Old 09-18-2019, 10:26 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Survivor 39 (Island of the Idols) debuts 9/25/19!

Link to bios.

Sandra and Boston Rob return as "mentors." My cursory look at the tribes leaves me unimpressed.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:31 PM

Yeah, I'm bummed about the two captains, both in terms of how the show premise will involve two veterans bestowing wisdom (or whatever), and because of the specific two people they picked. Nothing against Rob & Sandra, but please, anyone but Rob and Sandra! (Too harsh?)

I'll be watching regardless, so I guess the show is wise to ignore any complaints from me.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Bad captains, a perhaps misguided hook, no eye candy to speak of....

This will be a season I fast-forward through.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:46 PM

Eh, I thought David vs. Goliath was going to be bad and it ended up being one of the best. You just can't predict these anymore.

Last edited by enalzi; 09-18-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

I hope this is great. I know next season(February) is all winners. That should be interesting.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I hope this is great. I know next season(February) is all winners. That should be interesting.
That does sound good, but I hope it doesn't mean we get both Rob and Sandra two seasons in a row.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
That does sound good, but I hope it doesn't mean we get both Rob and Sandra two seasons in a row.
I'm guess they're on this one because they didn't want to come back for All Stars.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
I'm guess they're on this one because they didn't want to come back for All Stars.
It is speculation at this point, but I believe Sandra and Boston Rob are on season 40.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Maybe they'll take another cue from Hunger Games and make the tribe members actually murder each other at TC.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Maybe they'll take another cue from Hunger Games and make the tribe members actually murder each other at TC.
I heard they raised the payout to $2 million in order to encourage them to get out there.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Eh, I thought David vs. Goliath was going to be bad and it ended up being one of the best. You just can't predict these anymore.
Exactly. I'm just going to watch and see what happens. Although the "mentor" premise seems stupid and I've seen enough of Rob and Sandra. Hopefully the season can overcome all that.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Draft View Post
Exactly. I'm just going to watch and see what happens. Although the "mentor" premise seems stupid and I've seen enough of Rob and Sandra. Hopefully the season can overcome all that.
Yeah, I just hope they don't spend too much time with them. This show is best when it's about group dynamics, but the producers feel it's necessary to spend 10 minutes an episode on a player away from the game (Exile, Ghost, Extinction, etc.)
Old 09-19-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I heard they raised the payout to $2 million in order to encourage them to get out there.
Its amazing to me that the prize money (for regular shows) has not increased in 20 years.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:28 PM

The concept is silly and I'm totally prepared for this season to be a shitshow. That said, at least it should be a cheesy shitshow, and going in with low expectations means there's a better chance of being pleasantly surprised. And even crummy Survivor is still worth watching.

(I am much, much more disappointed that they will be ruining the all-winners season by returning the Edge of Extinction gimmick)
Old 09-26-2019, 01:17 PM

Watching somebody learn to make a fire (a skill which, frankly, every contestant with half a brain should have already learned and practiced over and over long before getting to the island) was not terribly entertaining, but the payoff was good. The lesson was less about making fire than about not taking foolish risks in the game. If all of the Idol Island visits are structured similarly I'll be OK with the concept.

I wonder how long it will be until somebody spills the beans and everybody knows Rob and Sandra are there. My guess is, not very long.

Ronny was clearly a snake, and a smart first vote by the tribe. I don't think he even would have made a fun villain; good riddance. There seem to be a few interesting personalities and the potential for a fun season. Like enlazi said, though, you just never can tell.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post

I wonder how long it will be until somebody spills the beans and everybody knows Rob and Sandra are there. My guess is, not very long.
And then Elizabeth will be exposed as having lied, not good.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-P L View Post
And then Elizabeth will be exposed as having lied, not good.
Why even lie about something like this? I understand if she hid some details about her immunity idol challenge, but her pathetic lie about the entire situation over there is the kind of thing that an even brief think would reject. Ridiculous and it will be immediately revealed by the next person who gets sent there.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

It would have been better for her to just say "I can't talk about it." and leave it at that. Everybody will think she got instructions or something and not worry.

So far not as bad as I thought it was going to be. There. I just jinxed it!
Old 09-26-2019, 11:55 PM

I thought it was a pretty good start, although I’m sad as a poker player to see the poker pro go out first. Got to give that one woman credit though for seeing right through him. Apparently his bluffing game is not as strong as he thinks—or else she is very good at reading people and ought to take up poker herself.

Interesting that Rob had a better offer if she held out. And yeah, I get that she’s an Olympic swimmer and likes to compete, but she just learned how to make fire and it was pretty easy for Rob to destroy her. Showoff!
Old 09-27-2019, 07:46 AM

So we all agree that part of Boston Rob's compensation is that he gets to take the gigantic statue of himself home and put it in his back yard, right?

I really hope we don't lose 1/4 of each episode to Rob & Sandra. I'm out if that's what actually occurs. And Elizabeth was a moron to (1) accept the challenge and (2) make up a remarkably dumb lie.

