Old 10-03-2019, 07:03 AM

Device to stop neighbor's dog from barking, do they work?

I have seen several devices on the market which emit an ultrahigh sound that only dogs can hear. Human's can't hear it. It's an annoying sound to the dogs, and when they bark these device emit the sound. The theory is that it trains the dog to stop barking.

Does anyone have any experience with these devices? How did it work out? After the training period was over, did you have to continue using the device? Which product did you use?
Old 10-03-2019, 10:52 AM

I've heard from friends that it does work, but in their case the effect didn't last long after the device was removed.

But the device attaches to the dog's collar because it has to react to the dog's bark and to no other loud noise. It's not something you can have in your house/yard to train your neighbor's dog. (Perhaps I misunderstand your subject line.)
Old 10-03-2019, 12:07 PM

Be careful, you may not train the dog the way you expect.

My friend used one of the collars that delivers a mild electric shock along with a beep when the dog barked. After a brief period you turn off the shock and just use the beep. Worked fine, sort of. The dog was trained to be afraid of beeps. The microwave oven, beep, beep, beep! The garbage truck backing up, beep, beep, beep! You get the idea. He regrets using the collar.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:22 PM

Mr.Wrekker uses shock collars on his Beagles for training. They bark all the friggin' time, drives me crazy. I keep threatening to put the collars on all of them. When a squirrel runs across in front of the kennel and they all come to the fence and bark I'm gonna deliver a big shock and watch them all do back flips. Y'all know I really wouldn't do that. But I do believe in about 3 days they would never bark again. Kind of a bad thing for hunting dogs. Oops.
I don't think shock collars are what the OP is talking about. They have this emitting device for pests and annoying animals. Don't think they work very well.
I believe the OP should talk to his neighbor first and try to get them ro agree to a stop- bark training or device.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 10-03-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Notice:

"Free to good home- small excitable dog. Barks a lot. If you want him, give me a few minutes to jump my neighbors fence and get him for you."

Old 10-03-2019, 01:18 PM

The only device that will legally and reliably stop a neighbor's dog from annoying you is a moving truck.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardcoast View Post
I have seen several devices on the market which emit an ultrahigh sound that only dogs can hear. Human's can't hear it. It's an annoying sound to the dogs, and when they bark these device emit the sound. The theory is that it trains the dog to stop barking.

Does anyone have any experience with these devices? How did it work out? After the training period was over, did you have to continue using the device? Which product did you use?
If you're talking about the ones you hang in your yard to stop the neighbor's dogs from barking, then no, they don't really work. Not in my experience. Ours is shaped like a birdhouse and affixed to a pole very near the neighbor's yard. It's aimed at the middle of their yard.

The only thing that shut those damn dogs up was the rest of the neighborhood sending Bad Dog Mom to municipal court. Twice.

If you're talking about the kind you attach to your dog's collar, then yeah, they kinda work. But it depends on how smart your doggo is. Our Aussie knows not to bark when he's wearing the collar. And he's learned what registers he can chuff and whine at without setting off the device.

Oh, and the little devil has learned how to set off the puppy's bark collar. He likes his little jokes, he does.

Last edited by GreysonCarlisle; 10-03-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:14 PM

I tried one of those with the late slash-dog. She barked at the noise the anti-bark collar made.

YMMV.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:30 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
The only device that will legally and reliably stop a neighbor's dog from annoying you is a moving truck.
Does it have to be a moving truck, or will any large vehicle do?

I am an atheist, so will someone please invent the hell I so deserve to be sent to?

Last edited by Czarcasm; 10-03-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

Since this is asking for personal anecdotes, it'll be a better fit for IMHO. Moving.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:04 PM

Allow me to clarify the subject line, this is for a neighbor's dog. So devices with collars are out.

I'm referring to those devices that work from a distance like 75 feet or so from our yard directed towards the neighbor's yard where their dog is.

Last edited by edwardcoast; 10-03-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Allow me to clarify the subject line, this is for a neighbor's dog. So devices with collars are out.

I'm referring to those devices that work from a distance like 75 feet or so from our yard directed towards the neighbor's yard where their dog is.
They don't work.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
If you're talking about the ones you hang in your yard to stop the neighbor's dogs from barking, then no, they don't really work. Not in my experience. Ours is shaped like a birdhouse and affixed to a pole very near the neighbor's yard. It's aimed at the middle of their yard.
Were you able to get a clear line of sight with it? How far away was the device you purchased from the barking dog?
Old 10-03-2019, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

My understanding with these things (and this comes from two friends of mine that are very good dog trainers) is that you can't just use them and expect the dog to know what it means. You have to train the dog to do what you want when you use it. They may work great to get YOUR dog to stop barking, as long as you train it to stop barking when it hears the sound, but you're probably not going to get the neighbor's dog to stop barking just because it hears a random sound.

