Old 02-12-2019, 08:48 AM

I played Big Priest last month – win rate 63%, which is typical for me overall. Went to Rank 4 before switching to casual and messing around with other decks. (I don’t do the grind past Rank 5.)

This month started out about the same but last week I started running into almost all decks specifically aimed at beating Big Priest. Win rate dropped to 56% (including the couple hundred games from last month) over the course of just a few days with losing streaks of eight or more games in a row.

Another thing about Big Priest – Last week I was watching a streamer (apologetically) play it while practicing for the Wild Tournament. He was keeping track of the number of times he got to play Barnes on curve, which should be about 30%. Over the course of a few hundred games he actually got it only 20% of the time.

I didn’t track my Barnes-on-curve but it sure feels like lately I haven’t been hitting it very often. I did start keeping track of the times Shadow Essence drew Barnes; very small sample size before I switched to Mage, but in the six games after I started keeping track Shadow Essence drew Barnes five times.

I’m trying Standard Odd Secret Mage the past few days (30-17 = 64%). Might go back to Odd Paladin when I want to get to Rank 5 for the monthly bonus if Mage doesn’t hold up.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:09 AM

Same old. Same old. I quit playing last year after getting bored out of my skull with everyone playing the same decks. Came back this weekend to see if anything was different. It was. The decks were different. But the game was the same. Climbed easily and fun through the easy ranks, hit about level 17 and it was the same Hunter, Priest, and Mage decks over and over and over and over and over. I'm glad I gave it a shot, but the complete lack of originality in deck building hasn't changed much. Oh well. Back to Persona 5.

Last edited by Hamlet; 02-12-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Wild isn't balanced, but it has a lot more diversity of decks than standard does. May be worth a try.

That's why I've been playing wild the last two months. The standard meta is super boring right now. Endless odd paladins and every form of mindless hunter decks everywhere.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 02-12-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Does Zul'jin repeat the same battlecry for every unit that cast it? Like if I'm playing mill rogue, and play 4 coldlight oracles, will Zul'jin draw 8 cards?

If so, is Zul'jin a good finisher in a mill deck? Seems like anytime they'd hit fatigue before you it'd be good to use him.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Woo, I hit rank 5 in wild. That's the highest I've ever been in wild. I think I may have been 5 before in standard, but it was so long ago.

It seems like all the kingsbane rogues took the night off.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Mecha'thun warlock is a particularly annoying deck. It basically only needs bloodbloom, cataclysm, and mechathun to work. So the rest of the deck can look like a standard warlock deck, and you don't even know you're going to get OTK'd until it happens.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Shit sons they're hall of faming everything.

Genn, Baku, Doomguard, Naturalize, Divine Favor, Glitter Moth, Gloom Stag, Murkspark Eel, Black Cat.

I get the Genn and Baku nerfs, but why do they need to nerf all the other odd/even cards? Seems like you could still design cards to make odd/even decks viable without being too oppressive with Genn and Baku.

Other stuff in there. Better deck auto-complete system, paid single player content, random cardbacks, some other things.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Shit sons they're hall of faming everything.

Genn, Baku, Doomguard, Naturalize, Divine Favor, Glitter Moth, Gloom Stag, Murkspark Eel, Black Cat.

I get the Genn and Baku nerfs, but why do they need to nerf all the other odd/even cards? Seems like you could still design cards to make odd/even decks viable without being too oppressive with Genn and Baku.

Other stuff in there. Better deck auto-complete system, paid single player content, random cardbacks, some other things.
It all sounds interesting - I especially like the concept of Arena not just including standard expansions, but instead six random expansions from the past.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

After a month where I played the game a ton for no particular reason, I'm back to barely doing my daily quests. My interest comes and goes.

Really, they could keep my interest up by innovating, but I've come to realize that they've done almost no innovating in years. We don't have any new multiplayer game modes. Magic has like 10 different ways to play with different restrictions and Hearthstone could work with that idea but doesn't. They could build a fun in-game tournament system so that there were tournaments of different sorts at intervals during the day, which would be a lot of fun, but they haven't.

