickly the Cowboys gave up on the run. Granted the quick 14-0 deficit was bad, but the Packers have shown to be weak against the run, and to see one of the best in Zeke only get 12 carries was surprising to me.
Quote:
Is Dak Prescott actually better than I thought or is beating up on the shittiest teams in the NFL (Dolphins, Washington, and the Giants) inflated his value (I hope so. I really want Jerry Jones to make him the highest paid player ever in the NFL)?
Dak had some very nice passes (and some very nice pass catchers, but those 3 int's killed this team. A lot of garbage time yardage too, which I hope inflates Dak's value even more. C'mon Jerry, give the guy a ton of money.
Quote:
Can Rodgers and LeFleur get more than a first quarter of greatness out of this offense, especially without Davante Adams? Should be a great game to watch.
It was a great development to see an actual run game take the pressure off Rodgers. I did get the sense, however, the Rodgers is starting to get prickly about some of the play calling. Shouldn't be a problem if the wins continue, but it could turn ugly. I'm also afraid the defense is too turnover reliant (they played extremely aggressively this game, getting beat deep too often), but I trust Pettine to get it done. Here's hoping injuries don't start to pile up.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post

Washington fired Jay Gruden . . .
Yeah, I guess losing to the Patriots was the last straw.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:29 AM

The Skins Made Jay Gruden Come To The Office At 5 A.M. To Get Fired
Quote:
Of the six coaches hired by Snyder, not one has finished with a winning record, and the team has finished last in its division eight times and third seven times. See a pattern? What’s wrong with this franchise wasn’t only or even mostly about Gruden.
I don’t think a Snyder team will ever be good. Sell it to an owner who is willing to rename the team to something that not a racial slur (just call it the Warriors and leave the logos/colors the same) and who can hire competent coaches.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

So what do the Redskins do with QB? I assume Keenum is legit hurt, McCoy didn’t look good but he has been out since last season and a start against the Pats isn’t the way to get back on track. Haskins looked like a rookie when he relieved Keenum last week. And, do you really want your first round rookie starting behind that 0-line?

Injuries have sucked. Guice didn’t last a game and AP has definitely lost a step since his renaissance last season.

At TE, the ‘Skins were down both Vernon Davis and Jordan Reed and I highly doubt that either of them are exactly eager to return.

Terry McLaurin has looked good in spots this season but was injured last week and didn’t look 100% against the Pats yesterday.

I don’t think a new coach will turn the Redskins around. I think Jay Gruden probably let it be known that he was planning on joining his brother in Las Vegas next season. I haven’t seen much of the Raiders this season but they’re certainly not a dumpster fire as this ‘Skins team is.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:21 AM

Is Snyder just trolling by hiring Bill Callahan as the interim head coach? I assume it's only temporary until he can hire Zac Taylor or whoever.

Having a Monday Night game following your Bye week is excruciating. At least it's fun knowing both the Cowboys and Rams have lost twice since the 49ers played their last game.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
Is Snyder just trolling by hiring Bill Callahan as the interim head coach? I assume it's only temporary until he can hire Zac Taylor or whoever.

Having a Monday Night game following your Bye week is excruciating. At least it's fun knowing both the Cowboys and Rams have lost twice since the 49ers played their last game.
I bet they didn’t like seeing the Browns soundly beating the Ravens on the road though. They’re not playing the Rams or Cowboys tonight.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:45 PM

I wonder what's up with Baker Mayfield. I dont think last year was just a fluke, but he's seriously regressed this season and I'd having a horrible start to this game. I wonder what's up with him.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:52 PM

The 49ers are dominating. It's sure fun to watch, but will the other shoe drop?
Old 10-07-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
The 49ers are dominating. It's sure fun to watch, but will the other shoe drop?
I’m pretty sure one of the Niners intercepted the other shoe.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

New OC has a terrible scheme for Mayfield. Mayfield excelled last year on fast developing plays and quick hitters. This year, half the called plays are plays where every route is slow developing and his first read isn't even for 2-3 seconds into the play. He's still nailing those fast reads like quick slants but they're trying to make him sit behind a bad O-line for 3+ seconds every play before trying to get rid of the ball. The offenses look completely different. There are probably other, less obvious things at work like different decision trees and blocking schemes.

