Old 09-26-2004, 03:32 PM

Open your door, smack a biker?

This is my last sincere question today, I promise. It's a beautiful day, so I went for a drive. So did a buncha bikers.
I know this to be a fable near and dear to the hearts of many motorcyclists, but I suspect urban legend. I've been driving for many years and I've personally seen it happen. I don't know even one rider who's had it happen to them. Always it's a friend of a cousin, etc.
Has anyone ever had a driver in a car open their door in traffic is an attempt to crash your motorcycle? Has anyone ever personally witnessed such an act?
Not the idiot at a curb who's not paying attention, that does happen, but an intentional attempt at murder.
Easy bonus question;
If Harley riders see a guy riding a Harley wearing a conventional helmet instead of one of those little brain buckets, will they yank him off the bike and beat him up?
Peace,
mangeorge
Old 09-26-2004, 04:46 PM

For those dopers not from California, in California it is legal for motorcyles to ride between lanes. AFAIK California is the only state where this is legal.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:56 PM

mg: Has anyone ever had a driver in a car open their door in traffic [in] an attempt to crash your motorcycle?

Gracious, what kind of moron opens their car door in traffic for any reason, even if they're not deliberately attempting to commit vehicular homicide? I was always taught that that's a really dangerous thing to do.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Cyclists get doored all the time in cities like DC, Boston, NYC, but it's a bit different. Usually the situation is a cyclist is passing a stopped car and the driver goes to exit the car without checking behind them. In this case, it is usually inattention, not malice, that causes the problem. I was doored in DC this way.

Is that what you are referring to?
Old 09-26-2004, 05:33 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperbackwriter
Cyclists get doored all the time in cities like DC, Boston, NYC, but it's a bit different. Usually the situation is a cyclist is passing a stopped car and the driver goes to exit the car without checking behind them. In this case, it is usually inattention, not malice, that causes the problem. I was doored in DC this way.

Evidentally not:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangeorge
Not the idiot at a curb who's not paying attention, that does happen, but an intentional attempt at murder.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperbackwriter

The OP is talking about motorcycles, not bicycles.

But I know exactly what you're talking about. When out riding in that type of situation, we usually yell out "DOOR PRIZE" if it looks like some idiot is about open his car door w/o looking.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:34 PM

Unless the driver gave you the finger before doing it, how would you know if it were malicious?
Old 09-26-2004, 07:10 PM

Motorcycles, on the hiway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Fikere Tomba
Unless the driver gave you the finger before doing it, how would you know if it were malicious?
What I've been told about allegdedly happens on the freeway, when traffic is stop and go. There are a lot of motorcyclists in CA, and most do split lanes, even bitching if cars don't "make room". I don't blame them, as long as they get away with it. Not that we owe it to them. Some drivers, already annoyed by the traffic, take umbrage at this practice. I've been in the car with drivers who get pretty pissed off when a motorctcle squeezes past.
The story goes that when riding, you gotta watch their mirrors to see if the motorists are looking at you. If they are, chamces are they're plotting to door you. On purpose.
I can't be the only one whose heard this complaint.
BTW; I would prefer that lane splitting be illegal because it is dangerous for both vehucles. It's distracting as hell when, at 30 or 40 mph a nearly silent MC goes whizzing by.
Did I say that they sometimes do it at freeway speeds? Stupid, IMO.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Easy bonus question;
If Harley riders see a guy riding a Harley wearing a conventional helmet instead of one of those little brain buckets, will they yank him off the bike and beat him up?
Peace,
mangeorge
I could not conceive of the kind of motorcycle rider who would do this, up to and including Outlaw Gang Members. From my experience, even those who steal bikes take them while unattended, and not for any helmet style reasons
Old 09-26-2004, 07:27 PM

