Old 09-18-2019, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Oct. On Netflix: "El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie" [spoilers]

I'm excited about this!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fe...c-show-1240406
Quote:
In their first interview about the new movie, star and creator reveal why they risked messing with their defining show ("Is there another story to tell?") and how they shot the hot Netflix project in near-total secrecy.
Trailer: https://youtu.be/lZKqMVPlDg8
Old 09-22-2019, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Just now released... a new teaser...

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1...700745728?s=19
Old 09-23-2019, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

This looks really good. Let's hope it is.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Something just occurred to me.

In the first trailer:

SPOILER:
Skinny Pete talks about what he saw on the news about Jesse being kept in that hole and forced to cook.

How would anyone know who, if anyone, was kept in the hole? And how would anyone know that he was forced to cook? In fact how would anyone know that the fleeing person was Jesse?

Could there have been another survivor? One who is in custody?

In the second trailer, the news announcement mentions 9 male bodies. I have to look back at that last epsiode and do a head count.

Last edited by davidm; 09-23-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:05 AM

Good point.
SPOILER:
I just rewatched it, and if you count Walt, Todd, and the guard outside, I get 11 bodies. Todd wasn't shot, so perhaps the 9 mentioned don't include Walt and Todd?

Last edited by SykoSkotty; 09-24-2019 at 09:05 AM. Reason: spoiler
Old 09-24-2019, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SykoSkotty View Post
Good point.
SPOILER:
I just rewatched it, and if you count Walt, Todd, and the guard outside, I get 11 bodies. Todd wasn't shot, so perhaps the 9 mentioned don't include Walt and Todd?
SPOILER:
I watched that scene on Youtube and I tried counting but everything happened too fast, so I'll take your word for it.
So maybe Walt didn't die. But really, how much time did he have left with the cancer?
Old 09-24-2019, 01:12 PM

New trailer from Nexfilx.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:25 PM

I'll be watching. Meanwhile, I wonder what the article "a" means in the subtitle. Not "The Breaking Bad Movie", but "A Breaking Bad Movie".

Hmm.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Set in the BB Universe, but not BB.

Can't have BB without Walt. You just can't.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:45 PM

But you can have Walt. In flashback. Assuming he died, of course.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
The Hollywood Reported article mentions that the RV meth lab was spotted in the ABQ area last year. Since the RV was crushed during BB, if it is indeed the meth lab RV that has to mean at least one flashback with a high probability of Walt showing up...
Old 09-24-2019, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That is SO good!
Old 09-24-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Apparently Jonathan Banks let it slip that he is in it. Since we know Mike is dead, that pretty much confirms there will be flashbacks. That opens the door for Walt to be in those flashbacks, too.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Something just occurred to me.

In the first trailer:

SPOILER:
Skinny Pete talks about what he saw on the news about Jesse being kept in that hole and forced to cook.

How would anyone know who, if anyone, was kept in the hole? And how would anyone know that he was forced to cook? In fact how would anyone know that the fleeing person was Jesse?

Could there have been another survivor? One who is in custody?

In the second trailer, the news announcement mentions 9 male bodies. I have to look back at that last epsiode and do a head count.
SPOILER:
Prints and DNA would establish who had been where. And the APD knew about Jesse. To quote Detective Kalanchoe/Mundt, "You're no boy scout".

It would be harder to establish his being forced, although the chains would be an indication.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:24 PM

What's the consensus on Jesse getting a happy ending?

Should he?
Old 09-27-2019, 04:28 PM

What if Walt came back as an "apparition" of some sort? I'm not saying that I think that'll happen or is likely.

Wasn't Tony haunted by Big Pussy a few times? Perhaps I'm wrong. I'm not saying a ghost. It might be stupid, but I don't rule anything out anything.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:28 AM

El Camino

No Spoilers.

Cannot tell you how thrilled I am that this is dropping Friday. Just finished watching my highlights to catch up.

Who else is ready?

I honestly forgot the excellence after not watching it for a few years. The pics from the premiere were lovely. They all seemed delighted to be there.

Yay. Come on Friday!!
Old 10-11-2019, 10:00 AM

Going to rewatch tonight or tomorrow.

For now Iíll say itís good. Certainly doesnít ruin any kind of legacy.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:33 AM

I enjoyed the cameo character about halfway through.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:09 PM

I Thought it was quite good. It kind of did feel like that part of Jesse's story needed to be told to truly wrap up things, especially since Saul gets his story told.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:14 PM

SPOILER:
I love the scene where Jesse is taking apart Todd's apartment, and you get overhead view of all of the rooms that is scouring through.

Just enough Walt.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Liked it, but in part because I loved BB, and this is like a pretty good BB episode. But not a top 10 episode. In some ways, the circumstances are similar to the Deadwood movie, and I think they did it better. But I liked it, and I’m happy it exists.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:04 PM

Robert Forster passed away today.

I was glad he was able to get a final role in El Camino. I loved watching him work.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:51 AM

I liked it a lot.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Dupe thread.

