Old 10-09-2019, 07:36 PM

Jericho is knocking his promo out of the park. When he introduced Jake Hager, the fans chanted "We The People!" Jericho responded "We're not using that anymore. That's a stupid idea from bad creative!"

I'm interested in seeing how Jon Moxley vs Shawn Spears develops. They were the equivalent of A-lister and semi-visible midcarder in WWE.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Jericho is knocking his promo out of the park. When he introduced Jake Hager, the fans chanted "We The People!" Jericho responded "We're not using that anymore. That's a stupid idea from bad creative!"
I'm liking the Inner Circle as the evil opposite of the Elite / nWo-lite faction.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:51 AM

During the match between Roderick Strong and Isaiah "Swerve" Scott, Mauro worked in a subtle non-canon reference.

When the two were trading blows, Mauro said "They're both intending to establish their Kill Shot!" -- Scott's alias in LU.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

I'm really liking the way AEW is announcing the full card for Dynamite in advance of the show. It's a great way to get people interested in watching, and it makes it feel like it's a serious sporting event as opposed to a soap opera where people just get in the ring and talk for ten minutes and then a match happens.

Here's the card for next week's show;

*AEW World Championship: Chris Jericho (c) vs. Darby Allin (street fight)
* AEW Women's Championship: Riho (c) vs. Dr. Britt Baker
* Kenny Omega & Hangman Page vs. Jon Moxley & PAC
* SoCal Uncensored vs. Best Friends (Tag Team Championship quarter-finals)
* Pentagon Jr. & Fenix vs. Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus (Tag Team Championship quarter-finals)

Last edited by Smapti; 10-11-2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
There are a lot of tag teams that work pretty much only as tag teams. The draft should be worked so that they "register" as teams, individual, or both. In the last case, drafting an individual could break up the team if the partner is not drafted, but it protects teams like the Usos, AoP, etc. But I'm just a fan who overthinks wrestling, something Vince rarely does anymore.
Someone listened to me. I'm going to take full credit for this.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Here's the card for next week's show;

* SoCal Uncensored vs. Best Friends (Tag Team Championship quarter-finals)
Why do I have the feeling this is going to end up either as a time limit draw or a double countout, so The Dark Order go straight to the title match without having to wrestle anybody? At least AEW doesn't do what WCW did once, and announce the second semi-final of a title tourmanent for a PPV, only for the first semi-final to be a draw, so How About That, the title match is now on PPV.

And how do you have a "1 vs 8 seed" in a tournament with 7 teams in it?
Old 10-13-2019, 07:32 PM

You know what really gripes my ass?

Kofi Kingston's run to the WWE Championship was perhaps the most inspiring storyline leading into WrestleMania. He defends it against all comers, and then gets squashed in less than a minute by Brock Lesnar so he can face Cain Velasquez, who makes his WWE debut by competing for the championship in Saudi Arabia.

And a couple years ago, Kevin Owens' Universal Title reign was ended in less than a minute by Goldberg.

Why can't WWE be arsed to let their upper-midcard guys look like they have a chance in hell against their part-timers?
Old 10-14-2019, 10:48 AM

Because they're desperate for short-term ratings gains.

SD looks a lot prettier now, but it's mostly fluff. The only event of note was the Bailey-Charlotte match, which served mainly to bury Bailey's squeaky clean image.

Please please please don't make the Fox robot into an angle. It didn't work when WCW brought in Robocop. Learn from history.