TLDR: they'll work if you can spend hands-on time training the dog to associate that nose with not barking otherwise it's just another noise in a sea of noises.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:53 PM

Doesn't help the OP, but I have training collars for my two dogs. I have a remote and can make their collars beep, vibrate/buzz, or shock. If they bark a little I let it go because that is what dogs are supposed to do. If they start going nuts I first beep, if that doesn't work I beep and buzz... if that doesn't work it is a beep, buzz and shock.

A beep is all I've had to do recently and usually just putting on the collar gets the job done.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Were you able to get a clear line of sight with it? How far away was the device you purchased from the barking dog?
Well, there were three barking dogs in that yard. Could have been anywhere from ten feet, if they were right up against the fence, to twenty yards, if they were on their back porch.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:32 PM

Invest in noise-cancelling headphones, or be prepared to put some work into your relationship with your neighbor. Nothing will work without the owner's cooperation.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:28 PM

Or make a noise complaint to the HOA or LE.

ETA, record a coupla of events. Dogs seem to shut up, miraculously when LE shows up.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 10-03-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:32 PM

Aww... whistle

Last edited by Gatopescado; 10-03-2019 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:17 AM

Quote:

I've tried them all....those that promise to stop the neighbor's barking dog via high pitched sounds I won't hear, those that "guarantee" to run unwanted critters off my property by annoying them with sounds I can't hear, and even those that claim to clear insects from your property and the one common denominator to all is....THEY DON'T WORK!!! Save your money and buy ear plugs and/or booze in order to cope.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:18 AM
Charter Member

I've worked with local political candidates (who have to be approaching unknown houses) who have carried in their pocket a device that emits an ultrasonic noise when activated. Several times they have reported having to use this. They said it seems to startle & distract an aggressive dog that is coming at them. Plus they were moving backwards 'as fast as they could' at the time, too. I've also heard or mail carriers using them. So these handheld devices seem to work somewhat. Don't think they'd help with barking, though.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:19 AM

Put me down as another data point for remote ultrasonic devices don't work without training to associate the noise with "shut the fuck up."

Years ago when I became a first time beagle owner I tried everything to get my little JackAss to shut up and nothing seemed to work. The winning solution was a spray bottle filled with ice water. For a few weeks, whenever he went on a baroo-fest (and if I was quick enough on the trigger) I would light his ass up with cold water. If you can aim the spray straight into their mouth while they are barking it sends a pretty clear message. Only took a few weeks to break the habit for life.

I know that sounds a bit cruel but it makes me feel better than using a taser collar.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:42 AM

Well now we know the answer to WWBJD

Last edited by yendis; 10-04-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleJesus View Post
Put me down as another data point for remote ultrasonic devices don't work without training to associate the noise with "shut the fuck up."

Years ago when I became a first time beagle owner I tried everything to get my little JackAss to shut up and nothing seemed to work. The winning solution was a spray bottle filled with ice water. For a few weeks, whenever he went on a baroo-fest (and if I was quick enough on the trigger) I would light his ass up with cold water. If you can aim the spray straight into their mouth while they are barking it sends a pretty clear message. Only took a few weeks to break the habit for life.

I know that sounds a bit cruel but it makes me feel better than using a taser collar.
Beagle are barkers. Or singers, I guess you could say. My house Beagle girl will let out the longest, clear bell-like note at meal times or excitement. She was an orphaned pup so I bottle fed her from 4 days old, so she never lived in Mr.Wrekkers hunting pack. She never got the learned bark, bark, bark habit. She also thinks she's a Yorkie like my other dog. So there's that.
My mid-daughter has 2 yappy, YAPPY, Chihuahuas. Her neighbors have complained to the HOA about her. She asked the Vet, he wanted to de-bark them. Nope.
Her dog-groomer/friend advised her to teach them to speak. Seems counterproductive but the logic is if you can make them speak you can make them shut-up. Nope. Didn't work.
I'm gonna tell her about the spray bottle.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 10-04-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:44 AM

I had an anti-bark egg with my previous pair of dogs (Husky cross and terri-poo). It scared the crap out of my little guy, Opie, so much that he would just shake and cower. Not ideal.

Currently, I once again have two dogs, one is a chi-cross rescue and tends to be yappier.