Quote:
What I've been told about allegdedly happens on the freeway, when traffic is stop and go.
Ah, now I see.
Quote:
The story goes that when riding, you gotta watch their mirrors to see if the motorists are looking at you. If they are, chamces are they're plotting to door you. On purpose.
This sounds like a dangerous belief. In general, you would want the motorists to be looking at you, so you know they see you. And most drivers, if they know you're there, would be paying close attention to you, since you are a potential hazard. Waiting till they're not looking and then slipping by is asking for trouble, I'd say. (But then, I'd say the same thing about riding a motorcycle on the highway!)
Old 09-26-2004, 07:28 PM

Just to clarify: by "asking for trouble" I did not mean that any behavior justifies a malicious attack. I meant it in the sense of inviting an accident.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:40 PM

Quote:
What I've been told about allegdedly happens on the freeway, when traffic is stop and go. There are a lot of motorcyclists in CA, and most do split lanes, even bitching if cars don't "make room". I don't blame them, as long as they get away with it. Not that we owe it to them. Some drivers, already annoyed by the traffic, take umbrage at this practice. I've been in the car with drivers who get pretty pissed off when a motorctcle squeezes past.
This is a ludicrous idea. How would the driver possibly get away with it?

"Well, officer, I was sitting on the freeway, and I just - ya know - opened my door."

Obviously accidents happen when people park on the street, but there is no legitimate reason to open your door when you are stopped on the freeway, and there is also no way to claim you couldn't hear the Harley behind you. Even if you weren't prosecuted for a criminal offense you'd be 100% at fault from a civil standpoint (in California, where it is legal for the motorcycle rider to do this).
Old 09-26-2004, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've been in the car with drivers who get pretty pissed off when a motorctcle squeezes past.
No need for drivers to get pissed off. The motorcyle will be past them in under a second. Getting pissed off serves no purpose.
Quote:
BTW; I would prefer that lane splitting be illegal because it is dangerous for both vehucles.
In an issue of CA Biker I read in 1993 or 1994, an article stated that the CHP had conducted a study about the safety of lane-splitting and found that it was "not particularly dangerous". I have over 100,000 miles on motorcycles in L.A. traffic. Yes, I've been hit. (The pickup driver made a "two-lane dash" in heavy traffic.) Yes, I've had close calls. But in general there is plenty of room. More, most motorcyclists really do know what they're doing.

I would say that it's safer for motorcyclists to split lanes. People are often rear-ended in stop-and-go traffic. This is unpleasant in a car. On a motorcycle it can be life-threatening. By lane-splitting, the motorcyclist virtually guarantees that he will not be hit from behind. Even when traffic is moving, you still may be hit from behind. I know. Had I not made a quick evasive maneuver between lanes of traffic that was moving about 50 mph, I would have been hit once by an erratic driver.

Many motorcycles can suffer from overheating. I think there is one Honda in particular that was prone to overheating at low speeds. If a motorcycle overheats, then it creates a traffic obstruction or "gawker's block". And yes, there are still bikes out there that are air cooled. Better to keep it moving. Not only that, but heat is very fatiguing. Motorcycles don't have air conditioning. On a hot Southern California day the rider really needs the breeze. For the most part it's a comfort issue; but an uncomfortable or fatigued rider has the potential of making poor or overly-aggressive decisions (just like a cage driver). Even at freeway speeds, I can tell you that the seat on my R-1 can get a bit toasty.

So lane-splitting is safer for the motorcyclist, and can reduce the possibility of overheating that will cause a traffic jam.
Quote:
It's distracting as hell when, at 30 or 40 mph a nearly silent MC goes whizzing by...

According to the CHP FAQ page, speeds must be "reasonable and prudent". That means that scooting through stopped traffic at 40 mph is a citeable offence. It traffic is moving at freeway speeds, there is normally space for motorcyclists to change lanes to get around people. Of course, they might be pulled over for speeding.