They could add in a game mode where there's a rotating set of expansions available so that a certain set of cards that has never before been together in standard are now together. This would cure the stagnating meta, because every month (or however long) they could change up which expansions are active, which would keep the meta fresh - no decks would be on top too long, and people would have to frequently figure out what the best decks were with this particular set of cards.

They haven't done anything but print new cards and added a few single player game modes, but became more greedy by requiring more expensive specialized cards for interesting decks as time goes on. They probably deserve to fade into irrelevance.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:06 AM
Charter Member

I decided to construct a tess graymane/spectral cutlass rogue, because that seems like the sort of deck I'd like and I had most of the cards.

My second opponent? Another tess graymane/spectral cutlass rogue.

Neither of us could use the deck properly, since no cards from other classes were ever played.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:12 AM

I jumped back in after a year or two break and man have things changed. I'm only rank 15 in Ranked but I'm facing decks that even when I control the board most of the game and think I'm in good shape I end up getting blown out. I'm using a cheap elemental shaman deck since I lack a lot of the newer cards for Ranked. I know I should expect not to do phenomenal but sometimes it is INCREDIBLY annoying. I actually do better in arena now than constructed. I guess I just need to get more cards so I can build myself one of those annoying ass decks.

I did have an fun arena match the other day. Towards the end of the match I play a Ysera. First card drawn from her, the +5/+5/Kill Minion next turn. The opponent then copies my Ysera. My next turn I copy my Ysera and get 2 more +5/+5. On my next turn I mind control his ysera so now I have three on my side. Get another +5/+5. My opponent then +5/+5 my Ysera. On my turn I play all 3 and am sitting with a 25 attack ysera for the win. Gotta love having 3 Ysera out there....
Old 03-27-2019, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deser2 View Post
I jumped back in after a year or two break and man have things changed. I'm only rank 15 in Ranked but I'm facing decks that even when I control the board most of the game and think I'm in good shape I end up getting blown out. I'm using a cheap elemental shaman deck since I lack a lot of the newer cards for Ranked. I know I should expect not to do phenomenal but sometimes it is INCREDIBLY annoying. I actually do better in arena now than constructed. I guess I just need to get more cards so I can build myself one of those annoying ass decks.
This is probably about the worst time to jump back in to standard constructed, right before a whole bunch of really powerful cards are about to rotate out in mid-April (Baku & Genn, the Deathknights, the quests, Lich King, etc). If I were you, I'd recommend having as much fun as you can in Arena until then, and then concentrate on getting cards after the new year launches.
Constructed will be a whole different world in a few weeks.

I will miss my Mechathun Priest deck though....
Old 04-09-2019, 12:45 PM

So new rotation started today. Not sure if it was mentioned anywhere (I didn't see anything but also wasn't looking) but if you're in the middle of an arena run they end it automatically. I ended up getting 75G on my 4-1 run I was in the middle of and they also gave a free arena entry ticket. Not sure if everyone gets the free entry or if it was just because I was mid-run but I was not thrilled about them ending my run early.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Ending the run, giving the award from where you're at, and refunding the ticket has been their standard way of dealing with this. And it makes sense - it would make people wonder wtf was going on and if there were cheating if someone sat on an arena run for a month, then played with a deck you couldn't build under the current arena rules.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:18 PM

I get the reasoning I just wish that there was some sort of warning last night before I spent the gold.

On the plus side, in this arena run I drafted KT and a shitload of taunt minions so it's looking good so far.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:44 PM

Basically you got a free arena run out of it; the savvy approach is right before a new set, you should start an arena run and play it until you have two losses, then stop and get your freebies.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:51 PM

Came back to Hearthstone for the new expansion and, hopefully, a new, interesting meta. Spent a whopping 140 or so in dust and built a revamped "purify" priest because it looked like fun.

Played it for a couple hours. Faced 2 original, interesting and new decks, 5 mech warriors with bombs and 4 of those academic/hero attack rogues. The speed at which people cut and paste decks and the all but complete lack of originality should be mind boggling, but actually I wasn't surprised at all. Less than a day, and a vast majority of decks I've played are the same.

