Old 08-20-2019, 07:42 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Now I understand how the Dark Ages happened. Willful ignorance promoted by authority.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
59% of Republicans say colleges and universities have a negative effect on the US.

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/essa...her-education/

Holy Cow! These people are so fuckin' pathetic.....
Old 08-20-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Now I understand how the Dark Ages happened. Willful ignorance promoted by authority.
The author Robert Heinlein (as his character Lazarus Long) said something along these lines:
Quote:
Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of
man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded--here
and there, now and then-- are the work of an extremely small
minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost
always opposed by all right thinking people. Whenever this
tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens)
is driven out of a society, the people then slip back
into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck."
He also called this time "The Crazy Years" in his future history--which ends up with a Fundamentalist ruler of America...

Maybe Ol'Robert knew something...
Old 08-20-2019, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Heinlein was the Dollar Store of science fiction. If he so much as touched Ursula le Guinn's typewriter, she'd burn it.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:17 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Heinlein was the Dollar Store of science fiction. If he so much as touched Ursula le Guinn's typewriter, she'd burn it.
What if he touched Ursula K. Le Guin's typewriter?

Last edited by running coach; 08-20-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
59% of Republicans say colleges and universities have a negative effect on the US.

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/essa...her-education/
I wonder if that is reflective of a CHANGE in Republican attitudes towards higher education from 2012 to present, or if it is actually more indicative that the more intelligent Republicans who value higher education have simply left the party in the last 7 years.

In other words, the defection of intelligent Republicans has just made the party tilt more towards the idiotic.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
I wonder if that is reflective of a CHANGE in Republican attitudes towards higher education from 2012 to present, or if it is actually more indicative that the more intelligent Republicans who value higher education have simply left the party in the last 7 years.

In other words, the defection of intelligent Republicans has just made the party tilt more towards the idiotic.
Isn't college the place Trump learned all the best words?
Old 08-20-2019, 11:52 AM

That poll result came up in another thread and the defense for it was along the lines that they didn't ask for why you thought higher education was negative, and that it could be due to student loan debt or the whole free speech thing and not that the think people being educated is bad for America. Not that I bought that defense. But get ready to hear it again.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:

Given that there is a sharp dip in the approval of education over the entire population, it would seem to be a shift in attitudes rather than a shift in party identification.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Given that there is a sharp dip in the approval of education over the entire population, it would seem to be a shift in attitudes rather than a shift in party identification.
Yes, but if you look at the numbers, the dip in the entire population is entirely due to the drop in the Republican numbers. The approval numbers for Democrats have remained steady.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:59 PM

The new Repub talking point: "Antifa stands for 'Anti First Amendment'"
https://www.thedailybeast.com/kellya...irst-amendment
Old 08-20-2019, 03:12 PM

Right wing "prophet" Mark Taylor:
"if President Trump doesn’t carry out mass arrests of high-level Democratic politicians by this January, there will be blood in the streets.

“What the Lord has shown me is that if they wait too long, it could be another Mogadishu or another Benghazi where the patriots will rise up and say, ‘Enough is enough,’ and they will take matters into their own hands and they will drag their dead bodies through the streets,” Taylor said, adding that these patriots (presumably Trump supporters) will literally hunt down Democrats and drag them out of their “houses or offices.”"
https://deadstate.org/christian-prop...sts-by-january
Old 08-20-2019, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

nm

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 08-20-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
"if President Trump doesn’t carry out mass arrests of high-level Democratic politicians by this January, there will be blood in the streets.

“What the Lord has shown me is that if they wait too long, it could be another Mogadishu or another Benghazi where the patriots will rise up and say, ‘Enough is enough,’ and they will take matters into their own hands and they will drag their dead bodies through the streets,” Taylor said, adding that these patriots (presumably Trump supporters) will literally hunt down Democrats and drag them out of their “houses or offices.”"
They really, really, really don't like democracy, do they?
Old 08-20-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:

So, to be clear, Mogadishu and Benghazi are places where patriots rose up and said, "Enough is enough"?
Old 08-20-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74westy View Post
So, to be clear, Mogadishu and Benghazi are places where patriots rose up and said, "Enough is enough"?
"Enough is enough"? I thought these morons where enjoying a new "Great America". They need to make up their fucking minds.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
"Enough is enough"? I thought these morons where enjoying a new "Great America". They need to make up their fucking minds.
Yeah, not gonna happen. These are the people who have their minds made up for them.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:

Guy sounds like a terrorist to me.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Another quote from your cite:

Quote:
During an appearance on Sheila Zilinsky’s podcast this Tuesday, Taylor recounted a conversation he had with God last year, where he was told that if President Trump doesn’t carry out mass arrests of high-level Democratic politicians by this January, there will be blood in the streets.