To answer the OP, I think most motorcyclists and bikers have heard about "dooring". I've never heard of it actually being done, though. Then there's the myth that cage drivers will come up behind the motorcyclist and "rub" the rear wheel with a bumper (supposedly sending the rider over the handlebars). But a motorcyclist is extremely unlikely to let anyone get that close, and drivers (even evil ones) probably don't have the skill to pull it off. All they'd do is rear-end the bike.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Not being from California the idea of "lane sharing" seems completely ludicrous to me, especially when I see it being done here in a state where's it's illegal. It just looks dangerous as hell. On the other hand, you all kicked out Grey Davis, so you must surely know what you're doing.

So, tell me about this "lane sharing" in California. Is it legal in all circumstances? If we're moving along at 75mph, is it still legal to squeeze between two vehicles in adjacent lanes? Who has right of way? If I'm in "my" lane, I imagine that I have the rights to my entire lane. What happens when a motor cycle squeezes beside me? What happens if he stays there? Does lane sharing give the motor cyclist permission to use the shoulder full time?
Old 09-26-2004, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBill
I could not conceive of the kind of motorcycle rider who would do this, up to and including Outlaw Gang Members. From my experience, even those who steal bikes take them while unattended, and not for any helmet style reasons
Yeah. Should've put a winky there.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

I can't give much creedence to this being more than a legend for two reasons. One is the reason given by Cooper.

The other is that while the motorcyclist is going to come off worst, that doesn't mean the motorists car is going to be undamaged. It's going to get pretty badly smacked up. Who's going to do that to their own car?
Old 09-26-2004, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not being from California the idea of "lane sharing" seems completely ludicrous to me... It just looks dangerous as hell.
I assure you it's not as dangerous as it seems. Cage drivers don't realise how much room there actually is between them and the person next to them. Motorcyclists learn what to look for, and, as I said, we really do know what we're doing. And it's not ludicrous. When I was living in L.A. Ifound that it reduced my commuting time (down to Orange County) by a third. That's a lot of savings over the course of a year!
Quote:
So, tell me about this "lane sharing" in California. Is it legal in all circumstances?
According to the CHP"
Quote:
Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner.
So it's not legal if it's done unsafely or imprudently.
Quote:
If we're moving along at 75mph, is it still legal to squeeze between two vehicles in adjacent lanes?
75 mph is speeding. In any case, if traffic were moving at that speed there would be no need for a motorcyclist to split lanes because the traffic would be spread out enought for normal maneuvering.
Quote:
Who has right of way? If I'm in "my" lane, I imagine that I have the rights to my entire lane.
I don't know for a fact, but I believe the general rule is that a vehicle being overtaken has the right of way. Since the CHP says that lane-splitting is permitted, a motorcycle in this situation is entitled to use part of "your" lane.
Quote:
What happens when a motor cycle squeezes beside me?
They rarely "squeeze". There's usually lots of room. What happens is that the motorcycle just overtakes you and the car next to you. If you've moved over to give him more room (not that he needs it, else he shouldn't be trying to get by anyway), he's likely to give a "thank you" wave for being considerate.
Quote:
What happens if he stays there?
He shouldn't. The only way he'd stay there is if the traffic is stopped and there is not enough room for him to proceed (so he's stopped as well). He won't just ride there next to you. I mean, the whole point of lane-splitting (aside from the safety advantages I mentioned earlier) is to move faster than the cars.
Quote:
Does lane sharing give the motor cyclist permission to use the shoulder full time?
Riding on either shoulder is not permitted.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper
This is a ludicrous idea. How would the driver possibly get away with it?

"Well, officer, I was sitting on the freeway, and I just - ya know - opened my door."

