Old 10-09-2019, 09:46 AM

New Fall TV Shows

What new TV shows has everyone tried out? Which ones are keepers?

My keepers:

The Unicorn
Stumptown
Bluff City Law
Prodigal Son
Evil

Not sure yet:

Perfect Harmony
All Rise
Emergence

Tried and deemed a fail:

Bob (Hearts) Abishola
Carol's Second Act
Old 10-09-2019, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

I've been watching Emergence because it's "set" in my home town. Not shot there, and it's clear the writers never set foot in it or even looked it up on a map. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered -- I do like the characters and actors, but the plot is a pretty routine Evil Conspiracy. I'll probably stay for a few more weeks to see what they get wrong.

Batwoman was interesting enough to try again.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:31 AM

Wanted to like The Unicorn because of Walton Goggins. The premiere had its moments, but after two episodes, I think I'm out. In my mind he's still Boyd Crowder from Justified. Unfair, but I can't help it. His last attempt at comedy didn't go over too well with me either. I can't remember the show. Comedy's tough.

Watched the premiere of Bob/Abishola. Thumbs down.

None of the other shows listed intrigue me.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:17 PM

We gave up on Bluff City Law, too formulaic and the cast seems to lack chemistry.

Emergence is tolerable for now but I'm afraid it's going to get as silly as Zoo ro Under The Dome. I like the child actress, I think she's got potential for a great career.

Evil has some promise. Love the monster George. And the guy who played Finch in Person of Interest is great in his devilish role here. Of the lot, I think this is my best bet.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:19 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I've started "Stumptown". It's ok so far - I really like Jake Johnson (Nick from "The New Girl") so I watch for him. The show is pretty formulaic, though - I remember it being called "Terriers" with Donal Logue a couple years ago...

I'm a fan of "Black-ish" so I'm watching "Mixed-ish". I really do enjoy shows about cultures and life experiences that are different than mine so it works for me. Gary Cole (the boss from Office Space, also from "Veep") is a bit of a gem in this one! He's on the tip of too cartoonish as the rich white dad/grandpa but the role is kept in check.

Personal I think it's funny you can't watch Walton Goggins in a comedy! I've only seen him in "Vice Principals" and "The Righteous Gemstones" (both Danny McBride joints) and I couldn't imagine him in a serious role! I'll have to check out "The Unicorn".

Last edited by ZipperJJ; 10-09-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:18 PM

^^Vice Principals! That was the one I couldn't think of. I generally like Danny McBride stuff too, but I couldn't get into it. I wouldn't be surprised if you liked The Unicorn. The writing's not too bad, actually. I think I see where the show is headed though, and I don't know if I can do that ep after ep. And there's the Walton Goggins thing. Really is a great actor. Just not in this role. He played a transexual in Sons of Anarchy in a couple of episodes and was excellent there too.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:28 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Stumptown is about it. All the rest either don't interest me in the least or were so bad that I turned them off mid-show Episode 1.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:03 AM

[QUOTE=Personal;21906819]Wanted to like The Unicorn because of Walton Goggins. The premiere had its moments, but after two episodes, I think I'm out. In my mind he's still Boyd Crowder from Justified. Unfair, but I can't help it. His last attempt at comedy didn't go over too well with me either. I can't remember the show. Comedy's tough.

When I first saw the previews for The Unicorn I thought - no way. I couldn't imagine Goggins as anyone but Boyd Crowder. I've never seen him in anything else and this role is so far removed from Boyd! But I was surprised.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:10 PM

I heard a commercial for 'ALL Rise' on the radio. There were several small clips of dialog. Sounded like the worst acting ever.

-God
Old 10-10-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
I've started "Stumptown". It's ok so far - I really like Jake Johnson (Nick from "The New Girl") so I watch for him. The show is pretty formulaic, though - I remember it being called "Terriers" with Donal Logue a couple years ago...
Well Donal Logue just showed up in the 3rd episode.

And that was a great show.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:43 PM

I tried Mixed-ish. I love Black-ish; I like Grown-ish; I didn't like Mixed-ish. I think the main problem is the way Rainbow's family was developed on Black-ish, they just don't work as the regulars on a show.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:11 PM

We may give Evil 1 more shot but this last episode did not thrill us at the end with the drug use, not that we have anything against drug use per se, but I found it unnecessary. We did learn that you can't read in a dream, anxious to try that out

Last edited by DummyGladHands; 10-10-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:34 PM

Bluff City Law, is the law procedural with Jimmy Smith right?
Old 10-11-2019, 07:14 AM

*Jimmy Smits. Damn autocorrect.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:40 AM

We watched the first episode of Carol's Second Act last night.

Egad. The worst "laugh" track I've heard in a while. Completely intrusive. Most "jokes" failed but there were maybe two that were actually funny. And the over acting- just "Egad", again.