I trained her on recall and don't let her bark out of control, period. The bigger one, the Mastiff, is less barky. My neighbour has terribly barky dogs, and has been reported a few times. She also thinks someone sprayed something in her yard, and has a male, unfixed active breed that she refuses to walk. She also has an active breed little one she refuses to walk. She is a bit unusual.

Last edited by Poysyn; 10-04-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Beagle are barkers. Or singers, I guess you could say. My house Beagle girl will let out the longest, clear bell-like note at meal times or excitement. She was an orphaned pup so I bottle fed her from 4 days old, so she never lived in Mr.Wrekkers hunting pack. She never got the learned bark, bark, bark habit. She also thinks she's a Yorkie like my other dog. So there's that.
My mid-daughter has 2 yappy, YAPPY, Chihuahuas. Her neighbors have complained to the HOA about her. She asked the Vet, he wanted to de-bark them. Nope.
Her dog-groomer/friend advised her to teach them to speak. Seems counterproductive but the logic is if you can make them speak you can make them shut-up. Nope. Didn't work.
I'm gonna tell her about the spray bottle.
I did the no bark training when he was approx. 10 weeks old after a recommendation from a vet-tech and she was quite adamant that I needed to get started sooner rather than later. Hopefully your daughters little yappers aren't too old to learn new tricks.

Please report back with the results!
Old 10-05-2019, 12:42 AM

Quote:
I would light his ass up with cold water. If you can aim the spray straight into their mouth while they are barking it sends a pretty clear message. Only took a few weeks to break the habit for life.
That's interesting, but I doubt it would play well with the neighbor's firing cold water into their yard at the dog's butt. I'm sure it would entirely escalate the problem.

What is a surprise to me, is the dog's owners are home in the house while he's barking outside at their back door wanting to come in. It seems like it would be very annoying to them to have to listen to it and it would cause them to let the dog back in the house. They are the nearest to the noise than anyone else.

It's an odd behavior to let the dog out in their backyard and when it wants to come back in force him to stay out there for sometimes up to an hour with it barking at their back door.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
That's interesting, but I doubt it would play well with the neighbor's firing cold water into their yard at the dog's butt. I'm sure it would entirely escalate the problem.

What is a surprise to me, is the dog's owners are home in the house while he's barking outside at their back door wanting to come in. It seems like it would be very annoying to them to have to listen to it and it would cause them to let the dog back in the house. They are the nearest to the noise than anyone else.

It's an odd behavior to let the dog out in their backyard and when it wants to come back in force him to stay out there for sometimes up to an hour with it barking at their back door.
It may be they want back inside or maybe they just like to bark. As I (somewhat) understand it barking is a self rewarding, (thus) self reinforcing behavior. I think it’s supposed to alleviate boredom and burn off excess energy or something like that. I know from personal experience that beagles like to bark and just chalk that shit up to “beagles be weird” as it was so eloquently stated in a recent thread.

But you’re 100% right about shooting anything at the neighbors dogs and hoping to maintain any type of good relationship. Bottom line is the reasons for barking vary and it won’t stop unless the neighbors actively work to solve the problem.

Last edited by BeagleJesus; 10-05-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash2k View Post
I tried one of those with the late slash-dog. She barked at the noise the anti-bark collar made.

YMMV.
My friend had a dog that was a barker. He bought him a collar that spritzed something in his face when he barked. Maybe some citrus scent? I can't recall exactly, but it was supposed to discourage the dog from barking. Within a week, the dog figured out that if he just barked non-stop first thing in the morning, it either killed the collar's battery or ran it dry of juice. BarkBarkBarkBarkBark! with a big cloud of mist around his head.

Either way, it soon would stop spritzing, leaving him free to bark how he wished the rest of the day, without interference. My friend gave up on that collar.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:28 PM

My mid-daughter is having some success with squirt bottle of water. She got a plant mister and quickly realized she needed one with a stream shooter. She said right now there are several damp spots in the house.
The female Chihuahua is really stopping barking continuously. The male is being stubborn. He knows what's gonna happen when she picks up the sprayer. He's getting it. She has high hopes this is working.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 10-07-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:52 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

My idea for a great invention: It's a sound retroreflector with a 12 hour delay. It records dog noises and then returns the sounds with pinpoint accuracy (i.e., the rest of the neighborhood can't hear them) to the dog owner's home, exactly 12 hours later. So, if your dog barks non-stop from 8am to 5pm while you are at work, you get dog noises non-stop from 8pm until 5am.