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=882295

Last edited by davidm; 10-12-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFootsZZZ View Post
What if Walt came back as an "apparition" of some sort? I'm not saying that I think that'll happen or is likely.

Wasn't Tony haunted by Big Pussy a few times? Perhaps I'm wrong. I'm not saying a ghost. It might be stupid, but I don't rule anything out anything.
Looks like Jane was the apparition.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]
Merged threads.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:00 PM

I loved how the vacuum peddler wouldn't discount his price. And what Jessie had to do to get the $1,800 dollars. Great touch.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:15 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFootsZZZ View Post
What's the consensus on Jesse getting a happy ending?

Should he?
Jesse will never have a happy ending no matter what. He will have PTSD his whole life.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Jesse will never have a happy ending no matter what. He will have PTSD his whole life.
I appreciate that we understand the brutality Jesse endured without having to see it. The scars and the PTSD tell the story. For a chilling moment, I thought we were going see what 'fun' Todd had dreamed up for a weekend alone with Jesse.

I liked the movie but it was really just two good episodes of Breaking Bad. They went to all that trouble, why not make another season? I wouldn't mind finding out what happened to all the other characters too. Walt sent a whole bunch of chaos in motion and seeing the consequences would have made plenty of material. Did Gretchen and Elliot make good on their coerced promise? What is Walt jr. having for breakfast? Where is Marie now?

But hey, I'll take what I can get. Maybe they'll be another one. Some of my favorite touches: the bizarre Todd and Lydia snow globe. Jesse calling out Walt for being on stage when he graduated and forgetting about it. Badger owning a freaking Fiero, a car I forgot about 20 years ago. Badger and Skinny Pete happily handing over their 'hitman' cash. Good fun, would recommend. I'll probably watch it twice.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
I liked the movie but it was really just two good episodes of Breaking Bad.
This is the best way to put it, I think. I enjoyed it a lot, and Iíd certainly watch more in the future, but there wasnít much to differentiate it from the main BB series.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:56 PM

The Fiero was a nice touch.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post
I loved how the vacuum peddler wouldn't discount his price. And what Jessie had to do to get the $1,800 dollars. Great touch.
Yeah, I have a question about him. He runs his business in Albuquerque, and all his clients have been from there, too. Just how large of a seamy underworld (with people who need to "disappear") can a city the size of Albuquerque sustain? It just seems kind of convenient that he could set up shop in a relative podunk and stay in business just from the local population.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:26 AM

Fair.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
Yeah, I have a question about him. He runs his business in Albuquerque, and all his clients have been from there, too. Just how large of a seamy underworld (with people who need to "disappear") can a city the size of Albuquerque sustain? It just seems kind of convenient that he could set up shop in a relative podunk and stay in business just from the local population.
There's about 1.1 million people in the combined ABQ-Santa Fe MSA. Walt, of course, had a larger market.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:58 AM
Charter Member

I liked the fact that, when Breaking Bad ended GQ interviewed Vince Gilligan and, talking about Jesse, asked, "What do you think happened to him?"

And he replied:

SPOILER:
My personal feeling is that he got away. But the most likely thing, as negative as this sounds, is that theyíre going to find this kidís fingerprints all over this lab and theyíre going to find him within a day or a week or a month. And heís still going to be on the hook for the murder of two federal agents. But yeah, even though thatís the most likely outcome, the way I see it is that he got away and got to Alaska, changed his name, and had a new life. You want that for the kid. He deserves it.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
Right off the bat, they clearly have an issue with a lot of drugs, gangs and violence in the area, so there's that. But keep in mind that Mike and Saul have more than just Walt and Jesse as clients. I'd imagine they've put feelers out to make their services known. Not that anyone knows exactly what's going on, but if someone in California or Colorado or Mexico needs to disappear, they know a guy that knows a guy who knows a guy and eventually find him.

And, yeah, the $1800. That's $1800 out of a quarter million (or $125,000 if you look at it that way). I was kinda surprised that he was a stickler over that. I was surprised he didn't let it go or Vince didn't make it a bit more. The other guy had close to a half million dollars, so Vince could have made Jesse $50,000 short and it still would have played out the same.

As for the actual show, I liked it, I thought it was great, Aaron Paul has clearly grown as an actor. However, it felt like it could have been the next episode or two of Breaking Bad, or even integrated into the final season somehow. But, maybe that's a good thing. It didn't feel like the entire cast and crew took a few years off.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:13 PM

Todd got fat.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
And, yeah, the $1800. That's $1800 out of a quarter million (or $125,000 if you look at it that way). I was kinda surprised that he was a stickler over that. I was surprised he didn't let it go or Vince didn't make it a bit more. The other guy had close to a half million dollars, so Vince could have made Jesse $50,000 short and it still would have played out the same.
I could see his point. Everyone has a sad story and if he eats $1800 for one client, it won't be the last time he does it. And consider: If you have it in you to get $123.2 K together, you certainly (as Jesse did) have it in you to get the full amount. What was his line? "If tugging on heartstrings is your best option, you might have a better chance going to law enforcement." Or something like that.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:49 AM

Just watched it. It was somehow both the longest AND shortest 2 hrs of my life. It was great. Even though nothing surprising happened. Or anything really exciting., either. Worth seeing. 7 thumbs up.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbesojumpy View Post
Todd got fat.

