Old 10-09-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleonast View Post
My family loves this game, but we have a bunch of house rules.
* No robber, no deserts.
* No hiding your cards.
* No dice, but a homemade deck of 30 cards, labeled 2-6, 8-12 in the same frequency as two dice. Reshuffle once every card is drawn.
* If on your turn, you don’t draw any resources, you get a free development card.
* Game ends after specific number of shuffles.
* Goal is to see how much of the island gets developed.
That is... functionally an entirely new game.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:01 PM

I played this game in virtual reality on my Oculus Go which was an interesting experience. It doesn't replicate the real boardgaming experience of course but it takes a step in that direction and feels more real than just playing on a screen. I was playing against AI avatars but you could easily have human opponents and voice chat which would certainly take the experience up a few notches. Like with a lot of current VR the resolution was rather low but that is just a matter of time. In a few years time I think VR boardgaming could be a pretty decent substitute for the real thing.

The game itself was OK. I played around a dozen games which was enough for me to understand the basics and beat the AI but I don't think there was enough depth to make me want to play it regularly.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airk View Post
There was somebody on BGG who said that he plays Shogun (the Queen Games version) without the programmed moves. The players just choose an action when it's their turn.

Several people questioned why he was playing this game if he didn't want to play the central mechanic of it.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
They sold 22 million copies. But there's over six billion people in the world. Clearly, vastly more people would prefer not to play Catan than to play it.

Therefore, I'm right.
Nope, they sold more than 22 million copies, but we don't know exactly how many more, so it could be five billion.

Therefore, you're wrong.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, yeah, we've made it fun to play.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:54 AM

I’ve played Settlers of Catan a couple of times. I don’t get the appeal. It’s not terrible, if I was with some people who loved it and asked me to play I would. There are just so many better games out there.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:48 PM

The best version I played was Die Siedler von Nürnberg. Much more complex than Settlers, and more fun.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

But you inevitably end up having to put down two road pieces in the same place.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Well, yeah, we've made it fun to play.
And that's roughly the scope of the changes I think are required to get there. Did you copy those houserules from somewhere, or were you just that bored that you kept playing and houseruling until the game got good?
Old 10-14-2019, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And that's roughly the scope of the changes I think are required to get there. Did you copy those houserules from somewhere, or were you just that bored that you kept playing and houseruling until the game got good?
We came up with them over many play-throughs. We like the basic loop of the game: get resources, trade resources, build stuff. So we eliminated the parts that were not fun.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
We came up with them over many play-throughs. We like the basic loop of the game: get resources, trade resources, build stuff. So we eliminated the parts that were not fun.
I guess it reflects a difference in philosophies that I would have just said "Screw it, there has to be a better game than this" and put Catan out to pasture.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I guess it reflects a difference in philosophies that I would have just said "Screw it, there has to be a better game than this" and put Catan out to pasture.
Not so different, I think. It’s just our better game happens to use the pieces of Settlers.