When Kyle MacLachlan in a smaller role is the highlight of the show, you're in deep trouble.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

I'm enjoying Stumptown and Emergence so far.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

I've been watching Sunnyside and it's an intriguing show. The title doesn't give any clues, but it's about the immigrant experience these days, with issues about green cards, ICE, and Dreamers. Kal Penn overacts a bit, but the supporting cast is good, and there are enough funny bits to keep me interested. Penn created it, and Michael Shur of The Good Place was one of the producers.

Best part are Jun Ho and Mei Lin, rich and spoiled brother and sister, who have no idea how the real world works or how much things cost.

It's still a bit uneven, but has more laughs than most sitcoms these days.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Bluff City Law, is the law procedural with Jimmy Smith right?
Yep!
Old 10-11-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
We watched the first episode of Carol's Second Act last night.

Egad. The worst "laugh" track I've heard in a while. Completely intrusive. Most "jokes" failed but there were maybe two that were actually funny. And the over acting- just "Egad", again.

When Kyle MacLachlan in a smaller role is the highlight of the show, you're in deep trouble.
I gave this show the benefit of all doubt, and suffered through the first two episodes. I couldn't make it through the third. It was just awful.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:36 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I had been meaning to check out "Sunnyvale", as I like Kal Penn. I'll give it a try.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:13 PM

We are enjoying Perfect Harmony, so far that’s the only new one we’ve checked out.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:08 AM

When it comes to most of the recent fall television seasons, I've barely been sufficiently intrigued to check out more than one new network offering, but this time around, I have taken a fairly big bite. So far, I have been watching Evil, All Rise, Prodigal Son and Bluff City Law, roughly in descending order of how much I look forward to them. I thought the pilot for Evil was particularly impressive.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:14 PM

So far I've watched:

The Unicorn - I tuned in for Walton Goggins (who will always be Shane Vendrell [The Shield] to me, despite his amazing turn in Sons of Anarchy), and I'm liking it more than I expected to. I'm also oddly amused by seeing Ballers' Rob Corddry and Omar Benson Miller together on this show.

Stumptown - I like it. I like Cobie Smulders more in this than I did in How I Met Your Mother, and the recent addition of Donal Logue -- in at least a recurring role -- has made it even more of a keeper. (And yes, Terriers was an awesome show!)

Bluff City Law - I didn't make it past the second episode. I love Jimmy Smits and I thought the premise had promise, but I found the daughter character to be unwatchable. I don't have any patience for even fictional adults who have temper tantrums.

Mixed-ish - I'm still on the fence about this show. I like the cast (and laughed at Mark-Paul Gosselaar's "saved by the bell" joke despite myself), but so far it's too much preaching and not enough comedy. I'm only 2 years older than the Rainbow character, so maybe it's just too familiar. For whatever reason, though, I'm not ready to cancel my season pass just yet.

Perfect Harmony - Ugh. Another setup with a lot of promise, but it's just an excuse for Bradley Whitford to be super grumpy and for Anna Camp to sing random songs and have a southern accent while surrounded by caricatures.

All Rise - I'm on the fence about this show, too. I think it's heading for "cancelled season pass"-ville, but I'll give it another episode or two.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Nancy Drew -- meh. I do like the actress playing Nancy. I'm most intrigued that the dad is played by Scott Wolf (I know it has been a long time since "Party of Five" but still to see him as the father was a bit of a shock)
I will watch a few more episodes -- curious if there is a non supernatural explanation.

Brian
Old 10-15-2019, 05:06 PM

We watched the first episodes of Stumptown and Bob Hearts Abishola.

Stumptown had some good parts and some really stupid stuff. I.e., the indestructible car. Is this supposed to be a running gag? And if you're being attacked while driving just stomp on the breaks. Will watch some more.

BHA had a few really nice touches. The credits and such being 3D. The use of non-English as a matter-of-fact thing. And of course Vernee Watson as a nurse! But named "Gloria" for some reason.

Bob's family is a waste of Precious Bodily Fluids. Abishola's family, OTOH, is a waste of a great actor: Barry Shabaka Henley.

And an absolutely horrible laugh track. As bad as it is, it's still a ton better than Carol's Second Chance's.

May try one more episode.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post
Nancy Drew -- meh. I do like the actress playing Nancy. I'm most intrigued that the dad is played by Scott Wolf (I know it has been a long time since "Party of Five" but still to see him as the father was a bit of a shock)
I will watch a few more episodes -- curious if there is a non supernatural explanation.
Same here. I was saying to myself "Hey, that's Bailey! Isn't that Bailey? Yep, Bailey. Is he the Wolf or the Fox?"
Also hope the explanation involves nothing supernatural (unless it leads to a crossover with Supernatural, which would be cool.) If it doesn't, then that has to mean that the
SPOILER:
psychic
is part of it somehow.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:31 PM

Sunnyside down.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

I absolutely love Bob Hearts Abishola. So far, I'm pretty sold on The Unicorn, but if it devolves into glurge I'm out.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
I was hopeful about that, mostly because of Michael Schur's involvement and I liked Kal Penn in the Harold & Kumar films. But the show itself was not great. Kind of weak actually.