Old 09-21-2013, 05:38 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Thoughts View Post
Damn, that sucks. :/ What browser are you using? I've heard some people lose their saves in Firefox, but IE, Opera, and Chrome seem to be fine.
Chrome.

Do you have to export the save and keep that stupid jumble of letters everytime you close the browser?
Old 09-21-2013, 05:41 PM

As far as I know, no..it should just start back up again where you left off when you go back to the game page.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon View Post
I seriously have no idea how you guys mix/max this game. My OCD won't allow me to do anything but buy the currently cheapest item. I know it's wrong, but it's all I can do.
That's going to result in you wasting huge boatloads of money, especially in regards to Farms, Factories, Mines and even Shipments.

My advice? Pretend those 4 don't even exist (except for purposes of getting 100 of each for the achievement). Don't waste your money on getting any of those past 100!!!

I mean, theoretically there will be a point where the best investment would be to buy another Farm for me... but that's so ridiculously far away I think I'd have to own 100,000 of everything else before that point.

Last edited by drewtwo99; 09-21-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:56 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

IE seems to be working a lot better for some reason.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:36 PM

Oh, thank you for this. I was getting bored with Fishdom, it was getting tedious earning fish and ornaments for the aquariums I created.

Last edited by applebetty; 09-21-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:41 PM

Damn game has been running for 7 hours on my browser. Thank you very much Idle Thoughts...
Old 09-21-2013, 06:43 PM

Faster. Must go faster! More, more, more!

You with your spreadsheets... game goes too fast. I just *feel* what's right to buy next...

Click those golden cookies - click!
Old 09-21-2013, 06:49 PM

There's a few things to buy that I realize are stupid because they won't pay back for a long time (if ever) but fuck it, I need those achievements.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:10 PM

It's fine to buy for achievements-- achievements give you milk, which is a multiplier. But right now, I've got 100 grandmas, who produce 327k Cps, while my 100 farms give 2k Cps. Just pay attention to your return on investment.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleciders View Post
It's fine to buy for achievements-- achievements give you milk, which is a multiplier. But right now, I've got 100 grandmas, who produce 327k Cps, while my 100 farms give 2k Cps. Just pay attention to your return on investment.
Yeah, grandmas are good.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:26 PM

Heh, heh, heh.

Yeah, grandmas are good.

You'll learn, people, you'll learn.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtwo99 View Post
I created a spreadsheet that calculates the "Dollars/CPS" cost for each new instance I buy of a particular producer. Right now, in order of best investment to worst investment, my list looks like this:

Antimatter Condenser
Cursor
Portal
Time Machine
Alchemy Lab
Shipment
Grandma
Mine
Factory
Farm

The last 3 (mine, factory, farm) are essentially worthless and I will never buy another one. I bought up to 100 to get the achievements for them, and then never again.

More than meets the eye huh? Hmm ok. I'll keep going.
There's a JavaScript that you can find to do the calculations for you, taking into account your various bonuses. Check the game forums. This will be a lot better than a spreadsheet in the long run.

Mines, factories and farms are pretty worthless, so you're not missing much.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracoi View Post
There's a JavaScript that you can find to do the calculations for you, taking into account your various bonuses. Check the game forums. This will be a lot better than a spreadsheet in the long run.

Mines, factories and farms are pretty worthless, so you're not missing much.
I'm at the point now where my buildings really don't matter so much anymore. It's all about the golden cookies. But if (really when I suppose) I click that reset button and start over again, I'll look around for that script. Not sure what you mean by check the game forums though. Got a direct link?
Old 09-21-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtwo99 View Post
I'm at the point now where my buildings really don't matter so much anymore. It's all about the golden cookies. But if (really when I suppose) I click that reset button and start over again, I'll look around for that script. Not sure what you mean by check the game forums though. Got a direct link?
The script is called Cookie Monster. It also has a timer until the next Golden Cookie appears.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The script is called Cookie Monster. It also has a timer until the next Golden Cookie appears.
Woohoo! Makes grabbing the golden cookies trivial.