Last edited by Hamlet; 04-10-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

I'm thinking about crafting Whizbang. I want to play more fun decks and I don't care about netdecking. I'm hoping one day Whizbang gets changed back into classic. If he doesn't I'll be a little disappointed. I might even craft a golden whizbang, even though that's totally unnecessary, because I assume that if you do your whole deck is golden. Is that right?
Old 04-10-2019, 06:41 PM

I have not regretted throwing some dust at a whizbang. (And I believe you're right about how golden whizbang works but am not sure either.)
Old 04-11-2019, 08:04 AM

I feel like there should be a game within a game where you play "Guess the nerf" for every new expansion. Which new cards fit the Hearthstone system of "create overpowered cards", play for awhile, adjust them for tournaments and streamers, then nerf or Hall of Fame them"? You can gain gold or dust by guessing which cards are going to be played by every deck, then eventually need to be nerfed.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking about crafting Whizbang. I want to play more fun decks and I don't care about netdecking. I'm hoping one day Whizbang gets changed back into classic. If he doesn't I'll be a little disappointed. I might even craft a golden whizbang, even though that's totally unnecessary, because I assume that if you do your whole deck is golden. Is that right?
You are correct. The deck will be golden.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

I actually haven't played against a Whizbang deck (that I was aware of). Do you see that it's a Whizbang deck at the start? Or do you appear like you have a normal deck to the other player?

A golden Whizbang could actually be a disadvantage if the other player doesn't know you're using Whizbang at the start. Having a bunch of golden cards (and only golden cards) would tip them off that you have a golden Whizbang and from that they could figure out your exact deck.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 04-12-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I actually haven't played against a Whizbang deck (that I was aware of). Do you see that it's a Whizbang deck at the start? Or do you appear like you have a normal deck to the other player?

A golden Whizbang could actually be a disadvantage if the other player doesn't know you're using Whizbang at the start. Having a bunch of golden cards (and only golden cards) would tip them off that you have a golden Whizbang and from that they could figure out your exact deck.
There is no indication that itís a Whizbang deck.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:37 AM

Holy crap - Murloc Shaman is ridiculous. I can believe that it will last long before something gets nerfed. I am probably close to 90% win rate down around rank 6 ish.

The 2/3 that gives you a murloc card every time you play a murloc is incredible at replenishing your hand - especially combined with Scargil. I have the Hagatha Hero card in the deck but honestly, I've only had 2 games so far where it even got to a point where I COULD play it. It's usually a win @ turn 6.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

I've only been able to play on my phone until recently, so I haven't played much since the expansion, just getting my quests done. Any fun decks this meta?

In wild, big priest got even more ridiculous with the inclusion of archmage Vorgath and Catrina Muerte.

I know they don't give a shit about wild, but they probably should. It wouldn't be that much effort to make a few token balance changes, and sometimes standard is boring.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Oh, ha, Turble - I just noticed that we didn't complete my challenge quest. I have to challenge you, whereas you challenged me, so it didn't do anything. If you want another crack on it I'll be around for a while.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:59 AM

Oh yeah. That kind of rolled right off of me that I didn’t get any reward for that quest.

I’ve had some health issues the past couple months a didn’t get a lot of the new cards. I know it’s not your cuppa tea but I’ve been having an easy time grinding out quests and gold in Wild using various versions of Paladin on HSReplay.

Last edited by Turble; 05-03-2019 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:57 PM

Here's that deck list.

https://hsreplay.net/decks/CfvDjVHDn...pe=RANKED_WILD
Old 05-05-2019, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Thanks. I'm trying to homebrew a standard mech hunter deck. There are a lot of ways to generate bombs, but there's no mechanical leaper in standard so a lot of that synergy is gone. I have oblivitron and boommaster flark although I'm not sure the latter is actually a worthwhile include if I don't have enough magnetic cards in my deck. I'm focusing more on deathrattles than magnetic or bombs.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 05-05-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:21 AM
Charter Member

