Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-07-2019, 11:55 AM
Anny Middon is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,207

Is this a scam? Either way, what's the point?


I received an email that says it's from service@paypal.com, the subject "Your claim has been paid." On preview it says "Opia US Inc has sent you $20.00 USD." Later it says "Please note it may take a little while for this payment to appear in the Activity section of your account."

I do not remember filing for any claim of $20.00. A Google search on "Opia US Inc claim" yielded nothing relevant.

So, is this an actual claim? If so, shouldn't I receive something from Opia or whoever telling me about it? If not, what's the point? Are they trying to get my Paypal password if I click on "Get Details"? If that's their plan, if someone is foolish enough to click on the link, would they have any recourse when a large payment is made from their credit card for nonexistent goods or services?
  #2  
Old 10-07-2019, 12:04 PM
Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 39,990
Opia appears to be a sales marketing firm. The $20 is a discount off the price of whatever they can sell you. There was never any claim. Delete it and go on with your life.

Regards,
Shodan
  #3  
Old 10-07-2019, 01:32 PM
Anny Middon is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Opia appears to be a sales marketing firm. The $20 is a discount off the price of whatever they can sell you. There was never any claim. Delete it and go on with your life.

Regards,
Shodan
Why do it through Paypal? Shouldn't Paypal put the kibosh on this sort of thing?
  #4  
Old 10-07-2019, 01:42 PM
Hari Seldon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Trantor
Posts: 13,067
Couldn't it be pure phishing? In any case, just delete it.
  #5  
Old 10-07-2019, 01:48 PM
Musicat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Posts: 21,267
Whatever you do, don't try to access your PayPal account thru a link in the suspicious email. If you want to check your account, enter it thru a browser URL that you typed in manually. Better yet, use another computer and browser if you can.
  #6  
Old 10-07-2019, 02:30 PM
Mangetout's Avatar
Mangetout is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: England
Posts: 57,943
If you click the link, you'd be taken to a fake PayPal login page that would first ask for your PayPal login details, then your personal details, bank account, credit card etc - which would be used to steal your identity and your money, and hijack your account for the purposes of money laundering, ebay feedback farming scamming more people, etc.

Last edited by Mangetout; 10-07-2019 at 02:30 PM.
  #7  
Old 10-07-2019, 02:37 PM
Telemark's Avatar
Telemark is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Just outside of Titletown
Posts: 22,989
They're looking to establish a dialog with you, and to extract useful information. This could be a bogus link to a fake Paypal, EBay, Amazon, or Google site, getting you to give them personal info to "facilitate" getting you your refund, or just infect your PC. The hook is irrelevant, they just want to get your attention.
  #8  
Old 10-07-2019, 06:41 PM
Tim@T-Bonham.net is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 15,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
Why do it through Paypal? Shouldn't Paypal put the kibosh on this sort of thing?
Why would they? As long as PayPal gets their cut ...
  #9  
Old 10-08-2019, 12:01 PM
ftg's Avatar
ftg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Not the PNW :-(
Posts: 20,309
How did you establish it actually came from PayPal or had anything to do with real PayPal activity? The "From:" line is useless in this regard.
  #10  
Old 10-08-2019, 02:03 PM
Anny Middon is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
How did you establish it actually came from PayPal or had anything to do with real PayPal activity? The "From:" line is useless in this regard.
I didn't establish it was from Paypal, and assumed if it is as appears a scam, that it was not indeed from Paypal. Which is why I was wondering why Paypal isn't taking action against the perpetrators.
  #11  
Old 10-08-2019, 02:04 PM
Anny Middon is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@T-Bonham.net View Post
Why would they? As long as PayPal gets their cut ...
Assuming they are scamming me, I don't understand how Paypal would ever get a cut.
  #12  
Old 10-08-2019, 02:25 PM
Roderick Femm's Avatar
Roderick Femm is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On the cusp, also in SF
Posts: 7,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
I didn't establish it was from Paypal, and assumed if it is as appears a scam, that it was not indeed from Paypal. Which is why I was wondering why Paypal isn't taking action against the perpetrators.
I would be surprised if there were any effective way of Paypal preventing scammers from spoofing their site. I'm not at all clear how they would do that. The actual email address of the scammer/spoofer would have no connection to Paypal.
  #13  
Old 10-08-2019, 02:26 PM
Tim@T-Bonham.net is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 15,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
I didn't establish it was from Paypal, and assumed if it is as appears a scam, that it was not indeed from Paypal. Which is why I was wondering why Paypal isn't taking action against the perpetrators.
I'm not sure what action you think Paypal could take?
Force some anonymous fraudster somewhere on the internet to stop sending out scam emails using their Paypal name in vain? Lotsa luck with that.