I'm already cheating by using an autoclicker anyway.

Hey! Don't judge! I've got other games to play... but can't stop playing this until... I get... umm. a quintillion cookies?
Old 09-21-2013, 09:25 PM

Funny how you get an achievement for
SPOILER:
cheating, eh? Like he expected people would do it.

I haven't gotten it yet, I want to try to see how many "real" cookies I can get.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:38 PM

I'm not that opposed to cheating, but I want to see what I can get on my own. Leaving the game running in a separate tab is cheatey enough for me right now.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Funny how you get an achievement for
SPOILER:
cheating, eh? Like he expected people would do it.

I haven't gotten it yet, I want to try to see how many "real" cookies I can get.
SPOILER:

Yeah I haven't gotten that achievement yet either because by "cheating" he means using the built-in cheating functions, I think. Auto-clickers and the Cookie Monster script don't get caught as cheating... even though they really are
Old 09-21-2013, 09:52 PM
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleizDu View Post
Amazing, I've spent the first few minutes going "man, how boring is that, why do people think it's addictive?
And now six hours later, I'm buying my 8th antimatter condenser.
I swear to god, you people are just making shit up now to get me to click on the link.

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 09-21-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:04 PM

This game really is just a slightly more interactive version of Progress Quest. There's not much "game" there, it's just watching numbers go up and clicking every once in a while. It's not even hard, you can't really lose. It's just a function of how long it takes to reach your arbitrary goal.

Which isn't to say I don't like it, but it ultimately is just a silly time waster where the point is to unlock all the funny news comments and convince yourself that you really need that anti-matter condenser.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:01 PM

It's like a bad relationship. After a while, you just stick around to see what happens next. You may not love the person anymore, you may want to go see other people, but you've stuck around for so long and have so much invested, it's too hard to just walk away.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
This game really is just a slightly more interactive version of Progress Quest. There's not much "game" there, it's just watching numbers go up and clicking every once in a while. It's not even hard, you can't really lose. It's just a function of how long it takes to reach your arbitrary goal.
Someone posted a link to Progress Quest in a discussion about an iPad game I liked, arguing that there was no real "game" to be played. It was really just a grindy time waster in which you clicked/tapped buttons to make numbers go up. Not to say that you are saying this, but he made the comment to say that this game was worthless. His comment bugged me and I thought about it for a few days. I decided that I LIKE games where the point is progression, assuming that the process is at least entertaining, and there is something worth progressing for. The end of the game is not the entertainment, the game itself is.

The iPad game (Mini Warriors, if you care) became tedious and my progress slowed to a halt, so I gave up. That game was no longer fun, but it wasn't for the complaints comparing it to "Progress Quest." The game's makers missed an opportunity to make it really fun, but progress slowed exponentially. If the game is about grinding and progressing, it won't be fun if you take away that progress and only leave the grind.

Another "grindy" game I like is Minecraft. I like starting a new world and setting up farms, brewing stations, animal pens, storage rooms, etc. I get bored with it once I get to the point where I could do anything I wanted. Once that full-sandbox-mode is available, I lose interest. Most people seem to play just to get to that sandbox, where the real fun begins for them. At that point, I don't feel there is any fun left.

So, all this is to say, that I like Cookie Clicker. I want to unlock all the things, and I want to do it as efficiently as possible. I like comparing my click rate to my overall cps. I like comparing costs and CPS rates to determine the ideal build order. I like comparing the effectiveness of each upgrade to everything else. And its all because I want to see my cookies pile up to unimaginably high numbers. Do you remember Jack Sparrow's last line in Pirates of the Caribbean, as he sailed off with the freedom of the Black Pearl and the entire ocean as his playground? "Bring me that Horizon." That's how I feel about video games. Bring me that Heavenly Cookie.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:44 PM

Like I said, I like the game. It's just not very deep, and is ultimately a grindy timewaster with no real failure condition, no real setback condition, and no real goal. Reaching your goal is more or less inevitable if it's within the confines of the game.

