Old 10-09-2019, 02:44 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_lobo View Post
Would you mind explaining that a little more?
Reading before I post this --- I'll do a little better than a little.

Think rural two-lane blacktop; right turn off the bridge and 100 yards down the road is a Veterans Club/VFW on the left. Usual gravel parking lot. As I made the right I gunned it a little and started up the gears when I saw him get to the edge of the lot. He didn't pull out and it being the year it was I figured he was getting out a smoke or something. We had eye contact so I wasn't really worried but I covered the brakes anyway. When I was about 20 yards away he floored his car and put it across both lanes and with a ditch on my right I didn't have an escape.

That bike was a 1970 with drum brakes and all so my two choices were to center-punch him and fly or lock the rear brake while turning the bars and drop it in a slide and push off. Think coming hard into third base. I considered going into the parking lot and crashing but I figured with my parka I wore in the winters back then pavement would hurt less than gravel. I rolled to the right slightly, the bike on its side contacted his car; my rear tire contacted his passenger front tire and the force/speed of the bike made it basically stand up again but sideways. I had an additional set of footpegs for long highways (and to look really cool) that stuck out more than a tiny bit and one of those penetrated his door before the bike fell back to the ground.

Among the things he readily admitted to when the cops caught him later was that his plan was to run over/T-bone me; he was so drunk he hit the peddle a little early.

I hit so hard that my helmet strap (Bell Star 120) broke and my helmet came off. And I sort of watched it all in slo-mo. After the bike fell back he got half out of his car and then back in and drove off. And at that moment I became very frightened ------- because nothing hurt. I figured my back was broken or something. So it gets better --- this little old lady comes along a couple minutes later in her car, stops, walks over, picked up my helmet and cleans off the visor, walks to me and asks if I'm hurt. I had her unlace a boot and remove it and look to see if my toes moved. They did. I broke a few fingers and cracked my wrist but that parka (USAF high-altitude flight jacket) really was freaking GREAT! Got another 10 years use out of it. Damn great padding.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon View Post
How dumb would you have to be to do this though? Quite apart from the injury to the biker, getting your car door repaired/replaced ain't going to come cheap.
800 lb bike traveling 50 mph hitting a 150 lb door will tear the door off. It might even anger the rider.

Last edited by Magiver; 10-09-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:11 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
800 lb bike traveling 50 mph hitting a 150 lb door will tear the door off. It might even anger the rider.
More than that almost beyond any doubt. Motorcycle crashes are one of those things ------ you never know. I've been really charmed but I've attended a funeral for friend who lost to a groundhog at lower speed let alone doors. Like we always said at the safety classes ------- if you ever have a fender-bender buy a lottery ticket before you get home because Sonny -- it's your day!
Old 10-09-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
More than that almost beyond any doubt. Motorcycle crashes are one of those things ------ you never know. I've been really charmed but I've attended a funeral for friend who lost to a groundhog at lower speed let alone doors. Like we always said at the safety classes ------- if you ever have a fender-bender buy a lottery ticket before you get home because Sonny -- it's your day!
wow, I'm surprised. I ran over a skunk with my smaller bike and basically cut it in half.

Sorry for your loss. That sucks.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:28 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
wow, I'm surprised. I ran over a skunk with my smaller bike and basically cut it in half.

Sorry for your loss. That sucks.
s'OK ------- you ride motorcycles as long as I have and some funerals come with the territory.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
Among the things he readily admitted to when the cops caught him later was that his plan was to run over/T-bone me; he was so drunk he hit the peddle a little early.
Holy shit! Glad he was too drunk to actually do it.