"So God and me were sittin' around, over a coupla Coors, just shootin' the shit, y'know, and He said he was just gettin' disgusted with these darned Democrats. He kept sayin' they needed to be taken care of, but it's like Trump never even listened to Him."
Old 08-20-2019, 05:56 PM

People who worship a God that loves murder, blood and dragging dead bodies through the streets are a little bit of a worry.

Strike that.

They are mentally ill sociopaths, who are hearing voices in their heads. This is not religion... It is mental illness. Full stop.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Devin Nunes is a farmer, or maybe he is not, but he claims to own a farm, which seems to be the size of a postcard and makes no money.
Oh, yeah, Devin? Well, I've got a back yard with a few small watermelons, tomatoes, and a fig tree, and I make no money but it puts your postcard acreage to shame. So there.

Mine's bigger.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
People who worship a God that loves murder, blood and dragging dead bodies through the streets are a little bit of a worry.
Yes, but on the other hand BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD ! SKULLS FOR THE SKULLS THRONE. So you see, your religious bigotry [...]
Old 08-20-2019, 06:38 PM

Akin to asking that if Aliens traveled light years with such superior technology to come to Earth to study humanity, why would they be searching swamps in Mississippi?

If God exists, and I believe he does, why would he have a sit down with this blithering idiot?

-God
Old 08-22-2019, 01:03 PM

The GOP is running ads showing Greenland as part of the United States, with the slogan, 'Support President Trump and his efforts to help America grow!'
https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2...-shirt-1471960
Old 08-22-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
The GOP is running ads showing Greenland as part of the United States, with the slogan, 'Support President Trump and his efforts to help America grow!'
Distraction
Misdirection
Mass detention
Confusi-ion

Prezzah ! Why do these words sound so nasty ?
Grifts and cons
Can be fun
Join the corrupt bankrupt greed-for-all
Everyone !
Old 08-22-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
For the umpteenth time since this shitshow began, words fail me.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Tom Cotton says buying Greenland is too a good idea and anyone who doesn't see that is a big meanie doodoo head blinded by Trump derangement.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I know conservatives aren't known for having a sense of humor, but this is a decent joke. Help America grow. I give them a solid B for that joke. It must be a joke, right? Right? It *has* to be a joke. Oh god, please make it be a joke.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Tom Cotton says buying Greenland is too a good idea and anyone who doesn't see that is a big meanie doodoo head blinded by Trump derangement.
He also says that it was his idea.

Yup.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Lebensraum!
Old 08-22-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQwark View Post
I know conservatives aren't known for having a sense of humor, but this is a decent joke. Help America grow. I give them a solid B for that joke. It must be a joke, right? Right? It *has* to be a joke. Oh god, please make it be a joke.
We'll see when they start yammering about a war with Denmark to take what is rightfully Trump's.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Distraction
Misdirection
Mass detention
Confusi-ion

Prezzah ! Why do these words sound so nasty ?
Grifts and cons
Can be fun
Join the corrupt bankrupt greed-for-all
Everyone !
I was not expecting a salute to The Fuggs when I came to the Dope today. Well done.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The GOP is offering special commemorative t-shirts. No word on whether presidential knee pads are also offered.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:58 PM

"Who dealt this mess, anyway?"
Yeah, that's an old card player's term,
but sometimes, you can use the old switcheroo and it can be applied to ...
Frontal politics.

What I mean is ...
Who was it that set up a system
A supposedly democratic system
Where you end up always voting for the lesser of two evils?
I mean, was George Washington the lesser of two evils?
Sometimes I wonder ...

(spoken section over gospel piano)

"Wide, Wiiiide River" -- The Fugs
Old 08-22-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
I was not expecting a salute to The Fuggs when I came to the Dope today. Well done.
Not sure The Fugs would've stooped to performing anything from Hair, but I stand ready to be corrected. (Pretty sure the song Kobal2 is pastiching is "Sodomy" from that musical.)
Old 08-22-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophon41 View Post
Not sure The Fugs would've stooped to performing anything from Hair, but I stand ready to be corrected. (Pretty sure the song Kobal2 is pastiching is "Sodomy" from that musical.)
That I was. I don't know what a Fugs eats when it's at home, I'm afraid
Old 08-22-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
I don't know what a Fugs eats when it's at home, I'm afraid
Probably nothing.