This isn't a bad thing. I've been playing the damn thing for 7 hours! I like it, I'm just saying that it's more like a guided tour of funny upgrade and achievement names than it really is a "game". And that's cool. It's still fun.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:58 PM

Also, I crashed the part of OSX that controls clicking. Everything else worked just fine, but I couldn't click.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:12 AM

My wife switched off the laptop last night and lost about two hours' worth of progress after I bought two antimatter condensers

Luckily I had exported a game save so only lost those two hours.

Now I find that it works in Safari on my phone. Possibly the best way to deplete your battery ever
Old 09-22-2013, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

What I find amusing is that at around the million CPS mark, after your cookies have attained sentience and are starting to re-write the laws of physics, the most frequent update is "The local news does a ten-minute segment on your cookies. Win!".
Old 09-22-2013, 07:36 AM

It's quite nice that you can export saves just using a text string. I guess you could just grab someone's save and start at a high level.

I wonder what's the max number of cookies? In computers, every number is stored with a finite precision.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

I'm not really sure what to do once buying the antimatter condenser becomes frequent. I have 6 right now, mostly due to buying upgrades instead of more of them.

I'm making (only) 12 million cookies per second, but it seems like a long haul to get it up in the billions per second at this point.

Any suggestions? I can buy most of the tools instantly, with only a few minutes wait for condensers.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:04 AM

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I'm not really sure what to do once buying the antimatter condenser becomes frequent. I have 6 right now, mostly due to buying upgrades instead of more of them.

I'm making (only) 12 million cookies per second, but it seems like a long haul to get it up in the billions per second at this point.

Any suggestions? I can buy most of the tools instantly, with only a few minutes wait for condensers.
I'm currently at 261 million cps, and the top three buildings as well as cursors are expensive enough now it's takes awhile to buy even one. The upgrades cost me a trillion per now. Don't worry, you can spend your cookies.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:25 AM
BANNED

Avoid this lame exercise in banality and tedium and extend the life of your mouse by several orders of magnitude. Sorry OP, this is no mark against you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible
A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.
Greetings Professor Irruncible.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:30 AM

So I bought that upgrade that make grandmas upset and now I have a Grandmatriarchs status... do I need to worry about it? How do I keep my grandmas happy?
Old 09-22-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacifistPorcupine View Post
So I bought that upgrade that make grandmas upset and now I have a Grandmatriarchs status... do I need to worry about it? How do I keep my grandmas happy?
I just now saw the latest research upgrade that warned me it might have unpleasant results on my grandmas. If I don't buy it, I'm not sure I'll get anymore research upgrades until I do. Anyone know what happens?
Old 09-22-2013, 10:30 AM

Well so far no ill effects from it, and now I have another research with the same warning. But no further grandma research if you don't get it, so what the hell, i have a backup save.

ETA: And now my grandma status has gone from awoken to displeased.

Further edit: And the next golden cookie I clicked took away some cookies. Hmmmm...

Last edited by PacifistPorcupine; 09-22-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:51 AM

Oh, okay. I clicked a bad cookie, and my output is halved for 60 seconds or so.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:21 AM
BANNED

Is there a Call of Duty mod for this game?
Old 09-22-2013, 01:26 PM

Levdrakon, don't fear the Red Cookies. They don't always do bad things, they are more of a gamble. They have really paid off for me.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amblydoper View Post
Levdrakon, don't fear the Red Cookies. They don't always do bad things, they are more of a gamble. They have really paid off for me.
Okay, thanks. I've clicked two so far, and both were bad things, but not really that bad. I'll go ahead and click them and see what happens.

I clicked a regular golden cookie and instead of the usual x7, it gave me something like x7777 for 13 seconds. Sweet!
Old 09-22-2013, 01:39 PM
BANNED

The red cookies have some slightly better odds for some super rare, super GOOD stuff. That being said I still prefer the golden cookies.

I'm up to 67 antimatter condensers now.