I did like the Spy Shack for R&S at tribal though.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

1. FRONT yard

2. Yes, and

3. Yes

Clumsy lie that could have been easily avoided and there was no freaking way she should have challenged BR. What could get interesting is when the truth of the mentors becomes common knowledge. I think then you'll see tribes start targeting anybody who gets sent there. Which means if you fail to get immunity from the mentors, you are gone.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
1. FRONT yard
So for some reason I thought he lived in one of the pricier Boston burbs, where the front yard wouldn't past muster. But it turns out he lives in Florida, so yes, front yard. Lit 24/7, possibly rotating.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:24 AM

I’m going to embrace the cheesiness of the Rob/Sandra thing and put it in the category with things like when they had a big treasure chest of cash on stage, or when they’d show Jeff jumping on a jet ski with the votes and then walk on stage for the live count wearing the same outfit.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:45 PM

First part of the episode really dragged, but that's pretty common for the first episode, gotta introduce everyone. The Rob and Sandra stuff feels like just the right amount of cheese.

I didn't blame Elizabeth for trying the challenge, personally. Not because I thought she had a good shot at winning, but because I figured the downside wasn't that important (the first vote usually isn't a 5-5 split where your individual vote matters). Interesting that Rob could've upped the ante, though. And I do agree her lie was a bad one... but I do almost wonder if production wanted her to just keep quiet about Rob and Sandra though.

I wonder if the names are permanently removed from the bags so everyone gets a shot at going (until they're voted out of course).
Old 09-30-2019, 07:20 AM

I like that there are all new players competing.

If you're ever bored on a rainy day, go back and watch some of the early season episodes. They have this weird PBS vibe like the whole thing is just a big social experiment paid for by the Chubb Group and Viewers Like You.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:17 AM

That reminds me, and forgive the off-topic tangent...

Is there any way to legally watch Amazing Race 30 for free? During my free 30 day hulu trial, I saw they offered TAR seasons 1 through 29. Amazon Prime offers seasons 31 and after for free. So every season except 30 appears to be available. What's up with that?

The only season I specifically wanted to rewatch was 30, and that's the only season not available? Hard not to feel like the universe is messing with me.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 09-30-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
And I do agree her lie was a bad one... but I do almost wonder if production wanted her to just keep quiet about Rob and Sandra though.
I would've said the whole thing except for the challenge part. And say that you can now make fire after the tribal council.

Quote:
I wonder if the names are permanently removed from the bags so everyone gets a shot at going (until they're voted out of course).
I assumed that's what they're doing. Otherwise they would've just drawn rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
If you're ever bored on a rainy day, go back and watch some of the early season episodes. They have this weird PBS vibe like the whole thing is just a big social experiment paid for by the Chubb Group and Viewers Like You.
And then you hit the middle seasons where you can win some Pizza Hut Pizza at the Charmin Toilet Paper Lounge while calling your loved ones on a Motorola Razr, brought to you by Cingular.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
...And then you hit the middle seasons where you can win some Pizza Hut Pizza at the Charmin Toilet Paper Lounge while calling your loved ones on a Motorola Razr, brought to you by Cingular.
Coach was the absolute master of those, "I can't believe the picture quality on this new Motorola phone, and I'm loving that it now comes in new designer colors, including volcano and heather!"
Old 09-30-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I would've said the whole thing except for the challenge part. And say that you can now make fire after the tribal council.

And then you hit the middle seasons where you can win some Pizza Hut Pizza at the Charmin Toilet Paper Lounge while calling your loved ones on a Motorola Razr, brought to you by Cingular.
And the late, unlamented car giveaway, which for some reason was seen as a jinx.

I wonder if at the outset, Mark Burnett et al actually saw his creation as an exercise in survival, where the winner would be the person who was best at spearing fish and building fires. Then Richard Hatch unexpectedly invented the Alliance, and the whole dynamic of the show changed on the fly.

Last edited by jsc1953; 09-30-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Then Richard Hatch unexpectedly invented the Alliance, and the whole dynamic of the show changed on the fly.
I actually didn't watch the second season. I thought "Well everyone just knows to make an alliance now. What's the fun in that?"
Old 10-01-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I actually didn't watch the second season. I thought "Well everyone just knows to make an alliance now. What's the fun in that?"
It actually didn't take long for the game to evolve beyond that. I don't recall the particular dynamics, but in season 2, the second and fourth players voted out post-merge were from the majority tribe, so clearly there was more going on.

I do recall enjoying season 2 more than season 1, and was glad I gave it another chance.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It actually didn't take long for the game to evolve beyond that. I don't recall the particular dynamics, but in season 2, the second and fourth players voted out post-merge were from the majority tribe, so clearly there was more going on.

I do recall enjoying season 2 more than season 1, and was glad I gave it another chance.
While season 1 was special, I would agree that season 2 was superior. The only season, I think, they made them stay out for 42 days instead of 39. The flood that washed away their camp, so many memorable moments and great players.

Overall, a great season. It was the third season(Africa) that was kind of dull, though it did produce Big Tom, an all time fun character.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Overall, a great season. It was the third season(Africa) that was kind of dull, though it did produce Big Tom, an all time fun character.
Africa had a barely survivable water source, as I recall -- they were basically drinking from a muddy hoofprint* for 39 days. After that, the producers guaranteed unlimited drinking water.