Why you'd hire Kitchens as head coach because you think he's an up and coming offensive guru, but then hire an OC from totally outside his system to run his own offense makes no sense at all to me.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:08 PM

I kind of want to see his lifelong friend / backup QB get the start next week.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
I don’t think a new coach will turn the Redskins around.
The team is rotten from the top down. To paraphrase from a WaPo opinion piece, Dan Snyder is an average man, and a small man. He's so small that he won't surround himself with anyone who's smarter than he is, and he is an average man who got lucky financially, so he will never do what everyone knows he should do, which is bring in actual football people who will tell him to fuck off and let them do their job. I think Marty Schottenheimer was turning this team around but he got fired because he wouldn't be Snyder's "Yes Man." Anyone who comes in to coach this team is going to be similarly handcuffed by total top-down organizational incompetence.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
New OC has a terrible scheme for Mayfield. Mayfield excelled last year on fast developing plays and quick hitters. This year, half the called plays are plays where every route is slow developing and his first read isn't even for 2-3 seconds into the play. He's still nailing those fast reads like quick slants but they're trying to make him sit behind a bad O-line for 3+ seconds every play before trying to get rid of the ball. The offenses look completely different. There are probably other, less obvious things at work like different decision trees and blocking schemes.
That should be the progression of rookie QB's, shouldn't it? First year, they're not ready for a grownup NFL offense, so you call plays with those quick release/close to the line of scrimmage/no reads throws. It helps them develop timing and rhythm while they learn about progressions, route combos, and reading defenses (stuff they generally don't have to do in college). Then, as the player develops, they expand the playbook; calling more plays that require more NFL QB skills. Then, if things go well, you have a real NFL QB.

Some players develop well (Pat Mahomes. Carson Wentz). Some develop more slowly (Newton. Winston. Carr), and some never do (Tebow. Manziel.)

From your description, it sounds like the Browns are trying to get Mayfield up to speed with a real NFL offense, and he's struggling with it game to game. That's to be expected from a young QB (if that's what's really going on). The OC can help out by better blending the transition, or even go back to the simplistic offense (the Bears seem to be doing that with Trubisky) and try to develop the QB from there.

I think it will come down to whether Mayfield wants to, and can, develop. Some guys have no interest in developing beyond what they think works well for them (RGIII, Manziel). Some do, but their level tops out (Dalton. Carr.). And some become spectacular (Mahomes). We will see where in that spectrum Mayfield falls.

Last edited by Hamlet; 10-08-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

It's hard to know what the playcall is entirely just from watching on TV, without even having an all 22 camera. But the impression I get is that what we're running now is not too much of a "real NFL offense" in the way that you mean it. A real NFL offense will typically incorporate quick hitting reads and slow developing reads on the same play - your first read probably occurs somewhere around 0.5 to 1 second in the play, and if it's there, you hit it, if not, the next read at the 1-1.5 second mark will develop, and you try to hit that, etc.

The offense the Browns are running doesn't seem to have a read intended be hit on a lot of plays until the 3+ second mark, which is unusual, and feels more like a 1970s offense to me. Now maybe those reads are there and the TV isn't showing them well and Baker just isn't hitting them, but this is the impression I'm getting. Everything is too slow developing, the reads start late, the O-line is too poor at blocking, Mayfield is forced to take off running before the first read is even there, and he's not doing a great job of pocket awareness.

Different OCs also have different methods of making reads and there are other aspects of play designs and the way you mentally go through a play that can be ill-suited to a style of play from a QB, but that's hard to see just from watching TV broadcasts.

Last year wasn't a fluke. He was smooth, confident, in control, running an offense that he's comfortable with, and that's changed completely. I don't think he suddenly lost the ability to play or displayed all the skills he had last year, and I don't think it's simply a matter of the defenses doing a better job against him - it looks, to me, like the offensive system is fundamentally different and not suited to his strengths, and not suited to the team's strengths and weaknesses either.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:33 PM

Must I be the first person here to say that MAH COLTS beat the previously-undefeated Chiefs? GO COLTS!
Old 10-11-2019, 12:34 AM

AJ Green to the Patriots is a real rumor going around..