At this point of the game, over 90% of my cookie production comes from golden cookies. For example, after getting a Frenzy, I got a clicking Frenzy which took me from like 100T to over 770T in a few seconds. Amazing.

The cookies I get from clicking and from CPS is trivial compared to the stuff I get when I get a Lucky during a Frenzy, or even better a Clicking Frenzy during a Frenzy.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:42 PM

I’m kind at a sticking point. I make around 220 million cps but the cheapest upgrades I’m looking at cost upwards of 5 to 99 trillion. Am I really looking at hours or days to save up for upgrades? Have I focused too much on upgrades at the expense of buildings? I have 150 cursors and 24 condensers with everything else in between.

Last edited by sitchensis; 09-22-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitchensis View Post
Iím kind at a sticking point. I make around 220 million cps but the cheapest upgrades Iím looking at cost upwards of 5 to 99 trillion. Am I really looking at hours or days to save up for upgrades? Have I focused too much on upgrades at the expense of buildings? I have 150 cursors and 24 condensers with everything else in between.
Seems like you're reaching the "golden cookie" stage part of the game. You need to focus on clicking as many golden cookies as possible, so you can unlock the golden cookie related upgrades. Those will be your ticket to the vast majority of your cookies from now on.

Once you've clicked 77 golden cookies, you will unlock an extremely valuable upgrade relating to golden cookies that will allow you to occasionally make hundreds of trillions of cookies in seconds.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:09 PM

Thanks, it’s nice to have something to look forward to.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:30 PM

Sorry to ramble, but...

I clicked a clot, and it gave me +6666 cookies, then another appeared, I clicked it and it gave me +6666 cookies, and one more time after that.

I haven't noticed anything different, except those three red cookies in a row.

So that was it? At this point in the game, +6666 cookies is actually worse than a poke in the eye. Well, almost.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:56 PM

It's a cookie chain.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:02 PM
BANNED

3 issues:

How do you attain Golden Cookies?

How do you attain more milk?

Is there any way to shut off the flow of background cookies (lag issue)?
Old 09-22-2013, 03:08 PM

Okay. I clicked on it 1000 times, and it still says producing 0 cookies per second, total 0 cookies clicked. Yawn.

Quote:
If you're not strangely, yet fully addicted after that time, I'll eat my hat.
Would you like some garlic salt or tzatziki to go with that hat?
Old 09-22-2013, 03:12 PM
BANNED

levdrakon, you got a cookie chain. Those can be very good but there is a 10% chance after the first 5 cookies to stop the chain. If it chooses to keep going, it can get up into the trillions with each new cookie! Very awesome stuff. I got one that went to 6.666666 Trillion once.

Mince

Golden cookies appear randomly every 5-10 minutes or so. After you click enough of them, some Lucky Cookie upgrades become available which will make them appear way more often (more like every 1.5-3 minutes)

Milk is attained by winning "achievements." There are 88 achievements to get, and I think you get 3% milk for every achievement. Right now I am at 89% completion on my achievements and have 312% milk.

In the Menu options you can turn off all the fancy graphics (I did just this thing).
Old 09-22-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mince View Post
3 issues:

How do you attain Golden Cookies?
You click on them. They'll appear randomly on the screen.

Quote:

How do you attain more milk?
Get achievements. Click on "Stats" to see your achievements.

Quote:

Is there any way to shut off the flow of background cookies (lag issue)?
You can turn the graphics down in the menu.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Okay. I clicked on it 1000 times, and it still says producing 0 cookies per second, total 0 cookies clicked. Yawn.
That's because you haven't bought any of the things that produce cookies per second, and instead are just relying on the really slow clicks. "0 cookies clicked" means that you haven't produced any cookies via bought cursors.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleciders View Post
You click on them. They'll appear randomly on the screen.

Get achievements. Click on "Stats" to see your achievements.

You can turn the graphics down in the menu.
Thank you x3. You too drew.

Last edited by Mince; 09-22-2013 at 04:04 PM.