Old 10-09-2019, 08:18 AM

English "mist" means "manure" in German, therefore "Misty" is one of the less fortunate first names
Old 10-09-2019, 11:42 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
Just curious -- is the male name Randall used in Australia? In the US it is commonly shortened to Randy; is Randall not used or is it just the nickname that doesn't occur?

My friend did quickly learn not to introduce herself to new people by saying "Hi, I'm Randi."
"Fanny" as a name has some problems in the US but it's much worse in Australia and NZ, where it means vulva instead of buttocks.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

I'm surprised we're not hearing how funny "Malleus, Incus, Stapes!" sounds in other languages.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:52 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

I'm told that the Pixar film Coco is known in Brazil as Viva, since the original title could easily be mistaken by the Portuguese word "cocô", which translates to "poop." The character Coco was renamed Ines.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napier View Post
I'm surprised we're not hearing how funny "Malleus, Incus, Stapes!" sounds in other languages.
Okay, sure. "Malleus, Incus, Stapes!" sounds funny in English, or at the very least is fun to say.

yours,
HammerAnvilStirrup
Old 10-10-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Jamie sounds pretty silly in Spanish. I'm told.
I don't speak any kind of the spanish language so if I'm wrong *Nava* you can set me straight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseB View Post
Native Spanish speaker here. To me, “Jamie” (the name, I imagine) doesn’t sound like anything in particular...
Yeah, it just sounds like "Yéimi". We do tend to write it wrong due to being so close to the Spanish Jaime, but that's a matter of remembering they're actually two different names.

Quote:
The phenomenon discussed in this thread happens A LOT between Spanish and Japanese. Both languages have rather similar phonemic inventories, and there are quite a few words that sound the same in both... and, probably due to some kind of cosmic joke (or because God has a weird sense of humor), a perfectly normal word in one language will have an insulting, silly or straight-up obscene meaning in the other.
You left out the whole mountain of jokes derived from the Japanese word yama sounding like the Spanish llama. "Mountain" vs. "(s)he calls". The lastname Yamamoto becomes "(s)he calls a motorbike", etc.

Quote:
Maybe the person was parsing the word as ”copro” + “ducto” and, by comparison with “acueducto” (=“aquaduct”) thought that it meant some kind of structure to carry shit away (a sewer, perhaps?).
If that is so and as I said, it's back to The Roots of Spanish with them, but Ockam's Razor says it's a lot more likely that he was just being funny (for very limited amounts of "funny": "let's confuse the foreigner" is the kind of joke that's found funny by the same people who like asking questions that they believe insulting).
Old 10-12-2019, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
This thread reminded me of a joke from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt that claimed that in Vietnamese Kimmy means penis (The joke comes from the fact that this was said by a Vietnamese man named Dong). I have never been sure if that's actually true, or if the writers just made that up for the sake of the joke.
I can answer that one: it was just for the joke. There are a number of slang words for penis, but none of them sound anything like Kimmy. However, they also joked that in Vietnamese "street" and "sugar" are the same word and that’s true. (Đường)

Greg in Vietnamese sounds like "rét", which means freezing cold. Charles was mangled in a lot of different ways, but sometimes sounded like "chân", which means feet.