Obviously accidents happen when people park on the street, but there is no legitimate reason to open your door when you are stopped on the freeway, and there is also no way to claim you couldn't hear the Harley behind you. Even if you weren't prosecuted for a criminal offense you'd be 100% at fault from a civil standpoint (in California, where it is legal for the motorcycle rider to do this).
Cool. You agree with me.
I'm saying it rarely, if ever, happens. I've had bikers of all stripes tell me that it does happen. Even those guys with the funny little helmets.
What's up with those things, anyway? They're almost exclusively used by Harley riders, it seems to me.
I googled. these are what I'm talking about.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What's up with those things, anyway? They're almost exclusively used by Harley riders, it seems to me.
Something I read in The Hook (publication of the Tailhook Association): "It's better to die than to look bad." Apparently Harley drivers live by that creed.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
. . .funny little helmets. What's up with those things, anyway? They're almost exclusively used by Harley riders, it seems to me.
You see those in states with helmet laws (the same guys take them off when crossing state lines into no-helmet states). The site you linked shows DOT helmets, which means they pass minimal requirements for helmet laws. Not loopholes, exactly, but really minimal. So they're kind of like the bikers thumbing their noses at the state.

Serious sport riders use Snell helmets.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

The current issue of Classic Motorsports (the issue with the Lotus 7 on the cover) has an article about the history of the Snell rating.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:52 AM

Quote:
That's got to be nonsense. Here in the UK, motorcyclists split lanes frequently (I'm not sure of the legality of it, but nobody seems to bat an eyelid) and if I'm in a queue of traffic and see a motorbike coming up along the outside you can bet I'll be watching him in the mirror. I always thought it would be a reassuring thing for a biker to get eye contact with a driver in the mirror so he could be sure he's been seen. Are they actually thinking, "Damn, this clown's about to open his door on me!"?
Old 09-27-2004, 09:38 AM
Ogministrator
Charter Member

Moved to IMHO.

-xash
General Questions Moderator
Old 09-27-2004, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

As a current L.A. car commuter, I can say I prefer that motorcycles pass me, even by slipping between lanes. What I dislike is a motorcyclist driving somewhere behind me. That situation requires extra attention from me, since I track all vehicles near me and the smaller vehicle is harder to see. Better the biker goes past me and I can see him easier.

BTW, when I lived in the Boston area and commuted there, cars would commonly split lanes. The rule of thumb was that if N cars could fit side-by-side, then N cars would do so. Lane markings be damned.

L.A. commuting is relaxing compared to driving in Boston.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:29 PM

My aunt is from Phoenix. She lived there for 20 years before moving back to here last year. She said she has witnessed this several times on the freeway down there, when traffic jams developed. She said lane splitting was legal, but car drivers would get agrivated, and some, enough to door a motoryclist. Here in Idaho, lane splitting is not legal for us bikers, so not even an option.

I don't think it is commonplace, but I think it does happen. Think long traffic jams in very hot weather, after people have just left for home from work. These high-stress environments are probably the catalyst for such rotten behaviour.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:58 PM

Quote:
This is my last sincere question today, I promise. It's a beautiful day, so I went for a drive. So did a buncha bikers.
I know this to be a fable near and dear to the hearts of many motorcyclists, but I suspect urban legend. I've been driving for many years and I've personally seen it happen. I don't know even one rider who's had it happen to them. Always it's a friend of a cousin, etc.
Has anyone ever had a driver in a car open their door in traffic is an attempt to crash your motorcycle? Has anyone ever personally witnessed such an act?
I don't think I've ever seen it done with intent to harm the motorcyclist, but I have seen it done any number of times to block motorcyclists from lane-splitting. Some people just can't stand the thought of others not sharing their misery, and get really upset when we (motorcyclists, that is) aren't steaming in the traffic jam just like they are. Jerks. And they don't realize that we'll just go around the other side, anyway.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:05 PM

How dumb would you have to be to do this though? Quite apart from the injury to the biker, getting your car door repaired/replaced ain't going to come cheap.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon
How dumb would you have to be to do this though? Quite apart from the injury to the biker, getting your car door repaired/replaced ain't going to come cheap.
I assume that by the time someone does this they're well beyond rational thought.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMM
I don't think I've ever seen it done with intent to harm the motorcyclist, but I have seen it done any number of times to block motorcyclists from lane-splitting. Some people just can't stand the thought of others not sharing their misery, and get really upset when we (motorcyclists, that is) aren't steaming in the traffic jam just like they are. Jerks. And they don't realize that we'll just go around the other side, anyway.
That's pretty much the story.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:51 PM

I used to lane-share all the time when I had my MC. I've never had anyone try to door me, but you definitely get people who swerve in order to block you or scare you. People swear at you. I've had people toss lit cigarettes at me. But they usually miss.