We have one jerk in my neighborhood who deliberately opens all their windows, so the dog can bark out the window at individual air molecules. And it does. All day long. All. Day. Long.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:44 PM

The worst noise complaint I ever was a party to, on the recieving end, was at my MILs house. She lived in a closely packed subdivision. Her neighbor to the rear had a basketball goal. There wasn't concrete. They put a piece of plywood on the ground. The teenage son would bouce the basket ball on that piece of plywood. It reverberated right into the house like cannon shot. He bounced and bounced and bounced, took a shot at the backboard, bounced and bounced. On and on for hours at a time. I stayed all night with her on many occasions when her regular live-in help was on her off days. I talked, then begged those people to stop that kid from doing that every evening. With limited success. We finally had to register a noise complaint with LE. I hated to do it, as they were of limited means. After 2 times of the police being called the 3rd one would be a fine. I gave them fair warning, by screaming across the fence that I was calling the police. Never stopped bouncing that damn ball on that board. After the police came that time the goal was removed.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:54 PM

I got a thing for my dog called a Little Sonic Egg, that delivered a sound I couldn't hear but the dog could. I used it in conjunction with other training. I would say, "Enough," and if he didn't stop barking I would hit the button for approximately 1/10 of a second. And when he stopped I would give him a treat.

I used it twice and my husband used it once.

They have a bigger sonic egg that is supposed to work on, for instance, dogs next door. But I think it would have to be combined with training to be totally effective.

It did not work when aimed at squirrels.

I still have it, and I don't have the dog, so if anyone wants a Little Sonic Egg to try, PM me. Range of 15 feet.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
The worst noise complaint I ever was a party to, on the recieving end, was at my MILs house. She lived in a closely packed subdivision. Her neighbor to the rear had a basketball goal. There wasn't concrete. They put a piece of plywood on the ground. The teenage son would bouce the basket ball on that piece of plywood. It reverberated right into the house like cannon shot. He bounced and bounced and bounced, took a shot at the backboard, bounced and bounced. On and on for hours at a time. I stayed all night with her on many occasions when her regular live-in help was on her off days. I talked, then begged those people to stop that kid from doing that every evening. With limited success. We finally had to register a noise complaint with LE. I hated to do it, as they were of limited means. After 2 times of the police being called the 3rd one would be a fine. I gave them fair warning, by screaming across the fence that I was calling the police. Never stopped bouncing that damn ball on that board. After the police came that time the goal was removed.
Totally forgot to say to the OP; if you can't get cooperation from the neighbor, call in a noise complaint.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:18 PM

My friend used to bring his lil yapper over because we had a big fenced in yard (as did a lot of our friends). He bought a high freq zapper. It worked great on HIS dog. At least for a few minutes. One of my dogs would howl at it. My other dog became super distressed by it and would run and hide behind the toilet and drool on herself another friend's dog didn't seem to notice it all. Though he may have been deaf.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
My mid-daughter is having some success with squirt bottle of water. She got a plant mister and quickly realized she needed one with a stream shooter. She said right now there are several damp spots in the house.
The female Chihuahua is really stopping barking continuously. The male is being stubborn. He knows what's gonna happen when she picks up the sprayer. He's getting it. She has high hopes this is working.
That tracks with my experience using this method on 3 different dogs. Sounds like she's in the neighborhood and just needs a little more work and reinforcement to make the lesson stick.

I used to leave my spray bottle on the coffee table, and toward the end of this training I would only have to lean over and touch the bottle to shut down the noise. Then one day I came home after work and noticed the spray bottle was missing and there was a very conspicuous trail of water and plastic leading under the bed...
Old 10-08-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
That tracks with my experience using this method on 3 different dogs. Sounds like she's in the neighborhood and just needs a little more work and reinforcement to make the lesson stick.

I used to leave my spray bottle on the coffee table, and toward the end of this training I would only have to lean over and touch the bottle to shut down the noise. Then one day I came home after work and noticed the spray bottle was missing and there was a very conspicuous trail of water and plastic leading under the bed...
She reports, just today that all she's doing is picking up the bottle and they both shut up. She's tickled pink. Thanks so much, Jesus.
Oh and 'Amen'
Old 10-10-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
She reports, just today that all she's doing is picking up the bottle and they both shut up. She's tickled pink. Thanks so much, Jesus.
Oh and 'Amen'
Happy to hear that!

Please give the 2 dogs that got the water treatment a big hug from me. I'm sure they're feeling some kinda way right now and I always like to let my little JackAss crew know that it's not personal, just discipline.