Strange that each show would officially "draft" those who already had titles for those shows, yet neither took Brock.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Strange that each show would officially "draft" those who already had titles for those shows, yet neither took Brock.
That's what I was thinking. How are Natalya and Lucha House Party drafted, but not Bayley, Charlotte, Seth Rollins, et al. I know they want to give Raw some name-power drafts, but this just makes it look ridiculous. Vince can't do worked "real". I'm certain he's over-riding Heyman on this. Heyman was always smarter than this.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:14 PM

I don't mind Kofi dropping the belt to Brock Lesnar; that much was a foregone conclusion. But they could have put on a match that was actually pretty good. Lesnar has had great matches with AJ Styles, Seth Rollins, and Daniel Bryan, but they made Kofi Kingston look like a punk bitch. And this is not the first time he's squashed Kofi, either. He did it a few years ago at a Japan show.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:45 AM

Yeah, don't ever get attached to any of them. They're going to be treated like dogshit somewhere down the line, and most likely it will be for impersonal business reasons. They wanted to promote Brock vs Cain Velasquez, and Kofi was irrelevant to those plans. He and New Day are going back to drawing in the kid audience.

Luke Harper is one of my faves, but as far he and WWE management goes, to paraphrase Lawler, "couldn't get any warmth even if they were cremated together." Hopefully after his time in contract limbo he'll pop up in AEW.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:48 PM

Well, that didn't take long.

Eric Bischoff out, Bruce Prichard in as SmackDown Executive Director (UPDATED)
Old 10-16-2019, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

In case you missed it (which I did), Wednesday Night Dynamite now has a companion series on YouTube, called AEW Dark. It debuts on Tuesday nights and features the matches that were taped before and after the previous week's live show, and is hosted by Tony Schiavone from a set that looks like the one WWF used on their USA shows in the pre-Raw era.

The matches on this week's episode are;

* "The Librarian" Tony Avalon vs. Kip Sabian vs. Sonny Kiss
* SoCal Uncensored & CIMA vs. the Dark Order, Angelico, & Jack Evans
* Lights-out match; Kenny Omega vs. Joey Janela

Last edited by Smapti; 10-16-2019 at 06:21 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:07 PM

I am now a Marko Stunt mark.

He looks like he stopped growing at 12 yet he dances like a mayfly on lily pads.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:15 PM

Watching AEW for the first time tonight. Let's see how this goes....
Old 10-16-2019, 09:03 PM

Oh mah fucking GAWD!!!

Darby Allin just worked a match with his hands taped behind his back. It looked scary painful. He is now my god.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh mah fucking GAWD!!!

Darby Allin just worked a match with his hands taped behind his back. It looked scary painful. He is now my god.
2 1/2 years ago, I saw Darby Allin wrestle in an old ballroom outside downtown Seattle in front of 700 people against an Iron Sheik knockoff.

Tonight, he got to wrestle in front of 10,000 people and on worldwide TV, in a world championship match, against a guy who's been a main-eventer since before he was born.

It's amazing how quickly he's come up in the business. He's gotta be having the time of his life right now, and he's definitely a future world champ.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:19 AM

Sometimes, wrestlers go through several stages of character development before they settle on something that really establishes their identity. Steve Austin and The Rock, for example. Darby Allin mastered that on his own and at a very young age compared to most. He's an adrenaline junkie who combined skateboarders' flirting with disaster and urban graffiti fatalism into an identity like no other in this business.

I predict he's going to join the 27 Club.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Oh mah fucking GAWD!!!

The problem I have with that is that it was very impressive--and now why should I care about Orange Cassidy, whose primary wrestling gimmick is how well he can do wrestling things with his hands in his pockets?
Old 10-17-2019, 06:49 PM

I was definitely impressed with Darby Allen. He looked great in the match while also doing good things with his hands behind his back.

I thought the show itself was fine. I'm not a huge fan of JR's commentary, but it's absolutely refreshing to hear commentators that don't rely on stupid gimmicks or heel/face dynamics. I absolutely hate everything WWE does with commentary.

If there's one thing AEW really needs to improve on it's their camera work. There were some great spots that were missed (one in one of the tag matches especially) because the camera wasn't on the right person at the right time.

We'll see if I have another Wed night open to watch it in the future.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
I was definitely impressed with Darby Allen. He looked great in the match while also doing good things with his hands behind his back.
Nitpick; he spells his name "Allin", as a reference to the notorious punk singer GG Allin.
Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM

Why did Darby Allin have his hands tied behind his back? Did Jericho do that?