(Seriously, search out this group. They were significant.)

Last edited by xenophon41; 08-22-2019 at 06:16 PM. Reason: pitch for historical appreciation
Old 08-23-2019, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

If only this were still shocking:
Quote:
MARYSVILLE, Mich. – A city council candidate in Marysville stunned an election forum Thursday night with racist comments that she later doubled down on when answering a question about diversity.

Much of the night focused on city development and park improvements, but that thread was momentarily marred with shock following a racist statement from political newcomer Jean Cramer.

“Keep Marysville a white community as much as possible,” said Cramer, one of five candidates vying for three open council seats in November.

“(A) husband and wife need to be the same race. Same thing with kids. That’s how it’s been from the beginning of, how can I say, when God created the heaven and the earth. He created Adam and Eve at the same time. But as far as me being against blacks, no I’m not.”
Every other candidate and all the other town officials stood up for basic human decency, fortunately.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:26 PM

Mexican citizen who used a false identity has been convicted of voting for Individual 1 and voting illegally for the past 20 years.
https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cr...34263332.html?
Old 08-24-2019, 04:44 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
If only this were still shocking:Every other candidate and all the other town officials stood up for basic human decency, fortunately.

Too bad that loon's name isn't Ruth.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:01 PM

So are Republicans full-on Socialists now?

Trump wants the government to take full control over private corporations, and tell them where they can conduct business, and who they can buy from.

It looks very much like Trump believes that all legal production and distribution decisions should be made by the government. So can I assume that the Republican platform going forward will be that the government will determine the output and pricing levels of all produced goods and services, and the government will decide what countries corporations may trade with?
Old 08-24-2019, 10:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Come now. The corporations will take him in hand, whisper in his ear, and have things back to capitalism normal in no time. The “I hereby command you” thing will soon be forgotten as an absurd anomaly.

If a wanker like Wayne LePierre can manipulate him, the Powers That Be will have no trouble.

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 08-24-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:

Trump wants the government to take full control over private corporations, and tell them where they can conduct business, and who they can buy from.

It looks very much like Trump believes that all legal production and distribution decisions should be made by the government. So can I assume that the Republican platform going forward will be that the government will determine the output and pricing levels of all produced goods and services, and the government will decide what countries corporations may trade with?
My emphasis.

No, no. "Trump believes that all legal production and distribution decisions should be made by HIM." See the difference?

"L'état, c'est moi!"
Old 08-25-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:

Oh boy. Get set for massive overproduction of golf clubs, hair spray and Big Macs.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
Oh boy. Get set for massive overproduction of golf clubs, hair spray and Big Macs.
"Five Year Plan for glorious production of golf clubs! Everybody is hereby commanded to play golf everyday."
Old 08-25-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
No pickles, extra ketchup.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:34 PM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:
"Five Year Plan for glorious production of golf clubs! Everybody is hereby commanded to play golf everyday."
As frequently happens, Mr Eric Blair has anticipated events.
Quote:
‘Comrades!’ cried an eager youthful voice. ‘Attention, comrades! We have glorious news for you. We have won the battle for production! Returns now completed of the output of all classes of consumption goods golf clubs, hair spray and Big Macs show that the standard of living has risen by no less than 20 per cent over the past year. All over Oceania the United States this morning there were irrepressible spontaneous demonstrations when workers marched out of factories and offices and paraded through the streets with banners voicing their gratitude to Big Brother The Chosen One for the new, happy life which his wise leadership has bestowed upon us.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Sounds more like absolute monarchy to me. Or, possibly, a Shogunate - I mean, they're already denying anyone the right to come in, denying everyone the right to go out seems like the obvious next step. Make America Sakoku Again !
Old 08-25-2019, 10:41 PM

Arpaio wants to be sheriff again
Old 08-26-2019, 02:54 PM

Rudy Giuliani jumps head first into the Seth Rich conspiracy. When Daily Beast questioned him about it, he replied, “Either you haven’t been trained in proper seductive [sic] reasoning or the most truthful explanation is irrelevant."
https://www.thedailybeast.com/rudy-g...racy-bandwagon