I've been barely playing the last few months, mostly just doing dailies with wild decks, and I decided to check out the meta and maybe start playing a standard deck. Holy crap they've almost all got like 6 legendaries in them, it's a crazy expensive time to craft a deck. Quest druid looks fun, and it requires me to crack 4 epics and 5 legendaries. Highlander mage needs 10 legendaries! Even the simple highlander hunter requires 7 legendaries. I feel like they've been making the game deliberately more expensive by moving towards more specialized legendaries and more class rather than neutral legendaries. The old wallet warrior would probably be a below average cost deck in the current meta.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I've been barely playing the last few months, mostly just doing dailies with wild decks, and I decided to check out the meta and maybe start playing a standard deck. Holy crap they've almost all got like 6 legendaries in them, it's a crazy expensive time to craft a deck. Quest druid looks fun, and it requires me to crack 4 epics and 5 legendaries. Highlander mage needs 10 legendaries! Even the simple highlander hunter requires 7 legendaries. I feel like they've been making the game deliberately more expensive by moving towards more specialized legendaries and more class rather than neutral legendaries. The old wallet warrior would probably be a below average cost deck in the current meta.
Yeah, I just re-installed from a multi-set break, and even down at level 24-25 I saw nutty-expensive decks. And gold portraits/Legendary cardbacks, so I can't be the only one returning now.

And they've changed how arena works (there are 'buckets' of cards?everything has taunt?) so that's a bit odd. I do like the single player stuff though.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:04 AM
Charter Member

Weell.. I kinda get the too many legendaries complaint, but at the same time, it was kinda boring to play the old decks where the main theme was just "bump more minions". If anything, it just means that they're finally printing legendaries that are actually interesting enough to put in decks.

I've been playing tempo rogue for 5 years now (whew~!) and the initial GVG tempo Rogue looked a lot more boring than now. I mean, back then, Thalnos was considered a top craft (that is one boring card), and maybe you played Edwin and Leeroy - both of which are classic and are still staples today. The only real difference in Legendaries are Zephrys and Myra's, and I think it's reasonable to say that those 2 cards should be legendary.

That said, you could easily still build budget zoo and tempo decks without these legendaries and only drop a few win%, so I'm not horribly fussed about things.

Anyway, the last time I paid for cards was maybe Ungoro or KOFT, and I'm still actually managing to craft all the decks I want (helps that I only want to play Rogue tho). I'm actually surprised that I don't feel more need to drop money on packs, but hey, good for me.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:16 AM
Charter Member

I'm all for more specialty cards to make unusual mechanics that lead to interesting decks. But they've clearly done this in the name of greed - lowering the number of neutral legendaries, increasing class legendaries, making legendaries more niche so they work in fewer decks (or to run a certain deck, you'd need to craft a niche legendary just for that deck). If they'd lowered the cost of legendaries, or increased the amount of dust you got from disenchanting, or otherwise made getting those array of niche legendaries more affordable, it'd be good for the game. As it is, it just means you can only afford to play 1 or 2 decks per expansion unless you want to dump a lot of money.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:51 PM

While I no longer play it nearly as much as I used to, I still pick it up every so often. It's a fun, familiar, and easy game to dip in and out of and see just how silly the meta gets.

But I'm done now. Not that I will be missed, but I no longer will play Hearthstone thanks to their decision to take prize money from and ban a player for showing support of the protestors in Hong Kong.

More painfully, just a few months after finally getting a golden weapon, I also will be deleting my Overwatch game. Screw Blizzard and their cowardice and support of a corrupt, authoritarian regime.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
While I no longer play it nearly as much as I used to, I still pick it up every so often. It's a fun, familiar, and easy game to dip in and out of and see just how silly the meta gets.

But I'm done now. Not that I will be missed, but I no longer will play Hearthstone thanks to their decision to take prize money from and ban a player for showing support of the protestors in Hong Kong.

More painfully, just a few months after finally getting a golden weapon, I also will be deleting my Overwatch game. Screw Blizzard and their cowardice and support of a corrupt, authoritarian regime.
Thanks for this note Hamlet. I’ve been debating whether to try WoW Classic, some colleagues at work play and I have some nostalgia about Vanilla. But screw Blizzard. I’m not giving them my money.

I’d boycott the NBA too but I haven’t followed them since the Sonics got taken from Seattle.

Last edited by Atamasama; 10-08-2019 at 03:59 PM.