You see, we lane-sharing motorcyclists are watching you far more carefully than you are watching us. We're scanning for irate/inattentive looking drivers from several car lengths behind. When you glance into your side or rearview mirror and look pissed off, we notice. If your window is open and you're looking at us, then at something in your car, then back at us, and your arms are moving suspiciously, we notice. We already know you're a jerk, or might be a jerk, so if and when we pass you, it's probably going to be with a sudden burst of speed.

I think a lot of drivers just don't know what we're doing is legal and considered safe. They figure we're breaking the law, being unsafe, being jerks. "So what the heck, I'll be a jerk to them. That'll show 'em!"
Old 09-27-2004, 07:21 PM

As a former San Diego commuter, I think lane-splitting is a fine idea and think it is ludicrous that other states don't allow it.. It allows for vehicles which have the capacity to advance, thus freeing up a space for somebody else, to do so. Nothing wrong with that. I've never felt that I was being endangered by lane-splitting. Just gives somebody else a way to beat the traffic; good for them.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangeorge View Post
I can't be the only one whose heard this complaint.
BTW; I would prefer that lane splitting be illegal because it is dangerous for both vehucles. It's distracting as hell when, at 30 or 40 mph a nearly silent MC goes whizzing by.
These comments are based solely on the vehicle code in California. Some motorcycles are air cooled instead of water cooled and can overheat in stop and go traffic, so lane splitting allows them to keep the motorcycle moving and keep the engine cool. And regardless of the type of engine cooling used, the motorcyclist can also suffer heat exhaustion in stop and go traffic, especially with full gear on. It's not reasonable to train traffic officers to distinguish between air cooled and water cooled motorcycles, so all motorcycles get to lane split. Mathematical models predict that allowing motorcyclists to split lanes helps reduce traffic congestion, and NHTSA data confirms that effect.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:55 PM

Go to YouTube and search "driver opens door on motorcycle". There are scores of videos.

I couldn't find my favorite one though. A driver opened his door on a LEO lane splitting and promptly got lit up. I'm sure he got written up for everything the officer could think of to cite him with.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltbuckle View Post
My aunt is from Phoenix. She lived there for 20 years before moving back to here last year. She said she has witnessed this several times on the freeway down there, when traffic jams developed. She said lane splitting was legal, but car drivers would get agrivated, and some, enough to door a motoryclist. Here in Idaho, lane splitting is not legal for us bikers, so not even an option.

I don't think it is commonplace, but I think it does happen. Think long traffic jams in very hot weather, after people have just left for home from work. These high-stress environments are probably the catalyst for such rotten behaviour.
Not legal yet anyway, starting to see happening a little more often in the Boise/Meridian/Nampa corridor on 84. Not all the time, but, still more.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltbuckle View Post

Not legal yet anyway, starting to see happening a little more often in the Boise/Meridian/Nampa corridor on 84. Not all the time, but, still more.

If I still had my scoot, I damn sure wouldn't be doing that around here. Driving has gotten stupid scary over the last few years in Ada and Canyon Counties as drivers (just enough of then anyway) have gotten progressively more scary stupid(I swear the driving IQ around here drops a few points every damn year)
Old 10-08-2019, 07:02 AM

Does anyone know if mangeorge is still, like, alive?
Old 10-08-2019, 08:58 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Easy bonus question;
My husband rides a Harley and is a member of a local HOG chapter. Most everyone I've seen riding in that group wears real helmets. They're not stupid, or violent, or MC gang members - they're a bunch of guys (and a few women) who like to ride and are very safety conscious. And I don't think they're atypical.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:12 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Does anyone know if mangeorge is still, like, alive?
The only thing I can tell you is that mangeorge has not logged in here since 2014.