That's the point of these scams: they come from some anonymous, untraceable source. The money might be traced, but it disappears into some country where the government/banking regulators allow it to hide (or are even a part of the scam).
  #14  
Old 10-08-2019, 04:29 PM
atimnie's Avatar
atimnie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2,468
Rule of thumb: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true. Even something as mundane as $20 is most likely a scam. If you haven't already done this, set up your email so that scams like this get sent directly to the junk mail folder, so you won't even be tempted to open it.
__________________
Wait, you can do signatures?
  #15  
Old 10-08-2019, 04:59 PM
Mangetout's Avatar
Mangetout is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: England
Posts: 57,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@T-Bonham.net View Post
I'm not sure what action you think Paypal could take?
PayPal will take action to disable the spoof page that the link in the phishing email points to.

They're actually pretty good at it - I have been researching this for a video I am making about what happens when you click on a phishing email link - the i get dozens of the fake PayPal messages in a spam trap mailbox I use solely for this purpose - and in most cases I have been looking at, the phishing site is gone in a small number of hours after the timestamp on the email.

Other phishing sites stay up for longer, but PayPal is pretty responsive and effective on reported phishing.
  #16  
Old 10-09-2019, 12:00 PM
Anny Middon is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,207
The plot thickens.

I got an email from Paypal saying I have money in my account. So I went to my browser and logged into Paypal, and sure enough there's $20 from Opia US Inc.

WTF?
  #17  
Old 10-09-2019, 12:10 PM
Musicat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Posts: 21,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
The plot thickens.

I got an email from Paypal saying I have money in my account. So I went to my browser and logged into Paypal, and sure enough there's $20 from Opia US Inc.

WTF?
Please forgive me for being suspicious (if everyone's out to get you, being paranoid is just good thinking). But did you log in to your Paypal account in a manner which is legitimate and safe, i.e.; entering the URL manually, not clicking on a questionable link?
  #18  
Old 10-09-2019, 12:30 PM
Anny Middon is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
Please forgive me for being suspicious (if everyone's out to get you, being paranoid is just good thinking). But did you log in to your Paypal account in a manner which is legitimate and safe, i.e.; entering the URL manually, not clicking on a questionable link?
Yes, I did.

Then a minute ago I relogged in and clicked on the transaction. It's a rebate. I have no idea what for, but perhaps Mr. Middon knows.
  #19  
Old 10-09-2019, 12:36 PM
Musicat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Posts: 21,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
Yes, I did.

Then a minute ago I relogged in and clicked on the transaction. It's a rebate. I have no idea what for, but perhaps Mr. Middon knows.
Excellent. Paypal rebates should include references to the source, like a phone # or URL. Have you pursued this for clarification?
  #20  
Old 10-09-2019, 08:10 PM
Tim@T-Bonham.net is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 15,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
The plot thickens.

I got an email from Paypal saying I have money in my account. So I went to my browser and logged into Paypal, and sure enough there's $20 from Opia US Inc.

WTF?
There used to be a semi-scam where a company would offer to give you a small amount ($1 or less) . But accepting this amount created a 'business relationship' between you, so they were now free from Do-Not-Call restrictions. (This was back in the day when the Do-Not-Call list meant something. Now every scammy company just ignores it.)
  #21  
Old 10-10-2019, 11:43 AM
Anny Middon is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
Excellent. Paypal rebates should include references to the source, like a phone # or URL. Have you pursued this for clarification?
Mystery solved. Mr. Middon ordered software using Paypal with a $20 rebate. The confirmation email on the rebate went to his email address, but our Paypal account uses my address.

I still don't know why Paypal initially called it a "claim."
  #22  
Old 10-10-2019, 01:44 PM
digs's Avatar
digs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 9,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
Mystery solved. Mr. Middon ordered software using Paypal with a $20 rebate. The confirmation email on the rebate went to his email address, but our Paypal account uses my address.

I still don't know why Paypal initially called it a "claim."
Did not expect this to have arational explanation, thanks for letting us know.

We had an analog version, where we got expensive binoculars in the mail. No return address, and no one never asked for payment! USPS said "This happens, probably a scammer trying out a stolen CC, but no one to return them to, so they're yours."
  #23  
Old 10-12-2019, 01:47 PM
Brayne Ded is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Europe
Posts: 437

A raw view


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
I would be surprised if there were any effective way of Paypal preventing scammers from spoofing their site. I'm not at all clear how they would do that. The actual email address of the scammer/spoofer would have no connection to Paypal.
The scammers simply ask you to click a link. Needless to add, it does take you to the real PaypPal site, but to a very convincing fake instead.

Whatever program you use, check the e-mail by using soemhting like Raw view, or whatever your program calls it. This shows the HTML or XML code of the e-mail, and you can then check who actually sent it, and where that supposed link actually goes to.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017