Yes, it was a little distracting. I saw a meme the other day with a picture of a very gaunt Joaquin Phoenix, mentioning how he lost 50 lbs for his role in The Joker. The split photo showed Todd in a scene from El Camino which was captioned "Jesse Plemons found it."

Last edited by Casey1505; 10-14-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

I, uh... thought it was boring? Kind of contrived?

To be honest, I was not the biggest Jesse fan anyway, so I never needed his story resolved. I just assumed that he escaped and is living in some mobile home next to a lake in the Ozarks or some shit. Alaska? Sure. I'll buy that.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbesojumpy View Post
Todd got fat.
Every character recurring from BB to Better Call Saul got fatter (and/or balder) except, curiously, Huell, who got thinner.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:32 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. U. Shakespeare View Post
Every character recurring from BB to Better Call Saul got fatter (and/or balder) except, curiously, Huell, who got thinner.
Hey give props to Badger! He thinned down!

It's weird to watch Aaron Paul now that I know him as Todd from "Bojack Horseman". Todd and Jesse are very different characters (but with the same thread of cluelessness).
Old 10-14-2019, 10:30 AM

I liked it a lot. I was really touched by how kind Skinny Pete and Badger were to Jessie. They're not just goofy meth addicts, but are genuinely kind.

It made sense to me that the vacuum cleaner man would make a deal over $1800. He's a stickler for details and his word is his bond. If he's expected to keep his word to every last detail then he expects the same of his clients. It probably also helps to make sure his clients stay quiet and don't implicate him in any way. That was a nice touch with him quizzing Jessie about his new identity before saying goodbye at the end.

I do wonder if the purpose of this show is to show is connected to Better Call Saul. Is there a story line coming that involves Jessie so the writers closed the loose end? That way it might make sense what Jessie's situation is.

Last edited by Frazzled; 10-14-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzled View Post
I do wonder if the purpose of this show is to show is connected to Better Call Saul. Is there a story line coming that involves Jessie so the writers closed the loose end? That way it might make sense what Jessie's situation is.
I'd be surprised if that happened, but I guess I wouldn't rule it out. He knows that Saul, Jesse and Walt all know each other. He's likely smart enough to make sure they can't find each other, even if they try.

However, Better Call Saul happens before Breaking Bad. We may very well see Jesse in BCS, but it would either happen before he started making meth or when he brought Mr White there.

Honestly, I think a lot of people wanted to know what happened to Jesse and everyone involved had the time, money and interest in the project, so it happened. There's not a whole lot of overlap between BCS and El Camino, so at least the actors weren't tied up working on BCS. Even Vince, who wrote and directed El Camino is pretty hands off when it comes to BCS. He doesn't do much of the writing or directing leaving a lot of the heavy lifting to Tom Schnauz and Peter Gould.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
However, Better Call Saul happens before Breaking Bad. We may very well see Jesse in BCS, but it would either happen before he started making meth or when he brought Mr White there.
Yeah, but every season of BCS starts in the "present" with his fake identity as a Cinnabon manager. These intro scenes have gotten longer and longer each season which makes me think they intend to complete Saul's story. I know it's a long shot on a cross over, but Saul's cover was nearly blown last season so he may end up on the run again and then who knows..
Old 10-14-2019, 12:19 PM

Looks like I'm not the only one thinking about the connections between El Camino and Better Call Saul - The Hollywood Reporter just posted an article:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...ctions-1246861

The short answer is that there is a relationship. Mainly the El Camino people didn't want to break anything that the Better Call Saul people were planning for the end. And, there's always a possibility that elements (including the welders) introduced in El Camino will play a future role in BCS
Old 10-14-2019, 01:32 PM

El Camino "Seen It" Thread **SPOILERS**

I think we need a thread to talk about this openly now that a few have had the chance to see it.
Preview spacing to avoid spoiling the latecomers.
I thought it was a long and detailed epilogue for a beloved character, but not necessarily a "movie" in the usual sense. At least, not a stand-alone; it's more of a BBC Christmas Special. Don't get me wrong, I loved it. I just can't imagine it being of interest to any non-BB devotee.

Did I miss the scene, or did they edit out the Skinny Pete interrogation scene that was shown in the Trailer? I'm pretty ticked off about that, but I was also walking around baking, so maybe I missed it.

Last edited by TruCelt; 10-14-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:11 PM

I watched it back-to-back with the final episode of Breaking Bad so the Brotherhood compound scene was fresh in my mind. This really did pick up right where that ended.
I was trying to figure out the timeline and how much time passed between events. There was the shoot-out, Jesse fled with the El Camino passing the police who were arriving at the scene, and went directly to Badger & Pete's house where he crashed till morning?
So, overnight the police identified Todd, figured out what kind of car he drove, activated the lo-jack, and raided his apartment and then abandoned it? That's some brisk police work for just arriving at a multiple homicide scene.