Quote:
I ride a Harley and I wear a full-face helmet (I really don't like taking a large bug directly to the face at 70 mph). The usual response I get from other Harley riders is just the "Harley wave". No one ever gives me grief about my helmet type.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:28 AM

(zombie thread noted)

yep, I have a real lid when I ride (Street Glide) and literally nobody has given me as much as a comment about it.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Had a motorcyclist take off my passenger side mirror in San Francisco back in 2001. Traffic was stopped when I heard a wump sound then looked over to see the guy hit my mirror with his shoulder. He went down in front of the car next to me. The first sound I heard was him hitting the car next to me. We all made it to the shoulder and waited for the Highway Patrol. The guy on the bike was not going to cooperate with anyone so the officer cuffed him and threatened to impound the bike. He had no insurance either. He ended up giving me $120 for my trouble because I was from out of state. I have no idea what happened with the other motorist. Cost me $89 for a replacement mirror at a Toyota dealer and $12 for a cheap socket set to replace the mirror in a parking lot.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Not going back to see if I already posted this, but I was riding on the 10 one day when a guy in an old beater full-size American car kept crowding over to stop me from getting through. There was eventually an opening, so I gunned it a little. He tried to flip me off and got hit with my right-side mirror. If he broke his hand, he deserved it.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:56 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:

Easy bonus question;
Peace,
mangeorge
First; back in the 70s I was riding to my boss's house (owner of the Harley shop I worked at) when a guy coming out of a Vet's Club floored it as I got close and I had to lay it down into him. He admitted to the cops when they found him (the hole my highway peg put in his door was a dead give-away) and he admitted to trying to kill me. His words basically were "My daughter eloped yesterday with someone on a motorcycle, I had too much to drink, I saw a bike ------ and I wanted him dead". He got 200 hours of community service and some sort of basic ticket -- not even a misdemeanor conviction as far as I know. And yes --- I am still mad about that. My bike got messed up fairly well and I escaped with some minor breaks and he should have at least gotten some sort of assault. But it was different then.

I know someone who claims to have done the door thing to a scooter busting lanes; he himself is a biker. I have not had any contact with him since then; and he added the little "kill sign" to the door of his truck.

As for the bonus ----- even though helmets are optional in my state I am usually in a full-face or at the least a 3/4. And between my Harleys (how they look/are set up) and my natural looks no one has had the gonads to say anything to me face yet.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
I ride a Harley and I wear a full-face helmet (I really don't like taking a large bug directly to the face at 70 mph). The usual response I get from other Harley riders is just the "Harley wave". No one ever gives me grief about my helmet type.
A bug at 70 is a mere tickle, compared to the acorn I caught square in the forehead years ago, while speeding under an oak... That left a mark. I began wearing my helmet more regularly as I got older, smarter and had kids.

I was on a ride with a half dozen friends one sweltering day a few summers ago. I think it was all Harleys, mine included. I was the only one in the group wearing any sort of helmet, and it was my usual full-faced Shoei. Incidentally, I was also wearing a high visibilty, armored, textile riding jacket and gloves, while everyone else was wearing t-shirts. Apart from one "Just how fast are we going to be riding today, anyway?" when I was putting in my earplugs before donning the helmet, I didn't catch any flak from the others. If it matters, I was easily ten years older than the next youngest rider, and by far the most experienced. They all knew the Harley I brought was one of my slower motorcycles, and even that one I've raised the suspension for better ground clearance while cornering. (Also the only one in the group with a stock, quiet, factory equipped exhaust system, but that could probably be a whole other thread)

We took a rural route, and at one point passed through a 100+ year old dairy farm that was on both sides of the road, and they had recently spread the manure over their fields. This resulted in a half mile stretch of road with dried manure on it, being kicked up into a thick dust cloud by a dump truck our group was stuck behind. When we got to out destination, one of the guys told me, "When we were going through that giant shit-cloud, I was really wishing I had your helmet....."