A great line from True Grit.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:57 PM

I actually liked Africa. But I may be biased because I was born in Kenya.

Quote:

Quote:

LOL, these are both so true.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:03 AM

First blindside! You'd think players would know by now it's bad to be ahead earlier these days.

Never seen people so excited over spices.

Kellee came up with pretty much the same lie in regards to IOTI, but next ep someone from a tribe who's already been will go so... maybe we'll finally see the secret get out.

Quote:
I read an essay once that made a really strong argument that Tina played a masterful game of manipulation in Season 2. The public at large disliked the whole 'alliance' angle and felt it was a cheap way for weaker/unlikeable players to team up and take out stronger/likeable players. So no one wanted to be seen doing the same thing, but Tina did a good job of getting people to vote out the "least deserving," who just happened to be the people she wasn't allied with. I haven't seen Season 2 since it's original airing so can't speak to it myself though.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:07 AM

I remember feeling like the alliance deal was an unfortunate subversion of the spirit of the game. Now I can’t imagine the show without alliances.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:50 PM

So long, Molly, we hardly knew ye. What an absolute shocker that the cute girl got voted out first from her tribe. That's only happened like 50 times.

I was cracking up at her alliance a) thinking they were flying under the radar, b) taking a nap because the vote was all locked up, and c) saying out loud at tribal council that they didn't really have to play very hard yet. It's a "Survivor dumb-ass" hat trick!
Old 10-03-2019, 02:24 PM

Is the new PC term "tribe culture"? I think it was Molly saying it the most too. I like yoga lady she has crazy eyes...
Old 10-03-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaming yawn View Post
Is the new PC term "tribe culture"? I think it was Molly saying it the most too. I like yoga lady she has crazy eyes...
There's nothing PC about the term "culture"...it's kind of a carry-over from corporate buzzword vocabulary. A corporate culture is just things like: what time do we go to lunch; do we have casual Fridays?
Old 10-03-2019, 09:42 PM

Right.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:56 PM

Another surprise... I really thought Vince was gonna be around for the long haul since his screentime had been pretty positive, especially getting in Sandra and Boston Rob's comments about liking him last TC.

They didn't touch at all on Vince being asked about IotI. He was the first one in a position to blow up someone else's game with the info. Kinda suspect...

Really cool challenge too with the tribe-wide balance beam. Of course they tacked a puzzle onto the end of it and it always seems to come down to that. Karishma deserved to go home just for that.

Last edited by magnusblitz; 10-09-2019 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes. Altho I really dont like Sandra and am not a fan of Boston Rob, the actual cast has a wide variety and some interesting members. Good choices there. And other than having to listen to those two blowhards and egoists, the Idol island hasnt been terrible.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:38 AM

We're seeing a lot of variations of "retrieve thing - navigate obstacle course - assemble puzzle"....but the teeter-totter was a really cool addition.

When you get right down to it, Island of the Idols is really just a slight twist from previous gimmicks -- somebody goes off-island and has an opportunity to gain an advantage. They just added the cult of personality, in the form of Rob and Sandra. (I do wonder how they built the giant wooden likenesses, though.)
Old 10-11-2019, 09:53 AM

I hate the way they edit Survivor these days. They shouldn't have left out what Vince and Elizabeth did and said when he came back from Rob-n-Sandra Island. I doze through the competitions and the forced story lines about peoples' "journeys." They could cut those shorter. And every tribal council doesn't need to be a blindside for the audience.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
...They didn't touch at all on Vince being asked about IotI. He was the first one in a position to blow up someone else's game with the info. Kinda suspect....
It seems like they tell people coming back from the island not to ruin the surprise of Rob and Sandra.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:56 PM

They claim this is completely up to the players themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Fingers View Post
I hate the way they edit Survivor these days. They shouldn't have left out what Vince and Elizabeth did and said when he came back from Rob-n-Sandra Island. I doze through the competitions and the forced story lines about peoples' "journeys." They could cut those shorter. And every tribal council doesn't need to be a blindside for the audience.

Cosigned. BTW, are you a Minnesota Vikings fan, or is your name just a coincidence?
Old 10-11-2019, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
They claim this is completely up to the players themselves.

I will bet they suggest it.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:41 PM

Could be.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:28 PM

Heard Vince's exit interview with RHAP, and Rob Cesternino asked about whether he was allowed to tell the tribe about BostonRob and Sandra.

Vince wasn't sure if he could answer the question so he didn't answer.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:46 PM

The fire-stealing challenge was... interesting.
Some of the tribe definitely heard Vince sneaking around their camp. But they are probably used to that since there are always camera people walking around. If there had actually been a fire, and he had to make his getaway carrying a flaming torch, the task would have been exponetially more difficult. Still, that wasn't his fault, and I was kind of glad they gave him credit for the ashes.

BUT. When you have an idol that is good for only two Tribal Councils, and you know people suspect you have an idol, and you know your name has been brought up... Just how dumb do you have to be to go home with the idol in your pocket??? I kind of liked Vince, but I can't really feel sorry for him.