I have never lane split on a motorcycle. I know I'd be a nervous wreck getting that close to other cars, seeing how little attention most drivers pay to the goings-on around them. I do most of my riding on secondary and rural roads, I don't like divided highways. I've had several close calls while on a bicycle/inattentive person getting out of a car, but always managed to avoid a collision, and I attributed it to a little carelessness on all parties involved.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
... a guy coming out of a Vet's Club floored it as I got close and I had to lay it down into him.
Would you mind explaining that a little more?
Old 10-08-2019, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Has anyone ever deliberately opened their door with the intention of wrecking a biker? I wouldn't want to say it's never happened somewhere (it's a big world out there), but I'm sure it's very, very rare at worst.

Has anyone ever opened their door for innocent reasons like getting out of the car, without noticing a biker, and accidentally caused a wreck? It's almost happened to me enough times that I'm sure there are plenty of times it's not just "almost".
Old 10-08-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Has anyone ever deliberately opened their door with the intention of wrecking a biker? I wouldn't want to say it's never happened somewhere (it's a big world out there), but I'm sure it's very, very rare at worst.

Has anyone ever opened their door for innocent reasons like getting out of the car, without noticing a biker, and accidentally caused a wreck? It's almost happened to me enough times that I'm sure there are plenty of times it's not just "almost".
This is a world where someone would do this. Or this. Or this. Or this.

there are a great many assholes in cars out there who think this is all a race, and if someone on a bike passes them, then they "lose" or something. More than once I've been riding and had someone pull out of a driveway or parking lot in front of me making me brake hard, and when I hit the horn they honked back and flipped me the bird like it was my fault.

we need to make it a lot easier to strip people of their driving privileges in this country. Driving is not a "right" and we should not treat it as such. Oh, sorry, can't get to work if we take your license away? Oh, that's too bad. Fuck off.

Last edited by jz78817; 10-08-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:39 PM

Obligatory Weird Al reference from the song "Traffic Jam":

There's a yuppie on a cellular phone, I'm gonna puke if I hear any more
There's a motorcycle zooming by me, watch what happens when I open my door
Old 10-09-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
This is a world where someone would do this. Or this. Or this. Or this.
The only one of those involving a car door appears to have been an accident. I think the point is that trying to hit a moving bike with your car door sounds like a great way to jack up your car door (besides the obvious other reasons not to do it). Versus people trying to just swerve at bikes or get up right on their rear wheel or other rage-driving behavior.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Outlaw biker gangs (as defined by the US DoJ) are a minority, and they prefer to stay out of jail. Their criminal activities generally involve the drug trade, money laundering, or violent encounters with rival outlaw motorcycle gangs. They may get medieval on your ass if you deliberately provoke them, but wearing a full-face helmet is not the sort of provocation for which they're willing to risk jail time.

The vast majority of people you see riding Harleys are not members of such gangs.

Quote:
There are a lot of motorcyclists in CA, and most do split lanes, even bitching if cars don't "make room". I don't blame them, as long as they get away with it. Not that we owe it to them. Some drivers, already annoyed by the traffic, take umbrage at this practice.
A friend was once splitting lanes in stop-and-go traffic in LA, when one driver squeezed over in an attempt to cut off my friend. The driver, red-faced with impotent and reasonless rage, then threw an unopened can of soda at my friend and it somehow landed in my friend's lap. So he opened it and threw it back in the guy's car before squeezing past and motoring down the road.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
The only one of those involving a car door appears to have been an accident. I think the point is that trying to hit a moving bike with your car door sounds like a great way to jack up your car door (besides the obvious other reasons not to do it). Versus people trying to just swerve at bikes or get up right on their rear wheel or other rage-driving behavior.
hitting a moving bike with your car is going to jack up your car. The point is that road ragers (whether they use their door or not) aren't thinking about their car when they pull this crap, and most certainly aren't giving a rip about the person on the bike.